Zaitsev vs Larsson (oil)

Who's better right now?

• Total voters

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Zaitsev was a tire fire in his own zone last year. -22 or something wasn't it?
Actually he was great. If you want to use the +/- argument though, it wasn't long ago where Oscar Klefbom racked up a -21 in only 60 games. And we all know Oilers fans love to prop him up as a great defensemen.

Zaitsev was a victim of circumstance last year. When you're playing on a team that's rolling 7 rookie forwards in front of you, it's going to be a very hard time regardless. He did absolutely incredible given that, and he looks to be even better this year. His offense is also light years ahead of Larsson.

I have Zaitsev comfortably ahead of Larsson right now.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If Larsson was Andrey Larsonov he would have been a 1st pairing defenseman on team Russia.

Larsson is definately better defensively, and they are not so far away offensively(unless Zaitsev improved so much in TML). Nikita is hot now, but he will cool down eventually.
They are both victims of the teams they play(ed) on.
Larsson has a rep of being great defensively while decent offensively. Some of that Rep comes from playing for the Devils the rest he has earned.
Zaits is considered decent offensively and bad defensively both of which are influenced by playing on Tor.
1st Zaits is going to have his #'s inflated by playing on such a high scoring team.
2nd the bad defensively label is an unfair one, he may not be the best guy to over power a forwards and take possession but he is cool under pressure and makes the right plays to get the puck out

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Actually he was great. If you want to use the +/- argument though, it wasn't long ago where Oscar Klefbom racked up a -21 in only 60 games. And we all know Oilers fans love to prop him up as a great defensemen.

Zaitsev was a victim of circumstance last year. When you're playing on a team that's rolling 7 rookie forwards in front of you, it's going to be a very hard time regardless. He did absolutely incredible given that, and he looks to be even better this year. His offense is also light years ahead of Larsson.

I have Zaitsev comfortably ahead of Larsson right now.
The crazy thing is Zaitsev has a rocket of a shot but he barely utilized it last year and still put up 36 pts despite scoring only 4 goals. He should be able to get 10 goals easily this year.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
31 GM:s would choose Larsson ahead of Zaitsev, if given the option of either.

There's your answer.

Oh cool the GM's we're polled. Can you give me a link to the results? Hmmm..

I think just as someone else has stated here they are very different defencemen. I'm not sure one is that far ahead of the other currently.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Shouldn’t this debate be for their wives to discuss?

I sure have no interest in gathering that sort of information.
giphy.gif

Reactions: sparxx87

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
DEFENSE:
Larsson > Zaitsev

OFFENSE:
Larsson < Zaitsev

but I'd prefer Larsson due to his shutdown ability, he's pretty good at it

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nah, he wasn't a tire fire. He actually played quite well but him and Rielly faced over the top usage. Zaitsev also hit a wall late in the season, due to being used to the shorter KHL schedule. He played a lot better when paired with Gardiner and right now he's +7, not that I take +/- seriously either way.

+/- has its flaws, just like corsi for adjudicating D men. But it still has some utility.

I thought he was pretty poor last year in his own zone. However, he does look better thus far.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Could we ban Oilers and Leaf fans until the season is over ? You guys have the best players in the NHL.

Especially Leaf fans , Zaitsev is better than Larson. Heck he's better than Doughty. You guys win. Now **** already .

Cool story. Unless I'm mistaken this was posted on the general forum where anyone can post. If you don't like it perhaps don't click on it.

Reactions: ThewThew

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Cool story. Unless I'm mistaken this was posted on the general forum where anyone can post. If you don't like it perhaps don't click on it.

Well considering every thread is about Oilers and Leafs it's hard not too. Oilers fans aren't bad I too think Mcdavid is the best player right now but seeing a thread arguing if Matthews is better than Mcdavid. And Zaitsev vs Larsen, starting to get real annoying. How old are the fans ? 12??

Someone wrote they wouldn't trade Matthews for Mcdavid.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well considering every thread is about Oilers and Leafs it's hard not too. Oilers fans aren't bad I too think Mcdavid is the best player right now but seeing a thread arguing if Matthews is better than Mcdavid. And Zaitsev vs Larsen, starting to get real annoying. How old are the fans ? 12??

Trust me, we want the madness to stop too.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Super. Everyone has opinions. Even people who are wrong. Either way complaining that the biggest fanbase makes the most threads isn't exactly an intelligent post and that is saying a lot around here.

Again if you don't want to participate in threads about the Leafs or Oilers ignore them. This isn't difficult.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Trust me, we want the madness to stop too.

What madness? Leafs and Oilers fanbase makes up probably 7 or 8 teams worth of fans. Considering how their seasons ended last season and how they have begun this season is it that hard to understand why there are so many Leafs and Oiler threads?

I was driving around at 8:30 this morning and there sure was a lot of traffic around me. I wish more cars would stop driving at 8:30 in the morning for some reason. It really gets in my way of getting to work on time.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Larsson is great and all, but I prefer two-way defensemen over stay at home ones, no matter how good defensively the stay at home guys are.

Two way d-men usually bring a lot more impact to the game because they're good in more than one zone. I think by season's end, almost everyone will prefer Zaitsev over Larsson.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Can I say the guy who was had for free instead of the guy who cost a former 1st overall pick?
That's why the Leafs have better organizational depth compared to the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad