You're Brendan Shanahan. What do you do?

Kyle Doobas*

I agree with Mess in the fact that the focus for Shanahan should primarily be on co-cohesiveness and unity from the Front Office right down to the AHL level.

- Clean house by removing Nonis and the multiple layers of unnecessary management in place. Have a very simple infrastructure where the players can simply follow the guidance.

- I don't think your scouting group can be removed at this point, but it'll be an area of focus through next season and after the draft.

- Remove Carlyle and the entire coaching staff.

- Bring in DeBoer (if he's not re-signed) to work with Spott at the NHL level.

- Have a new AHL coach brought in with the same views of DeBoer and Spott.

- Review player personnel prior to the draft and move the rights to Franson and Reimer for picks.

- Attempt to re-sign Bolland (3C), McClement (4C) and Kulemin (3W) at a reasonable cost and defined role. If their price tag exceeds their roles then they should walk. Highly doubtful any of these players return with their current asking prices.

- Put faith in Rielly/Gardiner as Top 4 defenders.

- Explore moving both Lupul and Phaneuf, as their movement would create the biggest culture shock in the Leafs dressing room. Clarkson's contract is nearly immovable and the JVR/Bozak/Kessel line is seemingly here to stay.

- Let the kids battle for spots in camp. The Leafs Top 6 forward slots are essentially locked up salary wise, as well as their Top 4 spots on the blueline, but having an influx of youth and internal competition battle it out for sheltered minutes is a positive thing. Kenny Ryan, Jerry D'Amigo, Peter Holland, Carter Ashton, Tyler Biggs, Granberg Leivo, Devane, Broll and Carrick could all potential find themselves a role on this team with a positive camp.

- I would not be looking to tank, just to get the near ready NHL youth in the system some real experience. Sink or swim.

- If the cost effective youth movement fails, then the Leafs will continue in a clear direction with yet another high pick in a very talented draft.
Agreed on every point. :clap:

Who would be at the top of your list if DeBoer is re-signed, though? Trotz, I'm guessing?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Agreed on every point. :clap:

Who would be at the top of your list if DeBoer is re-signed, though? Trotz, I'm guessing?

Yes, I think Trotz would be an interesting fit.

He doesn't exactly have the pieces to implement a system like he had in Nashville, but he could potentially have them coming through the system.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
- Fire coaching staff. Hire Trotz. Guy Boucher or Kevin Dineen if not. Promote Spott into an assistant role with the big club.

- Address the scouting staff, both Pro and Amateur.

- Move Franson, Reimer and Gleason at the draft for picks and prospects.

- Make an effort to move Clarkson. Likely stuck with him.

- Let all the UFA's walk, unless they're willing to sign sweetheart deals. There are comparable players available in free agency. Explore moving their rights.

- Explore moving Joffrey Lupul. Preferably for a D-man.

- Bring Komarov and Hartikainen back to North America.

- Push hard to acquire a top-5 pick, without attaching a core player to #8.

- Fill holes through free agency and internal promotion. No long term contracts. Max 3 years.

- Holland, Ashton and D'Amigo up. With a spot, maybe two left open for more Marlies.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
If I were Shanny the perfect 1st significant move would be to secure a young franchise player, in other words, move up in the draft top 3 maybe top 5...get a player like Ekblad, Reinhart, or Bennett to build around...that would be a great starting point for Shanny, assuming he hasn't rigged the lottery.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
he was on the ice for less goals than Chara and other elite defensemen.

Hating on Phaneuf for an awful top 6 defensmen isnt gonna solve anything, he had no support.

Reilly+ Gardiner = awful defense

Franson = sole reason for 2+ goals against a game

Gleason+Ranger = bottom pairing Dmen

Gunnar was the only form of support.

Show me because i'm not sure that is even possible considering Chara's on ice SV% vs Phaneuf's and the amount of shots we allow

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Strip Phaneuf of his captaincy.
Remove anyone who's been with the organization for the past 6+ years to rid ourselves of the losing culture.
Bring in Detroit's scouts

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
fire everyone

hire best gm ever
work with gm to hire the rest of the front office hire the best everywhere

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

He doesn't exactly have the pieces to implement a system like he had in Nashville, but he could potentially have them coming through the system.

Hasn't Trotz changed his system in Nashville a few times? I don't think he's like Carlyle, who just rams his system into a team that doesn't fit well.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Hasn't Trotz changed his system in Nashville a few times? I don't think he's like Carlyle, who just rams his system into a team that doesn't fit well.

I think you nailed it here.

He's apparently made tweaks to his system, now I'll admit I don't watch much Predator games but as you suggested, he's allegedly not the type that is going to try and jam a team with something that's just not working.

That's why I think it would be an interesting fit if DeBoer indeed re-signs in New Jersey. I do think despite what Dreger and Friedman say that there's still a chance of him being Toronto bound but it sounds as if his stay in New Jersey isn't as hopeless as it once was.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
A lot the stuff in this thread is player moves, but that isn't what Shanahan is here for. He's here to build a stronger organization that will in turn produce those hopefully successful player moves.

If I'm Shanny, I'm looking around the league for the best candidates to replace those I don't like out of the Poulin/Loiselle/Kaspar/Morrison cabal that is at the top of the Leafs structure in terms of team management and scouting. We're looking at a decade of failure here and Nonis sticking around won't save a lot of the other guys. Shanahan will want his own people in a lot of these positions.

From there it moves down into the amateur/development side. I don't know what conclusion Shanahan will come to, but given the results of our scouting and development programs I'm of the mind we need a change top to bottom in that department and I think he'll agree.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Start scouting and getting opinions on assistant coaches from Detroit, STL, LAK, Blackhawks etc (pretty much every good team in the league). Try to beef up some of the scouting. Then try to figure whats going in the locker room and fix it somehow. Thats pretty much it.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If I'm Shanahan I'm working with Nonis to see if I can move up as far as I can in the draft. The Leafs need an impact young player in the system. If that doesn't work, I'd try and get Staal out of Carolina, speculation was he's available. I'd move as many players on this roster out and bring in as many new faces I can. The culture of this team needs a house cleaning. I'm including Dion in this as well.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
A lot the stuff in this thread is player moves, but that isn't what Shanahan is here for. He's here to build a stronger organization that will in turn produce those hopefully successful player moves.

If I'm Shanny, I'm looking around the league for the best candidates to replace those I don't like out of the Poulin/Loiselle/Kaspar/Morrison cabal that is at the top of the Leafs structure in terms of team management and scouting. We're looking at a decade of failure here and Nonis sticking around won't save a lot of the other guys. Shanahan will want his own people in a lot of these positions.

From there it moves down into the amateur/development side. I don't know what conclusion Shanahan will come to, but given the results of our scouting and development programs I'm of the mind we need a change top to bottom in that department and I think he'll agree.

You're right but Shanahan is also here to change the team not just the scouting/executives. He's here to oversee everything and everyone specifically Nonis. I would hate to be Nonis right now, he's technically the GM but he's going to have Shanahan following him around all the time. He has a very short leash. Shanahan told the players to expect changes, so it's not just on the executive and scouting level with Shanny.

Leafspoison*

Litterally trade everyone for picks and prospects this year and next year. Then, tank for McDavid next season while trading pieces to as many teams next year who you think may also be near the bottom.

Then, build around McDavid and in a few years.....contend.

I would only keep our only franchise guy that we have and that is Reilly and possibly JVR.

Kessel-3 firsts and possibly good prospect. He has accomplished a lot but will be aging by the time we contend
Jvr-2 firsts and a second
Bozak-Late 1st
Lupul-Late 1st
Kadri-first and prospect

The rest you trade for other picks and prospects.

Keep Reilly

Start a KHL team and send Phaneuf there.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think the first thing you do is fire RC and all coaching staff associated with Burke regime.

I think any culture change or fresh start has to start there.

Look what Roy has done with Rado. New coach can have a profound effect on a team actually.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Show me because i'm not sure that is even possible considering Chara's on ice SV% vs Phaneuf's and the amount of shots we allow

Dion was on the ice for 101 goals against (ES, PK, PP) ranked 8th in the league.

Chara was on the ice for 72 goals against (ES, PK, PP) ranked 87th in the league.

Weber was however on the ice for 101 goals as well (ES, PK, PP) ranking him 7th in the league. So yeah, Dion is equal to Weber... :sarcasm:

But then one should consider that Weber plays 26:54 minutes on average per game. Ranking him 4th in the league for TOI/G. His ES TOI is 21:10 minutes per game on average (ranking him 3rd).

Chara played on average 24:39 minutes per game (ranked 14th). 19:02 minutes being ES (22nd ranked).

Dion played on average 23:33 minutes per game (ranked 33rd). 17:27 minutes being ES (ranked 85th).

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I honestly think RC and Wilson were both bad hires.

Neither were the right man for a team still so young and lacking structure/leadership.

We need to find our Patrick Roy. Shanny's most important decision this offseason imo.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I think you nailed it here.

He's apparently made tweaks to his system, now I'll admit I don't watch much Predator games but as you suggested, he's allegedly not the type that is going to try and jam a team with something that's just not working.

That's why I think it would be an interesting fit if DeBoer indeed re-signs in New Jersey. I do think despite what Dreger and Friedman say that there's still a chance of him being Toronto bound but it sounds as if his stay in New Jersey isn't as hopeless as it once was.

How is Trotz with young players though?

A lot of our team is young, and I mostly see Trotz relying on veterans on the Nashville squad.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Armchair GM's:

Trade Phaneuf for whatever humanly possible. If not, strip him of his captaincy and make his life so uncomfortable and unwanted (our job) that it'll encourage him to ask for a trade or go to the KHL, waive his contract a la Kovy and make $10m/yr tax free for eternity. Trade Clarkson back to NJ and eat a couple million/yr on his mistake. Fire Randy and the whole lot of coaches, clean house on our scouts and bring in the best. Overpay, do whatever it takes. Scouts, trainers, psychologists, hell, bring in Anthony Robbins. Spend to the cows come home on the best people not hindered by the cap. Then start at the top and build down with talented people with crystal clear vision. Ask ourselves, why isn't Gary Roberts on full time pay roll at whatever it would take to get him here and no longer training any other players (all of whom flourish in the NHL). Make him assistant coach. Bring in a guy like (not saying HIM) Jeff Blashill to coach. Young, extremely bright and can RELATE to the younger players. Someone who will track analytics with the most high powered team of analytics nerds in the NHL. The only players I'd say are untouchable, although for the right deal, anyone can be had. Bernier, Reilly, Kessel and JVR. I'd love to see Kessel squirm the first day of training camp when Gary Roberts enters the room.

Kadri trained with Roberts a couple years ago, so it's not like he wouldn't be willing to train under him.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Kadri trained with Roberts a couple years ago, so it's not like he wouldn't be willing to train under him.

I don't get why Gary Roberts is a fitness god around here, I'm sure most top work out coaches follow very similar routines and diets. I'd be shocked if the staff the leafs currently have weren't world class athletic trainers.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
I would get rid of Phaneuf, Franson, Lupul, Raymond, McClement, Orr and Reimer. Get decent young players or any kind of picks for them.

Promote some marlies, fill others with low key free agent signing.

That should get rid of a lot of the losers on our team. Then do a proper rebuild, building through the draft and trades.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
So Dave Nonis got fired and Brendan replaced him?

Bumped for justice.

Guys, (ITT especially) Shanny is NOT the GM of this team lol, he's not making all these player decisions himself. Nonis and his team are still incharge of player personnel, just with a boss who has his own opinions and the final say in decisions.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

Trotz Possession stats don't scare you in their similarities to RC's? I just think W/O Deboer coming we are better suited going the AHL route ala Blashill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad