Player Discussion Zemgus Girgensons

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I think that Zemgus just may be the unsung hero or perhaps the most valuable Sabres forward this season. Why? He has shown over his career that he can play up and down the lineup in a highly effective manner for short spells. As our young players go through the inevitable ups and downs this year, I think that Z will be there to take over as they rest or are moved to a less focal point while Z fills the role they played.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think that Zemgus just may be the unsung hero or perhaps the most valuable Sabres forward this season. Why? He has shown over his career that he can play up and down the lineup in a highly effective manner for short spells. As our young players go through the inevitable ups and downs this year, I think that Z will be there to take over as they rest or are moved to a less focal point while Z fills the role they played.
Sort of like an end of career Jochen Hecht

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
spot on.

Reactions: Dingo44

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Can not, will not lose his love of the game.

He's the longest tenured player in the organization, and I'm honestly okay with him being here as long as he wants. He has the ability to be here his entire career, if he wanted. That being said, I'd love to see Z, get a chance to win. His love for the game is unquestioned.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

English is the universal language in hockey, the skeleton key to communication between nations. Many Europeans come to North America fluent, but nearly all can speak the language a little.

“The first few years, you just hang out with the Europeans,” said Buffalo’s Zemgus Girgensons, the only Latvian on the Sabres roster. “If you all don’t talk that great of English, you can talk to each other and help each other learn. You just manage, and try to learn English as fast as you can.”

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It's time.

They should ask him where he'd like to go for a playoff run and make it happen.

Do you think, even pro-rated, someone wants him at $2.5 M? Not sure. The question this trade deadline is whether Pegula is allowing some salary retention. He should. Girgensons at 50% would be worth a ton to lots of people. Okposo at 50% probably has value. Oloffson is paid so much, and his play is such a shadow of his former self (on goal-scoring) that you wonder if there is any value at all. Jost at $1 M? I think everybody passes. Erik Johnson at $1.75 M. Not sure much happens, eve pro-rated. Bryson at $925,000, likely another pass. Comrie at $900 seems like someone I would want even as a third stringer.

I hope Terry digs another well and allows some retentions. It's nice for players involved, will get us some picks even if later rounders and is not a cap issue.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Do you think, even pro-rated, someone wants him at $2.5 M? Not sure. The question this trade deadline is whether Pegula is allowing some salary retention. He should. Girgensons at 50% would be worth a ton to lots of people. Okposo at 50% probably has value. Oloffson is paid so much, and his play is such a shadow of his former self (on goal-scoring) that you wonder if there is any value at all. Jost at $1 M? I think everybody passes. Erik Johnson at $1.75 M. Not sure much happens, eve pro-rated. Bryson at $925,000, likely another pass. Comrie at $900 seems like someone I would want even as a third stringer.

I hope Terry digs another well and allows some retentions. It's nice for players involved, will get us some picks even if later rounders and is not a cap issue.

Teams are constantly looking for mildly physical defensive depth players at the deadline. He has a bit of versatility, a track record for shot suppression that is very good, and even if he's on a poor team in Buffalo, he's a letter wearer who demonstrates good habits on and off the ice. Those sort of guys get moved all the time.

As for if they retain or not, don't know. I do think they could afford Gus the question of if he wants to go somewhere, where, and then see if the other team is interested and work out particulars.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Teams are constantly looking for mildly physical defensive depth players at the deadline. He has a bit of versatility, a track record for shot suppression that is very good, and even if he's on a poor team in Buffalo, he's a letter wearer who demonstrates good habits on and off the ice. Those sort of guys get moved all the time.

As for if they retain or not, don't know. I do think they could afford Gus the question of if he wants to go somewhere, where, and then see if the other team is interested and work out particulars.
Erik Johnson's $3.5 M cap hit could make him a very tough trade at the deadline, even pro-rated. My bet is Pegula's wallet won't open up at the deadline. Again.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

yeah doin right by Gus, I think a few teams would love to have him in a depth role, CAR, FLA, NJ all come to mind and will all have the space prorated or retention, would be a really solid fit for those clubs and Gus could stay in the EC before finding best offer over the summer.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I wonder if Zemgus would want to be traded given he has never seen the playoffs. It would be nice of Adams to trade him to a team like Colorado.

Just not Boston or Toronto :laugh:

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I am not sure that girgs is as well sought out as people on here think. I am not sure that we would get claimed if waived.

Remember the best 4th line in hockey. Larson, okposo and girgs. I am not sure that that line was really all that good. They did hustle and other teams had easy time with Sabres then. So when other team was in cruise control, that 4th line looked good

Sadly Larson is out of nhl hockey now. Okposo and girgs will be too. I know he is idolized but it’s true

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am not sure that girgs is as well sought out as people on here think. I am not sure that we would get claimed if waived.

Remember the best 4th line in hockey. Larson, okposo and girgs. I am not sure that that line was really all that good. They did hustle and other teams had easy time with Sabres then. So when other team was in cruise control, that 4th line looked good

Sadly Larson is out of nhl hockey now. Okposo and girgs will be too. I know he is idolized but it’s true

Eh, again just seems to reinforce a lack of understanding of what shot suppression players do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad