You're Brendan Shanahan. What do you do?

BernierWall

Oct 15, 2010
Armchair GM's:

Trade Phaneuf for whatever humanly possible. If not, strip him of his captaincy and make his life so uncomfortable and unwanted (our job) that it'll encourage him to ask for a trade or go to the KHL, waive his contract a la Kovy and make $10m/yr tax free for eternity. Trade Clarkson back to NJ and eat a couple million/yr on his mistake. Fire Randy and the whole lot of coaches, clean house on our scouts and bring in the best. Overpay, do whatever it takes. Scouts, trainers, psychologists, hell, bring in Anthony Robbins. Spend to the cows come home on the best people not hindered by the cap. Then start at the top and build down with talented people with crystal clear vision. Ask ourselves, why isn't Gary Roberts on full time pay roll at whatever it would take to get him here and no longer training any other players (all of whom flourish in the NHL). Make him assistant coach. Bring in a guy like (not saying HIM) Jeff Blashill to coach. Young, extremely bright and can RELATE to the younger players. Someone who will track analytics with the most high powered team of analytics nerds in the NHL. The only players I'd say are untouchable, although for the right deal, anyone can be had. Bernier, Reilly, Kessel and JVR. I'd love to see Kessel squirm the first day of training camp when Gary Roberts enters the room.

LeafsFIO*

I start working with opposing executives right away and try to find a way into the top-two to get Ekblad. That's the kind of big splash we need.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Take the time between now and the end of the Playoffs to assess every aspect of the Team.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
First thing he needs to do is sit in on EVERY end of season interview with every single player & coach, and then go have a closed door meeting with Leiweke and discuss what he observed; including his evaluation of Nonis.

If there are bad apples in the locker room, Shanahan, having a fresh perspective, will be able to spot them right away.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
First thing he needs to do is sit in on EVERY end of season interview with every single player & coach, and then go have a closed door meeting with Leiweke and discuss what he observed; including his evaluation of Nonis.

If there are bad apples in the locker room, Shanahan, having a fresh perspective, will be able to spot them right away.

I thought Shanahan had total control? IMO, this is bad if he has to run things past a non hockey guy.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i think you are confusing shanny's role. most of the stuff you posted is up to the gm. i believe he'd have to fire nonis and temporarily take over.

BernierWall

Oct 15, 2010
i think you are confusing shanny's role. most of the stuff you posted is up to the gm. i believe he'd have to fire nonis and temporarily take over.

Im going on the assumption that Shanahan won't take much stock in what Nonis is offering and will be shown the door eventually. His judgement clearly needs to be questioned with his mix-bag of success. Bernier - great trade (but how much of this was Lieweki?) Clarkson and Phaneuf - worthy of being fired over.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'd clean house and hire my own people , time for a fresh start with people who have no ties to the current group of players .

The teams isn't going anywhere with this current core and i'd make moves with an eye to try to contend for a cup in 3-4 years .

First move would be to trade DP , over rated/over paid . Hopefully there's someone out there stupid enough to take this turd .

ForSpareParts*

No. There is no way he is in that position to concentrate on marketing, PR, etc. Yes he is the figurehead, but he'll have his fingerprints all over this team.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
I thought Shanahan had total control? IMO, this is bad if he has to run things past a non hockey guy.

He will have to report to him at some point and bounce things off somebody. The reason I said Leiweke is because he should be evaluating Nonis as well and not bouncing things off him. Shanahan will have control, but shouldn't have to do it on his own.

ForSpareParts*

Questions:

1. Was Shanahan transparent enough for you yesterday? To me he didn't give the media anything to chew on. We have no idea what he's going to do. All we know is that he's going to do something. "Evaluate" is too vague Mr. Shanny.

2. Did Nonis neglect this team as they plummeted in order to make the Shanahan hiring work?

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I start working with opposing executives right away and try to find a way into the top-two to get Ekblad. That's the kind of big splash we need.

Who trades it? Assuming the draft stays the same do we deal within the division or hope Florida does? No way Buffalo does.. If I'm Edmonton, I'd look to trade up and they can beat our offer

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Start from the top, and purge everyone. Set your own team in place. Enough of this inheriting of people.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He will have to report to him at some point and bounce things off somebody. The reason I said Leiweke is because he should be evaluating Nonis as well and not bouncing things off him. Shanahan will have control, but shouldn't have to do it on his own.

I guess I misunderstood your post.

As long as Shanahan sets the direction and doesn't need approval to do so, all is good. He can talk to whoever he likes.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
I'm sorry I haven't been folling this story as much as I should have but isn't Shanahan going to be President or something? Isn't Nonis still the GM?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm sorry I haven't been folling this story as much as I should have but isn't Shanahan going to be President or something? Isn't Nonis still the GM?

Some people can't seem to understand the concept behind the hiring.

Nonis is still the GM.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011

Nonis reports to Shanahan, Shanahan will have final say. That is if Nonis sticks around. And that to me is the first step, see how Nonis handles and evaluates the players and coaches, and go from there.

If Nonis and Shanny click, Shanny will likely trust Nonis' decision making and all will be hunky dory

LeafsFIO*

Who trades it? Assuming the draft stays the same do we deal within the division or hope Florida does? No way Buffalo does.. If I'm Edmonton, I'd look to trade up and they can beat our offer

Why wouldn't Buffalo trade it? They're loaded with prospects and could have two top-five picks. I could see Edmonton although they need an Ekblad. I'd go after Florida. We'll obviously see after the lottery, though.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Why wouldn't Buffalo trade it? They're loaded with prospects and could have two top-five picks. I could see Edmonton although they need an Ekblad. I'd go after Florida. We'll obviously see after the lottery, though.

Buffalo only has one top 5 pick, Islanders are most likely giving up their first next year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If I were Brendan Shanahan I would first want to build a management team that I trusted and relied on and everything else flows downhill from there in the decision making process.

Burke did the same thing by bringing in his own guys Nonis, Poulin, Loiselle etc.

Its common practice in business throughout that a change at the top has a trickle down effect on all those reporting to him.

LeafsFIO*

Buffalo only has one top 5 pick, Islanders are most likely giving up their first next year.

I've heard rumblings -- take them at face value -- that the Isles may bite the bullet and give up their first this year, not wanting to risk giving up a McDavid/Eichel/Konecny to the Sabres. Cause really, I'd take any of those guys over Reinhart or Bennett in a heartbeat. Again, face value, it's very possible they give Buffalo the pick this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad