Zack Smith

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have a feeling Hoffy turns into Drouin,and maybe a decent bottom 6 rw to fill Chia,s slot

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think the big caveat with Smith is the next contract. He is a bottom 6 guy....and that is where he should be paid, and hopefully not for too long a term, either. If he's looking for 2nd-line money next year....then we have a problem.

If he is happy with getting around 1.75-2.0 mil, then I would definitely keep him. We need a guy with a good motor who will do the dirty work around the net and hustle every shift (like he has been doing this season). Seems a lot of our guys don't like getting their hands dirty in front of the net or in the corners.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think the big caveat with Smith is the next contract. He is a bottom 6 guy....and that is where he should be paid, and hopefully not for too long a term, either. If he's looking for 2nd-line money next year....then we have a problem.

If he is happy with getting around 1.75-2.0 mil, then I would definitely keep him. We need a guy with a good motor who will do the dirty work around the net and hustle every shift (like he has been doing this season). Seems a lot of our guys don't like getting their hands dirty in front of the net or in the corners.
I think he is already at 1.9 or so ,yeah him getting too much north of this might be problematic

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I really hope the people saying lets get rid of smith aren't the same that wanted to keep Prince. Unfortunately I think for the most part that is the case.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I think Ottawa probably could get him for bottom 6 money if they extended a year early and gave him a decent amount of term.

If he remains unsigned and pots 20-25 two seasons in a row, especially with teams having extra cap room due to losing guys in the expansion draft, he'll get a 5+ year deal at 4M or more. Probably, not from Ottawa.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I really hope the people saying lets get rid of smith aren't the same that wanted to keep Prince. Unfortunately I think for the most part that is the case.

What can you say about people who wanted to cash in (or "get rid of" as you call it) on Wiercioch, Greening or Cowen when they still had decent value?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
What can you say about people who wanted to cash in (or "get rid of" as you call it) on Wiercioch, Greening or Cowen when they still had decent value?

Maybe Cowen at one point, but none of these guys ever held more than about a 3rd round pick value.

Basically where Smith's value is now.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Smith won't be a perennial 25 goal scorer but he's become very comfortable on LW and on Pageau's wing.

Stone won't be on that line anymore when everyone is healthy but you can keep Smith-Pageau together on the 3rd line, which is great.

Get rid of Chiasson and you can have a Smith-Pageau-Colin White or Santorelli (cheap vet FA) third line which is very very good.

Yes I like this

MacArthur-Turris-Stone (chemistry + IQ + skill)
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan (massive skill, let them figure it out)
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel (Dzingel is not Stone but his speed, IQ and hands will do just fine)
Paul-Lazar-Neil (awesome 4th line)

* Dzingel can play any forward position.
** Chiasson is not needed anymore, use him in a deal with Wiercioch

Well it literally defines HF. HF = Hockey's Future. The #1 Online Prospects Resource.

Of course, and I like prospects a LOT too... But you know what we meant though.

Sometimes it gets ridiculous because of that youth movement trend becomes insane and exagerrated a lot of times...

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Maybe Cowen at one point, but none of these guys ever held more than about a 3rd round pick value.

Basically where Smith's value is now.

So Smith is only a "+ 7th" away from having the same value as Prince?! Come on, you are undervaluing Smith even without his exaggerated shooting percentage.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
So Smith is only a "+ 7th" away from having the same value as Prince?! Come on, you are undervaluing Smith even without his exaggerated shooting percentage.

Going by the deals that have been made the past few years, I figure I am fairly close with a 3rd round pick.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Those being?

Purcell, McGinn, Stempniak.. there are a few more I could name.

Am I way off base or something?

What do people think would be offered for Smith?

This isn't to put Smith down, I like the guy and want him on the team rather than give him away for a pick.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

This isn't to put Smith down, I like the guy and want him on the team rather than give him away for a pick.

Purcell is a soft 1 way winger with 11 goals. Got a 3rd.

Stempniak got a 2nd and a 4th. 17 goals (30 assists)

Mcginn got a 3rd, which may become a 2nd. He has 17 goals

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I don't understand the hate in general for one of the best forwards this calendar year. It's not like it's Smith's contract year or something, call spades for spades, Smith has been excellent as a top-6 winger with Pageau and Stone (the man who develops career years for his linemates).

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
I don't understand the hate in general for one of the best forwards this calendar year. It's not like it's Smith's contract year or something, call spades for spades, Smith has been excellent as a top-6 winger with Pageau and Stone (the man who develops career years for his linemates).

This is true. I think some of this frustration comes from the coaching staff's tendency to put grinders on a pedestal already (like Boro), and that they'll likely use this season by Smith as proof their methodology is right, regardless of how unsustainable it is and whether or not Smith, the organization, and some fans recognize that.

My biggest worry though is that the Sens can begin negotiating an extension with Smith this summer, as he'll be entering the last year of his deal. Knowing this management group, with signing Greening and Boro to extensions before their contracts were up, as well as valuing character and intangibles so heavily, regardless of quality of play, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him something in the 5 year range at around $3.5 million per. The team just unloaded a bunch of bad contracts in the Phaneuf deal, do we really need to start signing more?

The other big worry I have: the team will use this season from Smith to justify moving out Hoffman.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Way more then that. He is a 20 goal scorer who can play wing and centre and kill penalties. His contract is dirt cheap for what he brings and is only for one year so little risk. Lots of playoff/contending teams would possibly want him because he is versatile and is a cap bargain.

He is more valuable this offseason by far then the players above. Could get a solid 5 defenceman perhaps, or a lot more then a third in futures.

That said he will stay here because we need him next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Way more then that. He is a 20 goal scorer who can play wing and centre and kill penalties. His contract is dirt cheap for what he brings and is only for one year so little risk. Lots of playoff/contending teams would possibly want him because he is versatile and is a cap bargain.

He is more valuable this offseason by far then the players above. Could get a solid 5 defenceman perhaps, or a lot more then a third in futures.

That said he will stay here because we need him next year.

Full support of this ^

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

trade a guy you've developed for no reason other than the prospect of developing a player with a pick you aquire. What kind of backwards thinking is that. Look prince was moved for a reason, he didn't have a spot on this team. Smith does.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004

My heart was broken when they didn't unload Wiercioch in the summer. He didn't look too awful at the worlds, playing the gentler, slower-paced international game. I hoped some GM would be impressed enough to make some kind of an offer for him.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
trade a guy you've developed for no reason other than the prospect of developing a player with a pick you aquire. What kind of backwards thinking is that. Look prince was moved for a reason, he didn't have a spot on this team. Smith does.

Again i think the main issue is how management views smith. If this season makes smith a non starter in trade conversations then thats the wrong way to go. If someone overpays for smith you trade him, if someone doesnt you can keep him.

Just please murray dont extend him for something stupid this offseason. We have been burned more often then not trying to extend a player early for an attempt at a bargain.

Hoffman for Drouin, Condra and a late round pick.

Condra has negative value for T.B. The pick is to take him off their hands.

What is the obsession with condra? On top of that we wont have room at all

Forwards that we have on one way deals (minus hoffman for the sake of discussion)
Ryan
Turris
Stone
Macarthur
Zibby
Pageau
Smith
Neil
Pageau
Puempel (rfa but gets the one way deal with exposure to waivers)
Dzingel (rfa but gets the one way deal with exposure to waivers)

2 way guys that have been better than condra for us
Lazar
Paul

Condra is only an upgrade on chiasson, but thats still 13 forwards listed and if you add hoffman/drouin it becomes 14. Having condra as a 15th forward is not a luxury a budget team can afford

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010

Forwards that we have on one way deals (minus hoffman for the sake of discussion)
Ryan
Turris
Stone
Macarthur
Zibby
Pageau
Smith
Neil
Pageau

Lazar
Paul

Condra is only an upgrade on chiasson, but thats still 13 forwards listed and if you add hoffman/drouin it becomes 14. Having condra as a 15th forward is not a luxury a budget team can afford

Dzingel can still be sent down without waivers.

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator/ryan-dzingel#results

Condra would be here for flexibility. He can play both wings, PK and fill in on most lines. If he gets outplayed, he can sit on the bench. It's not like he's making that much.

This is also contingent on White not being signed, or Paul not being sent down.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Again i think the main issue is how management views smith. If this season makes smith a non starter in trade conversations then thats the wrong way to go. If someone overpays for smith you trade him, if someone doesnt you can keep him.

Just please murray dont extend him for something stupid this offseason. We have been burned more often then not trying to extend a player early for an attempt at a bargain.

Ryan
Turris
Stone
Macarthur
Zibby
Pageau
Smith
Neil
Pageau

Lazar
Paul

Oh i agree some of that list needs to be thinned out ,but as far as good rw prospects we just dont have much depth .As compared to what we have on the left side and down the middle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad