Zetterberg Done For the Tournament (see warning in post #115)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
... then go whine on the Wings board. What are you even doing here if the Olympics don't matter to you?

I like the Olympics a great deal, have said as much. Doesn't change the fact again this sucks for three entities. Cannot remember once saying I don't care about the Olympics. When challenged I was explaining why the people you are saying who gives a **** to might be fairly upset and yes some of those probably don't care for the tournament, that doesn't really fit me but whatever. I watch a ton of hockey, won't care at all if the NHL leaves the Olympics won't change anything for me, I will still watch it. NHL, AHL, CHL, World Championships, SHL, KHL whatever I can watch I usually do including the Olympics when I was younger sans NA professional leagues.

We can just disagree, for now we will only talk about the one team that lost their team captain to an injury that went from nagging to very serious at the Olympics. Sure it was a ticking time bomb, but there really cannot be much of debate this has gotten severely worse here in the last several days that is a fact. It is rough blow to all of hockey, one of the 20 best players in the entire world went down for an indefinite period of time yesterday during the Olympics and will continue to be out for what sounds like long after. If it makes you feel better to just ignore one angle, this is also a huge loss for the Team Sweden's World Championship team, sounds like he is no longer available there either.

I enjoy international hockey a great deal, this is certainly a trapping to being involved in it in the middle of a season.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
A reminder of post #115:

A reminder for everyone, about site rule number 2:

2) Trolling: Do not make posts or threads with the sole purpose of starting a dispute. Note that a person disagreeing with your opinion is NOT trolling; please keep it civil, even if you're sure the other person is wrong. When visiting the team forums, please note that they are fan forums for that team and are here mainly for the enjoyment of that team's fans. Do not visit team forums to cheer against nor demean their team. In other words, if you want to cheer for the Habs and criticize the Bruins, do it on the Habs board. And if someone is doing the opposite on the Bruins board, don't start flaming them to defend the honor of your team. Either ignore it or respectfully disagree and move on. Wishing illness or injury on someone will almost always be regarded as trolling or offensive. We do not permit any forums to be used to demean/insult the fans of other teams. That is considered trolling. Copying posts from one HFBoard team forum to another for this purpose is considered trolling.

This rule also applies to this board. In other word, the International tournament board is here for the enjoyement of fans of international hockey. Don't post here if you want to bash the Olympics. The Red Wings, NHL or Business boards are the places to discuss the impact of Zetterberg's injury on Detroit's season.

Thanks.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Can't players make more money in the KHL? I would imagine the NHL is the most appealing league because it's where the best players in the world all come together and compete. The NHL offers international talent the chance to be the best hockey player they can be. The money is amazing if you're a top end player, certainly better than anything you'd get in the SEL, but it's not the only motivating factor.

The top guys are comparable but the salary cap in the NHL is almost double the salary cap in the KHL so I can't see the KHL matching most non Russian player's contracts. I'd assume that most come to the NHL for the money 1st & the higher competition for 2nd, though I really don't know.

If the Owners and GMs of the NHL are going to follow the same tune as you, I'm going to be really curious to see what happens in 2018 with players breaching contracts and what not. This is the Olympics. Not allowing athletes to represent their country, a source of tremendous pride for ANYONE IN ANY NATION (not just Swedes by the way), is a disgrace. It's a myopic business decision and it would be a real shame to never be able to see this level of excitement again.

The NHL would ask the IIHF to not allow them to compete as it is a breach of contract. IIRC the IIHF would not allow the players to play as they normally respect the NHL's suspensions, this would be similar.

I guess it's different in Europe but I honestly don't know anyone that dreams of playing in the Olympics over playing in the NHL. It may be different in other sports but the most prestigious item you can win in NA hockey is the Stanley Cup.

I enjoy the Olympics & I do think players should continue to go but I also think that NHL clubs should have the ability to say no to a player going if they deem it's best for the team.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
When a player signs a contract the team paying his bills has the right to tell them where they can & can't play, assuming they are 100% healthy.
In this instance it appears he was not 100% healthy. Yet Detroit still played him.

If Detroit can play him, I don't see why Sweden shouldn't.

An NHL player's #1 focus should be on helping his team
When he plays for that team, sure. When he plays for Sweden though his #1 focus should be on helping Sweden, not the Wings.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hypothetical:

Would it be at all unfair for an NHL team to legally inform a player in 2018 (assuming they're allowed to play in the OG)

"You can play in the Olympics, however, any injury you receive, be it a new injury or aggravating an old one, you will not be receiving a pay check from us, the NHL, the IIHF or anyone else until you are recovered from your injury. We respect the ambition and pride involved in wanting to represent your country, and wish you tremendous success. However, we've made a substantial financial commitment for you to play for our hockey team and an injury sustained while NOT playing for our hockey team is not something we feel was in our best interest upon agreeing to this long financial commitment to you."

Players are still allowed to represent their country. Teams are not bound to any financial commitment until their player is healed. Seems like a fair compromise

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
In this instance it appears he was not 100% healthy. Yet Detroit still played him.
If Detroit can play him, I don't see why Sweden shouldn't.

When he plays for that team, sure. When he plays for Sweden though his #1 focus should be on helping Sweden, not the Wings.

You type this as though Zetterberg was begging not to play and Babcock, Holland, and Ilitch were tazering him until he got onto the ice. You so easily make sensationalist claims that the NHL doesn't treat players like people, but like an inventory item. Yet you are guilty of the same. Maybe Zetterberg, a grown man, made an adult decision to play through some pain because he loves playing hockey? Maybe he wanted to get as much hockey in before the Olympics so he could be as ready as possible to represent his country?

Zetterberg isn't just some asset for Team Sweden. He's a human being who loves hockey. His career is based in Detroit Michigan playing for the Red Wings and every four years he represents his nation because he chooses too. If he wants to play the game he loves in Detroit, even though he's injured, who the hell are you to blame him or the Red Wings just because he's now not healthy to play for your Olympic team?

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Confirmed.

Last time he had this he didn't skate for two weeks and initial reports having him dealing with a lot more pain, for instance he wasn't bed ridden last time which is some of what is being reported today.

Bad news all round then. I was dismayed when Russia lost some of it's checking forwards in the weeks leading up to Sochi, but that pales in comparison to losing Zetterberg, even if he was never going to be at 100% anyway for this tournament in the first place.

Gaggelini

Jan 15, 2009
Cudos to chimp for his elequent post, was my sentiment to when i read some of the comments here, but calming down it might have been a bit harsh.

I do not think NHL is a joke league and as for some other comments about players coming there only for cash, i do not belive that is all. I would go so far as to say most europlayers also considder the honor to play in the best league in the world.
Who doesnt want to compete against the best?

As for blaming this "injury" on og, i dont get how anyone can belive Z couldve played more than one game in nhl without getting the same thing. This slipped disk keeps occuring, and it is not that serious as far as time is concerned.

I bet everyone here knows someone with a slipped disk, i comes and it goes. Rest a bit and it goes away.

I will however sign off on how great my disapointment would be if NHL boycotted the olympics, and chimps comment about communist way of thinking isnt far off.

[mod]

Anyway, deeply saddened by seeing my favorite player go, but i will still love the olympic games.

Last edited by a moderator:

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
I like the Olympics a great deal, have said as much. Doesn't change the fact again this sucks for three entities. Cannot remember once saying I don't care about the Olympics.
You referred to the Olympics as a "tournament that might not mean a whole lot to you". I simply went on with your sentence using the same generic "you".

When challenged I was explaining why the people you are saying who gives a **** to might be fairly upset and yes some of those probably don't care for the tournament,
Well they have no reason to be upset then. If they don't care for the Olympics and feel the need to say so in the Olympics board, then they should be prepared to read that we don't care about Detroit and not be upset about it.

It is rough blow to all of hockey, one of the 20 best players in the entire world went down for an indefinite period of time yesterday during the Olympics and will continue to be out for what sounds like long after. If it makes you feel better to just ignore one angle,
It's not about feeling better, it's just that we are on the Olympics board, so of course Sweden takes precedence over Detroit. I expect the reverse to be true on the Wings board which I don't visit because I don't care about the Wings.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
You type this as though Zetterberg was begging not to play and Babcock, Holland, and Ilitch were tazering him until he got onto the ice.
It makes no difference. The NHL team is supposed to take care of their assets and if a player is not healthy he should not be allowed to play. If team decide to disregard his condition and play him anyway, then of course they should be the one paying the price if an injury happens.

You so easily make sensationalist claims that the NHL doesn't treat players like people, but like an inventory item. Yet you are guilty of the same. Maybe Zetterberg, a grown man, made an adult decision to play through some pain because he loves playing hockey? Maybe he wanted to get as much hockey in before the Olympics so he could be as ready as possible to represent his country?
It happens all the time that grown men are forbidden to work and are required to rest disirregardless of whether they want it or not. It shouldn't be their decision, that's the doctor's job.

If he wants to play the game he loves in Detroit, even though he's injured, who the hell are you to blame him or the Red Wings just because he's now not healthy to play for your Olympic team?
I don't blame him, I blame whoever plays injured players. My employer is responsible for not putting my health at risk while I'm working for him. If he knows of a risk and disregards it resulting in an injury, he's punishable by the law, so of course I will blame him.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

It makes no difference. The NHL team is supposed to take care of their assets and if a player is not healthy he should not be allowed to play. If team decide to disregard his condition and play him anyway, then of course they should be the one paying the price if an injury happens.

So now players are assets then? Not people with motivations and desires of their own? If athletes only played when they were fully healthy they would spend gigantic chunks of their careers sitting on their butts. Zetterberg aggravated a past injury while in a game playing for Sweden. Sweden disregarded Zetterberg's health status when they selected him to play for their team. Of course they should be the one paying the price now that an injury has happened right?

It happens all the time that grown men are forbidden to work and are required to rest disirregardless of whether they want it or not. It shouldn't be their decision, that's the doctor's job.

It shouldn't be their decision? So businesses like NHL teams should make decisions for their assets (i.e. players) then? Based on what their doctor's say of course...

I don't blame him, I blame whoever plays injured players. My employer is responsible for not putting my health at risk while I'm working for him. If he knows of a risk and disregards it resulting in an injury, he's punishable by the law, so of course I will blame him.

Again, Zetterberg injured himself while playing for Detroit. Sweden knew this and disregarded it when making their selection. Zetterberg, while in a game for Sweden, aggravated an injury he sustained in Detroit. I don't understand how the Red Wings are any more or less responsible than Team Sweden is for Zetterberg's health.

You continue to make hypocritical claims backed up by absolutely nothing. You forget that these are athletes playing a sport. Injuries happen. They love playing hockey more than anything else in the world and they'll do so on their own accord regardless of their health. Instead of getting so caught up in blaming someone, why don't you just take a deep breath and realize that while this injury is awful, they do happen and it's quite unfortunate for Team Sweden, yourself, the people of Sweden, the fans of the Red Wings, the Red Wings, and Henrik Zetterberg himself.

Or just keep needlessly putting blame on people, either way sorry to hear about Z's injury. He's a great player and I was really looking forward to watching him play in this tournament

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
This did not happen because he was over sea's playing for his country! Had a bad back, that can pop up any old time. Sometimes just getting out of bed! I see a lot of people complaining and starting crap, But the sad fact is a very very good hockey player and a very good person is hurt and could very well never play again!! Thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Back injuries are awful.

Something as simple as bending down to tie your skate, or reaching for a box of cereal on the top shelf of the cabinet can do you in.

Hope to see him recover quickly. Never like to see good guys like that get injured.

nwaZ*

How do you fix herniated disc anyway? It's sounds like a pretty serious condition. I can't imagine that it is good long-term to play hockey with an injury like that lingering. There is a life after hockey too...

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Back injuries are awful.

Something as simple as bending down to tie your skate, or reaching for a box of cereal on the top shelf of the cabinet can do you in.

Hope to see him recover quickly. Never like to see good guys like that get injured.

A few years ago I hurt my back playing hockey. Reaggravated it sneezing. :laugh:

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Damn it seems like some of the Olympic fans in this thread are like NHL haters or something... Comments like "Who the hell cares about NHL team X" and whatnot.

Didn't think I would find that here.. I thought everyone on this forum watched NHL hockey.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Damn it seems like some of the Olympic fans in this thread are like NHL haters or something... Comments like "Who the hell cares about NHL team X" and whatnot.

Didn't think I would find that here.. I thought everyone on this forum watched NHL hockey.

I don't think people outside of NA, by and large, really care about the NHL. I know I would if I was there but I've always gotten the vibe that it isn't a big deal for them. I don't know if they somehow feel cheated by losing their good players to the NHL, can't get a good feed for the games or what exactly it is.

nwaZ*

I don't think people outside of NA, by and large, really care about the NHL. I know I would if I was there but I've always gotten the vibe that it isn't a big deal for them. I don't know if they somehow feel cheated by losing their good players to the NHL, can't get a good feed for the games or what exactly it is.

A lot of NA's talk down the WHC and even the Olympics which we europeans find pretty ridiculous. WHC I can understand to some extent, it isn't very exciting. But the Olympics? Come on... Giroux and St Louis was devastated when they weren't selected. I think that tells more about the Olympics and national team play than you want to admit. The players want to represent their countries in a best-on-best tournament.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
So sick and tired of watching ALL my favourite teams go down to injuries... First Ottawa last season and now Detroit and Sweden...
Maybe time to shorten the season to 72 or maybe 68 games or something?
I rather have a shorter season with healthier players especially come playoff time and special occasions such as olympics.

I HAVE WAITED 4 YEARS FOR THIS! "!/=#="/!!!!!! GODDANM!N
I was realy looking forward to Sedins with Karlsson on the point on big ice... like realy!! and now Zetterberg the captain...

I still believe we have team good enough to compete with the best and gold, its a short tournament. but if we dont, I will use all these excuses in frustration and anger.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
A lot of NA's talk down the WHC and even the Olympics which we europeans find pretty ridiculous. WHC I can understand to some extent, it isn't very exciting. But the Olympics? Come on... Giroux and St Louis was devastated when they weren't selected. I think that tells more about the Olympics and national team play than you want to admit. The players want to represent their countries in a best-on-best tournament.

Yeah, for sure. I'm trying to get really into it this time around. I'll be getting up at 6AM tomorrow to watch the U.S.-Russia game.

To me, in this country (U.S.), nothing is ever going to top the 1980 games. People still talk about it all of the time. I'd like a chance to see something like that in my lifetime. Maybe a U.S.-Russia final in Russia could rekindle some of that level of excitement.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Hypothetical:

Would it be at all unfair for an NHL team to legally inform a player in 2018 (assuming they're allowed to play in the OG)

Players are still allowed to represent their country. Teams are not bound to any financial commitment until their player is healed. Seems like a fair compromise

Sure, I could see the trenches being moved then. Both national hockey organisations and mother organisations could up the ante in the players earlier years before the NHL is involved. It really will come to no good in the end.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Can't players make more money in the KHL? I would imagine the NHL is the most appealing league because it's where the best players in the world all come together and compete. The NHL offers international talent the chance to be the best hockey player they can be. The money is amazing if you're a top end player, certainly better than anything you'd get in the SEL, but it's not the only motivating factor.

If the Owners and GMs of the NHL are going to follow the same tune as you, I'm going to be really curious to see what happens in 2018 with players breaching contracts and what not. This is the Olympics. Not allowing athletes to represent their country, a source of tremendous pride for ANYONE IN ANY NATION (not just Swedes by the way), is a disgrace. It's a myopic business decision and it would be a real shame to never be able to see this level of excitement again.

By not allowing their players go to OG/WC, the NHL teams could kill Hockeys future (A.K.A. young talent inspired by their countrymen) by their own paranoia/stupidity & greed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->