Player Discussion Zach Sanford - LW

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Sanford initially reminded me a bit of Chiasson, who was meh in his time here. What I really like about Sanford's current form is him taking full advantage of the increased ice time and touches in a depleted line-up. It's really good to see that he can finish his checks (and take them), causing turnovers, and score goals.
if he's actually checking someone, and taking a check, without falling down and making snow angels, that's progress. weakest player on skates Ive ever seen.
was really hoping him goin to OTT would help him take the next step. he's got a fresh start on a team that could really use a 'good' sanford... but.. he prolly is what he is at this point

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
if he's actually checking someone, and taking a check, without falling down and making snow angels, that's progress. weakest player on skates Ive ever seen.
was really hoping him goin to OTT would help him take the next step. he's got a fresh start on a team that could really use a 'good' sanford... but.. he prolly is what he is at this point

Hence he looked like Chiasson initially, but in the past 5 games Hurricane Sanford has looked better with increased role. He is finishing checks and taking away pucks. He scored a hattrick when the "regulars" got back from COVID. As mentioned by others, he was streaky during his time at St. Louis. Meaning he is inconsistent, but does have some finish. Something this young, defensively challenged team can always use.

Tyler Ennis is all balls in the air like he just don't care, but he doesn't move anybody's hair unfortunately. Sanford is more productive despite his style of play. Currently.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Hence he looked like Chiasson initially, but in the past 5 games Hurricane Sanford has looked better with increased role. He is finishing checks and taking away pucks. He scored a hattrick when the "regulars" got back from COVID. As mentioned by others, he was streaky during his time at St. Louis. Meaning he is inconsistent, but does have some finish. Something this young, defensively challenged team can always use.

Tyler Ennis is all balls in the air like he just don't care, but he doesn't move anybody's hair unfortunately. Sanford is more productive despite his style of play. Currently.
good to hear.. and like I said, I HOPE he can turn the page and be more consistent.. just.. he never has, and was given TONS of chances in STL

maybe he WILL play more consistent and good... or maybe in 2 weeks you'll be scratching your head wondering where THAT guy went

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
good to hear.. and like I said, I HOPE he can turn the page and be more consistent.. just.. he never has, and was given TONS of chances in STL

maybe he WILL play more consistent and good... or maybe in 2 weeks you'll be scratching your head wondering where THAT guy went

Nice Bullwinkle & Rocky avatar. Sanford is a UFA & I expect if he keeps scoring that his value could go up by the trade deadline which would help Ottawa. He's certainly not the fastest skater that's for sure.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
problem is, he's a passenger. he HAS to play with someone REALLY good to be productive. put him in your bottom 6 and he disappears

Players that produce on a bottom 2 line like a havlat or to a lesser extent, Fisher or pageau, also cost a lot more than Sanford.

As do players that are regular top 6.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
All I can say that hes been a lot better than Nick Paul, Connor Brown and Chris Tierney this season.

Reactions: gab6511

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Nice Bullwinkle & Rocky avatar. Sanford is a UFA & I expect if he keeps scoring that his value could go up by the trade deadline which would help Ottawa. He's certainly not the fastest skater that's for sure.
you would think so, right?!?! but with Sanford.. I dunno.. very frustrating player. def has skill to play 2nd line but...

regardless, he'll go on a tear for a bit then right back to being invisible, or worse.. bad (turnovers..etc)

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Players that produce on a bottom 2 line like a havlat or to a lesser extent, Fisher or pageau, also cost a lot more than Sanford.

As do players that are regular top 6.
totally get it, but at least your bottom 6 guys should be good at checking or skating, or... something.. and while his 'hits' stats look ok, I question the person that actually knows what a hit is and isn't.. cause.. Sanford doesn't 'hit' anyone.. same stat person that thought Jaskin is a 'hitter'... pitiful

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
you would think so, right?!?! but with Sanford.. I dunno.. very frustrating player. def has skill to play 2nd line but...

regardless, he'll go on a tear for a bit then right back to being invisible, or worse.. bad (turnovers..etc)
I just hope he either keeps it up until the TDL so we can cash in on it or gets hot around that time again.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
All I can say that hes been a lot better than Nick Paul, Connor Brown and Chris Tierney this season.

He's certainly been more opportunistic but I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare. Brown is playing over 20 minutes a night and Paul is playing over 17 (some at center when he's used to playing wing). They're paired every night against the opposing teams top line with either Tierney or Stutzle and they PK. Realistically C.Brown and Nick Paul should play 3rd line minutes with a guy like Formenton and they would be doing pretty well in a more ''sheltered role''. They seem overwhelmed and they are. The team is asking way too much from these guys, again this is a roster construction issue.

It's going to be a long 82 game schedule.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
He's certainly been more opportunistic but I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare. Brown is playing over 20 minutes a night and Paul is playing over 17 (some at center when he's used to playing wing). They're paired every night against the opposing teams top line with either Tierney or Stutzle and they PK. Realistically C.Brown and Nick Paul should play 3rd line minutes with a guy like Formenton and they would be doing pretty well in a more ''sheltered role''. They seem overwhelmed and they are. The team is asking way too much from these guys, again this is a roster construction issue.

It's going to be a long 82 game schedule.

Also an injury issue. Pinto and White being healthy would have Paul on the wing still.

Paul is being pushed into the 2C role, and he's not that. He's not even a 2nd line winger, and that's his stronger position.

Hard to crap on the guy who's doing everything he can, while still being asked to do more.

The roster construction is more Dorion dropping the ball in terms of having depth. Why did they go into this season without enough centres? Like who the frig does that?

Reactions: Boud

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
All centres, although half of them are AHL players & unfortunately we have been forced to play almost all these guys at the NHL level due to covid & injuries.

Norris
Pinto
White
Tierny
Paul - can play centre
Ennis - can play centre
Kelly - can play centre
Shaw - can play centre
Bishop
Agozzino
Kastelic
Gambrell - brought in as centre

Reactions: swiftwin

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sanford hasn't looked bad. When I watched him play for St. Louis, he seemed to play OK. Its possible that I caught his best games.

He can at least score which is something that the Senators don't do enough of in some (half) of their games. He does make some noticeable defensive guffaws. I guess we'll have to see if he can continue to play decently on a consistent basis. There's definitely room for him in a bottom six role on the Senators given their weak depth.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Also an injury issue. Pinto and White being healthy would have Paul on the wing still.

Paul is being pushed into the 2C role, and he's not that. He's not even a 2nd line winger, and that's his stronger position.

Hard to crap on the guy who's doing everything he can, while still being asked to do more.

The roster construction is more Dorion dropping the ball in terms of having depth. Why did they go into this season without enough centres? Like who the frig does that?

Without enough centers? Bruh. We lost 3 to injury. Remove 3 NHL centers from any team, and things will start to look thin.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
he's done more good than bad since his role has elevated. good to see

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The impact one game can have on a fanbase :laugh:

He loses battles constantly despite being 6'4, has no defensive impact and brings nothing to the table besides a good shot and decent hands.

4th liner on a contender. Don't think he'll return anything more than the 4th Dorion gave up to get him.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

He loses battles constantly despite being 6'4, has no defensive impact and brings nothing to the table besides a good shot and decent hands.

4th liner on a contender. Don't think he'll return anything more than the 4th Dorion gave up to get him.

For me it's not just the one game. He's looked ok. Not out of place. Not making you wonder wtf Dorion was thinking when he traded for him.

Kind of refreshing not having Dorion get taken to the cleaners on a trade.

edit: I did a Google. Logan Brown has 13pts (5g 8a) in 16gp so far this year.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Sanford already has done more as a Senator then LBrown ever did (and prolly ever will for any NHL club). Still pretty depressing but at least we have a warm body to keep another prospect down in development. If he can put up some dope numbers, might be able to get a pick or move him in a package for him

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Sanford already has done more as a Senator then LBrown ever did (and prolly ever will for any NHL club). Still pretty depressing but at least we have a warm body to keep another prospect down in development. If he can put up some dope numbers, might be able to get a pick or move him in a package for him

Logan still has a couple years to figure things out. I would imagine the Blues telling him he isn’t a NHL player woke him up instead of him just pouting and blaming the Sens

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Brown's been a ppg AHL guy for us as well. Until he does anything in the big league with that massive frame he's in bust territory. He can still carve out an NHL career, i just wouldn't bet on it and for once don't blame the Sens development on him not turning out legit for us

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I'm just happy he has improved since the beginning of the season when nearly un-playable.

He at least contributes a bit now and as Aragorn mentioned...maybe we can get a middle round pick for him.

Or we sign him to a 4 year extension...sigh...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Without enough centers? Bruh. We lost 3 to injury. Remove 3 NHL centers from any team, and things will start to look thin.
We lost 2. And maybe losing pinto and white and it Alledgedly crumbling this team is part of the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad