News Article: Zadorov Suspended for Two Games

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Looked at it again this morning:
-Zadorov crouches to make hit
-he kinda misses the hit and ends up hitting head to head with Raymond. Raymond’s head does brush Zs shoulder but it was mostly head to head.
- I see zero intent to target the head. Z just missed.
-still it was a little reckless and he deserved 5min. I have no idea about suspension because I have no idea what the criteria are.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Dumb but not surprised. How this gets 2, Dillon gets 3 and yet Rasmus Andersson gets 4 with a blatant intent to injure at the end of a game(so that game didn’t even count towards missed time), is absolutely insane.

This league continues to be a joke with discipline but Bettman will be too spineless to fire Parros

Reactions: David71 and andora

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Dumb but not surprised. How this gets 2, Dillon gets 3 and yet Rasmus Andersson gets 4 with a blatant intent to injure at the end of a game(so that game didn’t even count towards missed time), is absolutely insane.

This league continues to be a joke with discipline but Bettman will be too spineless to fire Parros
Keep in mind that this is the league that promotes two guys standing toe to toe and pummeling each other in the head.
I’m not against fighting. It just seems inconsistent with the punitive way they handle hitting.
To me The hit was similar to an unintentional high stick, which sometimes don’t even get called. There is just so much inconsistency in discipline across plays that involve head contact. It’s weird.

Last edited:

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Giving players suspensions for attempting clean hits but slightly missing discourages the throwing of clean hits in the future. It sucks.
I think that’s the point NHL wants to make though, is be sure you’re going to get the body and not the head, otherwise avoid contact. With concussions being a very serious issue, I’m ok with that.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think that’s the point NHL wants to make though, is be sure you’re going to get the body and not the head, otherwise avoid contact. With concussions being a very serious issue, I’m ok with that.
Which I understand if that’s the way they want go. But high sticks have to be two handed across the temple in order to to get a suspension. And punching a guy in the head is ok as long as he knows it’s coming. It’s just inconsistent.
I agree with @MS though, it will end up taking hitting out of the game and that would be unfortunate.

Reactions: Aqualung

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

My point is that attempts at clean hits that contact the head are nonsensically considered worse/suspended more harshly than stick fouls to the head or blasting a guy from behind head-first into the boards, which also are major concussion risks. It's absurd. Actual intentional dirty play should be punished the most heavily.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
My point is that attempts at clean hits that contact the head are nonsensically considered worse/suspended more harshly than stick fouls to the head or blasting a guy from behind head-first into the boards, which also are major concussion risks. It's absurd. Actual intentional dirty play should be punished the most heavily.
Might happen to Morgan Reilly as an example.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Giving players suspensions for attempting clean hits but slightly missing discourages the throwing of clean hits in the future. It sucks.

Honestly - and I'm sure I'll get called soft or whatever - this hit isn't one that should be attempted. These plays where you're coming from the numbers side of a player to make an open-ice hit are generally just poor decision making. You're absolutely asking for trouble, excessively endangering the target, and it's a reasonable likelihood that you miss and put yourself out the play; players should really know better by now.

The player has to try to kind of loop around and change the angle of attack so that they're hitting the guy from the front, and the target becomes such an impossibly tiny sliver of body, especially since angle of approach means that the player's head is going to be prominently hanging out there and almost impossible to avoid contacting first.

The specific angles and level of sheer violence on impact are obviously different but this general angle of approach is what gets you the Cooke on Savard hit, or your Colby Armstrong special, where the hitter is coming from the numbers side which makes the angle of attack such that the receiver's head is almost inevitably going to take the brunt of it. It's just so hard to catch a guy properly coming from that angle across the body because there's just so little target available to you, and you're trying to make so many adjustments all at the same time that you tend to end up kind of reaching and lunging back to make contact rather than moving straight through their body, and that's where you end up getting into trouble.

DOPS being an inconsistent shitshow is a separate discussion, but I have no problem with this in isolation.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
1707681889599.png

This was point of contact… head hadn’t been hit yet. The frame before this he is moving his head out of the way.

I don’t have a problem with the nhl wanting to get rid of these hits… gut point of contact wasn’t the head.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't even object to the suspension in principle, but it's such a radically different decision compared to anything else.

Use your stick as a weapon? All part of the game. A little late on a hit? The rest of the playoffs. The optics of the a hit LOOK like a head shot? Multi game suspension. Overt elbow cranking someone in the face? Shake it off, there will be no discipline.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
View attachment 818096

This was point of contact… head hadn’t been hit yet. The frame before this he is moving his head out of the way.

I don’t have a problem with the nhl wanting to get rid of these hits… gut point of contact wasn’t the head.

Zadorov is traveling across Raymond's body, not into it - he's skating backwards rather than forwards. This is literally a screen grab of the back of Zadorov's shoulder making initial contact with Raymond's head. Like, if you're arguing that he brushed the guy's sweater or whatever on the way by, sure, but he effectively only makes contact with his head on the play.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Zadorov is traveling across Raymond's body, not into it - he's skating backwards rather than forwards. This is literally a screen grab of the back of Zadorov's shoulder making initial contact with Raymond's head. Like, if you're arguing that he brushed the guy's sweater or whatever on the way by, sure, but he effectively only makes contact with his head on the play.
Slow the video down… you are wrong. As someone else said it looks like it’s actually head to head.

In the video Z makes a J like cut coming from the blindside (again fine if that’s the call and suspension) but shoulder contacts chest, then head to head.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpeg
    IMG_0695.jpeg
    611.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
    724.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 1

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Slow the video down… you are wrong. As someone else said it looks like it’s actually head to head.

In the video Z makes a J like cut coming from the blindside (again fine if that’s the call and suspension) but shoulder contacts chest, then head to head.
I have no idea what to tell you. His shoulder catches Raymond's jaw, and then their heads hit as Zadorov is basically missing the hit, and his path is through Raymond's head rather than his body. I don't think it was a malicious play, but any meaningful contact is pretty much exclusively with his head. It's pretty much the poster child for why attempting these hits coming from the numbers side of a guy isn't worth it.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i don't think it's beneficial to slow these hits down to microseconds - it doesn't add or detract anything relevant to supplemental discipline imo.

if the NHL could just come out and say - this is in the category of 'reckless hit causing head contact' - DONE - you have a new category that makes it so much easier to explain to people.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I have no idea what to tell you. His shoulder catches Raymond's jaw, and then their heads hit as Zadorov is basically missing the hit, and his path is through Raymond's head rather than his body. I don't think it was a malicious play, but any meaningful contact is pretty much exclusively with his head. It's pretty much the poster child for why attempting these hits coming from the numbers side of a guy isn't worth it.
Fine… ignore the photos

i don't think it's beneficial to slow these hits down to microseconds - it doesn't add or detract anything relevant to supplemental discipline imo.

if the NHL could just come out and say - this is in the category of 'reckless hit causing head contact' - DONE - you have a new category that makes it so much easier to explain to people.

Totally agree. It’s why I even said, if they call it a blindside sure…

I think most people’s issue, mine included is just that it’s all just random.

Reactions: andora

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Fine… ignore the photos

Totally agree. It’s why I even said, if they call it a blindside sure…

I think most people’s issue, mine included is just that it’s all just random.
Yep it gets random because all these categories and mitigating factors etc.... get added in

This stuff doesnt need all the layers

Reactions: racerjoe and Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad