Youth Competitions

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I figured instead of making a new topic every time there's a different tournament we could just use one topic for stuff like the UEFA Youth CL, u19/21 Euros, etc.

England just won an historic u-20 World Cup 1-0 over Venezuela.
Germany just won the u21 Euros 1-0 over Spain (who were heavy favourites).

Now the u19 Euros are in motion and the tournament opened with Portugal beating Georgia 1-0, the Czech Republic beating Sweden 2-1, England beating Bulgaria 2-0 and in a very exciting game the Netherlands beating Germany 4-1.

Joel Piroe and Javairo Dilrosun as big stand outs in the match (unfortunately missing de Ligt and Kluivert). Some pretty big names have come out of the u19 Euros in the past and I really like this Dutch team even without their two best players.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Will be interesting to see how this german team does. Barkok, Geiger & Gul are excellent prospects, but none of the others have won me over yet...though Chabot, Saglam & Hack have their fans; and Kohlert had a good deal of hype with the U17s two years ago.

Shame Eggestein, Passlack, Janelt, & Schmidt aren't part of the squad.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah I wasn't sure who all was missing from the German team. It's not like it was an overly dominating performance from the Oranje, it seemed pretty even just Piroe is very clinical and Dilrosun is getting a lot of Robben comparisons though I'd say it's pretty early for that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eggestein, Passlack, Janelt, Ozcan & Schmidt are the biggest talents from the 98 age group that are missing, though there's others who's names some will recognize like Burnic, Dorsch, Serra; who aren't there due to stagnant seasons (Dorsch/Burnic) or injury/recovery (Serra).

...but I don't think our 99ers are doing anything; and that's another strong age group for us (Havertz, Maier, G. L. Itter, Akkaynak, Schreck, etc.) So if they had brought those younger kids in, we could've really loaded this team up with something like (pending health):

Eggestein
Barkok** - Havertz**
G.L.Itter - Geiger** - Maier** - Passlack
Karakas* - Gul - Akkaynak

** Schreck
* Hanrath / Chabot / Maloney

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I remember when I went to Euro U19 in Normandy 2010.
Got to see Thiago, Canales (very hyped at the time), Rodrigo (same), Muniain (same), Alaba, Martins Indi, Berghuis, etc...
And the french team was made of Kakuta (superstar in the youth ranks), Lacazette (supersub and nothing more), Griezmann (LW), Fofana (captain and amazing), Grenier (who played injured all competition), Bakambu, and the other star of the team.... Yanis Tafer :D
Oh how things changed.
Still at the time (all my reports are here on HF, you can use the search, it even has pictures IIRC), Canales and Muniain didn't impress me, Kakuta was already ups and downs, while I was super impressed by Lacazette (who played wing late as a supersub). Bakambu's power quickly put Tafer on the bench (I'm not even sure he's still a pro right now). Fofana (tournament MVP IIRC) had to retire early due to ankle injuries. Alaba and Thiago were impressive, but I was all wrong with Griezmann. Didn't think he had anything special, except somewhat quickness. Playing him as striker has put his strengths in front.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nah Gueida Fofana has retired from football due to a devastating ankle injury. He signed with Lyon coming from Le Havre and was on his way to becoming a force in midfield. :(

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nah Gueida Fofana has retired from football due to a devastating ankle injury. He signed with Lyon coming from Le Havre and was on his way to becoming a force in midfield. :(

Oh I thought you were talking about Seko Fofana :laugh: my bad.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Portugal topped the Czechs tonight 2-1. Czechs actually scored a tying goal from half in the last minute but it was off an indirect free kick and no one tipped it. Really makes you think it's worthwhile doing that little trick where one guy just touches the ball and another kicks it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
England vs. Netherlands in the u21 Euros today in a match that most likely decides the group winner in the much stronger group. Unfortunately Piroe got taken out early on a stretcher which is a real blow to the young Oranje. :(

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England won 1-0, deserved win. Should've scored more. Netherlands didn't really create anything, think they had more possession though. DaSilva, Edun, Mount, Sessegnon standing out. Sterling and Buckley-Ricketts pretty good too. Nice run by Marcus Edwards that led to the goal.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I think the date for this tournament is a really poor choice. Most U19 players just finished their last year of youth team eligibility and they now get their chance for the senior team - but if they miss a good chunk of the pre-season, that seriously hampers their chances. That's why quite a few of the more talented players did not come to this tournament. I think they should rather shift it to right after the season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think the date for this tournament is a really poor choice. Most U19 players just finished their last year of youth team eligibility and they now get their chance for the senior team - but if they miss a good chunk of the pre-season, that seriously hampers their chances. That's why quite a few of the more talented players did not come to this tournament. I think they should rather shift it to right after the season.

That cuts both ways; the u20 wc was so soon after the season that some of our top talents were still playing relegation playoffs with their clubs.

There's only so much time between their club responsibilities to squeeze so many different tourneys in.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
That cuts both ways; the u20 wc was so soon after the season that some of our top talents were still playing relegation playoffs with their clubs.

There's only so much time between their club responsibilities to squeeze so many different tourneys in.

True, but for this particular age group I'd say the pre-season is especially important, since it is the end of their youth career and they kind of have to make it in the seniors in the following season.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Czech Republic - Georgia U19 game has been put on hold, ref ordered the Czech team off the field, speculation is for their safety and the referee may have been hit with something from the crowd while the Czechs were celebrating their second goal..

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
England U19 goes up on Germany after being awarded a (slightly soft) penalty

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
England puts in another, could be sending Germany home, though they had to use two subs in the first 15' so I suppose Germany could still come back if England starts to tire out too much

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England won 4-1 and are in the semis. 2 for Brereton and Sessegnon, 3 assists for Mason Mount.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
England's team is very impressive. Could be a good year for their youth internationals.

Hope the Netherlands can pull it back together; they could have easily lost a lot worse against England if not for Bijlow.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Semi-finals today.

Portugal currently up 1-0 on Netherlands, Czech Rep vs England at 18:00 (CET). Gonna be a tough match for us

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
3rd final for England's youth teams this summer. Nice run by Edwards and finish by Nmecha. Nmecha missed an open goal a few minutes earlier. Czech's had some chances too.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England beat Portugal 2-1 in the final. Close game, 0-0 at ht, opened up in the 2nd half. England's games followed that pattern.

Sulliman headed England in front after Mount's fk came off the post. Portugal levelled 6 minutes later through an own goal by Sterling, who miss hit a clearance. England's 2nd came about 10 minutes later after Mount won the ball then squared it to Nmecha who had an open goal. England played the last 10 minutes with 10 men after Edun recieved a 2nd yellow. Both deserved.

Not a bad summer for England's youth teams. u20s, u19s and Toulon winners, u17s final, u21s semi-final.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
England beat Portugal 2-1 in the final. Close game, 0-0 at ht, opened up in the 2nd half. England's games followed that pattern.

Sulliman headed England in front after Mount's fk came off the post. Portugal levelled 6 minutes later through an own goal by Sterling, who miss hit a clearance. England's 2nd came about 10 minutes later after Mount won the ball then squared it to Nmecha who had an open goal. England played the last 10 minutes with 10 men after Edun recieved a 2nd yellow. Both deserved.

Not a bad summer for England's youth teams. u20s, u19s and Toulon winners, u17s final, u21s semi-final.

Cheers, didn't catch the final but England impressed from the games I saw so well-deserved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad