Player Discussion Zemgus Girgensons

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Girgs puts the hustle in and makes a big check.. and then manages to never even find the puck, let alone recover it. He sometimes has a game where he remembers the reason he is skating into people is to get the puck and will keep possession going, but then he goes back to forgetting why he is playing hockey.

Ever since he's had to play an actual system he hasn't had a breakaway, and any production he ever had dies with that loss.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
So when Kane comes back what does this lineup look like? Is Girgs all the way down to 4th line center?

As much as I wish he'll find his production again, I'm fine with demoting him to fourth line center. Get Grant back to Rochester and have Girgs run a checking line.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
A reminder that this should be a thing

b1314ea3da.png

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Could you translate it?

That they were statistically pretty dominant together possession wise.

Offensively Girgs seems to be having similar problems this year as he had last year. He is not aggressive enough with the puck, and he should make more bold power moves etc. That being said, I think it was the Florida game where he was really good offensively as well.

But I do agree that when Eichel comes back you should pair Girgs with him. He is not being that well utilized on an offensive role playing as a center (where his offense is minimal). Possession wise that line (Ennis - Girgs - Reinhart) has been pretty good, but I just don't see that line working as well as it should with those individual players.

Shield

Dec 18, 2014
Leicester
For me it is very hard to watch how Girg development has been handled. I think the biggest problem is that he does not have a clear role. He has been tossed around the lines filling gaps. It is also hard to understand if he is doing a good job, because the tasks vary from game to game, year to year, coach to coach. He seems confused of what his purpose in the team is.
I do not believe that it has been his own choice to get rid of all the creativity and blunting his play to the most basic and only the safest plays imaginable. He rarely takes any risks.
I dont know what to expect from the new management, but I hope his role will be more clear and he can play more relaxed and even take some risks and get his production up.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
For me it is very hard to watch how Girg development has been handled. I think the biggest problem is that he does not have a clear role. He has been tossed around the lines filling gaps. It is also hard to understand if he is doing a good job, because the tasks vary from game to game, year to year, coach to coach. He seems confused of what his purpose in the team is.
I do not believe that it has been his own choice to get rid of all the creativity and blunting his play to the most basic and only the safest plays imaginable. He rarely takes any risks.
I dont know what to expect from the new management, but I hope his role will be more clear and he can play more relaxed and even take some risks and get his production up.

Have you ever seen the movie "The Replacements"?

https://youtu.be/RyFJk_861AY?t=16s

Eichel needs to be the head coach in this situation, Girgs needs to be the Player. Instead of the ball, it's the puck...That is what his role should be.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

If Babcock was the Sabres coach, we would not have Girgs at a 1.6M cap hit right now.

Are you insinuating that we should thank Bylsma for making Girgensons accept such a terrible contract during the years where we might have enough depth to do something? :laugh: I agree :laugh:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Are you insinuating that we should thank Bylsma for making Girgensons accept such a terrible contract during the years where we might have enough depth to do something? :laugh: I agree :laugh:

Silver linings :)

Make the playoffs, get Reinhart on a bridge, load up for a Cup run next year? :nod: :popcorn:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm very excited about Zemgus this year. We probably couldn't have effed his development up worse if we tried. He should have had at least a year of NCAA (if not two), a year of AHL. I hope Housely sees the talent and work ethic and finds a good slot of him, either on LW or at C. I think he can be a 20-25 G, physical, PKer to fill in our middle 6 for the next 10 years.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Dear Buffalo, please end this years-long misery.

Sincerely,
Latvians

Last edited:
Reactions: TheStorm

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I hope they don't trade Girgs for a bag of pucks. Any time hes been on Eichel's wing he has looked great. The guy gets nearly no powerplay time in his entire career. I frankly don't understand Bylsma and Housley using him the same way. I might get shit for saying this but I think Nolan was the last decent coach we've had. He might not have been an X's n O's coach but his players would skate through a wall for him, and effort often trumps talent in this league...just look at Vegas.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

#5 - Zemgus Girgensons -
To today’s NHL fan, Girgeonsons is the player who comes to mind when thinking of Latvians in the NHL. Taken 14th overall in the 2012 draft by Buffalo, no Latvian was ever selected higher. Girgensons has made some longevity out of his career. Earlier this current 2017-2018 season he played in his 300th NHL game.

Girgensons’ first game was played during the 2013-2014 season. He, Rasmus Ristolainen, and Johan Larsson are currently the longest tenured Sabres on the team. While there are some more accomplished players on this list, Girgensons is still young. He is also still a first-rounder. There is definitely more that he needs to prove.

Girgensons’ top season thus far was an injury-maligned 2014-2015 season. In 61 games played he scored career highs of 15 goals, 15 assists, and 30 points. If he can keep moving forward and have a career as long as the remaining players on this list, a Stanley Cup could still be in his future. That is likely not going to happen in Buffalo. Should a trade take shape, Girgensons adds a nice tone to any team.

Whatever success he generates in his years ahead, his homeland will continue to be ecstatic.

https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-latvians-in-nhl-history/

Last edited:
Reactions: AlsPug

AlsPug

Nov 1, 2011
I hope they don't trade Girgs for a bag of pucks. Any time hes been on Eichel's wing he has looked great. The guy gets nearly no powerplay time in his entire career. I frankly don't understand Bylsma and Housley using him the same way. I might get **** for saying this but I think Nolan was the last decent coach we've had. He might not have been an X's n O's coach but his players would skate through a wall for him, and effort often trumps talent in this league...just look at Vegas.

Same exact thing I've noticed. Everyone gave Nolan sh*t for not being a X's and O's coach and did not like his interviews. How about the last two coaches? How about Murray sabotaging the team every time something good was happening? Traded everyone that might impede in the tanking season. No problem, but let the man try his hand with a good team before you fire him.

Really hoped Las Vegas would pick Girgs up in the off-season, but nooo.... this sh*t show had to protect him.

Reactions: OscarsCards

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis

#5 Zemgus Girgensons -
To today’s NHL fan, Girgeonsons is the player who comes to mind when thinking of Latvians in the NHL. Taken 14th overall in the 2012 draft by Buffalo, no Latvian was ever selected higher. Girgensons has made some longevity out of his career. Earlier this current 2017-2018 season he played in his 300th NHL game.

Girgensons’ first game was played during the 2013-2014 season. He, Rasmus Ristolainen, and Johan Larsson are currently the longest tenured Sabres on the team. While there are some more accomplished players on this list, Girgensons is still young. He is also still a first-rounder. There is definitely more that he needs to prove.

Girgensons’ top season thus far was an injury-maligned 2014-2015 season. In 61 games played he scored career highs of 15 goals, 15 assists, and 30 points. If he can keep moving forward and have a career as long as the remaining players on this list, a Stanley Cup could still be in his future. That is likely not going to happen in Buffalo. Should a trade take shape, Girgensons adds a nice tone to any team.

Whatever success he generates in his years ahead, his homeland will continue to be ecstatic.

https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-latvians-in-nhl-history/

My God, that article is such a...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad