Zack Kassian (UPD: 12/16: clears waivers, assigned to St. John's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm sure that the Habs will issue a press release soon about Kassian's immediate future. Until then, all bets are off.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Good, clearing waivers makes the story even better, I really hopes he gets the chance to turn his life around and play for the Habs and makes good on it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Remains to be seen if he gets sent to St John's or if they put him on unconditional waivers.

I hope he's given a shot to resume his career in the AHL

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Looks like he's been assigned to the AHL. Glad we're still giving him a chance.

Keep in mind the same happened with Semin and he was eventually bought out. Not to say Kassian would turn down the opportunity, but we don't know yet.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I'm happy he cleared. This guy needs a second chance.

Being taken would have meant a second chance. Clearing is bad
news for any hockey player. It means no-one wants you. Now I hope
the Habs give him a genuine chance to play his way back into the NHL.
But I guess we'll find out their intentions pretty soon.

OK, I was a little late. He's already been assign to the Caps. Now we can
just hope for the best.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
He can be such a good player and is a fan favorite wherever he plays. I really hope he can get himself together and contribute to this team at some point.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Keep in mind the same happened with Semin and he was eventually bought out. Not to say Kassian would turn down the opportunity, but we don't know yet.

True, but it was also reported at the same time that Semin's agent was looking for a fit in the KHL for him, so it did seem inevitable in his case.

I really can't see Kassian refusing the assignment. It would pretty much spell the end of his NHL career after 29 other teams just passed on taking him.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Looks like he's been assigned to the AHL. Glad we're still giving him a chance.

That proves nothing, like waivers.

The test will be once he is game shape in a month or so...

Do they want to give him a shot at regular ice time or do they waive him again or try and trade him even if another contract comes back(matching cap dumps).

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
This is pretty awesome news since now he can be in AHL for as long as Habs feel needed.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Semin was not bought out by Montreal, his contract was terminated. Semin is still getting paid by the Carolina Hurricanes and set up a deal with a KHL team. Kassian is not getting paid by another team and is unlikely to be looking for work in Europe. The situations are completely different.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
The interesting thing is, IceCaps ply tonight and then they're off for 10 days. Thats one hell of a test for him to see if he'll be able to keep his act together during that time. Maybe the timing isnt a coincidence

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
True, but it was also reported at the same time that Semin's agent was looking for a fit in the KHL for him, so it did seem inevitable in his case.

I really can't see Kassian refusing the assignment. It would pretty much spell the end of his NHL career after 29 other teams just passed on taking him.

There is a road back for this Guy as there was for others before him.
It very much depends on his understanding of his situation and his willingness to put in the hard work every day to overcome it.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I am all for giving him another chance. For me I just hope Kassian can fight the demons that have derailed his life to this point.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I also think it was pre-arranged with Semin that if things didn't work out, he would be waived with the goal of being bought out by Habs so he could go back to the KHL.

Good move by Habs to send Kassian down to the AHL, would of been poor form for them to have completely gotten rid of him after he completed his rehab

Up to him to prove he's redeemable though

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
If Kassian goes to the AHL then he will have a chance to rebuild his career. It's up to him and if he's serious about being a professional athlete then he will work hard. He has the tools and I'm sure if he gets his **** together and gets his game back, then he will get another chance in Montreal.

Of course this all depends on what happens next (whether he goes to St. John's).

duckwellboots

Nov 23, 2015
The interesting thing is, IceCaps ply tonight and then they're off for 10 days. Thats one hell of a test for him to see if he'll be able to keep his act together during that time. Maybe the timing isnt a coincidence

One would hope he could have a strong support system there with him. Whether that's a girlfriend/wife, mother/father, whomever. This isn't something he can do by himself; a support system is vital, wherever he finds himself.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
F

Not sure I like what MB is doing here...

If Kassian's sickness was a blood clot or a herniated disk, they'd give him time to heal and welcome him back.

His sickness is alcohol. He's done what is required to heal. A sickness is a sickness and MB might be a bit more compassionate.

I don't know about that. They had no problems waiving Bournival when he came back from his concussion, or Semin after poor play, I understand Kassian has issues, but I don't see why he should get favorable treatment because of it.

Besides, Habs really had no choice, but to waiver. He was not on their opening day 23 man roster, just like Bournival, which means someone would've had to be waived for him to come back to the team, likely one of Byron, Pateryn or Tinordi. On top of that neither Bournival or Kassian are in a position to help the team, so they take up a roster spot.

Bergevin made the best decision for all involved. Kassian needs to get it together and the best place to dso that is the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad