Confirmed with Link: Zacha signs ELC with Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Seattle's top goal scorers have 27 and 25 respectively, Sarnia's top goal scorer has 23 (Zacha). Barzal is setting up players who can finish, Zacha is the best finisher on his team.

I'm not the one introducing variance - I was simply comparing % of goals scored. The fact remains that Zacha scores a very high percentage of his team's goals. Is there some problem with me pointing it out? Would you rather just ***** and moan above how none of our prospects are Connor McDavid? :shakehead

The bolded could easily be flipped by saying Barzal is propping up their goal totals because he sees the play better and sets them up more consistently.

I was just objecting to using goals as the sole comparison when you include a pure playmaker.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The bolded could easily be flipped by saying Barzal is propping up their goal totals because he sees the play better and sets them up more consistently.

I was just objecting to using goals as the sole comparison when you include a pure playmaker.

And that same argument could also say that if Zacha had a better playmaker he would have more goals. Works both ways.

The idea of the playmaker that can notably improve the stats of average wings is also largely a myth. The playmakers who could do that in the NHL are a very elite group. We're talking guys like Kurri, Yzerman, Larionov, Francis, and a few others. Most playmakers in the NHL are more dependent on their wings than the other way around - guys like Zajac.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Small skilled guys like Barzal or Konecny have a much smaller chance of actually being NHL players than a guy like Zacha. Their offensive ceiling is higher if they hit it, but chances of that aren't high. While Zacha doesn't have the same ceiling, with his physical tools he's going to be an NHLer. His biggest question mark is where he eventually lands in the depth chart. Like it or not, those physical tools played a lot into him being ranked so high because he's as close to a sure thing for an NHL player as you could hope for at that draft spot.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I wanted Barzal as badly as anyone, but I don't think comparing him with Zacha is exactly fair. They're two completely different types of players. Rantanen would be the best comparable going forward in my opinion, and Rantanen did nothing of note in the NHL while having a good year in the AHL though he's a few months older than Zacha.

Zacha is playing on a terrible team where he was the lone offensive star (may be why he relied on himself too much) until Konecny arrived and he's playing at a solid PPG clip. I'm not going to fault anyone who questions whether it will work out or not, but I don't think it's fair to say he's not performing to expectations. He's meeting my expectations at the very least.

Zacha actually had a higher PPG before Konecny arrived. He had 30 points in 23 games before the trade and 17 points in 16 games since.

From what I understand Zacha lit it up when him and Konecny were briefly paired together, but since then they've been split up and Zacha seems to have slowed a bit.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The real question with Zacha is if he can develop the creative/hockey sense side of his game once he hits the pros. That will determine whether he's Ryan Johansen/Rick Nash or Chad Kilger. Or maybe somewhere in between like Milan Michalek.

Or maybe he stays another year in Jr's? I know for such a high pick staying 2 years post draft is not the norm, but if we think there is more room for development, why rush it?

We talk about the Detroit model of keeping that bun in the oven, well would this not be a prime oppurtunity?

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Detroit was able to do that because they always had a good team, im all for not rushing players but with our struggles on offense if Zacha shows enough at camp he'll be on the team no question.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Detroit also tends to draft lower where prospects would probably need more seasoning. They were pretty quick about integrating Larkin into their lineup because he was good enough to contribute and they needed him this season.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Detroit also tends to draft lower where prospects would probably need more seasoning. They were pretty quick about integrating Larkin into their lineup because he was good enough to contribute and they needed him this season.

If the 2014 draft was re-done today, Larkin would be a top-3 pick.

Ekblad, Larkin, Draisaitl.

Detroit amateur scouts are the best in the league and have been for quite some time.

Certain teams have good eyes for different aspects of the game.
Ex: Philly scouts are very good at finding skilled players (Giroux, Gostibehere), Devils have been good at finding defensemen (Greene, Sevs, hopefully Santini).

But Detroit is right more often than wrong especially with Euro players but they nailed it with Larkin and also with Mrazek.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If the 2014 draft was re-done today, Larkin would be a top-3 pick.

Ekblad, Larkin, Draisaitl.

Detroit amateur scouts are the best in the league and have been for quite some time.

Certain teams have good eyes for different aspects of the game.
Ex: Philly scouts are very good at finding skilled players (Giroux, Gostibehere), Devils have been good at finding defensemen (Greene, Sevs, hopefully Santini).

But Detroit is right more often than wrong especially with Euro players but they nailed it with Larkin and also with Mrazek.

Detroit's scouts are definitely excellent. If you look at how much of their lineup comes from latter rounds, it's pretty amazing what they are able to do, and it's really a huge reason why they've managed to be competitive for so long.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Or maybe he stays another year in Jr's? I know for such a high pick staying 2 years post draft is not the norm, but if we think there is more room for development, why rush it?

We talk about the Detroit model of keeping that bun in the oven, well would this not be a prime oppurtunity?

As much as I'm all for being careful with our prospects, this entire board pretty much said this exact same thing about Blandisi this entire fall. It comes down to the individual more than anything. If Zacha has the tool and head to make it, another year in junior won't do anything one way or the other.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
As much as I'm all for being careful with our prospects, this entire board pretty much said this exact same thing about Blandisi this entire fall. It comes down to the individual more than anything. If Zacha has the tool and head to make it, another year in junior won't do anything one way or the other.

True, but Blandisi did play as a 20 yr old in Juniors, and in that year produced at about 1.8 ppg. I know there were other factors involved, but he did stay in Juniors longer, and he did put up BIG #'s in that overage year.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
He can only play in juniors, the NHL, or Europe, and the team has all the power in that decision.

does the team really decide whether or not he goes to europe or stays in juniors? Even so, maybe he's saying that because the team has told him he will play in Europe if he doesn't make the NHL?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
on the topic of drafting, yes we did have good history in drafting defensemen. anyone know anything about our new head of scouting, paul castron, and his reputation? was wondering if anyone gave it a thought what his tendencies might be

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
on the topic of drafting, yes we did have good history in drafting defensemen. anyone know anything about our new head of scouting, paul castron, and his reputation? was wondering if anyone gave it a thought what his tendencies might be

Here's the Blue Jackets draft history, I believe he joined them in 2006. A lot better results in the draft than we've been getting. Seems like a failure by their GM to fill out the rest of the roster because they have developed some nice talent but a lot of it has been traded.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005316.html

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Here's the Blue Jackets draft history, I believe he joined them in 2006. A lot better results in the draft than we've been getting. Seems like a failure by their GM to fill out the rest of the roster because they have developed some nice talent but a lot of it has been traded.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005316.html

From the Blue Jackets' site

Paul Castron was named the Columbus Blue Jackets' director of amateur scouting on July 21, 2006 and his responsibilities include overseeing all amateur scouting efforts by the club in North America and Europe. He served as the club's director of player development from 2002-06, managing the development of Blue Jackets players and draft picks competing at the junior hockey and collegiate levels as well as progress of any personnel performing in Europe. He was also actively involved in the development process within the club's minor professional affiliate system.

Castron joined the Blue Jackets as an amateur scout in 1999 after spending eight years as a member of the Ottawa Senators scouting staff. He brought invaluable experience in the building and development of an expansion franchise as his tenure with Ottawa included the acquisition of several players who have become NHL standouts, including Alexei Yashin, Marian Hossa and Daniel Alfredsson.

Gare Joyce wrote an interesting book where he got to be a pseudo-scout for the Blue Jackets in 2006 and 2007. So there was a decent amount of behind the scenes stuff there.

Just off the top of my head:

2006 - Blue Jackets had the #6 pick. They figured they were getting one of Kessel/Backstrom/Brassard with Johnson/Toews/J.Staal likely being off the board. They were high on Brassard; Another team scout Sam McMaster boasted that he had Brassard #2 on his list (in a related note, McMaster almost singlehandedly destroyed the Kings in the early-mid 90s which more or less led me to become a Devils fan).

Backstrom interviewed with them, but didn't seem particularly interested (as he probably had a good idea Washington was taking him at #4). Kessel had a difficult interview. They were holding their breath with Boston's pick at #5. If Boston had taken Brassard, Columbus would have reluctantly taken Kessel.

As the draft went on, Joyce also mentions where a handful of guys were on Columbus' list. I believe they had Claude Giroux at #11 which was much higher than the public rankings. He also mentions that Columbus had a 'do not draft' on David Fischer who ended up going #20 to Montreal. Joyce didn't elaborate on the reason, but mentions that he heard a couple other teams also red flagged Fischer.

Second round pick (#36) comes around and there's not anybody they really like. So the scouts give the thumbs up to a trade down with San Jose which nets them #85, #113, and a 2007 2nd rounder.

At #69, GM Doug MacLean pulls an audible and drafts Steve Mason on the advice of their goalie coach. Joyce mentions that at the meetings he was able to attend, that they did not talk about goalies at all. Mason played sparingly that year.

At #85, they took Tom Sestito whose biggest fan at the draft table was Sam McMaster. Did I mention how McMaster earned the nickname McDisaster back in the day?

Don't remember much about the other guys. They used a 7th rounder on Derek Dorsett who was a junior teammate with Kris Russell. CBJ drafted Russell in the third round the previous year. Portion of the book devotes a chapter on them keeping tabs on Russell after having drafted him.

2007: If I recall correctly, this was really Castron's first year in charge. Doug MacLean got fired and Scott Howson was brought in just before the Draft which was in Columbus.

Columbus was picking 7th and felt like they were in a tough spot. As they described it, there was a top tier of six (Kane/Turris/van Riemsdyk/Voracek/Alzner/Gagner). On talent, they thought Cherepanov (RIP) was part of that group but they didn't feel like gambling on him.

If the top 6 went as expected, Columbus was entertaining the idea of trading down. The two names they were targeting in that case were McDonagh and Shattenkirk.

They lucked out as the Kings went off the board with Thomas Hickey at #4. They further lucked out when Edmonton took Gagner at #6 which left Voracek for them at #7.

Joyce described it as something of a prayer answered that LA went off the board. It's funny in hindsight since Joyce said it was similar to Montreal going off the board for Carey Price in 2005 which left Gilbert Brule to Columbus (the book was published circa 2008).

As for Castron, he lives in Michigan so he's a relatively close drive to the USNTDP. I want to say that in the book that he covered the Michigan/Ontario area for the team.

The book is interesting though in that it gives a glimpse to how an amateur scouting meeting goes. There's a lot of differing opinions. As much as we like to heap praise/blame on one scout for a pick, it really is a group effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad