Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Part II - Oops, I Got Sidetracked Again.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Had to take a break due to busyness and got back in it last night. I feel like my stealth gear is all of a sudden worthless? I get spotted all the time now.

Speaking of, is there a best gear? I go with knight and stealth gear, and climbing gear for climbing (duh). I have no idea how far I am in the game, but so far Ive done 1 beast quest, and have just wandered around doing random side quests and shrines. I am thinking I need to head to the beast cities to unlock some cooler stuff? I have also only done the first fairy fountain thus far.

Champion's Tunic is the best armour I believe, you get it by finding the first memory. Upgrading it can be a pain without an online guide though.

Certain sets have bonuses when each piece is at least level 2 (so you have to find 2 fairy fountains): the climbing set and swimming sets are well worth the upgrades to level 2.

Find a combination that you think looks cool and just upgrade those without worrying about the others. I like wearing the Hood with the Champion's Tunic along the Rito Boots. Almost all the armour pieces have identical defense value.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Beat the game on Master Mode. Didn't do all the shrines this time around, but did just over 100 plus all the memories plus all four divine beasts plus the Maz Koshia DLC. Essentially the only things that I haven't done are collect all the Korok Seeds (lolno) or complete Trial of the Sword.

And despite the fact that I'm about 265 total hours of gameplay in, I'm still not tired of this game. Might take a step away and play catchup on other games on my backlog. Eventually.

Official. This is my favorite game of all time. Sorry, Chrono Trigger. Your reign on top for me is finally at an end.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Champion's Tunic is the best armour I believe, you get it by finding the first memory. Upgrading it can be a pain without an online guide though.

Certain sets have bonuses when each piece is at least level 2 (so you have to find 2 fairy fountains): the climbing set and swimming sets are well worth the upgrades to level 2.

Find a combination that you think looks cool and just upgrade those without worrying about the others. I like wearing the Hood with the Champion's Tunic along the Rito Boots. Almost all the armour pieces have identical defense value.

Best armor really depends on what you are doing and which bonuses you want.

Champions tunic has the best individual defense value, true.

But Soldiers Armor, Wild Set, and Ancient Armor also have very high defense, and the latter two also give bonuses.

Best overall I think is the upgraded Ancient Set coupled with Ancient weapons. That way you get very high defense value AND a huge boost to your attack power AND added defense against ancient enemies.

Of course, you’ll want to upgrade everything because some situations call for different armor. Sometimes you’ll want to be fireproof, unfreezable, or shockproof and you’ll want to pick the appropriate armor. Sometimes you’ll want to swim up a waterfall or climb faster and farther or run quiet or fast at night, so you’ll pick the Zora or Climbing or Stealth armor.

They’re all good in different situations. The Sand Boots and Snow Boots are often useful. I even find Ravio’s Hood useful sometimes. So upgrade all the ones you can.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Best armor really depends on what you are doing and which bonuses you want.

Champions tunic has the best individual defense value, true.

But Soldiers Armor, Wild Set, and Ancient Armor also have very high defense, and the latter two also give bonuses.

Best overall I think is the upgraded Ancient Set coupled with Ancient weapons. That way you get very high defense value AND a huge boost to your attack power AND added defense against ancient enemies.

Of course, you’ll want to upgrade everything because some situations call for different armor. Sometimes you’ll want to be fireproof, unfreezable, or shockproof and you’ll want to pick the appropriate armor. Sometimes you’ll want to swim up a waterfall or climb faster and farther or run quiet or fast at night, so you’ll pick the Zora or Climbing or Stealth armor.

They’re all good in different situations. The Sand Boots and Snow Boots are often useful. I even find Ravio’s Hood useful sometimes. So upgrade all the ones you can.

This is kinda what I figured, I love this game but might be getting a little bit of game fatigue. I have done 2 beasts and a ton of shrines and I feel like I am itching to sorta finish the main story at this point, even though I havent upgraded much of the armor, just my soldiers/flame/climbing/stealth gear I haven't even done any of the labryinths yet either.

It usually happens to me in games like this even though I love them, I get a bit burnt out with so much damn stuff you can do. Happened to me in Skyrim too, still never finished the main quest.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Giving this thread a massive bump since I’ve only had the game about a week, anyways, I’ve barely touched the main quest, I’m focusing on unlocking the towers and doing as much shrines as I can at the moment, sitting at 31 shrines completed. I’m just wondering how everyone else went about their Initial playthroughs? Shrines as you go, or focus on em? I literally am so early in the main quest that I just unlocked the camera

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I don't spend too much time at a shrine if it frustrates me, I'll just come back to it later, they become a travel point when you activate them, not when you beat them. The first Beast you'd want to do is the one in the upper left, the power it gives you after is pretty good.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The first Beast you'd want to do is the one in the upper left, the power it gives you after is pretty good.

YES.

I don't want to give away spoilers for people who are just getting into the game now.

But that is the one piece of advice I would give. Go to the Divine Beast in the Northwest part of the map first. I found it to be the easiest of the four, AND the ability it gives you is the most generally useful. It will help you a lot with exploration for the rest of the game, and is also useful in combat.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I am about 3 weeks into it and I can't put it down.

good tip if you have the time, don't sell your monster parts/ingredients by themselves. They are 3-4 times more valuable if they're cooked into a dish. Takes more time, but worth it if you need some quick Rupees.

Reactions: Tw1ster

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Giving this thread a massive bump since I’ve only had the game about a week, anyways, I’ve barely touched the main quest, I’m focusing on unlocking the towers and doing as much shrines as I can at the moment, sitting at 31 shrines completed. I’m just wondering how everyone else went about their Initial playthroughs? Shrines as you go, or focus on em? I literally am so early in the main quest that I just unlocked the camera

I really enjoyed the shrines so I prioritized them and even made a point to travel at night so I could spot them. It's also how you get more stamina which is very useful.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Climbing to a high point and then scanning (i.e. looking, no dumb scanning mechanics here) the entire horizon to try and catch a peak of shiny orange light is one of my favourite parts of that game.

God I think I might get back into it again. Still have plenty to finish off in my Master Mode playthrough. At around 100 shrines and have finished the first third of the Master Trials.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Started playing it again but just wandering around in Master Quest just getting Korok seeds and just traveling around rather than starting a new quest.

Send help.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think I'll be starting master mode for the first time in the next few weeks. Haven't played it yet after my initial playthrough (which I only finished about 70-80 shrines, I don't enjoy playing games after beating the main story for some reason).

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I think I'll be starting master mode for the first time in the next few weeks. Haven't played it yet after my initial playthrough (which I only finished about 70-80 shrines, I don't enjoy playing games after beating the main story for some reason).

I’m kind of the same way, which is why I’m cleaning up as much of the side stuff as I can. I’m on 40 shrines now, getting my ass kicked in the major test of strength. Haven’t delved into the seeds all that much yet and plan on getting the suggested divine beast out of the way as well

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Just defeated my first divine beast in the Zora domain. Getting through it was pretty tough and was stuck on getting the last 2 terminals and then I looked it up and realized how stupid i was :laugh:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just defeated my first divine beast in the Zora domain. Getting through it was pretty tough and was stuck on getting the last 2 terminals and then I looked it up and realized how stupid i was :laugh:

I was stuck for what seemed to be ages in the Zora Beast cause I forgot you can use the ice power to raise barriers. You almost never use that power to do that, I felt so dumb when I gave up and looked it up...

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I was stuck for what seemed to be ages in the Zora Beast cause I forgot you can use the ice power to raise barriers. You almost never use that power to do that, I felt so dumb when I gave up and looked it up...

I used those powers all the time out in the open but basically forgot all about them any time I entered a shrine.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased

Whenever you're low on arrows, go to the mouth of the river where you met the prince then travel up to the Zora town, you'll get like 50 arrows every time

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
How difficult is mastermode? Should have time to start a new playthrough in a week or two, but I'm kinda worried about the difficulty and if it is worth the time investment (for me). I found a few of the enemies (see: Lynels) pretty damn difficult on the regular setting.

I don't know how keen I am to do a runthrough and get 1-shot by anything that moves.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How difficult is mastermode? Should have time to start a new playthrough in a week or two, but I'm kinda worried about the difficulty and if it is worth the time investment (for me). I found a few of the enemies (see: Lynels) pretty damn difficult on the regular setting.

I don't know how keen I am to do a runthrough and get 1-shot by anything that moves.

The fun part about master mode is that enemies appear in unexpected ways.

At the end of the day, if you are good at triggering slow-mo dodge or the shield deflect the game isn't any harder: enemies just take longer to kill and you go through weapons more quickly.

If you want challenge, do the sword trials. Those are legit fun (and frustrating) and the reward is very cool (I never managed to get it hehe)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Hard to start, but you'll probably get used to it.

I always forget I am playing in master mode.

Its harder to start. You really just ought to run past all battles for a long time, but once you get some supplies and gear it doesn't feel any different.

I dont think I have fought a Lynel yet in Master Mode, but thats mostly because I still suck at the parry/counter move.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I’m at 92 shrines and have done the Revali and Zora divine beasts. This game has consumed me so much and has made the switch purchase worth it even if I don’t buy another game. I still need to go wrap up RDR2 as I’m in chapter 6 but everytime I think about gaming, I wind up playing BOTW. Anyone saying this isn’t a Zelda game couldn’t be more wrong.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
So.... If you are fighting a lynel, your weapons don't get damaged from the hits you inflict when you're riding them.

That changed using up a couple weapons per gold lynel to just one at most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->