Goals against for Pens defenders so far this season:

Martin 20 (4 while PK'ing, 19 games)
Letang 19 (3 while PK'ing, 19 games)
Gogo 16 (4 while PK'ing 19 games)
Orpik 11 (2 while PK'ing, 13 games)
Michalek 11 (1 while PK'ing, 10 games)
Engelland 11 (1 while PK'ing, 17 games)
Lovejoy 10 (3 while PK'ing, 12 games)

If you consider EN goals and SH goals against, Gogo's ES numbers will be even more impressive compared to the other defenders.
So, should Gogo be Goalsagainstski if virtually all the other defenders are on for more considering the minutes they've played?

He was on the ice for virtually every goal that was scored on us before he was injured. Fact. He was great in pre-season though, but so was Comrie... so that doesn't really matter.

Again, Michalek has been very good in the last couple of games.... except when he slipped against the Rangers. He'll be fine, but it just seems really weird to me that people want to pretend that our new signings are doing well while often throwing Gogo under the bus.
Facts simply don't support doing so, and even when talking about Gogo being soft/undersized, we're still talking about a player making a bigger effort to play physical than our new guys.
Indicator - beyond goals against stats and plus/minus - hits.
Gogo: 18, Martin: 8, Michalek: 7.

The trouble with Gogo is one thing and one thing only. Hesitation/decision making on the PP. Otherwise he is delivering great value for his contract both offensively and defensively. What makes matters worse on the PP is that we don't have anyone else and simply have to give him the time to become better at it - unless he is replaced by someone from outside.

Not saying Gogo is a great player. Just a good one more than living up to his contract and with room to build on that.

I think Goligoski has looked worse lately and I stand by what I said about Michalek looking very solid before his injury. Very solid doesn't mean awesome. Just.. solid.

Should be noted that I've missed a couple games. But Goligoski made some mistakes when I was watching.

Goligoski is definitely on a good contract. No disagreements there. I think you were looking a little too much into that nickname I gave him. ;) I said that because that's how I read it in the post I quoted. I was simply making a joke.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
I expect Michalek will be much better after All Star as he gets more comfortable with his new team. This is great signing by Shero.

It's way too early to judge him just after few games with a new team.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, I didn't really get the Letang/Martin paring. Both players really like to wonder around. They fit much better with a big stay at home type of D-Man. Not sure why they didn't go with the Martin/Michalek and Orpik/Letang pairings from the beginning.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
While I'd like to see Michalek be a bit more ... assertive physically at times, I think he's rounding into a very dependable, solid presence in our zone.

Hopefully the hiccups he's experienced so far are due to the combination of playing for a new team/system and his shoulder injury, and once he's comfortable with both he'll be able to really stand out as a top end shutdown defender.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
I actually liked the Martin - Letang pairing, but the current pairings are better simply because the Orpik - Michalek pairing wasn't a good one. Neither defenseman is very strong from a territorial standpoint so putting them both on one pairing while both of your puck possession two way defenseman are on the other doesn't make a lot of sense. It's kind of a shame that Michalek and Letang are both right handed, I think they'd make a pretty good duo as would Orpik and Martin. Ah well, I'm pretty content with the current pairings right now.

Regarding Michalek, I loved what I saw from him the first two games despite his shaky plus minus. After the injury he started to struggle, especially from a physical standpoint he was getting outmuscled for pucks far too often. Now that he's seemingly recovered from his shoulder inury everything is coming back together for Michalek and he's playing as solid as we expected when he came over from Phoenix. One thing that stands out is how well-timed his dives are to take away passing lanes. I usually get pretty nervous when I see a defenseman drop like that but he has it down to art form and the pass never seems to get through.

My biggest criticism of his game is that he struggles to clear the zone at times, and in general seems a little too happy to throw the puck around the boards instead of being patient and looking for an outlet when he has time. When he does get space though he has a pretty good first pass.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
Somehow I would like to see what Orpik - Engelland pairing would look like.

Martin - Letang
Goligoski - Michalek
Orpik - Engelland

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
At the game, since I can see the whole ice, I had the opportunity to sort of "scout" our defensemen and watch them for a shift.

One thing Michalek does really well is he uses his stick in some really smart ways. He'll often pinch on the forecheck but he'll stop, poke out his stick with one hand and often make contact with the puck but if he's misses, he's in a good position to haul ass back. He's also great and closing the gap right before a forward catches a pass and throw the poke check in there and knock the puck behind him where one of our forwards swoops back and picks it up.

I've actually learned a few simple but effective things watching the Pens defensemen that I'd like to bring back to my team (I coach a Midget A team (15-17 year olds)).

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
One thing Michalek does really well is he uses his stick in some really smart ways. He'll often pinch on the forecheck but he'll stop, poke out his stick with one hand and often make contact with the puck but if he's misses, he's in a good position to haul ass back. He's also great and closing the gap right before a forward catches a pass and throw the poke check in there and knock the puck behind him where one of our forwards swoops back and picks it up.

I think that Michalek's game being so based around making these types of plays is why he's been shaky at times - his game really requires no hesitation and very smart, intelligent decision making. Adapting to a new system, goaltender and teammates can introduce some hesitancy into his game. Once playing in this framework becomes second nature his value will become even more obvious.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Somehow I would like to see what Orpik - Engelland pairing would look like.

Free candy and blood strewn all over the ice. It would be the most boring game ever because the ice-crew would be out there scraping up biologicals every 3 minutes. At some point the league would probably force us to melt and remake the ice to avoid hazmat situations.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I actually liked the Martin - Letang pairing, but the current pairings are better simply because the Orpik - Michalek pairing wasn't a good one. Neither defenseman is very strong from a territorial standpoint so putting them both on one pairing while both of your puck possession two way defenseman are on the other doesn't make a lot of sense. It's kind of a shame that Michalek and Letang are both right handed, I think they'd make a pretty good duo as would Orpik and Martin. Ah well, I'm pretty content with the current pairings right now.

Regarding Michalek, I loved what I saw from him the first two games despite his shaky plus minus. After the injury he started to struggle, especially from a physical standpoint he was getting outmuscled for pucks far too often. Now that he's seemingly recovered from his shoulder inury everything is coming back together for Michalek and he's playing as solid as we expected when he came over from Phoenix. One thing that stands out is how well-timed his dives are to take away passing lanes. I usually get pretty nervous when I see a defenseman drop like that but he has it down to art form and the pass never seems to get through.

My biggest criticism of his game is that he struggles to clear the zone at times, and in general seems a little too happy to throw the puck around the boards instead of being patient and looking for an outlet when he has time. When he does get space though he has a pretty good first pass.

I agree with this.

That Martin-Letang pairing has some potential as a pretty good top pair. Both guys sport a little offensive potential, and both really excel at skating and moving the puck quickly.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
sorry to bump this thread but why was he dealt.. he was an alright defenseman.

He was brought in to be a defensive shotblocking replacement for scuderi, who had left a void year earlier. By the time he was here our defensive system had shifted to rely more on pinching and stretch passes, neither of which were his strong points. If we were playing as we are this year he would have been fine.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
He was brought in to be a defensive shotblocking replacement for scuderi, who had left a void year earlier. By the time he was here our defensive system had shifted to rely more on pinching and stretch passes, neither of which were his strong points. If we were playing as we are this year he would have been fine.

OHHH i see. he could have stayed more and maybe refined his game i guess. hes a really good shot blocking machine

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
He was dealt because he wanted to be dealt. He didn't feel his style of play suited the system, or he didn't feel the system suited his style of play ... either way, he wanted out. Martin was given the same option, but he chose to say.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
He was dealt because he wanted to be dealt. He didn't feel his style of play suited the system, or he didn't feel the system suited his style of play ... either way, he wanted out. Martin was given the same option, but he chose to say.

I don't know what anyone ever saw in him TBH. He blocks tons of shots because the puck is always in his zone...unless he can rely on an all-star calibre D man to move the puck most of the time. On his own merit, he is meh (now pay him 4mil/year):amazed:.

He was a good PKer because he is allowed to ice the puck (which he always seemed to do anyway at 5v5). He used to get smashed a ton on the forecheck too causing many turnovers.

He has the 2nd highest GA/20min of all of PHX's Dmen over the last 4 years, and the 2nd lowest goals for % ( 49%). So if a Defensive D man isn't that great at D, then what is his value?(evidently it's only Harrison Ruopp, and a 3rd round pick - - ie probably nothing in the NHL)

Blitzburgh87*

I agree, OP. He's been pretty invisible lately. i don't even see him out there!

penguins2946*

I think he should have at least been tried with Letang. Him and Scuderi are pretty similar. Why Bylsma didn't try that I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad