Olympics: You're the GM for Team USA 2018. Who gets an invite back?

nwaZ*

You guys seriously wanna cut Kessel? :laugh:

He choked when the games mattered. So did the others except Quick, but that was extremely disappointing considering how he'd played before that.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Unbelievable that an internet poster understand these things but not Bylsma. Good post!:handclap:

Like I said in the thread about Bylsma, Lavy would've suit the bigger ice better with his system. But then again, I think the US lacked skill anyway upfront.

Pavelski, Kessel, Kane, Backes, JVR, Oshie, Stastny is plenty of skill up front. The problem was the line combos. The most skilled players weren't out there together. They didn't mixup the lines at all. An Okposo or Saad would have helped up front too.

Also, why is team USA's most creative and dynamic offensive player not playing his natural position? I can't tell you how often I saw Kane on the left wing. I would have liked to see JVR, Pavelski, and Kane together. Or Parise, Pavelski, Kane together. Did that ever happen? I saw Kane out there with Kesler 99% of the time, and I thought Kesler was invisible most of the tournament. Admittedly, I didn't watch as much as I would have liked, but I can't recall seeing Kane with Pavelski. Team USA could have used another strong left winger, which is a big reason I was disappointed to see Saad left off the roster. Especially given his speed and puck possession.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kreider/Stepan/Kane
Pacioretty/Galchenyuk/Ryan
JVR/Eichel/Kessel
Parise/Backes/Okposo
Bjugstad
Saad

McDonagh-Jones
Suter-Trouba
Fowler-Shattenkirk
Faulk
Hanifin

Gibson
Quick
Schneider

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Kessel, JVR, Parise, Kane, Kesler, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Stepan, Faulk, Fowler, Suter, McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Carlson Quick.

JVR-Galchenyuk-Kessel
Kreider-Eichel-Kane
Parise-Kesler-Pavelski
MaxPac-Stepan-Ryan
Saad-Bjugstad

McDonagh-Faulk
Jones-Trouba
Suter-Fowler
Shattenkirk
Carlson

Quick
Schneider
Gibson

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Quick, Kane, Kessel, JVR, Fowler, McD, Shattenkirk, Faulk, Patches, Oshie, Backes, Stastny, Stephan.

I think guys like Kesler, Pavelski, Suter, and Parise will all be too old and past their prime.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
He choked when the games mattered. So did the others except Quick, but that was extremely disappointing considering how he'd played before that.

Lol... So the answer is cutting your best player? OK bro

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013

Kessel had a few good chances especially the one off the opening face off.
He's defintley on the all Olympic team.
Jack Eichel will be on the 2018 team.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

Can you really say that's Kessel's fault? It seems like the team as a whole simply didn't show up.

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
These accusations against Kessel are asinine.
He was the best forward in this tournament and he will be given that title by the IIHF after the gold medal game.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ryan-Pavelski-Kane
JVR-Galchenyuk-Kessel
Saad-Backes-Okposo
Pacioretty-Kesler-Wheeler
Stastny Callahan

McDonagh-Jones
Suter-Byfuglien
Yandle-Trouba
Faulk

Quick
Gibson
Howard

lol...so you Galchen, Saad to the forwards.
Canada adds Stamkos,MacKinnon, Hall Seguin...maybe Giroux, Johansen,Turris, RNH

I like Canada's chances.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have the same solution for team USA that I've been proposing for the Rangers for 3 years: let's just clone McDonagh.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Strange thread since 4 years is a long way away. Health and talent can change so much over that time period.

It's easier to say who shouldn't have been on the team IMHO.

Parise
Brown
Wheeler
Martin
Orpick
Faulk

Fire Shero*

Shero, Piole and Bylsma should clearly not be involved in ANY capacity.

Orpik, Callahan, Stepan should not be allowed back. Martin will be past his prime. You don't need Callahan AND Brown, id rather just have Brown.

I still don't know how Orpik and Stepan made this team.

I knew Shero and Poile were incompetent, but they took it to a new low.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

So Kessel gets condemned for being a force through the first four games of the tournament and then dropping off in the last two, while the guys who never really showed up at all get a free pass? As crazy as it sounds, it almost seems as though Kessel would have been held in higher esteem if he had played poorly during the preliminaries.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Get rid of Bylsma hes crap.

Players that comeback:

Kesler
Kane
Backes
Pavelski
Pacoretty
Shattenkirk
T.J Oshie
McDouogh
Parise
Stastny
Callahan
Suter
Fowler
Wheeler (Maybe)
Quick

Basically just get rid of the non scorers and ppl who shouldn't be there.

I can see the strong hate for the leafs lol. Parise, Wheeler, Pacioretty, Callahan all ahead of the most successive players Kessel and JVR? I don't mind though Kane, Callahan, Wheeler couldn't even score once.

I don't mind watching Canada win gold again without any effort.

nwaZ*

So Kessel gets condemned for being a force through the first four games of the tournament and then dropping off in the last two, while the guys who never really showed up at all get a free pass? As crazy as it sounds, it almost seems as though Kessel would have been held in higher esteem if he had played poorly during the preliminaries.

I haven't said Kessel would be cut or the only one if that happened. I offered an explanation.

I'd look more to a player like Parise.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'll just say who shouldn't have been on the team this year...

Howard
Martin
Orpik
Callahan
Brown
Oshie
MaxPac

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Can you really say that's Kessel's fault? It seems like the team as a whole simply didn't show up.

I agree. I saw a lot of Parise, Kane out there but less Kessel, JVR. You give your successful players more mins than caring about players like Kane and Parise. They didn't deserve the mins ahead of Kessel, Pavelski, JVR. Also ******* Backes was playing in front of goalie when JVR has the best intangibles, hands, skills, size, strength at that position.

Suck it Bylsma you are the worst coach team USA ever had. You made this team worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad