Value of: Zach Parise

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
NMCs and NTCs aside, Bobby Ryan If Minnesota is willing to retain 30-40% salary.

Ottawa always looking to shed salary and save actual money. Minnesota would get a right shot winger, whose game is better suited to the West, to add to their lineup which is extremely left shot heavy (Nino, Koivu, Granlund, Staal, Parise, Zucker, etc). Minny takes back an unattractive contract, but sheds those extra 3 years of 7M+ cap hits.

Bobby on the books for 4 more years at a total salary of 30 million.

Parise over the next 7 years retained at:
30% = 25.2 million in total salary
35% = 23.4 million in total salary
40% = 21.6 million in total salary

Melnyk saves roughly 5-10 million in total salary (actual cash) by taking on the longer term due to the tack-on low salary years at the back end of the Parise contract.

Over the next four years where the "real money" considerations are the big factor:
Ryan is getting 7.5M per in salary.
If Parise is retained at 35%, Ottawa would be paying him salaries of 5.85M, 5.85M, 5.2M, 3.9M. Cash savings for Ottawa.

IMO Melnyk definitely takes on those extra three years at salaries of 1.3M, 0.650, 0.650 because they are low throw away numbers and he is saving close to 7 million in cash as a result on the whole. With Ottawa, it is always about the cash not the cap space due to the internal budget.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No way i see Zach Parise leaving his homestate of Minnesota i'd be truly shocked if he did, He went there for a purpose to bring a championship to his hometown team same with Ryan Suter. Can't see either one leaving Minnesota.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
This is pointless. The Wild can't move him, and wouldn't really be looking to move him, certainly not paying to do it. His contract is what it is at this point. He'll LTIRetire at some point and that will be the end of it. There's no way the Wild would want to move him and risk him retiring on another team. They would get butchered by the recapture.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Actually he went from a team that was in the Stanley Cup Final that very season to a team that hasn’t really done anything aside from actually make the playoffs but ok.
The post you are quoting is in reference to why the Wild signed that deal, not why Parise did. Parise signed it because Suter convinced him to play at home.

Reactions: BagHead

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The post you are quoting is in reference to why the Wild signed that deal, not why Parise did. Parise signed it because Suter convinced him to play at home.
Not from our understanding, Suter was going to sign with Detroit and it was Parise and Heatly that talked him into signing with Minnesota not the other way around. Suter had contingency plans to sign with Detroit but once Parise signed with Minnesota he signed there as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Other way around.

Wild are stuck with Parise, his awful contract and play. Somehow they have to convince their younger players that they are not worth the same when they come up for new contracts.

Chaps my ass that on top of his stealing money every week for his non performance that he gets to dictate when, where, and if he gets traded. His agent sure got him a great deal.

Last edited:

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
From what was going around the Devils boards at the time, Parise and Suter has been texting all season long during their UFA year and both had every intention of signing in Minnesota. I don’t think either one had to be convinced.

Reactions: My3Sons

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
What the hell happened to the Wild since they signed him and Suter? Those were big signings and you don’t make big moves like that and don’t at least contend. I don’t get to watch them and I barely hear about them unless my team is playing against them, so I don’t know much about them. A city that bleeds hockey deserves better.

Reactions: CBJSTH

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
From what was going around the Devils boards at the time, Parise and Suter has been texting all season long during their UFA year and both had every intention of signing in Minnesota. I don’t think either one had to be convinced.
That's probably closest to the truth, but Parise is the hometown boy, not Suter. Madison is closer to CHI than MN.
]

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What the hell happened to the Wild since they signed him and Suter? Those were big signings and you don’t make big moves like that and don’t at least contend. I don’t get to watch them and I barely hear about them unless my team is playing against them, so I don’t know much about them. A city that bleeds hockey deserves better.

They definitely improved, and have been in the playoffs every year. Trouble is that they ran into the uber competitive Central, and more specifically CHI who would beat them like a drum.

Suter has been excellent, and has quietly been a top 10 Dman every year. Worth every penny.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They definitely improved, and have been in the playoffs almost every year. Trouble is that they ran into the uber competitive Central, and more specifically CHI who would beat them like a drum.

Suter has been excellent, and has quietly been a top 10 Dman every year. Worth every penny.

Suter is definitely a good player. I always liked Parise too. He’s definitely had his better days behind him. Yea I forgot about Chicago. They were a pain for anybody in the West.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
NMCs and NTCs aside, Bobby Ryan If Minnesota is willing to retain 30-40% salary.

Ottawa always looking to shed salary and save actual money. Minnesota would get a right shot winger, whose game is better suited to the West, to add to their lineup which is extremely left shot heavy (Nino, Koivu, Granlund, Staal, Parise, Zucker, etc). Minny takes back an unattractive contract, but sheds those extra 3 years of 7M+ cap hits.

Bobby on the books for 4 more years at a total salary of 30 million.

Parise over the next 7 years retained at:
30% = 25.2 million in total salary
35% = 23.4 million in total salary
40% = 21.6 million in total salary

Melnyk saves roughly 5-10 million in total salary (actual cash) by taking on the longer term due to the tack-on low salary years at the back end of the Parise contract.

Over the next four years where the "real money" considerations are the big factor:
Ryan is getting 7.5M per in salary.
If Parise is retained at 35%, Ottawa would be paying him salaries of 5.85M, 5.85M, 5.2M, 3.9M. Cash savings for Ottawa.

IMO Melnyk definitely takes on those extra three years at salaries of 1.3M, 0.650, 0.650 because they are low throw away numbers and he is saving close to 7 million in cash as a result on the whole. With Ottawa, it is always about the cash not the cap space due to the internal budget.
And another guy that doesn't understand the basic concept of a salary retention trade. Use your f***ing head.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not from our understanding, Suter was going to sign with Detroit and it was Parise and Heatly that talked him into signing with Minnesota not the other way around. Suter had contingency plans to sign with Detroit but once Parise signed with Minnesota he signed there as well.
Detroit was the fallback plan for Suter if Minnesota couldn't get both him and Parise signed.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit was the fallback plan for Suter if Minnesota couldn't get both him and Parise signed.
Correct it was widely reported, Had Parise not signed with Minnesota that Suter would've signed with Detroit for a similar deal that he signed in Minny. Detroit wanted Suter but not Parise couldn't afford them both. So obviously once Parise decided to come home to Minnesota Suter joined his as his Fiancee now Wife is from the Minneapolis area.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Correct it was widely reported, Had Parise not signed with Minnesota that Suter would've signed with Detroit for a similar deal that he signed in Minny. Detroit wanted Suter but not Parise couldn't afford them both. So obviously once Parise decided to come home to Minnesota Suter joined his as his Fiancee now Wife is from the Minneapolis area.
That's not how it went down though. Suter was signing in Minnesota unless something fell through. You're trying to make it sound like Fletcher and Parise talked him out of signing in Detroit. It didn't happen that way, Suter and Parise decided on Minnesota, and the only thing that would've changed that was Minnesota saying no.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yup. The Devils avoided disaster by missing out on Parise. Kinda funny how things work out.

Yep, Devils look real good now, present and future. Kovy bailing and Parise walking was probably the best thing that ever happened to them.
Otherwise they would sitting with two older anchor contracts and who knows what they would have tried to do to be buyers/contenders in recent years to make it worse if those two guys stuck around

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That contract is the result of the "benefit now and solve the problem later" philosophy the league followed after the Hossa contract made everyone realize they could. New rules have saved GMs from themselves
I am still annoyed all these other teams are getting out of them with long-term IR and we got bent over by losing a 1st round pick in the process....ya we got one back at the end of the 1st round but christ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad