Zbynek Michalek

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I had pretty high expectations for Michalek coming in... and so far he's definitely been a disappointment.

The guy was supposed to be a rock defensively, but I just don't see it. Some of the mistakes he's been making are very eerily similar to the types of gaffes that Gonchar made during his time here.

Like for example, when Michalek slipped last night and caused a 2-1 which resulted in the OT winner for the Rags. That play was extremely similar to some of the mistakes Gonchar made in the Montreal series.

To be honest, I just don't see Michalek battling out there for loose pucks and making smart decisions. It seems like his positioning is off and he's one step behind on a lot of plays. He's not playing physical or winning many puck battles down low.

I know he's only played 10 games so it's a relatively small sample size, but there's no denying that Michalek has been pretty bad so far this season. He's been pretty slow out of the gate compared to the rest our defensemen. I think Martin in particular has looked great out there. Again, I don't think Michalek has been brutal or anything, but I'm a little disappointed in his play so far this year.

Last edited:

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Michalek had a few rough games after coming back from his injury, but overall I think he's been fine. I think he will get better as the season progresses as well.

Also can't blame him for that 2 on 1 last night. He didn't misplay the puck, he just slipped/caught a rut and fell. Can't control that, it happens. That's not a mistake, just an unfortunate occurrence.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
To keep it short, I am in agreement. Michalek has been rather disappointing and has been a solid contributor in our terrifyingly lackadaisical defensive efforts. He's been decent in the defensive zone, but a couple significant gaffes are not helping to keep him under the radar.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm not worried about him. The ability is there, it's just he keeps screwing up at the worst possible times. The rest of the night last night he was great. That OT was horrific.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I think Michalek has been fine given he's coming back from injury. You're not going to notice him in a game like last night's and that's a positive thing for defenseman. It's the tighterchecking games where you'll see him shine.

How did you like the arena?

Back on topic.....I think Z will be fine. Coming back from the injury he definitely needed a can of Rust-oleum.

nTsplnk*

Michalek has been fantastic imo.

He lost an edge, so what? **** happens.

Plus he was injured for most of the year.

This forum is too reactionary. To every..little. detail.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
While I can't comment on his entire game last night (only saw bits and pieces of the game), I can't believe he's being blamed for tripping. It happens. It's not like it was a bad decision or a bad pass on his part. He read the play properly -- he was even in the process of backing up when he tripped. So it's not like he pinched at the wrong time and got caught.

If there was a defensive breakdown on that play, it was his defense partner's (Martin, I believe?).

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I mean, he hasn't been fantastic but he's been ok. I assumed their'd be an adjustment period for him coming from the way the Coyotes play to what the Pens do. Same thing happened with Gonchar his first year here. You play one way in one system for the start of your career and it takes time to get used to something different. The injury definitely didn't help him out either...he'll get better by playing.

Thankfully he didn't sign a one-year contract and we'll reap the benefits of his play long term once he gets settled and comfortable.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Michalek has been fantastic imo.

He lost an edge, so what? **** happens.

Plus he was injured for most of the year.

This forum is too reactionary. To every..little. detail.

While on the whole I agree that HF always blows up over small things (at least based on what I've seen over the last 6 or 7 years I've been perusing the boards), hockey IS a game of small details. Small things lead to big results, as evidenced by a simple transitional cross-over flap resulting in a divisional opponent moving an additional step ahead of you in the big picture that is the standings. I'm a big proponent of 'games mean just as much now as they do during the last week of the season'.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Agreed on the transition from PHX to here.

I remember a quote from ZM when asked what the differences are from the Yotes to the Pen's. ZM: "it is definitely different here. So many set plays. We didn't have any in Phoenix."

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, he hasn't been fantastic but he's been ok. I assumed their'd be an adjustment period for him coming from the way the Coyotes play to what the Pens do. Same thing happened with Gonchar his first year here. You play one way in one system for the start of your career and it takes time to get used to something different. The injury definitely didn't help him out either...he'll get better by playing.

Thankfully he didn't sign a one-year contract and we'll reap the benefits of his play long term once he gets settled and comfortable.

Bingo.

Gonchar was an elite, legit first-paring guy and it took him nearly a full-season to look even remotely like an NHL player here. I cannot emphasize how atrocious Gonchar looked his first season with the Pens, and he turned out to be a legit Norris candidate.

The growing pains suck, but that's what happens when you undergo a wholesale change in your blueline.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Who called that Michalek would be a whipping boy?

I think he is still nursing an injury, and if the games he played pre-injury are any indication of what he will be, I am very happy with the signing.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Him and Martin will be fine. I wasn't mad with him losing an edge - it happens, but what happened 2 seconds before was what irked me.

He had clear posession of the puck and had a chance to get it back deep in the zone. He flubbed it - panicked - and THEN fell.

I like the signings, but nothing from him and Martin scream 9M dollars to me.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
how exactly is Michalek supposed to be a shut down guy when he is routinely trying to defend odd man breaks?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Again, to put it in perspective, nothing about the Gonchar signing screamed $5 million at the time either.

It's unfortunate that Michalek has to work off the rust AND adapt to our team at the same time, but it's still way too early to write him off as not worth the money.

Ace36758

Feb 15, 2007
Calgary
It's amazing how half the people on this board make a thread calling for a player or the team's heads after one bad game or one bad play. Keep it up!

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
He looks decent to me, but I'm not sure about the deal we gave him. Like everyone said, he's basically an upgraded Scuderi 2.0, and I think we jumped on him in free agency when his market value was at an absolute peak. I think it's going to be a tall task for him to actually live up to that contract. He's going to have to eliminate those kind of gaffes like last night or else he'll be a frequent target for criticism.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
In a sense you have to give Michalek a break with his misfortunes this year, and what D-man hasn't had there down falls this year in one game or another?

tocchet92

Feb 9, 2007

If it weren't for his shoulder injury, I would adamantly agree with this. The shoulder thing gives me some reservations. I am not sure if I am imagining this b/c I am looking for it.. but he has seemed timid since coming back.

Gonchar made himself into a pretty solid defender until he got trucked by Koci. His offensive prowess returned but his defensive abilities regressed almost to the level he was at in his first season with the Pens (lousy).

His injury wasn't nearly as serious as Gonch's so I remain optimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->