Confirmed with Link: Zdeno Chara Signs One Year Deal

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Correct me if I am wrong, but by using LTIR, the Isles would not be able to benefit with having a contract pro-rated against AAV at the TDL, but need to cover the cost of the entire "sticker price" of said player, right?

So they either need to acquire a player on a contract around the $2.2 million number, have a team retain a percentage (up to 50% retention, unless they use a third team as a pass-through entity) and/or ship out salary?

It should still be manageable, it will probably just cost a premium versus a team that is under the cap and can take on more salary.
I wasn't aware of the LTIR angle. Never mind then!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would have to think if there was a trade at the deadline. It would be a rental. I would have entertained Rielly until signed for 8 years at 7.5M(full no trade clause for 6 years and limit 10 team MNTC final 2 years) there is no way he should be making more than Pelech or Pulock on this team. As the 3rd best Islanders D man, that would harm the Isles internal cap structure. It's a tricky deal, that would only probably be a playoff upgrade. Not unless the D man makes less than Pelech or Pulock or is a clear #1 on this team where paying him more than our best D men is justified. Would Lindholm be sign-able after this year if a deal went down? Would he be the Isles best D man if the Isles did manage to net him?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I would have to think if there was a trade at the deadline. It would be a rental. I would have entertained Rielly until signed for 8 years at 7.5M(full no trade clause for 6 years and limit 10 team MNTC final 2 years) there is no way he should be making more than Pelech or Pulock on this team. As the 3rd best Islanders D man, that would harm the Isles internal cap structure. It's a tricky deal, that would only probably be a playoff upgrade. Not unless the D man makes less than Pelech or Pulock or is a clear #1 on this team where paying him more than our best D men is justified. Would Lindholm be sign-able after this year if a deal went down? Would he be the Isles best D man if the Isles did manage to net him?

Feel like Lindholm would give us a 1a, 1b, 1c defenseman, lol. Can't see a Lindholm trade happening without giving up a roster player at this point. Prospect cupboard is pretty bare (value wise), but I could see ditching draft picks again going all in. Playing until the trade deadline with Chara scares me though, especially if we are in a bubble playoff spot. We know this team is built for the playoffs, but we still have to get there.

Speaking of prospects, Aho collecting dust for another year is really not helping him in any trade value. I mean, let the guy play and at least build some kind of trade value, however small it is, before the trade deadline.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Feel like Lindholm would give us a 1a, 1b, 1c defenseman, lol. Can't see a Lindholm trade happening without giving up a roster player at this point. Prospect cupboard is pretty bare (value wise), but I could see ditching draft picks again going all in. Playing until the trade deadline with Chara scares me though, especially if we are in a bubble playoff spot. We know this team is built for the playoffs, but we still have to get there.

Speaking of prospects, Aho collecting dust for another year is really not helping him in any trade value. I mean, let the guy play and at least build some kind of trade value, however small it is, before the trade deadline.
I agree, a D man of Lindholm's caliber would require a prospect & retention, a first rounder, & perhaps a conditional 2nd also. Pricey, but it would definitely improve the Isles D if he can adapt to the Isles system quickly, as we have seen with Greene, Palmieri, Pageau. It does take a time of transition. Lou would likely pull the trigger earlier, but I am willing to see how the team plays at the 30-40 game mark before deciding, maybe Salo plays his way on the team by then. His points production has become noticeable of late.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Why trade away the depth if we are anticipating a long PO run when the costs are mostly sunk at that point?
Makes people feel good they finally got rid of them. Then, complain when MDC or someone worse has to enter the lineup as depth.

Reactions: JKP and MJF

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Why trade away the depth if we are anticipating a long PO run when the costs are mostly sunk at that point?
Cap space for a deadline move would be the only real reason.

Though it'd be better if they could both just happen to get injured with nothing too serious but enough to keep them on IR from before the deadline until the playoffs.

Reactions: JKP

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Moving Leo or Hicks would be for cap space. But I think it’d still cost us.

I don’t see us getting a true 1, but Lou certainly has his eyes on one or two so won’t rule it out.
My concern is the time it takes to get up to speed. This would’ve ideally been done in September. Z was clearly a last resort. I now think we’d be better off getting Salo up to speed sooner rather than later because it seems to be an inevitability that he’ll be required- either for a deal or on the ice.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
In all seriousness though Chara does look done and I have read rumors that Lou is looking for d help for whatever that’s worth as we all know Lou is Fort Knox.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
last year, and before, people were clamoring for more offense. the mgmt. shifted the payouts, so that we did have a better forward group, but of course, something had to give, somewhere else. seems imbalanced to me.

fortunately, next year (maybe sooner?), we lose enough salary that we can invest in another top-4 defenseman. but yeah... this is what most people wanted.

and i don't think all of the Chara defenders are of the mindset that he's great, or something. we are looking at what was available, and Chara was near the top of the heap.

i think he had a shaky start, but has improved steadily, IMO.
This is my view. And it's also only been a few games. We'll see how things go now that we get lots of games for a spell.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He needs like 20 games to acclimate to this system...some people take 1-2 years and others never figure it out. Chara is smart and I've already seen him block a lot of potentially risky passes because his reach is like 8000 miles.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Be careful with that talk. Some folks around here will add in what a low bar that is to clear.

He does what he does. He's looked painfully awkward many nights. Last night he mostly kept it simple, handled the puck decently for the first time I've seen this year, and did the one thing he's still really effective at- Get in the way down low in front of his net. He's a stopgap. Now that Lou has room I suspect we'll land another D by the Trade deadline and big Z will slot down a notch.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He does what he does. He's looked painfully awkward many nights. Last night he mostly kept it simple, handled the puck decently for the first time I've seen this year, and did the one thing he's still really effective at- Get in the way down low in front of his net. He's a stopgap. Now that Lou has room I suspect we'll land another D by the Trade deadline and big Z will slot down a notch.
Chara can't skate. He is immobile. Get him one on one and he'll get beat. What Z has been doing well lately is boxing out and anticipating where the puck is going, as well as using his reach to break up passes. Also last night was the first time he had a game without taking a penalty, IIRC. I don't expect this will carry throughout the season. I simply am pleased with Chara's overall play since he was paired with Ryan Pulock.

Reactions: Olliemets

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Chara can't skate. He is immobile. Get him one on one and he'll get beat. What Z has been doing well lately is boxing out and anticipating where the puck is going, as well as using his reach to break up passes. Also last night was the first time he had a game without taking a penalty, IIRC. I don't expect this will carry throughout the season. I simply am pleased with Chara's overall play since he was paired with Ryan Pulock.

My 2 cents is Chara has been good when standing in front of the net but anytime he starts to skate around he becomes a problem

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad