Zetterberg Done For the Tournament (see warning in post #115)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Why the hell should IOC bend the rules for NHL, AGAIN? how about NHL starts doing something for the international hockey?

My understanding is that European fans want to their teams with their best players go against the best in this tournament. Of course you do, I get it.

But what else is it doing for fans? Is it really creating a bunch of new hockey fans/players? Why can't people get excited about hockey simply by watching it or playing it, wherever they can find it. Because if non-Olympic hockey doesn't do it for those people, then they'll just stop watching after the Olympics anyway.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
My understanding is that European fans want to their teams with their best players go against the best in this tournament. Of course you do, I get it.

But what else is it doing for fans? Is it really creating a bunch of new hockey fans/players? Why can't people get excited about hockey simply by watching it, wherever they can find it. Because if non-Olympic hockey doesn't do it for those people, then they'll just stop watching after the Olympics anyway.

Well this could be argued both ways,but really there are no statistics to prove in either way.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Why the hell should IOC bend the rules for NHL, AGAIN? how about NHL starts doing something for the international hockey?

They did they let their top players participate and now it will soon be repealed. Bill Daly even commented on that in his interview regarding player injuries and how that is a paramount concern to the NHL and the NHLPA.

"Player injury is an important factor. In Torino, in 2006, we had a couple of key players get injured and not be able to help their NHL teams down the stretch and that left a sour taste in the heads of a lot of our owners. In Vancouver, we were almost injury free, so it was a totally different experience," Daly told the Globe and Mail

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As a HABS fan I will be pissed if say PK or Price or Pleks get injured and can't play after the Olympics. To me the NHL outweighs the Olympics hands down. The players are a substantial investment to the owners of their respective NHL clubs. Can you tell me that you wouldn't be pissed if you were say the owner of the Rangers and Lundquist and a couple others went to their tournament and were injured and couldn't come back and finnish the season for you? I have a feeling you may be a tad pissed.
Here's the huge abyss in reasoning between European (or more like, the rest of the world) and NA fans. "Their investment". That "investment" happens to be a guy with a name. **** their investment who they got for coffee money from the same country that wants him to represent his country once every 4 years. This isn't a circus, this isn't a hedge fund, this isn't cattle, it's a sport.

If they want international star players to play for them, you can't keep the cake and eat it. The rest of the world are used to this, they understand that the national team is the national team and they dont' start crying and start the blame game if their club's star player gets injured playing for their national team. The self righteousness of the NHL and its narrowminded fans who think like this, is what makes it so easy to start boycotting this joke league, once the NHL's decision to boycott the olympics is official.

This is why a league can't dictate the entire sport globally. Then it comes down to this ****. Then you can just let the sport of hockey crawl down in some hole and die. The NHL has the money to get the best players, but its also the biggest communist joke league in the world, that is run by a bunch of corporatist clowns. Apparently, communism is a great ideology when it suits them.
I guess what I am getting at is that on a worldwide level, hockey is and always will be a niche sport...
Like we have to speculate a huge reason as to why.

Last edited:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
They did they let their top players participate and now it will soon be repealed. Bill Daly even commented on that in his interview regarding player injuries and how that is a paramount concern to the NHL and the NHLPA.

NHLPA also wants to do what the players want. If the players want to go to the Olympics, they will. Simple as that.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Well this could be argued both ways,but really there are no statistics to prove in either way.

I guess what I am getting at is that on a worldwide level, hockey is and always will be a niche sport. It will always be behind sports like Soccer and Basketball. The beauty of hockey is its uniqueness and complexity. There aren't as many casual hockey fans as there are of other sports. You usually either love this game to the fabric of your being and are not interested in it. And if you truly love it, you'll play or watch anything hockey related.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
At least for the Wings organization my guess is the IOC is paying him until he can step back on ice. He said he felt pain during the game, not entirely out of the norm but much worse the next day. Either way he suffered a severe worsening of his condition in the Olympics have said before I think most of this is probably from sitting on a plane for 10 straight hours. His other noticeable dip in play came on the West coast swing, long flight not surprising. It is what it is, but it certainly sucks for Wings fans and is fair to comment as such.

He was going to go and play though that much is clear. He at least appeared healthy enough unlike Datsyuk in the run in and has actually been playing at a high level.

Whichever company IOC used to handle the insurances, will handle this.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Whichever company IOC used to handle the insurances, will handle this.

Honestly, at what level (in millions) do you think it have to get to for the IOC to say, "we can't afford this anymore"? 10M, 20M, more?

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
NHLPA also wants to do what the players want. If the players want to go to the Olympics, they will. Simple as that.

The PA is also concerned about this as it affects their members. The NHL refusesd to cover their insurance while playing in a non NHL sanctioned tournament the NHL teams insurance refuses to cover them and Hockey Canada etc due to insurance costs refuse to insure them. So that plays into things also and the PA knows this. I have a feeling that the PA sides with the NHL going forward on this especially if the WCofH is brought back.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
A reminder for everyone, about site rule number 2:

2) Trolling: Do not make posts or threads with the sole purpose of starting a dispute. Note that a person disagreeing with your opinion is NOT trolling; please keep it civil, even if you're sure the other person is wrong. When visiting the team forums, please note that they are fan forums for that team and are here mainly for the enjoyment of that team's fans. Do not visit team forums to cheer against nor demean their team. In other words, if you want to cheer for the Habs and criticize the Bruins, do it on the Habs board. And if someone is doing the opposite on the Bruins board, don't start flaming them to defend the honor of your team. Either ignore it or respectfully disagree and move on. Wishing illness or injury on someone will almost always be regarded as trolling or offensive. We do not permit any forums to be used to demean/insult the fans of other teams. That is considered trolling. Copying posts from one HFBoard team forum to another for this purpose is considered trolling.

This rule also applies to this board. In other word, the International tournament board is here for the enjoyement of fans of international hockey. Don't post here if you want to bash the Olympics. The Red Wings, NHL or Business boards are the places to discuss the impact of Zetterberg's injury on Detroit's season.

Thanks.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Honestly, at what level (in millions) do you think it have to get to for the IOC to say, "we can't afford this anymore"? 10M, 20M, more?

Hockey Canada in Aug wouldn't let the guys skate due to insurance costs. It was going to be over a million plus to cover them for a 2 hour on ice practice.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I guess a funny part of this argument whenever we have it is I would watch the NCAA guys run the risk of getting their skulls thumped in by KHL and other European pros and still enjoy the Olympic aspect. I just like watching hockey just like I watch a lot of European games online.

It doesn't make much sense from a risk assessment or business standpoint for the NHL to continue this relationship. I don't think the fans they gain from this are by in large much different than how I am with alpine skiing, yeah I watch it every four years in the Olympics and the next time I am going to watch it will be in Korea.

All I take issue with is people saying who cares about the Wings. Well as a Wings fan this hurt a ton. It hurt to watch a star player and beloved captain go down and not be able to represent his country. It hurts to have complete uncertainty going forward. That their playoff chances have been more than halved by this news.

Also Zetterberg is going to live pretty for the rest of his life because of the cash they have paid him. But more to that point (I am not one though I have a family member that qualifies) if you're a Wings season ticket holder you just lost your best player this season over in a tournament that might not mean a whole lot to you, hey maybe it does, but at thousands of dollars that is pretty crappy.

I get we do the back and forth on here and it can turn NA vs. European, but this is a bad deal for the Wings and they can rightfully be listed as a big loser here. I don't have to enjoy the who gives a **** point being made.

Bottom line is Billion dollar companies/leagues don't do snap judgments often at all, this growing the game aspect constantly referenced in this argument by some, is something that clearly is not showing up in the data they are running on this see Ed Snider's comments.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
You just watch, he goes back to NA and gets clearance from the Detroit doctors. They'll just drug him and make him play to still have a chance of making the playoffs and rake in the cash, just like they did before. The actual people are secondary.

It's also pretty funny that some people think it was okay to have him play NHL games, but a 10 hour flight is irresponsible. :laugh:
By the way, NHLers leaving for the Olympics need to undergo a final medical clearance by NHL staff. Apparently, they had no issues with Zetterberg heading for Russia.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Again, this is a double standard since they intend to stage the World cup in February as well. The risk of injury is far greater there.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Here's the huge abyss in reasoning between European (or more like, the rest of the world) and NA fans. "Their investment". That "investment" happens to be a guy with a name. **** their investment who they got for coffee money from the same country that wants him to represent his country once every 4 years. This isn't a circus, this isn't a hedge fund, this isn't cattle, it's a sport.

If they want international star players to play for them, you can't keep the cake and eat it. The rest of the world are used to this, they understand that the national team is the national team and they dont' start crying and start the blame game if their club's star player gets injured playing for their national team. The self righteousness of the NHL and its narrowminded fans who think like this, is what makes it so easy to start boycotting this joke league, once the NHL's decision to boycott the olympics is official.

This is why a league can't dictate the entire sport globally. Then it comes down to this ****. Then you can just let the sport of hockey crawl down in some hole and die. The NHL has the money to get the best players, but its also the biggest communist joke league in the world, that is run by a bunch of corporatist clowns. Apparently, communism is a great ideology when it suits them.

Like we have to speculate a huge reason as to why.

citizen-kane-clapping.jpg

Amen, brother, amen.

And what a huge loss for Sweden. I almost feel sorry for you guys, but then I remember Koivu and Filppula. Welcome to the club (of self-pity).

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
As a fan of Team Sweden and a non-fan of Detroit I still understand if they want him to rest.

Don't forget that NHL players are million dollar investments; by having players in the Olympics clubs are taking an enormous risk with their assets without getting anything back.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You just watch, he goes back to NA and gets clearance from the Detroit doctors. They'll just drug him and make him play to still have a chance of making the playoffs and rake in the cash, just like they did before. The actual people are secondary.

It's also pretty funny that some people think it was okay to have him play NHL games, but a 10 hour flight is irresponsible. :laugh:
By the way, NHLers leaving for the Olympics need to undergo a final medical clearance by NHL staff. Apparently, they had no issues with Zetterberg heading for Russia.

Flying form the east coast to the west coast hurts my back and I don't even have an injury history there. It is the reason why when you type in flying and back pain you get 65,000,000 results on google. Not exactly a secret, also something Bertuzzi, Helm and Zetterberg have all talked about in the past in terms of those west coast trips being a real pain.

I think they are probably going to have him have the corrective surgery while he is on the IOC's dime.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
The PA is also concerned about this as it affects their members. The NHL refusesd to cover their insurance while playing in a non NHL sanctioned tournament the NHL teams insurance refuses to cover them and Hockey Canada etc due to insurance costs refuse to insure them. So that plays into things also and the PA knows this. I have a feeling that the PA sides with the NHL going forward on this especially if the WCofH is brought back.

Then make the players pay for their own insurance. They all get paid enough. Leading up to the Olympics dock it from their pay.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Flying form the east coast to the west coast hurts my back and I don't even have an injury history there. It is the reason why when you type in flying and back pain you get 65,000,000 results on google.

Definitely, there is a big threshold of discomfort after 3 or 4 hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad