Zaitsev vs Larsson (oil)

Who's better right now?

• Total voters

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Larssons better and its not close. Stop making justifications to convince yourself that Zaitsev's better

Very strong argument here. Just like when you invaded the Liljegren thread. Yep, you're really showing us with statements like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Stats say Zaitsev. Come on..
I know what the stats say. I'm actually a fan of Zaitsev and his contract is looking pretty good right now. I've watched a few Leafs games including at least the first period of tonight's game (the Canucks come on shortly) and so far he's been solid positionally and obviously he's put up the points thus far. But Larsson is an awesome defenseman and I feel you're severely under rating him here.

Anyway, this isn't worth discussing for me any further.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I know what the stats say. I'm actually a fan of Zaitsev and his contract is looking pretty good right now. I've watched a few Leafs games including at least the first period of tonight's game (the Canucks come on shortly) and so far he's been solid positionally and obviously he's put up the points thus far. But Larsson is an awesome defenseman and I feel you're severely under rating him here.

Anyway, this isn't worth discussing for me any further.
Larsson's numbers are not that good. I am not underrating him. I've made a very valid point about getting a young top 4 RH D for free vs giving up a first overall pick for Larsson.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Larsson's numbers are not that good. I am not underrating him. I've made a very valid point about getting a young top 4 RH D for free vs giving up a first overall pick for Larsson.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you think stat watching is a sufficient way to evaluate defensive defenseman.

In which case I'd say Zaitsev's -22 is telling.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Completely different defensemen so its tricky to compare. Both benefit their teams greatly. The plus for the Leafs is they found Zaitsev via free agency. But I still stand by the Oilers and their trade of Hall for Larsson. They needed that stability on the back end and they got it.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Zaitsev would be seen as a definite top pairing defender with #1D potential if he entered the league on any other team. He is much better than Larsson.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Voted Larsson

Zaitsev has been really good this season, hope that he keeps it up. For anyone who's voting on pedigree it's definitely worth seeing Zaitsev play, he's been a hell of a pleasant surprise especially so far this season

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
How is Larsson better? Is he better right now?
A 4-5 game sample size is not enough to judge 2 players. Larsson has been better every year before this ainec. By the logic your using Boeser is better than Marner because he has been better this year so far and Marner has been demoted to the 4th line (lol).

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you think stat watching is a sufficient way to evaluate defensive defenseman.

In which case I'd say Zaitsev's -22 is telling.[/QUOTE
A 4-5 game sample size is not enough to judge 2 players. Larsson has been better every year before this ainec. By the logic your using Boeser is better than Marner because he has been better this year so far and Marner has been demoted to the 4th line (lol).
Was Larsson really better last season?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Larsson would be in a tough battle with Hainsey for the #4 dman spot on the leafs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last Year plus This year:

(I've converted quality of competion by opponents' ice time into letter grades to make it simpler, the rest of the stats are all adjusted for score and zone deployment).

Hainsey 77gms, ES 18:32 (B+ qoc), 0.65p60, 53.0xgf% (+2.9rel) / PP 0:11, 0.00p60 / SH 3:14
Larsson 83gms, ES 18:15 (B+ qoc), 0.60p60, 52.7xgf% (+1.0rel) / PP 0:11, 0.00p60 / SH 1:43

Two very solid #4 dmen here.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Larsson would be in a tough battle with Hainsey for the #4 dman spot on the leafs.
that's not how player comparisons work.
Matthews would be in a though battle for 3C on the pens. must be tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad