Zack Kassian II - The Ben Scrivens edition

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Bergevin is an idiot with huge double-standards. Kassian was treated like a low-life scum, and the worst piece of crap there is out there after partying. Meanwhile, we preach "patience and tolerance" with other players who do exactly the same. You know what? There is no coherence when you have double standards, and I hope Kassian has a great career as an Oiler. We just deserve it. The complacency in this organization is sickening.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
At least DSP never wrecked his SUV and ordered girls to take the blame, allegedly.

He still has that going for him.

How can you defend Kassian anymore?

How can he defend a sick person! Shame!!

Addiction is a disease.

Oct 22, 2012
Bergevin is an idiot with huge double-standards. Kassian was treated like a low-life scum, and the worst piece of crap there is out there after partying. Meanwhile, we preach "patience and tolerance" with other players who do exactly the same. You know what? There is no coherence when you have double standards, and I hope Kassian has a great career as an Oiler. We just deserve it. The complacency in this organization is sickening.

There was no other similar situation with regards to our team that comes close to the magnitude of Kassians situation. He wasn't treated like scum. He was checked into an appropriate support group to help him as a person, to battle his illness. If you're talking about the Galchenyuk situation, it's not the same. Not even close.

As for Kassian, he was given 1 chance. This wasn't his first rodeo, he knew it was his only chance and he blew it. Sorry if your standards are different from the team. This league requires so much hard work and dedication to even get a sniff at ice time, why continue to give chances to somebody who wasn't taking his job seriously at the time. It would be sending the wrong message to the players on this team and around the league.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
There was no other similar situation with regards to our team that comes close to the magnitude of Kassians situation. He wasn't treated like scum. He was checked into an appropriate support group to help him as a person, to battle his illness. If you're talking about the Galchenyuk situation, it's not the same. Not even close.

As for Kassian, he was given 1 chance. This wasn't his first rodeo, he knew it was his only chance and he blew it. Sorry if your standards are different from the team. This league requires so much hard work and dedication to even get a sniff at ice time, why continue to give chances to somebody who wasn't taking his job seriously at the time. It would be sending the wrong message to the players on this team and around the league.

Yeah, right. Tell me that next time Galchenyuk is seen partying at 8 am or that we hear drama about his ****ing family or about his former agent (who happens to know quite a bit about how a good player should behave to have success) who says he's not having a good attitude generally as a professional player... as if it was the first time we heard about him acting like a POS.

Keep disregarding the whole picture and how the guy has TONS of red flags. Let's hope he'll magically get it. It worked so great with Kostitsyn. :sarcasm:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Don't feel bad for 1 second. I feel worse for the fact Kassian **** up than anything else.

Habs HAD to cut him loose after his relapse. They gave him the opportunity and he completely dropped the ball.

How many opportunities is enough before you have to cut ties? Given their team concept of "character first," keeping him on would have sent the wrong message.

I wish Kassian the best and hope he does well but I don't blame Habs brass for a second.

It's very clear that many people have commented in this thread without ever having been an addict or dealt with someone who is an addict. The chances that an addict relapses is extremely high. The fact that Kassian was entered into stage 1 of the substance abuse program numerous times means that Bergevin was aware of this. If MB was not ready to deal with the fallout then he shouldn't have acquired Kassian in the first place.

A sign of true "character" is someone who lifts a man when he's down, not kick him to the curb during his time of weakness and his chips are down. Didn't your daddy ever teach you that?

On the very same day Bergevin was washing his hands of Kassian he came to bat for his coach. The man is nothing more than a hypocrite and a spineless weasel of the grandest scale. I've never hated management more in my entire life than I do now. I would take Rejean Houle over these clowns.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Yeah, right. Tell me that next time Galchenyuk is seen partying at 8 am or that we hear drama about his ****ing family or about his former agent (who happens to know quite a bit about how a good player should behave to have success) who says he's not having a good attitude generally as a professional player... as if it was the first time we heard about him acting like a POS.

Keep disregarding the whole picture and how the guy has TONS of red flags. Let's hope he'll magically get it. It worked so great with Kostitsyn. :sarcasm:

It's not the same situation. Galchenyuk was partying at his apartment, Kassian we know had to be driven home. Galchenyuk got a bloody nose and still was there to practice the next morning, whereas Kassian broke his foot and was on IR until the new year.

Further, suggesting that the two situations are not the same does not suggest that Galchenyuk lacks responsibility for the situation.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

How is Bergevin an idiot for acting like basically every other sports GM out there?

When a washed up RB like Ray Rice beats his wife he is cut and never plays again...when it's Peterson and he is still a top back, he gets a 2nd and would probably get a 3rd chance.

Same thing in hockey...Kassian is on his 3rd chance because he was a talented player and 1st rounder. If he cost Bergevin Beaulieu or Galchenyuk via trade he would be getting a second chance.

They are going to put up with A LOT more from Galchenyuk and Beaulieu than from Thomas and DSP...that's how pro sports work...

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Kassian didn't do anything wrong, he was responsible enough not to drive when he drank, no evidence that the ppl that were driving were drinking.

It was an accident and sadly had it not happened, Bergevin wouldn't have cared about Kassian out party.

Unless Kassian and Bergevin had an agreement that Kassian would not be out parting and drinking, it was simply an accident.

Really sucks that Kassian is exactly what the the habs need to add to this small soft team

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And that matters because, the first opportunity he took to go out and party he did and he screwed up royally.

To put the blame on anybody other then Kassian is completely wrong.

No it isn't...
I've said my piece on this whole affair in the out of town thread but it is quite simply this.
Until we are shown evidence that The Montreal Canadiens provided for or demanded of Kassian that a support structure of some kind be put in place to deal with his recidivist behaviour...
They are as much at fault as he is.

There is not one Corporation in North America today who would hire or keep on staff a known alcoholic or any other substance abuser without ensuring they are in a program, well supported, and well surrounded. Not once in any article was mention ever made of a support structure for Kassian.
MB must be very naive indeed if he thinks don't do it covers it in this case.
Wake up NHL and wake up Montreal Canadiens these are dark days not the dark ages.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It's very clear that many people have commented in this thread without ever having been an addict or dealt with someone who is an addict. The chances that an addict relapses is extremely high. The fact that Kassian was entered into stage 1 of the substance abuse program numerous times means that Bergevin was aware of this. If MB was not ready to deal with the fallout then he shouldn't have acquired Kassian in the first place.

A sign of true "character" is someone who lifts a man when he's down, not kick him to the curb during his time of weakness and his chips are down. Didn't your daddy ever teach you that?

On the very same day Bergevin was washing his hands of Kassian he came to bat for his coach. The man is nothing more than a hypocrite and a spineless weasel of the grandest scale. I've never hated management more in my entire life than I do now. I would take Rejean Houle over these clowns.

Just because people on this board haven't dealt with addiction doesn't make their opinion any less relevant. In fact I'd say people who have dealt with addiction problems are biased and going to be more sympathic and lose sight of what the actual issue is. That's the BUSINESS of hockey. It's not about making friends or helping your fellow man. It's about winning and making money by following a plan.

When Bergevin traded for Kassian who wore out his welcome with 2 other clubs before coming here, he was extremely clear that Zach was on a short leash. Kassian was a risk but the Canadiens hoped he turned a corner and could be a responsible and contributing member of the team. In return, Kassian gets loaded while in stage one of the leagues substance abuse program, puts himself a compromising position as well as in the spotlight and becomes a massive distraction, gets injured and takes himself out of the lineup before the season even starts! Bergevin is a monster for not giving him a 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th chance. I mean what would Jesus do, right?

Fact is, Kassian has had multiple chances in multiple environments and has shown he's not ready to be a professional hockey player. This has nothing to do with Begevin just as it has nothing to do with Jim Benning before him or any other GM. This is ALL on Kassian, period. These GM's are there to run a franchise and not babysit players to make sure their in bed by 11:00 and stay sober. Kassian is a grown man and if he can't get his addiction under control as so many have before him, that's on him and him alone. So lets not deflect and make this about the Habs, Canucks, Sabres etc and how they didn't do right by him and give him X number of chances. That's a cop out and I'm not having.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I've been in a dark road before and honestly I wish Kassian the best. I also don't think MB did the wrong thing. He did what he had to and I respect him for it.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Kassian hasnt played 1 minute of hockey and were already making judgements on Bergevin.

What the public knows and what the team knows are totally different. If MB had an indication that Kassian was salvagable, he does not trade him.

Maybe Kassian didnt wanna be here, you dont know.

I think MB is aware that our RW is putrid, he wouldnt have traded an asset because of some unspoken rule.

And Scrivens is something we needed ASAP. Everytime Tokarski was in, it was a gong show. Scrivens prescence has also helped Condon's game.

I wanted the Kassian thing to work so badly, but it didnt. The guy couldnt even make it into a regular season game without messing up.

He is to blame, no one else.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Kassian hasnt played 1 minute of hockey and were already making judgements on Bergevin.

What the public knows and what the team knows are totally different. If MB had an indication that Kassian was salvagable, he does not trade him.

I think MB is aware that our RW is putrid, he wouldnt have traded an asset because of some unspoken rule.

And Scrivens is something we needed ASAP. Everytime Tokarski was in, it was a gong show. Scrivens prescence has also helped Condon's game.

I wanted the Kassian thing to work so badly, but it didnt. The guy couldnt even make it into a regular season game without messing up.

Sure Kassian deserves blame, but why not try to work with him, it was his first mistake as a Habs, not like its his 2nd time screwing up.

In terms of you talking about what the Habs knew vs what the public knows, that's pretty much bs, its like me saying maybe the Habs know something we don't with what happened with Gally.

Bergevin didn't even give Kassian a chance to work his way up in the AHL, told him not to report, and by all the interviews I have seen with Kassian have seem to show that this guy is ready to put it all together...

In terms of Scrivens, the Oilers would have take a "future considerations" for him..

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Kassian didn't do anything wrong, he was responsible enough not to drive when he drank, no evidence that the ppl that were driving were drinking.

It was an accident and sadly had it not happened, Bergevin wouldn't have cared about Kassian out party.

Unless Kassian and Bergevin had an agreement that Kassian would not be out parting and drinking, it was simply an accident.

Really sucks that Kassian is exactly what the the habs need to add to this small soft team

We don't know the background on this. Kassian went to step 2 of the NHL substance abuse program, so obviously he had been in Step 1.

Maybe he promised MB he would stay out of the bars and parties.

In terms of MB, trading Kassian it's probably more for PR as it is for not having faith in the hockey player or him getting past the addiction.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

How does Bergevin have double standards?

If he told Kassian, upon acquiring him, that I'm willing to give you this opportunity, but I expect you to keep your nose clean and avoid alcohol so these issues don't become a problem, what is the double standard?

What Galchenyuk and Smith-Pelley did was (allegedly) have a party on their day off. What Kassian reportedly did was break a promise he had made to his General Manager before the season had even begun.

I'm not sue how you compare one to the other as they are totally different situation but calling Bergevin and idiot and accusing him of double standards is frankly bizarre.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007

I was sure that Kassian would never see time on the ice for the Habs after the accident. The problem was it involved two women so Kassian gets the ultimate blame no matter what. I hope he plays well and makes MB look like a fool for not given another chance. At worse if he played well he could of been used at trade deadline to bring back a pick since were not making the playoffs. The whole organization needs to be cleaned out. MB, MT, even Timmins. Too many first rounders are not making it so either Timmins picks are not that good or the support system in Montreal can't properly develop our youth.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Kassian with 1g 1a 3rd star tonight! :yo:

I always believed in you Kassian. Too bad our GM is a moron and traded you for a goaltender worse than Tokarsi lol

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
How is Bergevin an idiot for acting like basically every other sports GM out there?

When a washed up RB like Ray Rice beats his wife he is cut and never plays again...when it's Peterson and he is still a top back, he gets a 2nd and would probably get a 3rd chance.

Same thing in hockey...Kassian is on his 3rd chance because he was a talented player and 1st rounder. If he cost Bergevin Beaulieu or Galchenyuk via trade he would be getting a second chance.

They are going to put up with A LOT more from Galchenyuk and Beaulieu than from Thomas and DSP...that's how pro sports work...

Don't trivialize domestic violence please.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Kassian with 1g 1a 3rd star tonight! :yo:

I always believed in you Kassian. Too bad our GM is a moron and traded you for a goaltender worse than Tokarsi lol

I'm happy for him. May he become a 30 goals scorer to stick it to dumb egocentric Bergevin.

MB's ego cost us Kassian and Tinordi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad