GDT: Yzerman pre-draft press conference at 3:25 PM ET on 7/5

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Art asks questions that have so little subtlety in trying to ask the same question in a different way...it's both amusing and frustrating. I like that Art has his opinions...just wish he wouldn't embrace them so tightly as to be stand-offish.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
or maybe it's just a misdirection?

I'd be surprised if it's not a center.
Picking based on position in the top 10 is something fans and bad teams do. Are you gonna skip on a center next year because you drafted a center this year? Can we not see further into the future than a single season? I don't think it's misdirection, it's just logic.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Picking based on position in the top 10 is something fans and bad teams do. Are you gonna skip on a center next year because you drafted a center this year? Can we not see further into the future than a single season? I don't think it's misdirection, it's just logic.
It can be both though, even in the same draft yr and/or multiple years/decades.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Steve is so well spoken but so non-informative at the same time. Great sports management material. Tell them what you want them to hear but give them no info at the same time. What a master. Love this guy.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yzerman has the bubbly chilling in the background for when they get the best player in the draft at #8. It sounded like Yzerman will try to improve the team via free agency before making decisions on any of his FAs which makes a lot of sense. Overall just feel good about the direction of the franchise. Other than shutting Max down on the Larkin contract Yzerman seemed to be in a good mood and I thought most of the beat writers were able to get some good information from him. Glad to see the prospect camp returning.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This BPA argument is so stupid.
Hockey player judgement isn't a video game. You don't can't tell the difference between an 87 rating and 89 rating at 18.
You have players in tiers - based on all kinds of factors - and then you pick the one who makes the most sense.
So if you've got 3-4 guys you really like at 8, chances are if you really need a kid at a certain position, you pick the guy at the position you need.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
This BPA argument is so stupid.
Hockey player judgement isn't a video game. You don't can't tell the difference between an 87 rating and 89 rating at 18.
You have players in tiers - based on all kinds of factors - and then you pick the one who makes the most sense.
So if you've got 3-4 guys you really like at 8, chances are if you really need a kid at a certain position, you pick the guy at the position you need.
It isn't. The best drafting teams pick who they think is the best player. You can think it's stupid, that's your opinion, but that's just how it works. Whenever their pick comes up, they'll have a single player at the top that they want. They've had a really long time to argue about where these players should rank in their eyes. If you want to go for positional need, you do it outside the top 10-15. You say they have "tiers" but I can guarantee they don't have tiers at the top. They have guys they absolutely prefer. They've been watching these players for a long time. They absolutely have their favorites. If you don't go for the BPA in the top 10-15 (depending on the strength of the draft), you're shooting yourself in the foot for no reason. It's just so shortsighted and you risk setting your rebuild back for years.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It isn't. The best drafting teams pick who they think is the best player. You can think it's stupid, that's your opinion, but that's just how it works. Whenever their pick comes up, they'll have a single player at the top that they want. They've had a really long time to argue about where these players should rank in their eyes. If you want to go for positional need, you do it outside the top 10-15. You say they have "tiers" but I can guarantee they don't have tiers at the top. They have guys they absolutely prefer. They've been watching these players for a long time. They absolutely have their favorites. If you don't go for the BPA in the top 10-15 (depending on the strength of the draft), you're shooting yourself in the foot for no reason. It's just so shortsighted and you risk setting your rebuild back for years.
Bulllshit. THis is not a science. There's not an exact measurement on this stuff.
Unless you have a guy who you believe is truly better - you draft the guy you need.
We've seen this over and over and over.
These guys don't know who's going where before them. They usually aren't pining for one guy that much over the other - anymore than you or I are.
The further away they are from #1 - the more likely it is they have several good options in front of them.
Maybe, from time to time, someone will fall from way on high on their list and be absolutely above the others by the time you get around to picking.

If you continue to draft wingers, over and over and over, you end up with a shit team.
Because you need centers and defense to win.
If you go 10 years and draft 1 LD and 2Cs and 0 RD in ROund 1 - you're going to have a shitty rebuild unless you get super lucky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad