Olympics: You're the GM for Team USA 2018. Who gets an invite back?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
JVR-Eichel-Kessel
Parise-Galchenyuk-Kane
Pacioretty-Stepan-Ryan
Gaudreau-Johnson-Pavelski
Bjugstad-Matthews

McDonagh-Trouba
Suter-Jones
Hanifin-Shattenkirk
Fowler-Faulk

Gibson
Quick
Bishop/Schneider

Wheeler could slip in there, can't see Callahan being nearly good enough but he may make it just on reputation. Chychrun could make his way in there too.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
JVR-Eichel-Kessel
Parise-Galchenyuk-Kane
Pacioretty-Stepan-Ryan
Gaudreau-Johnson-Pavelski
Bjugstad-Matthews

McDonagh-Trouba
Suter-Jones
Hanifin-Shattenkirk
Fowler-Faulk

Gibson
Quick
Bishop/Schneider

Wheeler could slip in there, can't see Callahan being nearly good enough but he may make it just on reputation. Chychrun could make his way in there too.

I'd likely put Wheeler there over Ryan. I imagine he'd be better, even in his early 30s.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
We should be absolutely stacked in goal and on defense. Assuming Quick hasn't lost anything by 2018 he'll be the obvious top option, and we're all excited to see Gibson continue to develop. The defense should have a ridiculous amount of options - Suter, McDonagh, Carlson, Trouba, Jones, Faulk, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Yandle, it's almost silly. And so much youth in there.

The key, as always, is going to be the scoring. Guys like Kessel and Kane should still be in the prime of their careers, but who else can you count on? Pacioretty, Pavelski, Galchenyuk, Stepan, JVR, Saad, Wheeler, Okposo, Oshie and others will be in the conversation. Young guns like Bjugstad and Gaudreau are developing. You image a guy like Eichel will be ready. The big question is what happens to our heart and soul two way guys who may already be atrophying a bit? Parise, Backes, Callahan, Brown, Kesler, etc. You can argue that Brown is already out of the conversation, but how will Parise and Kesler look in '18? If they are near where they are now, they're huge guys to have around.

If the offense is potent, you have to think the US will be tough to beat. As has been pointed out though, it's impossible to predict that far ahead.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Matthews with an A as a 20 year old and Kesler in three years over Bjugstad in three years?

I guess you're right on that standpoint, i just saw it as the "high scorer who gets a letter" since he has worn a letter almost everywhere he's played. But that would probably be reserved for someone like Kane if anything.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Man, Eichel, Jones and Trouba panning out would be so damn critical for the US. Those two positions (top-end C and RD) are literally exactly what they've been lacking recently.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Man, Eichel, Jones and Trouba panning out would be so damn critical for the US. Those two positions (top-end C and RD) are literally exactly what they've been lacking recently.

Matthews too, those four reaching full potential would easily let us contend with Canada. We wouldn't be as deep but we'd have every chance of beating them.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

We should be absolutely stacked in goal and on defense. Assuming Quick hasn't lost anything by 2018 he'll be the obvious top option, and we're all excited to see Gibson continue to develop. The defense should have a ridiculous amount of options - Suter, McDonagh, Carlson, Trouba, Jones, Faulk, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Yandle, it's almost silly. And so much youth in there.

The key, as always, is going to be the scoring. Guys like Kessel and Kane should still be in the prime of their careers, but who else can you count on? Pacioretty, Pavelski, Galchenyuk, Stepan, JVR, Saad, Wheeler, Okposo, Oshie and others will be in the conversation. Young guns like Bjugstad and Gaudreau are developing. You image a guy like Eichel will be ready. The big question is what happens to our heart and soul two way guys who may already be atrophying a bit? Parise, Backes, Callahan, Brown, Kesler, etc. You can argue that Brown is already out of the conversation, but how will Parise and Kesler look in '18? If they are near where they are now, they're huge guys to have around.

If the offense is potent, you have to think the US will be tough to beat. As has been pointed out though, it's impossible to predict that far ahead.
Terrific, honest, realistic post.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Matthews too, those four reaching full potential would easily let us contend with Canada. We wouldn't be as deep but we'd have every chance of beating them.

It would for sure on a given night but I feel like the future generation of US players will be stronger the ones who will contend for the 2022 team. 2018 might be early and I don't know if Stepan and Johnson on the team could contend with Crosby, McDavid, Stamkos, Mackinnon, Tavares, Seguin down the middle. Of course anything could happen and goaltending ultimately decides games which is why I'm hoping Canada can produce a few young goalies to take the reins from Price.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Lock
Likely
Bubble
Possible

Offense

Jack Eichel
Patrick Kane
Phil Kessel
Max Pacioretty
James van Riemsdyk
Zach Parise
Joe Pavelski
Derek Stepan
Nick Bjugstad
Alex Galchenyuk
Johnny Gaudreau
Tyler Johnson
Ryan Kesler
Kyle Okposo
TJ Oshie
Brandon Saad
David Backes
Ryan Callahan
Chris Kreider
Auston Matthews
Brock Nelson
Bobby Ryan
Reilly Smith
Blake Wheeler
Tommy Wingels

Defense

John Carlson
Ryan McDonagh
Ryan Suter
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jacob Trouba
Justin Faulk
Cam Fowler
Noah Hanifin
Erik Johnson
Seth Jones
Zach Bogosian
Anthony DeAngelo
Danny DeKeyser
Jake Gardiner
Jack Johnson
Paul Martin
Brady Skjei
Keith Yandle

Goalie

Jonathan Quick
Cory Schneider
Ben Bishop
John Gibson
Ryan Miller

My Picks

Pacioretty - Stepan - Kane
Van Riemsdyk - Eichel - Kessel
Parise - Galchenyuk - Pavelski
Saad - Bjugstad - Oshie
Gaudreau, Johnson

McDonagh - Trouba
Suter - Carlson
Hanifin - Shattenkirk
Fowler, Faulk

Quick
Schneider
Bishop

...and then I think about Canada's roster.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
^ How in the world can Eichel be considered a lock? I realize he's very highly touted and center is not exactly a position of strength for the US, but he's still 10 months away from playing his first NHL game.

Forsberg21Sakic19

Jul 8, 2012
Hoboken, New Jersey, US
I havent re-read the entire thread, but I don't want to see a single player who has been called a "pylon" or described as a "grinder" on the USA again.

Awesome! So happy you said that. I'm glad USA Hockey is finally starting to understand that being a "grinder" is a bonus, not a defining descriptor of a hockey player. In order for a "grinder" to have any effectiveness, he has to be able to play some too. Especially in the international game.

Forsberg21Sakic19

Jul 8, 2012
Hoboken, New Jersey, US
you don't think Eichel will be good enough in 4 years?

Ever heard of Patrik Stefan? Projected stars don't automatically become great players. Much more speculative to pick guys that haven't played in a best on best setting than guys who have performed well at the highest level and are young or in the prime of their careers (meaning that they will be around and more likely in good form in Pyeongchang, 3 1/2 years from now).

Let him make the picks as he sees fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad