Confirmed with Link: Zdeno Chara Signs One Year Deal

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Speed has nothing to do with being effective, look at Aho. He's fast and not very effective. That's about it. He is not capable of mentoring Dobson, sticking up for Mayfield when a player takes a head shot at a teammate, which seemed to be a catalyst in the Isles comeback in over the Flyers. Speed is just one attribute of a player of many attributes a player possesses. If you can bring intangibles, and other assets to the table at 750K per, in a cap league. You are an asset. Give me a slow player who can play, than a fast player who plays like a chicken with his head cut off 100/100
Well if the unfortunate choice is between Aho and Chara then sure. But intangibles don't prevent goals and Chara has been positionally horrific. Guys go right around him. And I don't agree that a slow D in today's NHL can get the job done. Chara has improved from a D to a C- over the past 15 games. Not good enough.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I mean we don't even have to dress Martin or Johnston with Chara in the line up. I would prefer all 3 in, but if we play a smurfy team, we could go with Parise or Palmieri on the 4th line. I love the signing given how he has impacted Dobson's maturation which Noah himself pointed out. Also when you have a guy that can do this at 44. You don't need to fill a roster spot with a Policeman.

I think Martins playing injured but I like Chara. Good acquisition.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
LOL at the guys defending his play because "mentor" or "fighting". He's an absolute liability every time he's on the ice. He'd maybe be ok in a 10 minutes per night role some nights. Otherwise, he's directly and objectively costing this team points every time he's on the ice.

Reactions: ML19

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
LOL at the guys defending his play because "mentor" or "fighting". He's an absolute liability every time he's on the ice. He'd maybe be ok in a 10 minutes per night role some nights. Otherwise, he's directly and objectively costing this team points every time he's on the ice.

But technically that’s not happening over the past 10 games at least. Otherwise Isles wouldn’t be 7-2-1.

The game has clearly passed him by. But he’s paid like 6-8 Dman and he is still far better than many the Isles have had in that position. Just think… Brian Strait.

While Chara is not the reason they are winning or loosing… the Isles would be better served if they acquired another player or someone else stepped up to make Chara NOT an everyday player.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
While I 100% do not buy into this "Chara is dogshit" mentality, I would like to see Salo take over the bulk of his minutes when Pulock comes back. Green is still a very effective NHL defenseman, and between him and big Z, I feel he is better equipped to play every day. And Salo is 1000% earning his playing time, for a guy with his (lack of) NHL experience he is already showing he is going to be an above average dman. Let him keep gaining the experience as it will be huge down the road, and maybe rotate G & C. But Salo has earned the right to stay in.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
While I 100% do not buy into this "Chara is dogshit" mentality, I would like to see Salo take over the bulk of his minutes when Pulock comes back. Green is still a very effective NHL defenseman, and between him and big Z, I feel he is better equipped to play every day. And Salo is 1000% earning his playing time, for a guy with his (lack of) NHL experience he is already showing he is going to be an above average dman. Let him keep gaining the experience as it will be huge down the road, and maybe rotate G & C. But Salo has earned the right to stay in.
Last night Salo had his best game to date. The more he plays like this the more he’s going to force Trotz to make a tough decision on benching a vet when Pulock comes back.

Reactions: TMI and CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Last night Salo had his best game to date. The more he plays like this the more he’s going to force Trotz to make a tough decision on benching a vet when Pulock comes back.

Not as fast of a skater as Leddy or Toews… but made some solid decisions when under pressure.

Both aforementioned players sometimes would panic (Leddy more so). But to be completely fair, they also saw tougher minutes and competition then Salo.

But the hope is with more experience, Salo keeps playing well against harder match ups. But as of now, very pleased with Salo.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not as fast of a skater as Leddy or Toews… but made some solid decisions when under pressure.

Both aforementioned players sometimes would panic (Leddy more so). But to be completely fair, they also saw tougher minutes and competition then Salo.

But the hope is with more experience, Salo keeps playing well against harder match ups. But as of now, very pleased with Salo.
Tonight will be a good measuring stick for Salo and Dobson. Let’s see how they do against a high octane team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad