Olympics: You're the GM for Team USA 2018. Who gets an invite back?

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I think Team USA also needs to get the best coach available, who cares if he's Canadian, I just think there are no elite American coaches so guys like MacLean, Boudreau, Tippett, etc should looked at as well

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
US should seriously think of getting Joel Quenneville as coach. He took out US citizenship and seems to have a pretty good track record.

I'll consider him a traitor but who am I:laugh:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Cut: Brown, Orpik, Pacioretty, Wheeler, Howard, Martin

Add: Ryan, Yandle, Jones, Bishop, Galchenyuk, Saad

These are the changes that I anticipate between now and the next Olympics. Of course, there could be a couple younger players not currently in the NHL that make it and some other players who have their careers fall off because of injury or regression.

PredragD

May 5, 2011
Only absolute locks to return assuming NHLers are going are Kane and Quick. JvR and Kessel should still be going strong. McDonagh and Fowler should also be in the prime of their careers and looked good on the big ice. Pacioretty and Stepan will still be relatively young and versatile enough to play bottom 6 roles. Suter and Pavelski will be in their 30s, but I think given their healthy track record could be part of the leadership core.
Miller and Howard will be out as they will be older and/or non-premier American goaltenders. Orpik and Martin will be too old. Kessler doesn't seem to age well. Brown and Callahan's already marginal roles will be filled by younger more skilled players. Carlson and Faulk were not that impressive and probably will get pushed out by the youngsters (Jones, Trouba, etc). Backes, Stastny and maybe Wheeler have had injury histories and will be in their 30s. Parise was the captain, but he also has had a history of injuries that make me think the undersized winger won't make the '18 cut.

Two bubble guys are Shattenkirk and Oshie. I think the latter will likely make it due to his shootout skills and ability to play a bottom 6 role. Given the Blues likely success the next few years, I will give Shattenkirk a spot as the offensive minded dman.

So it's 12 returnees and 13 new guys. However, I do think one or two guys from '10 that didn't make '14 will be there in '18.

The obligatory lines:
Saad-Bjugstad-Kane
JvR-Pavelski-Kessel
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Okposo
Kreider-Stepan-Oshie
2 spare fwds (Ryan, Eichel, Smith?)

Suter-Jones
Fowler-Trouba
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
2 spare dmen (DeKeyesr, Gardiner, EJohnson, JJohnson?)

Quick
2 backups (Schneider, Gibson, Campbell?)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Anyone who thinks Ryan Kesler will still be an Olympian in 4 years is kidding themselves. He is hurt, AGAIN. You can't play the kind of hockey he plays and not have it take its toll. In 2018, at 33, he will not be on Team USA. If he is, his role will be very limited and he will be a liability on the big ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToewsGretzky*

Mar 10, 2014
Algonquin Park
Maybe the US will learn their lesson from this year and take their best players come 2018, the Americans really could have used some of Bobby Ryan's intensity out there. :sarcasm:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Maybe the US will learn their lesson from this year and take their best players come 2018, the Americans really could have used some of Bobby Ryan's intensity out there. :sarcasm:

I'm afraid nothing would have saved them this year, TG. Sadly, in 2018, many of the U.S.'s best players will be well past their prime and there are few, at the same level, ready to step in/up. As I have said many, many times before... If the U.S. was going to win Gold, 2014 was the year. Oh well, there is nothing wrong with finishing fourth - well, as long as you're not Canadian.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Yes everybody will be old and there are no good American players as you can see by the lack of U20 gold medals and Americans being drafted in the first round or that most of the current team will be under 30 in four years.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Yes everybody will be old and there are no good American players as you can see by the lack of U20 gold medals and Americans being drafted in the first round or that most of the current team will be under 30 in four years.

Re : U20 Gold Medals...

Yes, you have won 2 in the last 5 years. Not sure how many of those players will translate into great, Olympic level NHL'ers.

Re : Americans being drafted in the first round...

The U.S. usually averages 5 and most are late round picks. And, to my eye, none have developed (or are developing) into a Kane, Parise, Kesler, Kessel, Pavelski, Brown level of player.

When Kreider and Saad are questionably the best young under 25 forwards you have (not named Jack Eichel) and neither is coming close to averaging a point per game, there should be some concern.

Re : Most of the current team being under 30 in four years...

Not up front. ;)

We will have to agree to disagree on this Xokkeu. Is the U.S. in trouble? Of course not. They will be in a similar position to Sweden, Finland and Russia - rebuilding mode. But, as a Canadian fan, I am no where near as worried about Team USA 2018 as I was about Team USA 2014 and that makes me happy. :)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Re : U20 Gold Medals...

Yes, you have won 2 in the last 5 years.

Re : Americans being drafted in the first round...

The U.S. usually averages 5 and most are late round picks. And, to my eye, none have developed (or are developing) into Kane, Parise, Kesler, Kessel, Pavelski, Brown level of player.

When Kreider and Saad are questionable the best young under 25 forwards (not named Jack Eichel) you have and neither is coming close to averaging a point per game, there should be some concern.

Re : Most of the current team being under 30 in four years...

Not up front. ;)

We will have to agree to disagree on this Xokkeu. Is the U.S. in trouble? Of course not. They will be in a similar position to Sweden, Finland and Russia - rebuilding mode. But, as a Canadian fan, I am no where near as worried about Team USA 2018 as I was about Team USA 2014 and that makes me happy. :)

If Canada is the only country not in shambles shouldn't they still be winning the world juniors every year? The most recent Olympic results are a reflection of when Canada was doing just that. But by your own decree, those 05 WJC guys will be too old by 2018.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

If Canada is the only country not in shambles shouldn't they still be winning the world juniors every year? The most recent Olympic results are a reflection of when Canada was doing just that. But by your own decree, those 05 WJC guys will be too old by 2018.

That's fair but Canada, since 2008, has developed players like Stamkos, Eberle, Tavares, Duchene, Kane, O'Reilly, Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Couture, RNH, MacKinnon, Drouin, Monahan, to name a few.

Maybe I am being naïve but I am not worried.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
That's fair but Canada, since 2008, has developed players like Stamkos, Eberle, Tavares, Duchene, Kane, O'Reilly, Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Couture, RNH, MacKinnon, Drouin, Monahan, to name a few.

Maybe I am being naïve but I am not worried about Canada.

I'm not suggesting Canada has anything to be concerned about. They will stay #1 like they have always been.

I just don't think the other countries are as bad as you've been indicating. Sure, they may not be loaded with 20 year old superstars but the development and production of players from USA, Sweden, Russia, and Finland is fine right now. Of course their national teams are going to be filled with guys who are of prime age right now but other players will come along as they develop more.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I'm not suggesting Canada has anything to be concerned about. They will stay #1 like they have always been.

I just don't think the other countries are as bad as you've been indicating. Sure, they may not be loaded 20 year old superstars but the development and production of players from USA, Sweden, Russia, and Finland is fine right now. Of course their national teams are going to be filled with guys who are of prime age but right now but other players will come along as they develop more.

I am sure that is true.

I am still enjoying the 2014 victory and gloating a bit - like the big dummy I am. Again, as a Canadian fan, and there are many who thought the same way as me, 2014 was our biggest challenge...

- The US was the healthiest nation and in its prime.
- Sweden's best were experienced and back for one last kick at the can.
- Russia's best were in their prime and at home.
- Finland is always great at the Olympics and on the big ice.

I thought, "If we could just win in 2014, 2018 will be a rebuilding year for these teams and we might have it easy". Thankfully, it came to pass and I have to enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Anyway, most of you guys know what an idiot I can be. A good natured idiot, but still an idiot.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I am sure that is true.

I am still enjoying the 2014 victory and gloating a bit - like the big dummy I am. Again, as a Canadian fan, and there are many who thought the same way as me, 2014 was our biggest challenge...

- The US was the healthiest nation and in its prime.
- Sweden's best were experienced and back for one last kick at the can.
- Russia's best were in their prime and at home.
- Finland is always great at the Olympics and on the big ice.

I thought, "If we could just win in 2014, 2018 will be a rebuilding year for these teams and we might have it easy". Thankfully, it came to pass and I have to enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Anyway, most of you guys know what an idiot I can be. A good natured idiot, but still an idiot.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself.... You are certainly free to gloat.. just do it in a classy way (not an issue with you.. can't say the same for all your countrymen).

Again, I think everyone (including Canada) had teams of players "in their prime". I can't tell you with certainty who the next generation of players from each country will be and how they'll stack up.. but the best indicator we have is to look at the youth levels. There's nothing there that suggests that the national composition of the NHL will look radically different. There are likely players in the NCAA and various European leagues most of us have only heard the name of (if that even) that will go on to be great NHL players.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself.... You are certainly free to gloat.. just do it in a classy way (not an issue with you.. can't say the same for all your countrymen).

Again, I think everyone (including Canada) had teams of players "in their prime". I can't tell you with certainty who the next generation of players from each country will be and how they'll stack up.. but the best indicator we have is to look at the youth levels. There's nothing there that suggests that the national composition of the NHL will look radically different. There are likely players in the NCAA and various European leagues most of us have only heard the name of (if that even) that will go on to be great NHL players.

Fair enough.

Let's just hope there is a 2018. I sure would prefer that to a World Cup - the NHL at the Olympics is a win-win for everyone. :)

ToewsGretzky*

Mar 10, 2014
Algonquin Park

I don't think anybody is saying the US doesn't have any good hockey players, I personally think that if the US was going to win the olympic gold 2014 was their year, they were projected to be a bit older, a bit more wise and a bit more talented than the surprise 2010 team they had. I just don't believe the World Juniors necessarily translate into success at the senior level. Canada hasn't won there since 2009 similar to a previous drought we had years ago, but at the same time we still cultivate the most number of NHL draft picks. Its not so much about how many players you draft but more an issue of how many of them develop into great players.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Of course, because he is Crosby's kryptonite. Apparently Canada's star has NEVER scored a goal against Orpik in an NHL game!

I laughed too hard there

IMO kessel, kane, suter, quick,

I also hope that only 1 maybe 2 if centre depth is bad gets picked between kesler, pavelski, and backes, yes these are 'selke' worthy players however a team doesn't need 3 of them.

Forsberg21Sakic19

Jul 8, 2012
Hoboken, New Jersey, US
The lack of love for Parise on this thread is shocking. I understand that he will be 33. I understand he hasn't had a 30 goal season since 11/12. I also understand that his game has longevity in it and despite a poor tournament in Sochi he's a leader who gives his all for his country. If he's still a 25-40-65 guy in 2018, you put him in. No doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad