Confirmed with Link: Zacha signs ELC with Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Zacha is a good prospect, no doubt about it. Guys like Kyle Connor, Rantanen and Barzal makes him look like a bad pick at 6th overall, though.

Definitely how I feel. I want nothing but good things for Zacha, but I think there were better options at #6. Time will tell, I guess.

What I like about Zacha is that, even if he's struggling a little relative to his peers right now, he's the kind of guy whose ceiling will always be sky high. You simply don't find prospects with his size, speed, hands, shooting ability, and commitment to responsible play every day, or even every year. He might never fully put it together, but I won't fault anyone for seeing something special in him.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Every draft pick has questions.

Yes, like Drouin.

But, IMO you don't draft a "project" at 6th and hope he puts it together.

I'm not saying that's what he is nor the Devils thought that.

I disagree with the hockey fan poster who for some reason thinks that.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Thanks Brodeur, that post was fascinating to read.

On a completely unrelated note, I processed an order for a guy named "Adrian Foster" at work last week and nearly fell out of my chair when I read the customer info. Apparently I made a face and one of the guys asked me what the deal was. I told him "this guy was a better junior prospect than Dany Heatley!" and my buddy just kind of looked at me funny. I don't know if it was even the same Adrian Foster or not.

Talk about a blast from the past. But yeah, pretty funny how things change with the benefit of hindsight.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
You guys need to calm down with zacha. This is only his second year playing in North America! He potted 2 assists today in sarnia win. He isn't doing horrible and he isn't killing the league. It is all about development, unless you want him to be like half the Oilers squad, keep calm and make him develop into a top 6 sniper.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Zacha is the best goal scorer among his peers on numbers alone.

He can't make his teammates pot his set ups. This has been said from day one. Sarnia had a really slow start offensively.

Kid isn't a project. He has all the skills and tools. He is going to be an excellent player for us.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Zacha is a good prospect, no doubt about it. Guys like Kyle Connor, Rantanen and Barzal makes him look like a bad pick at 6th overall, though.

I don't get how anyone can say this with any certainty when all the guys you mentioned are playing in different leagues, and none of them have scored an NHL point yet. It's near impossible to compare someone's development in the WHL to someone in the OHL to someone in the AHL and someone in college. The only people that say Zacha's clearly a step below those guys are probably ones that weren't high on him in the first place.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Definitely how I feel. I want nothing but good things for Zacha, but I think there were better options at #6. Time will tell, I guess.

What I like about Zacha is that, even if he's struggling a little relative to his peers right now, he's the kind of guy whose ceiling will always be sky high. You simply don't find prospects with his size, speed, hands, shooting ability, and commitment to responsible play every day, or even every year. He might never fully put it together, but I won't fault anyone for seeing something special in him.

Right, Kyle Connor, the kid who didn't even make the U.S. World Juniors team.

For the record, I like Connor, but not as much as Zacha. Before the draft, my rankings for the guys you mentioned were:

1. Zacha
2. Connor
3. Barzal
4. Rantanen

Give it time, Zacha's game will translate better than any of the four.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He can't make his teammates pot his set ups. This has been said from day one. Sarnia had a really slow start offensively.

They just scored 11 goals. How is this narrative still kicking?

He had a 10-15 game stretch where he was fantastic. Outside of that, he's been lukewarm for a top-10 pick. I'm not necessarily worried yet, but he's definitely a project and hardly a "can't miss" guy.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
People see a polished impact hockey player in Konecny who's always around the puck and gives 100% effort.
High motor.

Konecny is very good and he dropped too low IMO.

He can be an excellent pro for sure but the concern I would have with him is that his physical style, somewhat reckless in nature, may lead him to be injury prone and slow him down.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
One of the most important determining factors for any forward prospect is how much of his production will translate to the next level. Some guys make the NHL and lose half their PPG rate in the process, sometimes more. Other guys score at close to the same pace in the NHL as in Juniors. Projecting the difference is something that takes years of experience and understanding of the differences between the NHL and Junior leagues. Most scouts still consider Zacha a great prospect, and the argument has always been that more of his production will translate based on the way he plays. I say wait and see how he does when he actually plays in the NHL.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
One of the most important determining factors for any forward prospect is how much of his production will translate to the next level. Some guys make the NHL and lose half their PPG rate in the process, sometimes more. Other guys score at close to the same pace in the NHL as in Juniors. Projecting the difference is something that takes years of experience and understanding of the differences between the NHL and Junior leagues. Most scouts still consider Zacha a great prospect, and the argument has always been that more of his production will translate based on the way he plays. I say wait and see how he does when he actually plays in the NHL.

From what is seen watching Zacha internationally, some Sarnia games, countless highlights and in camp scrimmages, his style of play lends itself to translating well.

His shot is NHL, his size is NHL, his physicality is NHL, his speed/skating is NHL. Lots of criticism comes from is hockey IQ but all the times I've seen him he makes smart plays and understands where he needs to be. I don't think he's an elite set-up guy and is probably a future winger and not a center.

If he can score 35 goals and get 25 assists and be a solid power forward, that's first line, great production. That's kind of what I expect from him. As a center in Sarnia, he isn't afforded the opportunity to be set up by an elite guy like others are. I don't think that's his position and won't shine there.

He's an Oveckin style player, not afraid to get in the dirty areas and be physical but has heck of a shot and could be a force in the power play like Kovy was here and Ovechkin is in Washington.

He's not going to put up a million points in junior because that's not really his game, he's not flashy and won't make dazzling passes. He's smart but isn't going to have 5 assists a game like Barzal.

Overall: I'm still really excited about him and don't think his production is concerning at all. He has the tools and I think he's going to be a huge piece in New Jersey as our 1LW.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
From what is seen watching Zacha internationally, some Sarnia games, countless highlights and in camp scrimmages, his style of play lends itself to translating well.

His shot is NHL, his size is NHL, his physicality is NHL, his speed/skating is NHL. Lots of criticism comes from is hockey IQ but all the times I've seen him he makes smart plays and understands where he needs to be. I don't think he's an elite set-up guy and is probably a future winger and not a center.

If he can score 35 goals and get 25 assists and be a solid power forward, that's first line, great production. That's kind of what I expect from him. As a center in Sarnia, he isn't afforded the opportunity to be set up by an elite guy like others are. I don't think that's his position and won't shine there.

He's an Oveckin style player, not afraid to get in the dirty areas and be physical but has heck of a shot and could be a force in the power play like Kovy was here and Ovechkin is in Washington.

He's not going to put up a million points in junior because that's not really his game, he's not flashy and won't make dazzling passes. He's smart but isn't going to have 5 assists a game like Barzal.

Overall: I'm still really excited about him and don't think his production is concerning at all. He has the tools and I think he's going to be a huge piece in New Jersey as our 1LW.

I was hoping he could stick at C but if he becomes a 35g 1LW I'll be ecstatic. Shero has to get a playmaker for him. Could McLeod do the job?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Those freaking out that Zacha isn't quite putting up video game numbers should take a look at Ryan Getzlaf's numbers in junior.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Yes, like Drouin.

But, IMO you don't draft a "project" at 6th and hope he puts it together.

I'm not saying that's what he is nor the Devils thought that.

I disagree with the hockey fan poster who for some reason thinks that.

Almost every prospect is a project. Very few are finished products who can just keep doing what they're doing and star in the NHL.

For the 2015 Draft, most people believed there was a pretty big drop-off after Hanifin in terms of the "can't miss" level of the draft. It's why there were calls for the Devils to trade the pick. Without trading up, there was very little chance that the Devils were coming out with a can't miss guy at #6.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Jamie Benn scored at 1.27 PPG in his draft +1 year (1st year in CHL). Last year he scored at 1.06 PPG. That's an 83.4% rate of translation.

Adam Henrique scored at .67 PPG in his draft year. Last year he scored at .57 PPG. That's an 85% translation rate.

If Zacha finished the year at 1.2 PPG and had an 80% translation rate, we'd be looking at a 78 pt player, which is 1st line material. Granted, there's no guarantee he'll translate that well, but my point is that translation rate of point production is huge, and Zacha has consistently been labeled as a player who is likely to translate well. We'll see.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I personally wanted Rantanen, but that's in the past. There is no sense comparing these guys until all of them have played a couple years in the NHL. That's when we'll know who was the right pick or not. Zacha could be doing better, but he could also be doing worse. I'll worry about him when we see how he does at the NHL level.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Those freaking out that Zacha isn't quite putting up video game numbers should take a look at Ryan Getzlaf's numbers in junior.

Have YOU looked at Getzlaf's numbers in junior? He had a mediocre draft year and then destroyed his draft+1 year. Zacha's gone from "men" to "ok." Progress is progress, but I don't understand how the opinion of "Zacha might not have been the best pick at #6 and other prospects from the same year are having better seasons so far" is akin to "freaking out."

And Getzlaf went 19th overall, not top-10, so clearly it wasn't just some crazy HF posters who had reservations on him.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Have YOU looked at Getzlaf's numbers in junior? He had a mediocre draft year and then destroyed his draft+1 year. Zacha's gone from "men" to "ok." Progress is progress, but I don't understand how the opinion of "Zacha might not have been the best pick at #6 and other prospects from the same year are having better seasons so far" is akin to "freaking out."

And Getzlaf went 19th overall, not top-10, so clearly it wasn't just some crazy HF posters who had reservations on him.

When the "other prospects from the same year" people are comparing him to were picked 3rd and 4th overall, it kinda undermines the argument, though. When people compare Zacha to Rantanen or Connor there's an argument. When they compare him to Marner or Strome, not so much.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't get how anyone can say this with any certainty when all the guys you mentioned are playing in different leagues, and none of them have scored an NHL point yet. It's near impossible to compare someone's development in the WHL to someone in the OHL to someone in the AHL and someone in college. The only people that say Zacha's clearly a step below those guys are probably ones that weren't high on him in the first place.

Agreed. Hard to compare AHL, OHL, and college here.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If there are any questions about Zacha's offense, it might be best to leave him in junior next year.

Many people have penned him in to the NHL team next year, but there's no reason to rush him.

Give him his 10 games and if he needs to improve, send him back to the O.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Jamie Benn scored at 1.27 PPG in his draft +1 year (1st year in CHL). Last year he scored at 1.06 PPG. That's an 83.4% rate of translation.

Adam Henrique scored at .67 PPG in his draft year. Last year he scored at .57 PPG. That's an 85% translation rate.

If Zacha finished the year at 1.2 PPG and had an 80% translation rate, we'd be looking at a 78 pt player, which is 1st line material. Granted, there's no guarantee he'll translate that well, but my point is that translation rate of point production is huge, and Zacha has consistently been labeled as a player who is likely to translate well. We'll see.

Good attempt to make a positive point I suppose but this sample size is so small that I can't take consider it relevant in any way. Can't imagine this would be a typical rate.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can we change this into a Zacha discussion thread without the misleading "Confirmed with Link:" tag.

I was fooled by it a lot when it was first bumped, now I'm used to it somehow.:laugh:

The first time it was bumped after a while, I was like ''Didn't we already sign Zacha though?''. Then I started thinking it was for other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad