Player Discussion Zemgus Girgensons

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
He might be more excited to play for Granato than anybody.

I always remember that photo of Bylsma talking to Gus after practice where he just looks defeated. 'You're nothing but a 4th line grinder now kid'

Just like Casey Middlestadt was told by Krueger that he won’t play center again, our idiot coaches cannot keep a good man down.

Reactions: Hasek and Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's funny how the Eichels, Reinharts, and Ristos get the luxury of fan empathy for not wanted to go through 'another' rebuild. Zemgus has seen it all.

He's almost "one of us" at this point, even if he spends his off-seasons in Pittsburgh. He's been through it all, has born the brunt of some of the worst of it, but he still seems irrepressible amidst the negativity - be it from his coaches, his teammates, the fans, the press...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He's almost "one of us" at this point, even if he spends his off-seasons in Pittsburgh. He's been through it all, has born the brunt of some of the worst of it, but he still seems irrepressible amidst the negativity - be it from his coaches, his teammates, the fans, the press...

Being “irrepressible amidst the negativity” is why he’s almost one of us but not quite. :laugh:

Reactions: tsujimoto74

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
If I recall he went from being 1C to a 2nd line winger under Bylsma?

I know three of the centers were ROR Eichel and Legwand. I think I recall the 3rd line being mostly Foligno-Larsson-Gionta, am I misrembering?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I know three of the centers were ROR Eichel and Legwand. I think I recall the 3rd line being mostly Foligno-Larsson-Gionta, am I misrembering?
He definitely got some time as a top 6 winger.

He played roughly 891mins at 5v5 in 15-16

263 of 891 (30%) with Jack
101 of 891 (11%) with ROR

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

He was only #1 center during a serious tankjob due to everyone being traded away or injured

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He was only #1 center during a serious tankjob due to everyone being traded away or injured
That and Nolan being in love with him. Larsson was two years farther along in development and would have made more sense. It might have also allowed less pressure and some development opportunity for Girgs away from that usage.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015

Fair enough. But his top-6 forward upside would not have been questioned by any of us. In fact Forsberg would have been the only forward any of us would have preferred to him after the 14/15 season.

Granted it was a shitty 2012 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad