Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Part II - Oops, I Got Sidetracked Again.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I finally started playing this last week. Games pretty amazing but has some things I don't like.

- Its way too f***in' big. I've been playing for probably like 30+ hours and feel like I've made little progress.

- Not being able to fast travel towns/stables is dumb.

- Stamina wheel runs out too quick. Weapons break too often.

- Game needs a skill tree desperately. Climbing takes too long.

- So many one hit deaths.

Other than that, you can see why it won game of the year.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I finally started playing this last week. Games pretty amazing but has some things I don't like.

- Its way too f***in' big. I've been playing for probably like 30+ hours and feel like I've made little progress.

Don't really agree with you on points 1 and 4, definitely agree about the weapons breaking too quickly. For your 2nd point, every single stable and town has a shrine right next to it for fast travel, maybe you just haven't found it? I only found 1-hit deaths to be a problem really, really early game before I got 5 or 6 hearts (or you're playing Master mode which is not fun at all, IMO).

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Only one I agree with you on is that the weapons break too often.

1. In terms of being too big - I mean yeah, that's why there are memes floating around of people who have played for 150 hours and haven't went to Ganon's Castle yet. I'm around 90 hours and I've only beat 2/4 Divine Beasts and haven't went near the castle. I don't see how this is a negative. It's not like you're on a time limit.

2. No fast travel. Not true. Like the poster above me pointed out, there are shrines or towers near every town and stable. Just find them and now you've got a fast travel point.

3. Stamina wheel runs out too quick. Again, just take your time and level up your character and this stops being an issue. My stamina wheel is gigantic. I can climb every single mountain I see now. It's part of progressing.

4. Weapons break too often. Agreed. I hate it. I just jumped back in to the game after a few months away and it sometimes makes me not even want to play anymore. It could have been a useful early game mechanic which would have made sense given you're mostly using skeleton arms or wooden clubs in the beginning but there's no progression. When I spend twenty minutes beating a lynel and the sword I get as a reward still breaks after ten minutes that's kind of frustrating.

5. Game needs a skill desperately / climbing takes too long. Again, this goes away if you actually just play the game for a while.

6. One hit deaths. Git good bro.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
they should have had a progression system for the weapons breaking in the game. i'm sure botw will be tweaked because its a huge complaint pretty much everyone has.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The weapons do decline easy but I never really felt it as a strain on game play. I have never really run of weapons that are good enough for the task at hand.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I didn't really have an issue with the weapons breaking after playing for a little while, because finding the best weapons and exploring areas to get better gear was part of the enjoyment of the game.

Besides, once you get the master sword and upgrade it all the way you don't really have to look for weapons ever again.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If weapons didn't break the game would be really boring At least 90% of what you find is useful this way. Well for about the first half of the game I suppose.

The only problem with weapons breaking is how you switch them. It is pretty good but not having to go into a menu would be great.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
I didn't really have an issue with the weapons breaking after playing for a little while, because finding the best weapons and exploring areas to get better gear was part of the enjoyment of the game.

Besides, once you get the master sword and upgrade it all the way you don't really have to look for weapons ever again.

You can upgrade the master sword???

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ocarina of Time blew my tiny preteen mind at launch.

I have played plenty of open world games including Witcher 3, Skyrim, and Red Dead

Nothing has given me pause at the scale and audacity as this game has.

This is a genius game and a true 10/10.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You can upgrade the master sword???

The first DLC included three trials where you have no weapons, armor or items and have to go through a bunch of rooms filled with enemies. If you complete all three the Master Sword becomes unbreakable and more powerful.

They pretty hard, I did one of the three and I had had enough.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The weapon breaking seems plenty balanced and removing it would cause problems.

Now a feature that would be a nice addition in the sequel is a cook book in the compendium. The cooking system is neat, but once you figure out how to game it, 90% of the unique recipes become pointless.

Even if it’s just filling out a guide for completions sake, it’s still a reason to try to make unique recipes.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Now a feature that would be a nice addition in the sequel is a cook book in the compendium. The cooking system is neat, but once you figure out how to game it, 90% of the unique recipes become pointless.

This would be a world of change. I found myself writing down good combos in the early game when I was learning the ropes for cooking.

Having a cook book would make so much sense!

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
If one of these games would just have a super difficult sidequest that includes the Great Palace from Adventures of Link, I would be happy.

Despite how hated that game was, it is still a classic and has some of the best most difficult enemies of all time.

At some point, you get sick of different variations of Ganondorf. Fighting Shadow Link as a mini boss in Ocarina was super homage to the past, even if they made him way too easy. We have seen many variations of shadow link since. Barba got renamed Volvagia, but was one of the best bosses in Ocarina.

But at some point, introduce Horsehead, Helmethead, Rebonack, Carock the boss of all wizzrobes, Gooma, and Thunderbird.

Us old timers want some subtle nods to the past in the new games. Similar to Stone Cold Steve Austin occasionally appearing on Wrestling TV, it just adds a "Whoop" to the game when you see enemies of the past come

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This would be a world of change. I found myself writing down good combos in the early game when I was learning the ropes for cooking.

Having a cook book would make so much sense!

I spend so much time filling out the compendium. Having a cook book to fill out would be great.

It still amazes me how much time I have sunk into this game with so little forward progress.

I have only just met the Zora Prince and have been told to follow the road to Zora’s Domain and I am not going to do it yet since I have other areas to explore towards the big snow mountain.

Wizrobes suck ass.

Cutting a Guardian to pieces with ancient weapons is amazingly satisfying.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Still haven’t gone to Zora’s Domain. I went and found two shrines down by the ocean. Absolutely wrecked a Hinox on the way.

Both were combat challenges. The major one was ROUGH. Had to put my cooking skills to work to brute through it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oh boy. All the enemies are blue variants now with black versions as their leader.

Also had to take on my first blue-maned Lynol. Thank god for hearty dishes and attack power ups.

The Blue Hinox’s are pushovers though. Easy to clown the fact f***s.

The Divine Beast by the Zora’s was such a neat dungeon. I wish it was bigger and more in depth. Tough boss fight to end it too

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Apparently the difficulty of enemies is entirely dependent on how many enemies you kill, which is kind of dumb tbh.

(As in, all the enemies transform after a certain number of kills, not talking about harder areas)

Edit: Wanted to confirm this since its not talked about as much

Difficulty scaling - ZeldaMods (Breath of the Wild)

The scaling system is based on a point system. Killing enemies is the only way to receive points.
Whenever an enemy dies, the game increments a flag 'Defeated_{SameGroupActorName}_Num' if all of the following conditions are satisfied:

kind of a weird difficulty system

Currently playing this game on emulator, I know, I know, lame, but the visuals are so much more sharp and 60 fps locked

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I wanted to show some different images with botw and some fog and color grading tweaks, all screenshots with the resolution set to 1080p

Images in order are

1. No fog or color tweaks
2. Fog at 0%
3. Fog at 30% (imo a good middleground
4. Fog at 30% and some color tweaks

like the last one best, Fog is too strong and the colors are too desaturated in botw.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
The weapon breaking seems plenty balanced and removing it would cause problems.

Even if it’s just filling out a guide for completions sake, it’s still a reason to try to make unique recipes.

They should also let us bulk cook. Instead of going through the menu screen and the animation a bunch of times.

It was annoying as hell when i was cooking like 50 prime steaks

Reactions: x Tame Impala

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
They should also let us bulk cook. Instead of going through the menu screen and the animation a bunch of times.

It was annoying as hell when i was cooking like 50 prime steaks

It's very Nintendo to not let you the player do things on mass. Noticed it in BoTW and now even more extremely in Animal Crossing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's very Nintendo to not let you the player do things on mass. Noticed it in BoTW and now even more extremely in Animal Crossing.

They are weird about little quality of life things like that.

They should at least have a spot to save recipes you like. I shouldn’t have to jot down or memorize certain mixes that work well.

it’s really minor, but it’s silly not to have some QoL there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad