Player Discussion Zemgus Girgensons

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
How far Girgensons has fallen. 4-5 years ago he was going to be our next Peca. A hard working two way center with 25-25-50 potential who would be a bull in a china shop two way physical center. Instead he peaked his first 2 NHL seasons and is nothing more then an inconsistent 4th line player. I doubt he is a Sabre next season. It is kind of comical how overrated he was by this fan base. Being branded untouchable and demanding ludicrous packages in the trade forum back then. Now I doubt he would return a pick better then a 3rd rounder and that's being generous.

He has little to no value at the moment. Hes about to be 24 so it's not like he's exactly some young player still learning he's 24 in a few weeks and has been a NHL regular the last 5 seasons. When you are in the NHL for half a decade now it's highly unlikely you are going to develop into something you haven't looked anything close to in over three full seasons. The only time he's made an impact was last season the day before opening night when he injured our young star player. That's the only notable thing he's accomplished since 14-15.

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
How far Girgensons has fallen. 4-5 years ago he was going to be our next Peca. A hard working two way center with 25-25-50 potential who would be a bull in a china shop two way physical center. Instead he peaked his first 2 NHL seasons and is nothing more then an inconsistent 4th line player. I doubt he is a Sabre next season. It is kind of comical how overrated he was by this fan base. Being branded untouchable and demanding ludicrous packages in the trade forum back then. Now I doubt he would return a pick better then a 3rd rounder and that's being generous.

I strongly disagree. The year after his ankle injury, he went from #1 center to #4 center. Reinhart,Eichel and ROR - all 3 came in that year,and he got demoted. Bylsma ruined him. He didn't even get chance to play with Ennis and Moulson which he had great chemistry with. That's what happened. What if only Reinhart came in? And there was no ROR or Eichel picked up?
He's not overrated,never was. He wasn't drafted to have 100 points each season. In my opinion when ROR,Eichs and Sam came in he had no chance.Not at least under Bylsma or Housley.... I hope he goes to another team where he can find himself again.
As i mentioned in another thread - i hoped he'd get picked up by Vegas....

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres' Girgensons Blames Himself for His Benching
Hazelwood, Mo (WGR 550) - Zemgus Girgensons has been a healthy scratch for two games as Evan Rodrigues and Scott Wilson were brought in to replace him and Matt Moulson.

Girgensons doesn’t have a point since he scored a goal on October 14 in Los Angeles. That covers 19 games.

Phil Housley tried him on the wing and tried him at center, but nothing seemed to work. Girgensons said it’s on him, “It’s never fun to be out, but I wasn’t performing at my best, it wasn’t good enough, so sometimes you need a little kick in your back to get back that fire, that anger to want to be out there and do more for the team.”

The coaching staff has told Girgensons that he needs to be better. Phil Housley has liked what he’s seen in practice, “I thought this was one of his best practices in a long time, so we’ll make that decision tomorrow, but it’s good to see him with a little jump in his step and controlling the play in the small game area and he brought some good energy today.”

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Bylsma ruined him. He coached the Zemgus out of Girgensons. He just needs time to get it back. Don't give this guy away.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thought he looked good tonight and should stay in the lineup. The shuffle with him up to ROR's wing was part of what got things going in the third.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
its comical how bad this 2 picks were in retro-perspective, the 2012 draft was abysmal for the sabres, so many better players who got picked after these 2.
From this draft so far: a 4th liner (Girgensons), a 6-7th defensman (McCabe) and a Backup Goalie (Ullmark)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He has always looked good playing with Eichel or O'Reilly, and those two also have looked better with him, but Housley usually keeps that maximum for 2 periods.
One of the problems with this roster is too many players need to be with Jack or ROR to be effective offensively. Or at least to date thats been the case.

Reactions: kummelweck

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
One of the problems with this roster is too many players need to be with Jack or ROR to be effective offensively. Or at least to date thats been the case.
Seems like Rodrigues is making a strong case as a player that could anchor a line.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't think he's anywhere close to proving that. He was on the receiving end of two wide open nets.
Do you really think I'm talking about one game? He moved effortlessly to the center position at the tail-end of last season, and showed he could play a responsible two-way game.

The only reason I mention it in this thread as he's one of the reasons Zemgus and Reinhart aren't playing there anymore.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Do you really think I'm talking about one game? He moved effortlessly to the center position at the tail-end of last season, and showed he could play a responsible two-way game.

The only reason I mention it in this thread as he's one of the reasons Zemgus and Reinhart aren't playing there anymore.

Well, even if you add in last season, he's not ready to carry a line. Or even anchor a line. And I don't think he's best at center. With his game, you'd like him at wing so he can use his speed and tenacity to forecheck.

Only players who can carry lines are Eichel and ROR. Eventually Mittelstadt. Even Reinhart at his best won't carry a line.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Well, even if you add in last season, he's not ready to carry a line. Or even anchor a line. And I don't think he's best at center. With his game, you'd like him at wing so he can use his speed and tenacity to forecheck.

Only players who can carry lines are Eichel and ROR. Eventually Mittelstadt. Even Reinhart at his best won't carry a line.
Every good hockey team has 4 capable lines. You're not going to get a player of Eichel or RORs caliber in your bottom 6, so you need players like Erod. He looks to be an effective center in the NHL - ultimately that could be on the 4th line.

ERod's numbers at center were baaaaad last season. He belongs at wing.

What numbers? How many pro games do you think he has under his belt at center? Certainly no more than 10 or 15 at the NHL level.

He apparently hadn't played center since junior. So the org moved him back after 4 years college and almost 2 season of pro.

Krispy

Sep 12, 2017
Riga, Latvia

Yeah, but have Girgensons with Eichel playing OT, Tarasenko wouldn't have breakaway out of nothing. Currently Eichel-Kane produce goals, but whats the point if while these two are on ice they let in twice as many?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To ERod's credit, he was able to get into position near that strange 4x6 opening to have them yawning at him AND he actually did something with the vulcanized rubber object when it arrived to him.

Regarding how that shuffles Gus around, maybe working him in with Wilson and Rodrigues could keep his new-found energy up. As energy lines, they could do far worse. In fact, we've seen it and it features Nolan...

Reactions: CraniumCram

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
ERod does not play a great defensive game. His physical limits get exposed in that department and he plays a little too risky to cover for it always.

Doesn’t mean he is a bad player. He is in the right place for those rebounds because he has offensive intuition you can’t really teach by his age that our larger faster high draft pick alternatives never had and never will. He also hasn’t had defensive responsibility coached into him to the point of breaking his own style.

He’s no line anchor and I’m afraid people are going to sour on him with those expectations.

He should be a wing. Preferably Eichels wing... it did just swell in college.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah, but have Girgensons with Eichel playing OT, Tarasenko wouldn't have breakaway out of nothing. Currently Eichel-Kane produce goals, but whats the point if while these two are on ice they let in twice as many?

Where are you getting the idea I'm advocating for Kane/Eichel to be together?

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Haha, and yet again Girgensons doesn't get a + when he's in the front of the net, NHL +/- statistics are so legit.

1) Oct. 15, 2015 vs FLA
2) Dec. 15, 2017 vs CAR

No further comments...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad