Youth Competitions

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
They're different age groups even though both groups are playing for their nation's "U17" team. This World Cup is being contested by the 2006ers who qualified last year, the Euro qualis are being played by the 2007-born kids.
Ah I was confused because Nwaneri, for instance, is an 07 on England.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Day 3 went much more according to script, as France and Germany recorded comfortable wins (3-0 over Burkina Faso & 3-1 over Mexico). While the US beat Korea 3-1 and Venezuela beat New Zealand 3-0.

Barca's Noah Darvich got a goal and an assist today...and he might be just the 4th biggest talent on that team (Brunner, Ouedraogo, Ramsak).

Last edited:

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Not a great first half by US, didn’t have a plan for the press Korea played, fixed it at half time and won 3-1. Standout was the 08 Berchimas who had 2 goals from RW. The CB Banks has talent on the ball for his size, but had way too many turnovers(dribbled into midfield then didn’t make the next pass).

This US team wants to pass it through the press, never sent any long balls down the wings for a runner. Up against better teams they’re gonna get punished.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Both of England's 07s, Nwaneri and Rigg, starting against Iran. Rigg already getting minutes in Sunderland's first team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Iran almost pulled off another upset as they lost to England on a 90th minute goal. With New Caledonia next on the docket they have a good chance to advance ahead of Brazil.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Canada has not looked great though we never do at the U-17 level. It's clear the coaching staff has limited time with the players and that there is no real strategy or system to get these kids playing and developing together.

We basically just keep hoping to "luck" into more David's and Davies calibre players.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Ndala scored the winner for England with a nice finish from a tight angle after the Iranian GK spilled the ball. Russell-Denny scored the equaliser just after coming on with a nice finish from the edge of the box.

Iran's goal came from a corner, Rigg's clearance attempt was heading in before Zamani made sure.

Not sure why Garry plays Nwaneri on the wing when he plays centrally for Arsenal with Lewis-Skelly.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Missed the game but US was able to beat Burkina Faso 2-1. Goals from Figueroa and Berchimas. They rotated a fair bit from the last game, every field player has gotten on the field. Nice to not need a result in the France game.

Reactions: Power Man

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Missed the second half but the German U17s recorded another 3-1 to put them through with a game to spare. Hopefully Ouedraogo wasn't seriously injured, but Brunner got his first of the tourney after coming close a couple of times.

Hennig & von der Hitz aren't the athletes that Kabar & da Silva Moreira are and so are less dynamic going forward, but both have looked good so far in this tourney and shown that they have some nice skill themselves.

EDIT:
Totally forgot that 4 of the 3rd place finishers will advance because there are just 6 groups. So Brazil can advance even if they don't beat England.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Canada bow out having lost all 3 games. The infrastructure at the youth level just isn't there in this country.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ouedraogo is returning from Indonesia. He was banged up coming into the tourney...with speculation he wouldn't be fit for the group stages at all...and then picked up a knock against New Zealand. This certainly opens the door for Osawe or Rüger to claim that spot next Darvich & Harchaoui.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Didn't watch the game, but Netherlands u-21 only beat Gibraltar u-21 1-0. Surprising, although it does look like they were dominant and just couldn't finish.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Brazil beat an English B-team to claim 2nd in their group on GD. While Iran and Japan have guaranteed themselves as the two best 3rd place finishers with 6pts each. Uzbekistan (4pts) will also advance as only 1 more 3rd place finisher can match their total (Mexico/Venezuela).

Hosts Indonesia currently own that last spot in the knockout stages with 2 pts (-2 GD), but I'm not sure if they can still advance. Any win between Korea-Burkina Faso or New Zealand-Mexico would knock them out, and if both of those games end in draws Mexico would also be on 2 pts with the same -2 GD.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Round of 16 is set

Brazil - Ecuador
Argentina - Venezuela

Spain - Japan
Germany - USA

Mali - Mexico
Morocco - Iran

England - Uzbekistan
France - Senegal

Last edited:

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I watched just the 2nd half the game against France. Both teams rotated their squads heavily. US couldn't bury any chances and France could. France deserved to win but I think US was better than the 3-0 scoreline indicated. This new error of US teams wanting to play this possession, counter pressing style is nice, but they seem to want to do it against every team. I just wish sometimes you play a team more talented than you like France and you decided, maybe it would be wiser to play conservatively.

Round of 16 was probably always going to be the end of the line for this team. But it's not helped by the two of the US centerbacks getting suspended for the game.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I watched just the 2nd half the game against France. Both teams rotated their squads heavily. US couldn't bury any chances and France could. France deserved to win but I think US was better than the 3-0 scoreline indicated. This new error of US teams wanting to play this possession, counter pressing style is nice, but they seem to want to do it against every team. I just wish sometimes you play a team more talented than you like France and you decided, maybe it would be wiser to play conservatively.

Round of 16 was probably always going to be the end of the line for this team. But it's not helped by the two of the US centerbacks getting suspended for the game.
I agree with this in theory, but at the youth level, I'd rather them play to a system than play to win.

Reactions: cgf

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
So this U17 is in Indonesia, huh? I'm guessing Israel didn't qualify for this one haha

Nope, and that is exactly why they swapped Indonesia to host this tournament.

Germany beat US 3-2. Game started at 3:30am so I didn't watch, I can only assume US was about to tie it and Frings came out of the stands and punched the ball off the line. ;)

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Moroccan goalkeeper with some interesting mind games, he's saved the last two but they repeated the first one as he was off his line.

1700576518775.png

Morocco wins it with a dramatic equalizer in extra time, and beating Iran on penalties. They deserved it, they were the better team, driving play for most of the game.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nope, and that is exactly why they swapped Indonesia to host this tournament.

Germany beat US 3-2. Game started at 3:30am so I didn't watch, I can only assume US was about to tie it and Frings came out of the stands and punched the ball off the line. ;)

I slept through it too, but it sounds like it wasn't too far off. After we took the lead late, Schmitt reportedly had to make a big save in the 90th minute to secure the win.

Sounds like it was a fun match...as we played a very attacking formation with Darvich (natural 10) & Ramsak (natural FW) filling two of the midfield spots, and da Silva Moreira returning to RB after having played RW in the group stages.

Reactions: KlausJopling

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
England close to a huge suprise, being down 2-1 to Uzbekistan in the 67th minute. They were down before but managed to come back.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
England close to a huge suprise, being down 2-1 to Uzbekistan in the 67th minute. They were down before but managed to come back.

The Uzbeks managed to hold on and will get to face a strong French team in the next round as the QFs are now set:

Brazil - Argentina
Spain - Germany

Mali - Morocco
France - Uzbekistan

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Senegal & Burkina Faso have asked for France to be disqualified from the U17s because Yanis Issoufou played for Niger's U17 in qualifiers for the U17 AFCON before playing for France.

• Haha
Reactions: Incubajerks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad