You're Brendan Shanahan. What do you do?

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
some of the ideas in here are insane. fire all management with only 2.5 months from draft weekend, manage to hire everyone and re-think all assets in time for the draft and the UFA start.

Feb 24, 2004
some of the ideas in here are insane. fire all management with only 2.5 months from draft weekend, manage to hire everyone and re-think all assets in time for the draft and the UFA start.

Not sure it's that nuts, especially if you hire someone to run the team who is involved significantly with the league. In that case, they probably would have strong opinions on draft prospects and free agents already. Hell - most of us using cap geek could probably come up with a better offseason plan than Nonis.

There is no reason to let Nonis and co continue to run the team of they are lame ducks.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
If I'm Brendan Shanahan I start wearing my jock strap to work everyday because I'm guaranteed to get repeatedly kicked in the balls by the fans and the media.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Not sure it's that nuts, especially if you hire someone to run the team who is involved significantly with the league. In that case, they probably would have strong opinions on draft prospects and free agents already. Hell - most of us using cap geek could probably come up with a better offseason plan than Nonis.

There is no reason to let Nonis and co continue to run the team of they are lame ducks.

Yep. Lets face it, our management really hasnt been "hitting them out of the park" when it comes to free agent signings and draft picks. Except for the no-brainer zero risk signings like Raymond/MacArthur.

We sign Clarkson, TB signs Filpulla, Ottawa signs MacArthur, NJ signs Jagr, etc. All for cheaper caphits, all for shorter term, and all performing substantially better.

Our Connolly signing, Komisarek signing, Armstrong signing, etc. Pretty much any UFA signing where a player made 3M+ are signings that have turned out poorly for us. You really can't do much worse in free agency then this group has done over the past 4-5 years.

Durkin67

Armchair GM's:

Trade Phaneuf for whatever humanly possible. If not, strip him of his captaincy and make his life so uncomfortable and unwanted (our job) that it'll encourage him to ask for a trade or go to the KHL, waive his contract a la Kovy and make $10m/yr tax free for eternity. Trade Clarkson back to NJ and eat a couple million/yr on his mistake. Fire Randy and the whole lot of coaches, clean house on our scouts and bring in the best. Overpay, do whatever it takes. Scouts, trainers, psychologists, hell, bring in Anthony Robbins. Spend to the cows come home on the best people not hindered by the cap. Then start at the top and build down with talented people with crystal clear vision. Ask ourselves, why isn't Gary Roberts on full time pay roll at whatever it would take to get him here and no longer training any other players (all of whom flourish in the NHL). Make him assistant coach. Bring in a guy like (not saying HIM) Jeff Blashill to coach. Young, extremely bright and can RELATE to the younger players. Someone who will track analytics with the most high powered team of analytics nerds in the NHL. The only players I'd say are untouchable, although for the right deal, anyone can be had. Bernier, Reilly, Kessel and JVR. I'd love to see Kessel squirm the first day of training camp when Gary Roberts enters the room.

First thing I do is inform the entire organization that summer vacation hasnt started yet. Then, a mandatory off-site team-building/evaluation retreat where individual player meetings will be held in the presence of Shanny.

If Im Shanny, I conclude by addressing the group after the evaluations have been processed, and letting them all know what is expected going forward in terms of commitment to team success. Anyone not interested in being a pert of the program going forward is invited to have their representative contact me directly and request a trade.

In terms of off-ice personnel, I offer Gary Roberts, Mike Foligno and Joe Nieuwendyk the following positions: Assistant Coach, Assistant Coach and Executive Advisor, respectively.

Matt Nichol would be re-introduced as Strength and Conditioning Coach.

John Ferguson Jr. would be offered the job as Chief of Scouting.

Jim Hughes is a question mark. There appears to be challenges with regards to young players taking their next steps. I would want insight into why this is the case. Is it a lack of internal competition? quality of talent? mis-management? I like Babcocks' comments about how centre prospects are made to play the wing until they can learn to compete at the NHL level. Id take a similar path of development.

In terms of coaches, I'd go hard after Torts. He's never been at the top of my list, but he possesses the right mix of encouragement and the absolute expectation of excellence required from the players. He takes zero crap, he's honest, and he lets nobody off the hook, regardless of your salary or contract.

In terms of on ice personnel, I'd be inclined to start looking at the likes of Eric Staal, Evander Kane, Taylor Hall, Ryan O'Reilly, PK Subban, and Gallgher. I'd seriously consider moving away from names like Phaneuf, Lupul, Franson, Reimer and Kadri.

I'd look long and hard at bringing all three Staals in if possible. CAR needs a shakeup as bad as Toronto does, and Jordan is your quintessential 2C who can play a 200 foot game. Not sure what Marc would cost, but I'd have that conversation with Slats in NY.

A top line featuring Eric and JvR would be an absolute treat, rivalling Getz/Perry in terms of effectiveness. Add one of Kane or Hall into that equation and your top line is pretty dynamic. Potentially as good as it gets.

Notice no Phil Kessel in that equation. I'm not anti-Phil at all, but you cant pay for a Porsche with peanuts. A deal for both Staals that costs Phaneuf, Kessel and Bozak suits me fine.

Im not going to turn this into a trade proposal. Im only interested in determining the character and quality of the pieces we need to see in Toronto. Eric Staal is a great leader, and a true 1C. Jordan's commitment to defense is second to none.

It wasnt lack of talent that derailed this club; it wasnt lack of intangibles - heart, commitment, character and a degree of selflessness that fosters an all-in mentality that is the hallmark of a champion.

In short, this highly paid, inordinately skilled patchwork group of celebrities dont deserve another chance to get it right. Time to burn it down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yep. Lets face it, our management really hasnt been "hitting them out of the park" when it comes to free agent signings and draft picks. Except for the no-brainer zero risk signings like Raymond/MacArthur.

We sign Clarkson, TB signs Filpulla, Ottawa signs MacArthur, NJ signs Jagr, etc. All for cheaper caphits, all for shorter term, and all performing substantially better.

Our Connolly signing, Komisarek signing, Armstrong signing, etc. Pretty much any UFA signing where a player made 3M+ are signings that have turned out poorly for us. You really can't do much worse in free agency then this group has done over the past 4-5 years.

Exactly, we've made some incredibly bad UFA signings and trades the past few years.

Too many bad signings has to indicate a problem within your scouting department with your pro scouts. The Rask for Raycroft trade has to be prime example of poor scouting and player evaluation.

I understand MacArthur wasn't going to be used properly by Carlyle, and, he didn't elevate the Senaturds to a playoff spot, however, he sure to hell would have been a better, and cheaper signing for us long term, than that useless plug Clarkson!

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
First thing I do is inform the entire organization that summer vacation hasnt started yet. Then, a mandatory off-site team-building/evaluation retreat where individual player meetings will be held in the presence of Shanny.

If Im Shanny, I conclude by addressing the group after the evaluations have been processed, and letting them all know what is expected going forward in terms of commitment to team success. Anyone not interested in being a pert of the program going forward is invited to have their representative contact me directly and request a trade.

In terms of off-ice personnel, I offer Gary Roberts, Mike Foligno and Joe Nieuwendyk the following positions: Assistant Coach, Assistant Coach and Executive Advisor, respectively.

Jim Hughes is a question mark. There appears to be challenges with regards to young players taking their next steps. I would want insight into why this is the case. Is it a lack of internal competition? quality of talent? mis-management? I like Babcocks' comments about how centre prospects are made to play the wing until they can learn to compete at the NHL level. Id take a similar path of development.

In terms of coaches, I'd go hard after Torts. He's never been at the top of my list, but he possesses the right mix of encouragement and the absolute expectation of excellence required from the players. He takes zero crap, he's honest, and he lets nobody off the hook, regardless of your salary or contract.

In terms of on ice personnel, I'd be inclined to start looking at the likes of Eric Staal, Evander Kane, Taylor Hall, Ryan O'Reilly, PK Subban, and Gallgher. I'd seriously consider moving away from names like Phaneuf, Lupul, Franson, Reimer and Kadri.

I'd look long and hard at bringing all three Staals in if possible. CAR needs a shakeup as bad as Toronto does, and Jordan is your quintessential 2C who can play a 200 foot game. Not sure what Marc would cost, but I'd have that conversation with Slats in NY.

A top line featuring Eric and JvR would be an absolute treat, rivalling Getz/Perry in terms of effectiveness. Add one of Kane or Hall into that equation and your top line is pretty dynamic. Potentially as good as it gets.

Notice no Phil Kessel in that equation. I'm not anti-Phil at all, but you cant pay for a Porsche with peanuts. A deal for both Staals that costs Phaneuf, Kessel and Bozak suits me fine.

Im not going to turn this into a trade proposal. Im only interested in determining the character and quality of the pieces we need to see in Toronto. Eric Staal is a great leader, and a true 1C. Jordan's commitment to defense is second to none.

It wasnt lack of talent that derailed this club; it wasnt lack of intangibles - heart, commitment, character and a degree of selflessness that fosters an all-in mentality that is the hallmark of a champion.

In short, this highly paid, inordinately skilled patchwork group of celebrities dont deserve another chance to get it right. Time to burn it down.

Last time I looked most of that stuff is something the GM does. Did I miss something and did Shanahan take over as GM as well? ;)

Durkin67

Last time I looked most of that stuff is something the GM does. Did I miss something and did Shanahan take over as GM as well? ;)

The GM will report to Shanny, and, with Shanny in charge, he'll be very active in implementing his particular vision. Hes not simply there to evaluate Nonis' input.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
The GM will report to Shanny, and, with Shanny in charge, he'll be very active in implementing his particular vision. Hes not simply there to evaluate Nonis' input.

All decisions flow through Shanahan now, exactly.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
You got it. It's Shanny's vision, not Nonis' that this organization will use as its blueprint.

The vision started last night, Shanahan has begun taking players out for one on one meetings supposedly about the team.

BlT1BpZCAAEuenR.jpg

From last night

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Step 1:
Keep Carlyle as coach.

Step 2:
Trade Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul for 2015 first round picks and other assets.

Step 3:
Tank

Step 4:
Draft McDavid

Step 5:
Fire Carlyle and convince Babcock to work here.

Step 6:
?????

Step 7:
Stanley cup and profit.

Durkin67

The vision started last night, Shanahan has begun taking players out for one on one meetings supposedly about the team.

BlT1BpZCAAEuenR.jpg

From last night

We got the right guy in Shanny. He's intelligent, articulate, and his credibility is unquestionable. We needed a real hockey guy to hold these celebrity underachievers in check.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014

But he does not .. "Hey Nonis, trade for these guys, trade for him and him. Get rid of all those guys.." otherwise what is the point in having Nonis as the GM.

I think people do not realizes what Shanahan's position really is. He is not the one making trades (as the post I originally replied to suggested). But yet it seems 90% of these posts entail "Trade this guy and that guy" He can help set a direction of the team but he is not here to make trades.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
But he does not .. "Hey Nonis, trade for these guys, trade for him and him. Get rid of all those guys.." otherwise what is the point in having Nonis as the GM.

I think people do not realizes what Shanahan's position really is. He is not the one making trades (as the post I originally replied to suggested). But yet it seems 90% of these posts entail "Trade this guy and that guy" He can help set a direction of the team but he is not here to make trades.

You're speculating against what was told to us yesterday. We were made to believe by management that Shanahan is now in on (as well as the final decision in) everything Nonis does. He's the de facto GM of this team just based on accountability alone. All responsibility now truly runs through him.

Durkin67

If you think Shanny isnt going to be 100% involved in determining who fits within his blueprint and who doesn't, your either Dave Nonis' illegitimate love child or youre not paying attention.

Leiwecke made it clear whose team this is. This is the Shanny era, not the Nonis era. Shanny will build and engineer as he sees fit, with Nonis' cooperation, or he'll be looking for a new GM with a similar mindset.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA

Tortsie can't keep a job lately for good reason, he's the last person this team needs.

I don't even know how to address the rest of your post. Blockbuster ****ing deal here, blockbuster ****ing deal there. Lay off the blue koolaid, no team is trading their core of any value for Dion.

What the hell are we giving up for Taylor hall after the blockbuster ****ing deal for the thunder bay population? Hall was top 10 in scoring and a no. 1 overall pick. He ain't moving for Cody Franson and Nazzy in a package deal. Throwing Lupes in the mix won't change it either.

Face it leaf fans, this core is here to stay. Just pray we're able to compete next year, there's no cups coming unless Clarkson becomes a line 1 player.

Durkin67

Tortsie can't keep a job lately for good reason, he's the last person this team needs.

I don't even know how to address the rest of your post. Blockbuster ****ing deal here, blockbuster ****ing deal there. Lay off the blue koolaid, no team is trading their core of any value for Dion.

What the hell are we giving up for Taylor hall after the blockbuster ****ing deal for the thunder bay population? Hall was top 10 in scoring and a no. 1 overall pick. He ain't moving for Cody Franson and Nazzy in a package deal. Throwing Lupes in the mix won't change it either.

Face it leaf fans, this core is here to stay. Just pray we're able to compete next year, there's no cups coming unless Clarkson becomes a line 1 player.

Clearly reading comprehension isnt your strong suit. Im not suggesting blockbuster deals here or there, Im identifying team needs, potentially available pieces I'd be looking at having conversations about, and what outgoing assets with the highest propensity for an equitable return.

This group does not deserve another crack. The pieces are good, just not good together. Based on this, you need to take action, and just because you dont see Phaneuf as a piece with value, that doesnt mean Rutherford in CAR concurs. EDM is loaded with highly paid youth, but lack maturity and leadership Hall could potentially be had. WPG is reportedly at a crossroads with Kane.

I love caustic replies like yours which offer no solution, only criticism, usually, pretty flimsy criticism. Grow a set and show us your solution.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Nonis has a conflict of interest giving advice regarding Phaneuf and Clarkson as he was the architect of their bad contracts. Hopefully Shanahan will not be unduly influenced by his lieutenant when it comes to dealing with those two.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Who is the chubby guy, in the middle?

My first thought was, uh Kadri added some weigth.

But on topic, i think Nonis is not the ideal guy for the GM position, but now is not the right time to fire him.
Some may think the sooner the better, but there is too much to do do this offseason and a risk to add the search for a new guy to this.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nonis has a conflict of interest giving advice regarding Phaneuf and Clarkson as he was the architect of their bad contracts. Hopefully Shanahan will not be unduly influenced by his lieutenant when it comes to dealing with those two.

I don't think you understand what that means.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Gary Roberts ‏@GaryRobertsHPT 20m
Congrats to my buddy and #ProvenChampion @NHLShanahan on his new role with the #Toronto @MapleLeafs. It's only a matter of time…

hmmm does this mean anything? Would love Roberts working with the leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad