Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not to pick too many nits about last night given they won in pretty dominating fashion, but was that 30 second stretch early in the second period where Chara tripped over his own two feet twice, mishandled the puck both times, and gave up 2 freaking breakaways insane or what? I get that it all went for naught given one guy lost the puck off his stick and the other shot directly at Rask's chest, but this is what I mean when I don't feel all that comfortable any more about Chara in high leverage situations. His skating ability is eroding seemingly by the day, and it wasn't that great to start with...:laugh:

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not to pick too many nits about last night given they won in pretty dominating fashion, but was that 30 second stretch early in the second period where Chara tripped over his own two feet twice, mishandled the puck both times, and gave up 2 freaking breakaways insane or what? I get that it all went for naught given one guy lost the puck off his stick and the other shot directly at Rask's chest, but this is what I mean when I don't feel all that comfortable any more about Chara in high leverage situations. His skating ability is eroding seemingly by the day, and it wasn't that great to start with...:laugh:

So that was a high level situation?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So that was a high level situation?

Was that? In terms of that game, sure it was. They were up what, 1-0 and he gifted them two breakaways in 35 seconds of play. That could have very easily changed the outcome of that game had they converted on one of those.

But regardless of how you want to classify that spot. Him trying to skate with the puck while being fore checked aggressively happens all the time in games. Him trying to make a play at the line happens all the time in games. Come the playoffs, if they make it, teams will look to exploit the guy whenever he has the puck because it's a clear cut weakness. And I don't mean this to detract from his career or what he was in his prime. It's just that he's simply not that guy any longer and the load needs to be lightened to get the best and most out of him, IMO.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Was that? In terms of that game, sure it was. They were up what, 1-0 and he gifted them two breakaways in 35 seconds of play. That could have very easily changed the outcome of that game had they converted on one of those.

But regardless of how you want to classify that spot. Him trying to skate with the puck while being fore checked aggressively happens all the time in games. Him trying to make a play at the line happens all the time in games. Come the playoffs, if they make it, teams will look to exploit the guy whenever he has the puck because it's a clear cut weakness. And I don't mean this to detract from his career or what he was in his prime. It's just that he's simply not that guy any longer and the load needs to be lightened to get the best and most out of him, IMO.

He had some moments in the Sabres game as well.
He won't like it, but perhaps few minutes in back to backs.
And in a game like the Columbus blow out, play him sparingly.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He had some moments in the Sabres game as well.
He won't like it, but perhaps few minutes in back to backs.
And in a game like the Columbus blow out, play him sparingly.

I would definitely be trying hard to limit his minutes per game. They need him playing well come playoffs, not in some arbitrary game in late December.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I would definitely be trying hard to limit his minutes per game. They need him playing well come playoffs, not in some arbitrary game in late December.

Lonnie coming to the dark side? Finally!!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lonnie coming to the dark side? Finally!!

Nah, but as an organization, you have to plan for every possibility. If they make the playoffs, and Chara is gassed, they'd be in a bad spot. :laugh:

My stance this is a fringe playoff team hasn't changed, but I will say that despite my thoughts that they're a 7/8/9 seed at most, they should still make the playoffs because they have enough talent at key spots to do so. Just like last year and the previous two non-qualifying years. They had enough to be there but failed to execute.

Square Hammer*

Jan 22, 2017
Nah, but as an organization, you have to plan for every possibility. If they make the playoffs, and Chara is gassed, they'd be in a bad spot. :laugh:

My stance this is a fringe playoff team hasn't changed, but I will say that despite my thoughts that they're a 7/8/9 seed at most, they should still make the playoffs because they have enough talent at key spots to do so. Just like last year and the previous two non-qualifying years. They had enough to be there but failed to execute.
A rare appearance in a Bruins thread! With the Bruins winning so much lately, I was wondering if you were going to show up. ;)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
A rare appearance in a Bruins thread! With the Bruins winning so much lately, I was wondering if you were going to show up. ;)

I'm not sure what site you visit, but I'm here all the time. I post in the GDT's pretty much every game, in case you miss me...:laugh:

I think there may be a misconception on your part though about how I view the team. I always root for them to win, but even if they don't, I merely want to see good effort and no quit for me to be okay with the result. When I call them out about something, it's usually around a lack of effort. Like Vatrano last year dogging it back on d after an offensive rush. Or DK during one of his regular season "I'm bored" phases. And that doesn't mean I don't like the player I comment on, just that the lack of effort wasn't up to par, IMO.

Hope that helps you better get why I'm critical at times.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm not sure what site you visit, but I'm here all the time. I post in the GDT's pretty much every game, in case you miss me...:laugh:

I think there may be a misconception on your part though about how I view the team. I always root for them to win, but even if they don't, I merely want to see good effort and no quit for me to be okay with the result. When I call them out about something, it's usually around a lack of effort. Like Vatrano last year dogging it back on d after an offensive rush. Or DK during one of his regular season "I'm bored" phases. And that doesn't mean I don't like the player I comment on, just that the lack of effort wasn't up to par, IMO.

Hope that helps you better get why I'm critical at times.
Lonnie, you make some good points, especially on Chara, but saying you're critical "at times" is like me saying I'm "sometimes" hungry. :laugh:

Reactions: LSCII

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
.... Him trying to skate with the puck while being fore checked aggressively happens all the time in games. Him trying to make a play at the line happens all the time in games. Come the playoffs, if they make it, teams will look to exploit the guy whenever he has the puck because it's a clear cut weakness. And I don't mean this to detract from his career or what he was in his prime. It's just that he's simply not that guy any longer and the load needs to be lightened to get the best and most out of him, IMO.

Got to admit that I agree with this 100%.

Reactions: LSCII

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
right now what does chara get for a new deal ? im sure he would like a 2 year deal and id be fine with 2year 3 per

It will be more than that. Closer to 5 than 3 I would assume. Did you know the Chara/McAvoy pairing is 1st in goals allowed per 60, 1st in corsi allowed per 60 and 2nd in fenwick allowed per 60 (amongst pairings with at least 400 minutes)?

Reactions: BruinLVGA

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i'd hope they would go year to year with chara rather than offering him a 2-year deal. has a player that old ever
gotten a multi-year contract?

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Chara should go the Recchi way and sign for 1 Million the year. I mean he already earned a living with his previous contracts and he would help the team with cap flexibility.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Chara should go the Recchi way and sign for 1 Million the year. I mean he already earned a living with his previous contracts and he would help the team with cap flexibility.
I agree with this although it's not like he really owes them anything nor do they owe him. It would be great to go year-to-year at a million. I think he's still got three more after this one.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Every guy past an ELC has earned a living. No one is taking a discount. Guy is playing like a $6m defenceman this year, easy. Be lucky to get him back for $4m.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Suggesting that a team captain, first-pairing d-man, player who is on a pairing leading the league in goals allowed and Corsi per 60, and mentoring the youngsters would or should sign for 1 million is laughable. Z will likely get between $4-5 million, and will be worth every penny. The talk I read of his demise on this board is borderline insane. I realize that he is older and has slowed down a bit, but his stats the past two years speak for themselves. He is still a highly effective d-man who put up great defensive numbers mentoring a rookie last season, and mentoring a different rookie this season. Whether it is a one or two-year deal the Bs need to give the man what he's worth. If they elect to not do that then there are plenty of teams that would love to have his services at market price for a top-pairing d-man.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
i'd hope they would go year to year with chara rather than offering him a 2-year deal. has a player that old ever
gotten a multi-year contract?

I agree. As long as he can play I have absolutely no issue with them giving him a 4-5m contract year to year. If he would take a heavy discount for 2 years I consider it, but you're much safer doing one year deals.

He looks terrific this year, and McAvoy is only going to get better. If they can keep them together for a few years I think that's terrific experience for him, and it's a great first pairing anyway. I doubt there's any active player in the league who's a better mentor for a young team than him. As long as he can and wants to play he should be welcome here.

Reactions: NDiesel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad