Post-Game Talk: You're Lehtonen too many goals: Pens - 5, Stars - 1

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
+ Zatkoff was damn good
+ That Crosby guy did something, trade talks may be halted until his value rebounds but it may drop again. It's risky.
+ Stempniak, he has hands.
+ The defense looked less terrifying
+ Real hockey players were on the PK, it was effective.
+ Sutter did something

- Bylsma still Bylsma'd and Gladampik was still Gladampik
- Megna sat, Engelland wasn't at forward

You know how Crosby hasn't had any 4 point games in forever? Yeah, that may have something to do with Bylsma doing his usual stupids.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Did Stemp really play less than Adams? Is that a mistake by NHL.com?

Honestly Goc, Vitale, Gibby get huge ups for me. The way they were used was tremendous. At least in my opinion. Top line looked dominant. Malkin line - meh. Stemp is finding his home w/ Sid & Kunitz.

No, it's not a mistake. Stempniak has the lowest time on ice tonight.

Agree on Stemp finding his home. I really never doubted that he'd look good there. Question comes in the playoffs and whether he'll help against the good teams. Will he give Sid MORE than Dupuis or even Guerin did, because Sid hasn't had an impact playoff series against a top defensive team since Hossa was on his wing?

As for JMN, they are this years Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora. My only hope is that Bylsma sees it before the Pens are down 2-0 in a playoff series, although I am afraid that's less likely without Fitzie on the bench.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Maatta-Niskanen
Zatkoff

A+'s

Jokinen(in particular)-Malkin-Neal
Scuds-Orpik

F's

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I thought Malkin played pretty well. Kinda sad that line didn't do more. But I'm sure it wasn't b/c of Juice.

Well, maybe if Malkin and Neal did more to get Juice the puck . . .

EDIT: Only a blind squirrel (or fish) wouldn't have seen this coming . . .

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
One line team tonight.

+Zatkoff, Sid, Stemps and Kunitz

With scoring, mostly yeah but I thought it was actually a really good team effort tonight. If Malkin's line had showed up for the first 40, I would have said it was pretty much a full-team effort.

Michael8771*

Still too sloppy in the defensive zone, but better than losing I guess.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
No, it's not a mistake. Stempniak has the lowest time on ice tonight.

Agree on Stemp finding his home. I really never doubted that he'd look good there. Question comes in the playoffs and whether he'll help against the good teams. Will he give Sid MORE than Dupuis or even Guerin did, because Sid hasn't had an impact playoff series against a top defensive team since Hossa was on his wing?

As for JMN, they are this years Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora. My only hope is that Bylsma sees it before the Pens are down 2-0 in a playoff series, although I am afraid that's less likely without Fitzie on the bench.

Sid only had 16 minutes tonight. It was obvious they were resting those three in third.

I'm alot more confident in Stempniak than I would be with a healthy Dupuis. I'll take that.

And as for Juice. DB sees it. He's been taken off that line several times this season. And was even moved down the lineup this game. I'm hoping Beau comes back with a vengeance and clearly outplays him. If Geno can't make an impact with Neal and a healthy Beau, he aint' the second best player in the world.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
+ Crosby
+ KCS
+ Zatkoff

- PP turnovers leading to possible SH

Rough game for Dallas tonight but they are a team that I think is going to be pretty scary very soon.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I hate Dan as much as the rest of you, but let's not act like Glass was on the PP at an important juncture of the game...he was out there with 6 minutes left in a 5-1 game.

yes, but the rest of that PP was:

Glass - Malkin - Neal

Niskanen - Maatta

I get that it's late in the game, but don't put 4 of your most important players out there if you're taking it easy

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Team has to get the top 2 lines going before the playoffs.
Bylsma should be trying anything to get consistency on Geno's LW. JJ is way too inconsistent there.

Put Megna there til Bennett gets back. Do something.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sid only had 16 minutes tonight. It was obvious they were resting those three in third.

I'm alot more confident in Stempniak than I would be with a healthy Dupuis. I'll take that.

And as for Juice. DB sees it. He's been taken off that line several times this season. And was even moved down the lineup this game. I'm hoping Beau comes back with a vengeance and clearly outplays him. If Geno can't make an impact with Neal and a healthy Beau, he aint' the second best player in the world.

A healthy Beau . . . I concur.

A healthy Beau . . . I also believe in fairy dust.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Glass - Malkin - Neal

Niskanen - Maatta

I get that it's late in the game, but don't put 4 of your most important players out there if you're taking it easy

You think Bylsma sees Malkin, Neal, Niskanen, and Maatta being as important as Sutter, Adams, Orpik, and Scuderi? :help:

pensfansince88

Feb 5, 2012

Glass - Malkin - Neal

Niskanen - Maatta

wouldn't be surprised if this was on DB's mind for the 2nd line if things stay bad

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Glass - Malkin - Neal

Niskanen - Maatta

Well you can't play the bottom six non-stop for the final 6 minutes of a game.

One guy changing doesn't bug me one bit. Look at the ice time of the guys tonight and it was clear that there was a lot of resting going on in the 3rd period. We don't need to be running up the score against Dallas when the win is already in the bag.

That is pretty standard protocol for a late-game PP in an out-of-reach game.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Things were chippy tonight and Glass was our only middleweight.

I mean, DB might well put Glass on a PP anyway, but at least there's some logic there.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
++best Game of the season for Zatkoff
++Sid looking engaged enuff said
2-nd line meh but I liked Geno's game trending upward waiting for Nealer to pick up
I am not thrilled with Goc as everyone else, he is not showing me any offensive mojo I was hoping to see on the 3rd or 4th
defense was less than stellar, no one really stood up, it could have easily be multiple goals night

PK so passive waiting for a good team to kill us...

Michael8771*

So people are gonna complain as to who's on the PP with a 5-1 lead late in the third period? Really?:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad