You're the GM, it time to make changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyal Lou

Oct 25, 2013
Rutherford
I mean to be fair it really was for like a decade + too. Only a small faction of our fans really thought we were legit contenders year in and year out. Especially after 2000. No one ever believed the Devils would do much of anything ever. Save maybe make the playoffs.

I don't find this team any different, as far as goals are concerned, than any of our teams post 2000.

I would agree with most except for the 00-01 season when they lead the east in goals. They should have won that year. It was after the Arnott-Lagenbrunner trade and Sykora trade where I wasn't expecting to win every year especially after the lockout I knew that the league had changed too much for the Devils to handle.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I want Gaborik and Grabo this off-season.

JAZZ
Elias - Grabo - Gaborik
Clowe - Henrique - Ryder
Yayo - Loki - Brunner

this lineup is DeBoers nightmare haha

also I think Grabo is in extension talks

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
this lineup is DeBoers nightmare haha

also I think Grabo is in extension talks

Doesn't mean they agree on a number. He is only playing 16:11 ATOI for them and is crazy productive in that time (33 PTS).

I would love for Lou to sign him to be 1/2 C.

NJ CUP*

I mean to be fair it really was for like a decade + too. Only a small faction of our fans really thought we were legit contenders year in and year out. Especially after 2000. No one ever believed the Devils would do much of anything ever. Save maybe make the playoffs.

I don't find this team any different, as far as goals are concerned, than any of our teams post 2000.

i agree people that think this team can compete for the cup are insane. those that mention the kings winning it at #8 are even more insane. i'm all for making the playoffs if the team has a legit shot at the cup.

sell what you can and get what you can for anything!

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
i agree people that think this team can compete for the cup are insane. those that mention the kings winning it at #8 are even more insane. i'm all for making the playoffs if the team has a legit shot at the cup.

sell what you can and get what you can for anything!

Ultimately you might be right. We might look back at this team in the off-season and wish that we sold all of our assets. I just think it's tough for Lou to do that right now given how close we are to the playoffs.

And yes, we are not the Kings, but we also wouldn't be an easy out in the playoffs given the way we play. Let me ask you this:

Do you like the odds of this team picking a good prospect better than the odds of this team winning a round in the playoffs? I think I like the odds of this team winning a round better :laugh:.

I'll tell you one thing - I think it's safer to certainly sell off our assets but I think the reward is much greater if we try to go for it (and maybe supplement the team).

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Ultimately you might be right. We might look back at this team in the off-season and wish that we sold all of our assets. I just think it's tough for Lou to do that right now given how close we are to the playoffs.

And yes, we are not the Kings, but we also wouldn't be an easy out in the playoffs given the way we play. Let me ask you this:

Do you like the odds of this team picking a good prospect better than the odds of this team winning a round in the playoffs? I think I like the odds of this team winning a round better :laugh:.

I'll tell you one thing - I think it's safer to certainly sell off our assets but I think the reward is much greater if we try to go for it (and maybe supplement the team).

Why give up the opportunity to grab assets for the future for one playoff round victory no one will remember?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
We've lost 205 man games to injuries this season

How would Gaborik make that number any better?

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim

The greater the risk, the greater the reward? I think that's too big a risk to take. This team is a few bad moves away from becoming a bottom-feeder for the foreseeable future while losing valuable assets for nothing.

Buckingham Claude*

Statistically speaking, 55-65 points is what an average 1st line player in the NHL scores.

In the last full season (2012), only about 10% of all NHL centers in the league hit 60 points. Only 10 centers total hit 70 points. Median 1st line center production (Logan Couture) was 65 points, median 2nd line center production (Frans Neilsen) was 47 points.

If you're expecting Zajac to score like a top-15 NHL center then that's your own business. But don't go around acting like you need 70 points to be a first liner, because it's just blatantly false.

I'm not sure what scope you people view the league through but offensive production does not occur in this sport the way you think it does.
47 points is an average for NHL Centers and you are saying you don't need 70 points to be a fist line center?

Do you want a 15th place average team or do you want a Stanley Cup?

Zajac is not an average 1st line center with 3 fluke goals out of 7. He is an average 3rd line center.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
47 points is an average for NHL Centers and you are saying you don't need 70 points to be a fist line center?

Do you want a 15th place average team or do you want a Stanley Cup?

Zajac is not an average 1st line center with 3 fluke goals out of 7. He is an average 3rd line center.

:shakehead no...just no. he's an elite 3rd line center, an average 2nd line center, and one of the leagues worst 1st line centers.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
The only names that interest me, so far, are Hemsky and Vanek. Of those two, I think Vanek would be the preferable option, especially if you disregard price tag. If, somehow, Hemsky avoids major injury until he retires, then he's a player to have, IMO.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Bumping this thread

After the Lightning game, I threw in the towel on this team. If they actually make it, I'll be like Stan Fischler and eat my hat.

So here's what I'd do.

Fire DeBoer and Stevens. We all know the reasons for firing DeBoer, but Stevens has not made a single one of those defensemen any better. The rookies have seemed to plateaued in their development. Veteran D keep making the same mistakes. I'm just done with him.

Ted Nolan is the coach if he's out in Buffalo.

Sal needs to be amnestied. PERIOD. Volch is much much better than Salvador and is more of a leader on the ice.

Jagr HAS to come back. He is the leader of this team and still produces at an incredible clip for a guy his age and of the lack of talent around him.

Ryder needs to be bought out. If you can get a pick for him by trading him to some team that needs to hit the cap floor, then it's a bonus. I still can't believe Teddy (who could get better chances) or JJ can't get playing time over this powder puff.

Marty can come back for 1 more year. Strictly as a backup. It's Cory's team now. He gets 8yrs/$64M.

Fayne is Fayne. I guess it depends on what he wants. Anything over 2.5 and it's a no. You can find another guy in his place.

Harrold needs to go. Call someone up from the minors to fill in for him

Zidlicky can come back, but for the right price. 1yr/3mil max. He can still put up points. Besides the last couple of games, he has not been terrible in the D zone.

Bernier is garbage, goodbye. Sislo could be a value guy on the 4th line.

Carter can come back 1yr/1M. A"prove-it" contract.

I'm not a Gionta fan, but he could come back for Vet's minimum on a 2-way contract. Plays ok with sheltered minutes.

I'd give JJ a "prove it" contract, give him 1.5 mil for a year. Stick him on the third line.

Larsson (4 yr/$12-14mil and Gelinas 4 yr/$10mil) get extensions

Sign Paul Stastny. 6yrs/$40million. Kinda the same contract he has now. He has potential to put up 80 pts but hasn't shown much with the youngins in the last 2 years. He's better this year.

Matteau and Boucher really should have another year in the minors, but can be called up in case of injury.

The lines

Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr
Henrique-Statsny-Elias
Clowe-Josefson-Brunner
Carter-Gionta-Sislo

(Boucher/Matteau, even Whitney minor call-ups)

Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Gelinas
Volch-Zidlicky

Merrill (minor call-up)

In 2015: Matteau, Boucher, and Merrill are in the lineup. Brunner and Zids are jettisoned. Greene is rewarded with a nice contract 3 yearish contract of 4.5M each(he deserves it). Kinkaid is the backup.

As the GM, I negotiate contracts during the season.

Last edited:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Bumping this thread

After the Lightning game, I threw in the towel on this team. If they actually make it, I'll be like Stan Fischler and eat my hat.

So here's what I'd do.

Fire DeBoer and Stevens. We all know the reasons for firing DeBoer, but Stevens has not made a single one of those defensemen any better. The rookies have seemed to plateaued in their development. Veteran D keep making the same mistakes. I'm just done with him.

Ted Nolan is the coach if he's out in Buffalo.

Sal needs to be amnestied. PERIOD. Volch is much much better than Salvador and is more of a leader on the ice.

Jagr HAS to come back. He is the leader of this team and still produces at an incredible clip for a guy his age and of the lack of talent around him.

Ryder needs to be bought out. If you can get a pick for him by trading him to some team that needs to hit the cap floor, then it's a bonus. I still can't believe Teddy (who could get better chances) or JJ can't get playing time over this powder puff.

Marty can come back for 1 more year. Strictly as a backup. It's Cory's team now. He gets 8yrs/$64M.

Fayne is Fayne. I guess it depends on what he wants. Anything over 2.5 and it's a no. You can find another guy in his place.

Harrold needs to go. Call someone up from the minors to fill in for him

Zidlicky can come back, but for the right price. 1yr/3mil max. He can still put up points. Besides the last couple of games, he has not been terrible in the D zone.

Bernier is garbage, goodbye. Sislo could be a value guy on the 4th line.

I'm not a Gionta fan, but he could come back for Vet's minimum on a 2-way contract. Plays ok with sheltered minutes.

I'd give JJ a "prove it" contract, give him 1.5 mil for a year. Stick him on the third line.

Larsson (4 yr/$12-14mil and Gelinas 4 yr/$10mil) get extensions

Sign Paul Stastny. 6yrs/$40million. Kinda the same contract he has now. He has potential to put up 80 pts but hasn't shown much with the youngins in the last 2 years. He's better this year.

Matteau and Boucher really should have another year in the minors, but can be called up in case of injury.

The lines

Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr
Henrique-Statsny-Elias
Clowe-Josefson-Brunner
Carter-Gionta-Sislo

Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Gelinas
Volch-Zidlicky

Merrill (minor call-up)

In 2015: Matteau, Boucher, and Merrill are in the lineup. Brunner and Zids are jettisoned. Greene is rewarded with a nice contract 3 yearish contract of 4.5M each(he deserves it). Kinkaid is the backup.

wheres Zubie

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ya know, I've been willing to ride the hot hand, so I've argued on either side of the debate. But I don't see how we can possibly say "Marty can only come back as a back up".

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
wheres Zubie

LOL...ummm. I guess he's been unnoticeable. Now that throws my lineup into the garbage. I guess Carter can take a hike.

Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr
Henrique-Statsny-Elias
Zubrus-Josefson-Clowe
Sislo-Gionta-Brunner

Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Gelinas
Volch-Zidlicky

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
LOL...ummm. I guess he's been unnoticeable. Now that throws my lineup into the garbage. I guess Carter can take a hike.

Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr
Henrique-Statsny-Elias
Zubrus-Josefson-Clowe
Sislo-Gionta-Brunner

Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Gelinas
Volch-Zidlicky

most if not all of that 4th line can go this summer, I like Carters grit, but ....
its time to upgrade our top 6 and move some forwards down to the bottom 6

LaikatheSpaceDog

Jan 25, 2013
I think that its time to move away from the treading water type roster we have been using for the past few seasons. Our lineup is made up of too many "character guys" and not enough of the flash and dash that is needed in today's game, we simply can't sustain an offensive posture with the lack of speed. The team also has very little intensity and again I think that results from a lineup older veterans who have just been handing around too long. The coach and his philosophy regarding young players is also a problem. Stephen Gionta simply can't be used as anything other than a 4th liner and I don't even think he should be used there.

Goaltending: Brodeur has to be told that if he wants to stay in NJ he will be the backup. If the team can't function with him in this role then he should be encouraged to sign elsewhere. I would have no bad feelings if he wants to continue to play someplace else. You can't trade a first round pick for an in his prime goalie who has much better statistics but who has to look over his shoulder because of a 42 year old goalie who sticks around and receives starts for what he used to be. It simply can't work.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
most if not all of that 4th line can go this summer, I like Carters grit, but ....
its time to upgrade our top 6 and move some forwards down to the bottom 6

I wish we could upgrade the top lines but from where without some massive trade?

Vanek isn't coming here, Ignila worsens the team speed problem, I don't know enough about Radim Vrbata. Moulson I'm meh about and I don't want any part of Brian Gionta.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Marty can come back for 1 more year. Strictly as a backup.

Marty has shown, quite unambiguously, that he's not into that. A backup's job is to sit quietly and patiently, and perform when called upon. Marty has too much of an ego* to be a backup, and has shown that he will rock the boat to get more playing time. He gets away with it because he's Marty. Too much of a distraction. Someone as relatively unimportant as a backup goalie can't be causing drama on the team.

*Not a knock on him, per se. It helped him tremendously in his long career as the #1 guy.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Marty has shown, quite unambiguously, that he's not into that. A backup's job is to sit quietly and patiently, and perform when called upon. Marty has too much of an ego* to be a backup, and has shown that he will rock the boat to get more playing time. He gets away with it because hes Marty. Too much of a distraction. Someone as relatively unimportant as a backup goalie can't be causing drama on the team.

*Not a knock on him, per se. It helped him tremendously in his long career as the #1 guy.

I would tell Marty, nobody is going to dangle the money in your face quite like us. If you want to play, I hear Calgary and Vancouver need a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad