Confirmed with Link: Zach Sill re-signs with Pittsburgh (1 Year/$550k/ 2-Way Deal)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Awesome. Love Siller. It's going to be harder to crack the lineup with all the new bottom sixers though. Although hopefully coach Johnston holds the likes of Adams more accountable than Bylsma ever did. Sill deserved to be in there over Adams last year for sure.

I think alot these cheap signings were made with the understanding they'd be able to challenge for bigger roles. Tocchet has stated as much with Downie being someone who can play with Sid. JR said he's top 9 for sure.

Goc can certainly center the third line. Comeau was a former 24 goal scorer who could challenge for a 3rd line spot if he finds consistency. And it was mentioned that Greiss signed here thinking he'd be challenging Fleury for starts.

I could see Sill finding his way onto the 4th line especially if we make a trade and our signings pan out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've been a big Sill fan for awhile.

He always finds ways to help his team. He has a playoff MVP and Best Defensive fwd awards under his belt.

He could be a gritty fourth line pivot for this team if need be. Won't score a lot, but he will piss people off and light them up.

Nor sure if he fits into the plans for the big club, but he should provide a nice call up addition when injuries hit the bottom six.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I'm happy that he is back! He will be our 13th forward or first call up from WBS (but I hope we'll waive Adams before Sill), I can see him as a stable 4th liner down the road.

Michael8771*

I'm not a big Sill fan, but if he somehow supplants Adams then I'm all for it.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Nice. Hopefully he makes the most of any opportunity he gets and sticks with the big club.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but he seemed pretty solid defensively. Him with Goc gives you two good faceoff guys and is the start of a fourth line that can actually be played like a shutdown line, unlike last years pseudo one. I still wish we could find a way for Goc to be more involved, I really liked his game last year and think he needs and can handle more ice time. Hopefully Sill being on the roster as a second 4C allows Goc to move up to the third line on occasion in place of Spalling or Downie for occasional shifts.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I still wish we could find a way for Goc to be more involved, I really liked his game last year and think he needs and can handle more ice time. Hopefully Sill being on the roster as a second 4C allows Goc to move up to the third line on occasion in place of Spalling or Downie for occasional shifts.

I'm not worried about that. We're the Penguins, everyone will get injured all the time. If he stays somewhat healthy, he'll see plenty of ice time.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but he seemed pretty solid defensively. Him with Goc gives you two good faceoff guys and is the start of a fourth line that can actually be played like a shutdown line, unlike last years pseudo one. I still wish we could find a way for Goc to be more involved, I really liked his game last year and think he needs and can handle more ice time. Hopefully Sill being on the roster as a second 4C allows Goc to move up to the third line on occasion in place of Spalling or Downie for occasional shifts.

I like Sill and all, but 37.8% on 90 faceoffs taken is not good. Is there a way to find AHL faceoff stats?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Sill was good in the AHL, I don't know what his faceoff percentage was.

In one of the preseason games last season, he won 9 out of 11 faceoffs.

I remember he was well above 50% in the AHL. Maybe it's not translating to the NHL as well, but he's definitely better than the 30-some% he was last season.

jk46

Jul 4, 2014
You gotta love siller. You cant watch that clip and not think this is a dude id love to have on my team. Id love to see him run adams. The faceoff % will come more he plays. Its an artform at this level.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Sill is Adams-level bad. At least he's still got his legs, is a troll and fights though.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Sill is Adams-level bad. At least he's still got his legs, is a troll and fights though.

unacceptable.gif

Yeah, no. Close... but no.

I don't even know where to begin. Maybe EA NHL Stats?

Shooting - 4 categories

about the same for all

Skating - 5 categories

better in all

Puck Skills - 4 categories

about the same

Physical - 5 categories

better in all

Senses - 3 categories

how could it get worse?

Defense - 4 categories

slightly, slightly better

Of course, NHL EA Stats are not the be all end all. However, watching Sill and then watching Adams you could definitely quantify Sill being a better virtual player than Adams.

Sill is the obvious better skater and physical player of the two.

This is, by far, the lamest evidence I could come up with.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sill seems like he gets under the other team's skin more than Adams ever did too. And where Adams hit to wear down over time, Sill hits to disrupt the game right then and there.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Sill is just as much an offensive black hole as Adams, but he's faster, hits harder, fights, and agitates, so he's a legitimate upgrade over Adams.

Just like last year, I wouldn't mind if it was just Adams or Glass on the bottom line, but both together are a problem. If Adams and Sill are on the bottom line then that's bad. Only one is needed, and Sill is the better of the two.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Sill is just as much an offensive black hole as Adams, but he's faster, hits harder, fights, and agitates, so he's a legitimate upgrade over Adams.

Just like last year, I wouldn't mind if it was just Adams or Glass on the bottom line, but both together are a problem. If Adams and Sill are on the bottom line then that's bad. Only one is needed, and Sill is the better of the two.

Spot on with that analysis, imo. I agree.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If nothing else, Sill is a useful role player, and I like the message that a guy who has been an absolute trooper and has done everything he has been asked to do gets a contract.
Same way Vitale should have gotten one,if another team didn't already price him away.

On Vitale.... Maybe he didn't want to... but that is the kind if guy you try to give a two year, one way, 800k deal before he gets to UFA. Both to retain him, and because on such terms he'd always be a nice sweetener in a deal. Same will hold for Sill if he gets to play this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad