Zack Smith

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
moving wings and positions in general isn't as easy as you suggest. he's a rookie...

positions are very important... they determine roster decisions for the most part, even moreso than "best player"

You are completely missing the point - which is that we have players who can slot in on all the other lines so Smith doesn't have to move if the Smith/JGP/Stone line remains as good as they have been.

I am not pulling this out of my ass either - Dzingel has played C for most of his life and played both wings in Bingo I believe so moving probably wouldn't be that hard for him...if it is we have other people to slot in so he can play a more natural position.

I threw some names in to some lines just to show there are warm bodies to make up other lines, I wasn't trying to create the master blueprint for next season.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
You are completely missing the point - which is that we have players who can slot in on all the other lines so Smith doesn't have to move if the Smith/JGP/Stone line remains as good as they have been.

I am not pulling this out of my ass either - Dzingel has played C for most of his life and played both wings in Bingo I believe so moving probably wouldn't be that hard for him...if it is we have other people to slot in so he can play a more natural position.

I threw some names in to some lines just to show there are warm bodies to make up other lines, I wasn't trying to create the master blueprint for next season.

i understand your point (though I disagree with it)

i was just making a different one

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
OK fair enough if that was the point you wanted to make.

Back on the topic of Smith - you believe he must be moved? Is it just that you want Stone with more proven players or Smith relegated back to his more traditional role?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I see Smith as a 3rd line LW longterm. That allows him to stay with Pageau.

I see Stone as 1st line RW and ideally playing with 1st line talent when everyone is healthy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I prefer to spread the scoring around rather than pile it up on one or two lines. This lineup has lots of possibilities to make changes if required & depth. On LW we have Puempel, Paul, McCormick, DD & Dzingel who can move into or up in the lineup. At centre we have Paul, Lazar, Dzingel, McCormick & Smith or Zibanejad. At RW we have Chiasson, Robinson, Lazar, Neil & a couple of LWers who have played RW before including DD & Dzingel. And on defence our only weakness depth wise is another good right shot defenceman who can be called up if needed, more likely a left shot defenceman will move over to right D. We also have the assets to make a move for a good top 6 centre or LW forward. On left defence Methot, Phaneuf & Boroweicki are all hard hitters & very difficult to play against & we are very skilled on the right side. Nice to see Dzingel drop the gloves tonight against Dumba.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Hoffman - Lazar - Zibanejad
Paul - Dzingel - Neil/Chiasson
Puempel - McCormick - Robinson

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman/Wiercioch/Claesson

Anderson - Hammond/O'Connor/Dreidger

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
moving wings and positions in general isn't as easy as you suggest. he's a rookie...

positions are very important... they determine roster decisions for the most part, even moreso than "best player"
Thank you :handclap:Tried to explain that ,a natural LW is likely a LH player .And for us that left side of our defense pre Phanuef ,and forwards.Which currently is still a weak area for us .Hopefully getting Macarther back,and Smith,s found chemistry with JGP will ,help with the OA team defense .

The bottom 6 RW slots could use better options as well

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I prefer to spread the scoring around rather than pile it up on one or two lines. This lineup has lots of possibilities to make changes if required & depth. On LW we have Puempel, Paul, McCormick, DD & Dzingel who can move into or up in the lineup. At centre we have Paul, Lazar, Dzingel, McCormick & Smith or Zibanejad. At RW we have Chiasson, Robinson, Lazar, Neil & a couple of LWers who have played RW before including DD & Dzingel. And on defence our only weakness depth wise is another good right shot defenceman who can be called up if needed, more likely a left shot defenceman will move over to right D. We also have the assets to make a move for a good top 6 centre or LW forward. On left defence Methot, Phaneuf & Boroweicki are all hard hitters & very difficult to play against & we are very skilled on the right side. Nice to see Dzingel drop the gloves tonight against Dumba.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Hoffman - Lazar - Zibanejad
Paul - Dzingel - Neil/Chiasson
Puempel - McCormick - Robinson

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman/Wiercioch/Claesson

Anderson - Hammond/O'Connor/Dreidger
For me getting a better offensive and better puck management 2nd line center would a great add.Getting a guy like RNH or Duschene would push Zibby down into a bottom 6 center role .With and Zibby and JGP as our bottom 6 centers i would think we would more better suited to handle most teams ,just by sheer 4 line depth:handclap:

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Lol what's with Sens fans and wanting to trade every good player we get? Why not keep Smith and see what he can do?
Trade him while his value is high.
Hell, let's do that with everyone.

Who needs a team of quality players when we can just collect a **** ton of draft picks and prospects? They might even become quality players one day!

I just don't get people that want to get rid of players who are producing, for future players that have a good chance of not panning out!

WTF is wrong with people????? :rant:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I see Smith as a 3rd line LW longterm. That allows him to stay with Pageau.

I see Stone as 1st line RW and ideally playing with 1st line talent when everyone is healthy.

How much better are Turris and Zibanejad than Pageau really though.... Once given the opportunity Pageau has produced at the same clip. Eye test he doesnt look as good as Zibby or especially Turris when it comes to the skill side of things however what he lacks in obvious skill he makes up for in other ways. His work ethic and puck possession is much better, he is stronger on the puck than both Turris and Zibanejad and is much better in traffic too.

Its obvious that Stone is the straw that stirs the drink here, the three centerman really havent been that much better than each other when you look at their production with strong opportunity. Turris is clearly the most skilled but is the weakest physically. Zibanejad has the best raw tools but doesnt seem to be able to/care to put it all together.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
But if the players is already used to moving around the forward positions it wouldn't be so bad...

Being used to it in junior and in the AHL isn't the same as the NHL. Don't make that mistake.

How much better are Turris and Zibanejad than Pageau really though.... Once given the opportunity Pageau has produced at the same clip. Eye test he doesnt look as good as Zibby or especially Turris when it comes to the skill side of things however what he lacks in obvious skill he makes up for in other ways. His work ethic and puck possession is much better, he is stronger on the puck than both Turris and Zibanejad and is much better in traffic too.

Its obvious that Stone is the straw that stirs the drink here, the three centerman really havent been that much better than each other when you look at their production with strong opportunity. Turris is clearly the most skilled but is the weakest physically. Zibanejad has the best raw tools but doesnt seem to be able to/care to put it all together.

That's fair.

I'd still rather give Turris and Zbad a full season as the top six centres to see where that gets us.

No shame in having a potential #2 C in Pageau playing 3rd line and PK minutes. He's like a much better Marcus Kruger, and he isn't making 3M+ :laugh:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I'd trade Smith for the best offer made at the draft. He's an average 4th liner with an unrepeatable shooting percentage. Cash in.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

All three centres & their wingers have the makings of a good 2nd line, therefore rather than having a good top line & an energy 3rd line we could have three good second lines & still come out of this with three good scoring lines. Isn't that just as good? Then try during the yr to trade Chiasson in some kind of package for another good RW player or give Bailey, DD, McCormick & Robinson a shot at replacing him. We end up with two left hand centres & two right hand centres below.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan - this used to be a pretty good line
Smith - Pageau - Stone - Smith & Pageau already take turns taking faceoffs.
Hoffman - Lazar - Zibanejad - switch Lazar & Zibby from time to time depending who they play against
Dzingel - Paul - Chiasson/Neil - switch Paul & Dzingel from time to time depending who they play against

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'd trade Smith for the best offer made at the draft. He's an average 4th liner with an unrepeatable shooting percentage. Cash in.

Do you keep Smith or Lazar in expansion? (considering Smith doesn't completely fall off the earth after this season)

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

Cash in on what? Smith has turned into a player that most teams want to be contributing. Big body, doesn't take crap and can chip in offensively when given the opportunity. This board has no idea how to evaluate players and their worth, worrying about shooting percentage as a means to trade a player is both bizarre and frankly a little dim.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Do you keep Smith or Lazar in expansion? (considering Smith doesn't completely fall off the earth after this season)
This needs to be asked? Lazar easily.
Cash in on what? Smith has turned into a player that most teams want to be contributing. Big body, doesn't take crap and can chip in offensively when given the opportunity. This board has no idea how to evaluate players and their worth, worrying about shooting percentage as a means to trade a player is both bizarre and frankly a little dim.

Cash in on Smith playing well above his actual ability and worth.

Using shooting percentage to evaluate a player is standard. Not bizarre. It happens every season. A consistently bottom 6 guy gets on a goal scoring streak(Abnormal shooting %, which returns to normal levels every time for every player) over 2-3 months, people think he's the real deal and then goes on to never repeating it.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
This needs to be asked? Lazar easily.

Cash in on Smith playing well above his actual ability and worth.

Using shooting percentage to evaluate a player is standard. Not bizarre. It happens every season. A consistently bottom 6 guy gets on a goal scoring streak(Abnormal shooting %, which returns to normal levels every time for every player) over 2-3 months, people think he's the real deal and then goes on to never repeating it.

It depends on what's offered. If the return has more long term rewards than i'm all for it, but I wouldn't go trading Smith for a 3rd round pick just because. Are Smiths number repeatable? Probably not. But it's not impossible.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I'd want atleast a 2nd for Smith. Having an experienced body is worth more than a 3rd, for sure.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

Smith was 27 at the start of the season. It is unlikely he will ever repeat, or even come close to repeating, what he has done this season in terms of goal scoring. As it stands he could be a commodity for teams looking to contend - he would not be out of place playing third line LW on a contender for the next couple of years. But that's not the Sens, they will not contend in the next couple of years without dramatic change (Sorry, but MacArthur is first line material? Not on a team challenging for the Stanley Cup!). So if Smith is going to be declining by the time the Sens can be expected to contend, and if there is a market for him, why not move him when his value will likely never be higher? If that's in a deal (as in part of a package) for a kid like Drouin then yes, move him. Hoffman, Drouin, MacArthur - those would be your top 3 LW, lines 1 to 3 respectively. If you can tell me in good conscience that Murray has a plan to turn this around in the next year or two - one that goes beyond "if nobody gets hurt and guys play to their potential" - then I'll drop out of the trade Smith movement (I'd also have to drop out of the Murray must go movement, but I think I'm pretty safe renewing my memberships to both).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'd want atleast a 2nd for Smith. Having an experienced body is worth more than a 3rd, for sure.

I'm not even sure I'd move him for a draft pick to be honest (I'm assuming GM's are sane enough to not give up a 1st). He fills a need on this team (LH Center, capable LWer). We don't have many of those guys at this point in time.

I'd probably move him for a defenceman, but I'm not sure if that type of deal is out there at this point (or if it will be in the summer).

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hell, let's do that with everyone.

Who needs a team of quality players when we can just collect a **** ton of draft picks and prospects? They might even become quality players one day!

That's freaking hilarious when you think of it, but the sad thing is that it really defines HF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad