Post-Game Talk: Monarchy Abolished (x3)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I feel bad for ever doubting draisaitl during the season.
I feel good for defending the player all season every season. heh.

Drai would've had a hat trick last night without LA taking him out on that last rush with the puck. Was impeccable in all zones and making defensive plays as well. Had everything going and was dominant.

But don't feel bad. There were plenty of posters still doubting Drai DURING this series.

Somebody check on @LTIR and see if he's OK.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Props to Knoblauch as well.
He completely outcoached Hiller.

Knoblauch continues to show why firing Woodcroft was the right move.
I hate to pile on Woody but he was vastly out-coached against Vegas...which bled into the beginning of the season (that led to his demise)

Knoblauch is a straight shooter that doesn't play games nor does he think he's the smartest guy in the room...I look forward to seeing how he manages his bench in Round 2

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And I feel bad for my hyper criticism in regards to everything Bouchard that caused such a commotion. But that's part of the process.

Now Draisaitl is the best player in the entire playoffs, that's my opinion, and Bouchard is making a strong case for being the best defenseman... anyone doubting that needs to rewatch games 4 and 5 of the series. Possibly the two best performances of his NHL career.

the Orange Crush will now commence
He made an interception on a centering pass late in the game yesterday that he doesn’t make even three months ago. He read the play, purposely gave the attacker some room to draw them into passing, then deftly swung his blade to knock away the pass.

Reactions: McDoused

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I don't think there's ever been a better PP in the league. You have McDavid dancing around everywhere and not staying in one spot. Then add in the danger from the Bouch Bomb and Drai's sweet spot and Nuge's creativity. Then you have the best net presence player in the league in Hyman. It can kill you in so many different ways. The way they move the puck is like poetry on ice.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I woke up this morning and nearly had a heart attack from the salt on the mains.

Glorious.

I have dreamt of the day when the Oilers finally get favourable officiating. Mains don’t know what hit them. They didn’t believe us when we complained about officiating. Now they can’t fathom how the Oilers actually look when we get the calls.

Inject this straight into my oily veins.
don't go to CP...they're crying about the reffing will be for some time

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
So great to see Kane on the 2nd line. When he plays with top 6 forwards he can be dangerous. He had to play with bottom 6 forwards and he didn't produce as much offense. Kane has been solid in the playoffs for us since he was here. I hope they keep the top 2 lines as:

Henrique-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-Kane

That gives up 2 deep scoring lines.

Holloway-McLeod-Perry
Foegele-Ryan-Janmark

I wouldn't mind if Connor Brown got inserted into the lineup for a few games next round.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I woke up this morning and nearly had a heart attack from the salt on the mains.

Glorious.

I have dreamt of the day when the Oilers finally get favourable officiating. Mains don’t know what hit them. They didn’t believe us when we complained about officiating. Now they can’t fathom how the Oilers actually look when we get the calls.

Inject this straight into my oily veins.
They don't know the half of it.
He made an interception on a centering pass late in the game yesterday that he doesn’t make even three months ago. He read the play, purposely gave the attacker some room to draw them into passing, then deftly swung his blade to knock away the pass.
Bouchard got his man strength outmuscling everyone for the puck and with netfront presence like a big Swede, brimming with newfound confidence.

Bouchard turning the corner making me eat crow... not bad with a little garlic.

So great to see Kane on the 2nd line. When he plays with top 6 forwards he can be dangerous. He had to play with bottom 6 forwards and he didn't produce as much offense. Kane has been solid in the playoffs for us since he was here. I hope they keep the top 2 lines as:

Henrique-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-Kane

Holloway-McLeod-Perry
Foegele-Ryan-Janmark

I wouldn't mind if Connor Brown got inserted into the lineup for a few games next round.
Kane the 5 on 5 monster. And we still got Brown in the tank.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Henrique-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-Kane

Holloway-McLeod-Perry
Foegele-Ryan-Janmark

Who does Brown take out? Foegele or Perry?

Foegele doesn’t seem to get much done when he plays in the bottom 6.

I thought Perry would have more offensive impact against the Kings. But I do think hes a factor on the bench. Hes also just a really smart player. But also wouldn’t be surprised if hes a offensive factor at some point.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think cause the Oilers showed maturity throughout the series. Not getting revenge in scrums. Paying attention to their stick work. And I’m guessing not being bitches to the refs after calls as we’ve seen in some mic’d up videos. We earned the officiating we got this series.

It’s that whole vet teams get calls thing. But you gotta act like vets to get those calls.
Not sure if anybody would remember but last playoffs I was imploring Woody and Manson to get a grip on their club. We had guys like Desharnais, Nurse, Kane etc shouting and screaming at officials. Some of them raging. You can't do that. Human nature is you get a bad shake if you treat people badly. No different with officials. Oilers had a much different approach this season and this playoffs it was the LA coach caustic with officials and his team as well.

As well we had Drasaitl imploring Darnell Nurse NOT to react. he did anyway, got suspended. There was no vocal direction from the coaching staff, just Drai trying to take leadership.

I loved the exchange game 4. The official says to Kane "I'm not talking to you if you're not calm. Kane replies, no, I am calm, I just want to bring to your attention I'm being slewfooted. Official, OK, sorry we didn't see it.

Thats all it needs to be. No yelling, screaming and lo and behold the Oilers get the calls they should.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I thought Perry would have more impact against the Kings. But also wouldn’t be surprised if hes a factor at some point.
Perry was great defensively yesterday. He broke up at least three plays that would have been very dangerous. He just gets it in the playoffs. Be responsible defensively, even as a winger. More impressively, he skated down to break up a 2 on 1 even though he’s not the fastest skater.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

I thought Perry would have more impact against the Kings. But also wouldn’t be surprised if hes a factor at some point.
Foegle is DOA so far in the playoffs. I say bring brown in and see what he can do. Ice time is earned

Reactions: FlameChampion

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Perry was great defensively yesterday. He broke up at least three plays that would have been very dangerous. He just gets it in the playoffs. Be responsible defensively, even as a winger. More impressively, he skated down to break up a 2 on 1 even though he’s not the fastest skater.
I imagine he’s great on the bench and in the room between periods as well

Foegle is DOA so far in the playoffs. I say bring brown in and see what he can do. Ice time is earned

I honestly don’t mind alternating Brown/Foegele to keep them hungry.

Ryan/Carrick makes some sense too as Ryan is getting older to keep him fresh.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Props to Knoblauch as well.
He completely outcoached Hiller.

Knoblauch continues to show why firing Woodcroft was the right move.
I guess technically he outcoached Hiller, but I don't even get what Hiller was doing behind the bench to begin with. Was similar to Todd just a different voice.

Blake out coached himself here, by bringing in the same guy different face

Edit: Like McLellan there just wasn't much coaching to be beaten in the first place lol

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I guess technically he outcoached Hiller, but I don't even get what Hiller was doing behind the bench to begin with. Was similar to Todd just a different voice.

Blake out coached himself here, by bringing in the same guy different face

I’ve read things that suggest that Blake really loves the 1-3-1. So not really a surprise to see Hiller come in and play the same way. Wonder if McLellan wanted to play it?

You would think after 3 years, they would of learned that it wasn’t going to work against the Oilers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think Perry's leadership is something that'll keep him in regardless. He's not afraid to talk on the bench or dressing room and people listen to him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yep. Came from behind to break up the 2 on 1 With PLD passing puck over. Was a dangerous chance, couple others.

Perry playoff influence on ice also bigger than what Brown brings. Brown basically is injury reserve at this point.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I’ve read things that suggest that Blake really loves the 1-3-1. So not really a surprise to see Hiller come in and play the same way. Wonder if McLellan wanted to play it?

You would think after 3 years, they would of learned that it wasn’t going to work against the Oilers.
Probably because the personnel they have they have no choice to play anything else, lol.

Can't trust your goalies, defense is weak individually so try to play a team defense and wait for your chances.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Hiller is only interim coach as stated, and I doubt based on tactics and deployment and even his own comportment that it will be much more than that. Guy should be a footnote. He got the least of players instead of the most of them in playoffs. Tactically his schemes were shambolic and he failed to adjust.

To wit if a coach WANTED to lose to the Oilers in 4 games just deploy the diamond pk. Deploy it in all 5 games to the bitter end. With that being margin of victory in 3 of the games.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
For once its sensible. Woody would have sought to get every drop out of it during regular season when it doesn't count. Gotta bump his own "legendary" regular season record. Now the guy is unemployed.

Playoffs is all that matters. Astute coaches would save schemes for playoffs.

That said the Oilers were playing a team that used the diamond pk every game against us, which is inane. That serviced our PP efficiency.
2nd best PK in the league. Just give credit where credit is due.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad