Zetterberg Done For the Tournament (see warning in post #115)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So, you still think you would have gotten that silver in Turin, even if Selänne and Koivu had been Injured?
Yeah, didnt think so.
Finland's best scorer in the final three games was Olli Jokinen, btw. With support from Ville Peltonen. The first line hardly accounted after the preliminary round.

But yeah, to be frank, it would have been a lot steeper. Just as Sweden's road to gold would have been without Patrick Fisher and Anders Ambühl.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Even though he was injured heading into the Olympics?

Yes because if the guy was smart he would have declined and stayed in Detroit to rest up rather than play. The Wings allowed him to go and I am sure with reservations but being a classy organization wouldn't tell him not to play. Now I am sure they are kicking themselves for not saying no. If I was Iilitch I would be saying no to any other requests for games outside of the NHL and I can see the other 29 Owners doing so also. We already know how Ed Snider feels and I am sure most others do also. It is a risk reward scenario and this time the reward is not outweighing the risk sadly.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
The amount of injuries some teams have had is unfortunate. Finland and Slovakia were hit hard before the tournament even started and now you got to think even with the depth of Sweden's roster the injuries would start having an impact. With Datsyuk sounding/looking pretty iffy Russia, who I believe already had to replace a couple of guys heading in, might be joining the list soon as well.

I believe the only country to not lose a guy off their originally named roster, at least among the contenders, is the US.

Swedish playmaker*

Yes because if the guy was smart he would have declined and stayed in Detroit to rest up rather than play. The Wings allowed him to go and I am sure with reservations but being a classy organization wouldn't tell him not to play. Now I am sure they are kicking themselves for not saying no. If I was Iilitch I would be saying no to any other requests for games outside of the NHL and I can see the other 29 Owners doing so also. We already know how Ed Snider feels and I am sure most others do also. It is a risk reward scenario and this time the reward is not outweighing the risk sadly.

It's the Olympics. Seriously, get real.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
What difference does it make if Zetterberg injured himself in the olympics or if it would've been in a league game? With the condition with his back, is someone seriously suggesting this happened because he played in the olympics? There was no incident, it was the wear and tear.

Would it have felt better if it was against Boston instead of Czech Republic or what?

And regardless, if an NHL player injures himself in the olympics: grow up. That's what other major sports have done, they accept the risks of having world class players on their roster. The NHL are too spoiled for their own good.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
The very fact that they wanted to play in the Olympics injured should tell you a little something as to how important it is to them. Anyone quick to try and deny them that doesn't think from a players point of view.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
What difference does it make if Zetterberg injured himself in the olympics or if it would've been in a league game? With the condition with his back, is someone seriously suggesting this happened because he played in the olympics? There was no incident, it was the wear and tear.

Would it have felt better if it was against Boston instead of Czech Republic or what?

And regardless, if an NHL player injures himself in the olympics: grow up. That's what other major sports have done, they accept the risks of having world class players on their roster.

In some North American fans opinion,yes, they almost think of players as property not, you know, actual players.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh my god, who the hell cares about Wings? I do however feel bad about Swedish fans,huge loss to them.

Wings fans care about the Wings. Three pretty clear losers here in Zetterberg himself, Team Sweden and the Detroit Red Wings. You could also probably include a ton of NHL fans with tickets to the remaining games.

This was the risk of letting him play and sit on a 10 hour flight, they just couldn't say no to him captaining it. To be honest for those saying who cares about them, it is pretty ridiculous, I get it you don't like the NHL, but the Wings are a big loser in terms of how this played out. Hide behind whatever you want, that it was there before or whatever else, but the guy was healthy enough to play NHL hockey before he landed in Russia and now he won't be for what sounds like a very long time.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

And regardless, if an NHL player injures himself in the olympics: grow up. That's what other major sports have done, they accept the risks of having world class players on their roster. The NHL are too spoiled for their own good.

Herniated disk is also something that might flare up or it might not. He seemed to have no trouble against the Czechs. One can't really blame it on the Olympics, it could just as easily happened in a regular season game.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Wings fans care about the Wings. Three pretty clear losers here in Zetterberg himself, Team Sweden and the Detroit Red Wings. You could also probably include a ton of NHL fans with tickets to the remaining games.

This was the risk of letting him play and sit on a 10 hour flight, they just couldn't say no to him captaining it. To be honest for those saying who cares about them, it is pretty ridiculous, I get it you don't like the NHL, but the Wings are a big loser in terms of how this played out. Hide behind whatever you want, that it was there before or whatever else, but the guy was healthy enough to play NHL hockey before he landed in Russia and now he won't be for what sounds like a very long time.

Now to clear things up,i`m Boston Bruins fan myself,so me not liking NHL is out of the question,its just that i hold a firm belief that National Team in Olympics comes first,always.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Hide behind whatever you want, that it was there before or whatever else, but the guy was healthy enough to play NHL hockey before he landed in Russia and now he won't be for what sounds like a very long time.
You seem to be the one hiding behind something. Other Wings fans insist he was already injured and the team still played him when they probably shouldn't have. The Wings gambled with his health, it's only fair that they should have to pay the price for it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Herniated disk is also something that might flare up or it might not. He seemed to have no trouble against the Czechs. One can't really blame it on the Olympics, it could just as easily happened in a regular season game.

At least for the Wings organization my guess is the IOC is paying him until he can step back on ice. He said he felt pain during the game, not entirely out of the norm but much worse the next day. Either way he suffered a severe worsening of his condition in the Olympics have said before I think most of this is probably from sitting on a plane for 10 straight hours. His other noticeable dip in play came on the West coast swing, long flight not surprising. It is what it is, but it certainly sucks for Wings fans and is fair to comment as such.

He was going to go and play though that much is clear. He at least appeared healthy enough unlike Datsyuk in the run in and has actually been playing at a high level.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
WOW! that's a huge blow to team SWE!! even bigger for DET though. anyone knows the extent of the injury, possibly season ending?

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
And this is why NHL players shouldn't participate in the Olympics. Holland must be super pissed right now.

Holland is part of team Canada. As a Canadian he's probably thrilled the favourite in the tournament has some injury bad luck. Right now, he's probably not even thinking about the NHL. What bugs me is people forget that for the GM's that are apart of the teams at the Olympics, it's just as important to them as the players.

He's been playing with a bad back most of the season. He missed all of December, and after he came back in January it was obvious his back was still bothering him and he was playing hurt.

If there were no Olympics Z's back would still have eventually gone again in the NHL.

Back injuries are a female dog.

The very fact that they wanted to play in the Olympics injured should tell you a little something as to how important it is to them. Anyone quick to try and deny them that doesn't think from a players point of view.

Shows he wants to win for his country. Can't hate him for that.

Sucks for Zetterberg. He's one of my favourite players and I hadn't even seen Sweden play yet. Feel bad for the Swedish fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You seem to be the one hiding behind something. Other Wings fans insist he was already injured and the team still played him when they probably shouldn't have. The Wings gambled with his health, it's only fair that they should have to pay the price for it.

He has had back issues for half a decade. He was playing at a high rate especially lately with Nyquist. His back hasn't been a major issue in a month plus. The fact is he has been playing in NHL games for over a month. He got on a super long flight was there for two days and is completely bed ridden. Now when did it happen? If Crosby gets his melon squashed in an hour from now he has a previous condition there but where will the escalation have happened.

Zetterberg's current condition happened during the Olympics. He did have a rough fall in their last game against Tampa. However, he was healthy enough to play hockey five days ago, today he cannot even re-board a plane or get out of bed. That is much different than you pretending this was a ticking time bomb. In that sense it has been happening clear back to the Vancouver Olympics, he has always had a tricky back.

The Wings and Zetterberg gave him time off then ramped him back up to play and he was still playing at an elite level. Maybe not full on 100% but not surgery. You can say it would have happened anyway, hey maybe you're right, but it did happen here. You keep pretending they are the only team doing it or that they wanted to hurt him. Really the problem is the Wings aren't big enough jerks to just say no to the Olympics, they could have done that and everyone would be going nuts.

As it is all I keep saying is the IOC better pay his salary for however long he is out and quite frankly that is how I understand the agreement is supposed to function. If they duck that responsibility, well you have likely seen the incident the Owners will rally around and the end of Olympic involvement.

Either way it still sucks for Zetterberg, Team Sweden and the Detroit Red Wings.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Holland is part of team Canada. As a Canadian he's probably thrilled the favourite in the tournament has some injury bad luck. Right now, he's probably not even thinking about the NHL. What bugs me is people forget that for the GM's that are apart of the teams at the Olympics, it's just as important to them as the players.

LOL, no. The last thing on Holland's mind right now is the ****ing Olympics.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
These remaining centers will get grinded down in a full game against Canada, Russia or USA. Basically the only chance we have for gold now is if Lundqvist stands on his head while Karlsson turns into Bobby Orr.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Fans don't like to their seasons go down the drain. Move the Olympics outside of the NHL season if it's so important to have the NHL players there. My guess is the IOC really doesn't give a ****.

Why the hell should IOC bend the rules for NHL, AGAIN? how about NHL starts doing something for the international hockey?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why the hell should IOC bend the rules for NHL, AGAIN? how about NHL starts doing something for the international hockey?

They do. They give a competitive stage for the best in the world to play, instead of dominating their far less competitive national leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad