Zack Kassian II - The Ben Scrivens edition

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Listen, when I was 23, I was making far worse mistakes than he did - I turned it around after a pretty solid wake-up call and I think he deserves the chance to prove he has too.

Good on you for getting your life back in order.

How many times did you **** up and chances did you have before it finally clicked? Maybe not much but for most people it takes many many screw ups before they get their act together. Habs gave him their chance and he blew it. Doesn't mean they have to keep giving them.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
In looking at Kassian's junior and AHL numbers, expecting him to be a big contributor to offense is a stretch. Weise had better numbers and was more consistent.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Don't feel bad for 1 second. I feel worse for the fact Kassian **** up than anything else.

Habs HAD to cut him loose after his relapse. They gave him the opportunity and he completely dropped the ball.

How many opportunities is enough before you have to cut ties? Given their team concept of "character first," keeping him on would have sent the wrong message.

I wish Kassian the best and hope he does well but I don't blame Habs brass for a second.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I hope he lights it up in Edmonton
#stupidmanagement #egos

Bergevin was on record as saying that he informed Kassian, upon acquiring him, that he was taking a chance.

I of course, would of liked if they would of been able to give him 'another' chance. But I respect Bergevin for sticking to his word.

The fact Kassian didn't work in MTL wasn't because of Bergevin...it was only because of Kassian,

if he finds himself in EDM, good for him...but not sure how you could blame Bergevin for that.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Bergevin was on record as saying that he informed Kassian, upon acquiring him, that he was taking a chance.

I of course, would of liked if they would of been able to give him 'another' chance. But I respect Bergevin for sticking to his word.

The fact Kassian didn't work in MTL wasn't because of Bergevin...it was only because of Kassian,

if he finds himself in EDM, good for him...but not sure how you could blame Bergevin for that.

Exactly, that's just a concept most people don't understand.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Honestly, this whole anti management crusade on HF is getting old.

Kassian had problems on 2 teams. He came here and MB told him last chance and he better behave or he's done here.

Kassian agrees, leaves MBs office and not long after is involved in a dangerous scenario all while breaking his foot and putting him on IR.

Kassian didn't even last until game 1 of the season. That's saying something, he didn't make it to game 1, wow.

Habs put him in substance abuse for his own good and trade him after.

Now some feel MB should've kept him. What a way to lose credibility! The guy reached his 3rd strike and MB was supposed to lick his boots? C'mon. People need a reality check.

That being said, happy Kassian got called up. I hope he makes full recovery from his addiction and plays very well in the years to come.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I would have seen how he responded after the rehab. Maybe Bergevin did and didn't like what he saw. Maybe history will demonstrate that Bergevin did the right thing. I hope not for Kassian's sake, but we may know in the future.

Ideally it would have been great to have Kassian come back and help our team, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors. Bergevin was chosen for a reason. I hope he made the right decision.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah heaven forbid someone who's professional career has been defined by his struggle with addiction be open about it in an interview. Smart comment.

Yeah, overly extrapolate from a comment that wasn't meant in the manner you're portraying, now that's a smart comment.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
So Zach has one goal in four AHL games and he deserves a call-up, and some are hoping he lights it up? Unlikely.

Figaro95*

I hope he plays really well!

Wonder how his speed looks? He's definitely lost some weight from his AHL interviews.

Figaro95*

Yeah, because Thomas and Kassian are clearly the answer to those depth problem lol. Stupid management

Take away the pink elephant in the room with Kassian, but he would definitely help our team right now. Since Prust has left we've lacked that playing big mentality, and Kassian would of at least addressed that + give us a spark. This team hasn't played this poorly and soft since 12'.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Man hearing how excited Kassian is to play on thursday one can't help but feel happy for the guy. For our sakes let's hope he doesn't become the player we thought he would be when MB acquired him.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...lers-add-tough-guy-zack-kassian-to-the-roster

“I’m excited to be back in the NHL. It almost slipped away so I’m happy to get another chance,†he said.

“I had no expectations as to when I’d get called up. I went down to Bakersfield, got into some practices, into some games.I just wanted to get my feet under me and work hard every day. That’s what I did.â€

“We’re a team looking for answers right now,†said Gazdic. “He brings an element of grit and character I think our team needs right now.â€

“We anticipated him getting five, six games in before he came up but he’s played well. He’s practised well,†McLellan said. “He’s got NHL experience in all of these buildings. He played in the Western Conference a lot, he understands his opponent, he’s mature, he’s played in the league enough to know what to expect and he’s in tremendous condition.

“Is his timing and wareness level elite yet? He’s got to play to get that.â€

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I wish him the best. I hope he gets it together. But he was traded away for a good reason. If he gets it together, which is unlikely, let's not blame MB for doing the right move.

He could produce if he's paired with McJesus.

Let's not act like we lost a good player.

Last edited:

centrehice

Apr 26, 2007
Given the slump, and lack of depth on RW, we should have kept Kassian to see if the program had changed him at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad