Post-Game Talk: You're a mean one, puck luck: Jets lose in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Elbowed to the face might have something to do with it.

lol, seriously?? Guy was hanging on trouba so he gave him a quick no-look elbow to try and throw him off. Unfortunately the Av player was leaning down a bit and it caught him in the face...shouldn't even have been a penalty.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
lol, seriously?? Guy was hanging on trouba so he gave him a quick no-look elbow to try and throw him off. Unfortunately the Av player was leaning down a bit and it caught him in the face...shouldn't even have been a penalty.

Yes it should have been a penalty. Calling it dirty is overreacting but calling it no penalty is overreacting the other way.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Not that I don't think Buff played a role in the winning Avs goal...but if Buff goes in and crushes Duchesne into the boards with a clean hit we'd have been looking at an Avs powerplay in OT, no question about it. Somebody smaller than Buff makes the hit and no call.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Yes it should have been a penalty. Calling it dirty is overreacting but calling it no penalty is overreacting the other way.

My thoughts as well. There was no need for Trouba to do any elbow actions at all but MacKinnon sold it quite nicely.

Two for Trouba for elbowing and two for MacKinnon for unsportsman like acting would have been the best call, IMO. I don't really hold it against MacKinnon though.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Trouba's elbow was definitely a penalty, but it was also an embellishment from MacKinnon. The head snap looked really unnatural on the replay.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah I realize it was going to be called no matter what, I just think avs fans should be well satisfied with that. It was pretty close to being incidental contact afaic...

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Trouba's elbow was definitely a penalty, but it was also an embellishment from MacKinnon. The head snap looked really unnatural on the replay.

THANK YOU! I'm usually not a good call on penalties but I thought to myself "okay that was an elbow so penalty warranted, but that head snap and spin was an embellishment if ever I saw one." I thought they both should have been in the box. And I don't think Mackinnon is a whiner/diver/whatever but on that play he could have been called for something, in my opinion.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Yeah it sucks. But not as much as losing to the isles and sens...

Agreed. I say if we miss the playoff it falls back on that Isles game that we definitely should have won. Then we might have had more energy/motivation for the next game (Kings, which I am fine losing to the Kings). Then we should have played better against the Sens as well and could have had a bit more confidence going into last night. I think the way we played last night we deserved to win but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah I realize it was going to be called no matter what, I just think avs fans should be well satisfied with that. It was pretty close to being incidental contact afaic...

The live feed didn't really show it but Trouba threw his elbow around as the camera was going up ice. That's a penalty no matter the reaction of the other player.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Blah. Carried the play in OT, played well during the game. Crappy way to end things.

That is why they should get rid of OT shootouts. :thumbd:

Have a 5 minute OT and if it ends in a tie, well then a tie is a tie..... It was all good up until the shootout was introduced in the 05-06 season. Get rid of it..... it sucks especially if you lose to a division or conference member team...

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If someone is calling that Trouba elbow "dirty" than I don't think whatever else they have to say matters all that much...sounds like a hockey mom haha

Weird, I figured the Avs fans would know a thing or two about rough playoff style hockey from back in the day...

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
That is why they should get rid of OT shootouts. :thumbd:

Have a 5 minute OT and if it ends in a tie, well then a tie is a tie..... It was all good up until the shootout was introduced in the 05-06 season. Get rid of it..... it sucks especially if you lose to a division or conference member team...

I hate ties. It's no fun when you are at the game. I went to a UND game that ended in a tie and it just wasn't satisfying. I want the 5 min 4on4 and then 3on3 for 5.

Don't think it happens though.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Fun stuff on the main boards. Avs fans complaining about the Jets being dirty, neutral fans pointing out that their little phenom looked like he were practicing for the Canadian diving team.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
None that I can find yet - I'll create a gif when the 48hr blackout is over on GameCentre.

Much appreciated YWGinYYZ

someone on the main boards capped one already

mtw4lh.gif

it does look unnatural but also doesn't look like a total dive (at least going by the lack of time between hit and reaction)
it's just weird looking

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
mtw4lh.gif

An elbow is an elbow, generally speaking. Trouba swung his elbow back in the direction of another opponent, regardless of MacKinnon's actions, the elbow was blatant and clear. And, in my opinion, using your elbow is classified as "dirty", same goes for sticking your knee out; don't do it. There are certain parts of your body that in this game are prohibited from using to make contact, elbows and knees fall in to that category.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The live feed didn't really show it but Trouba threw his elbow around as the camera was going up ice. That's a penalty no matter the reaction of the other player.

yeah I saw the elbow. I just think Mckinnon was holding Trouba from getting back up the ice and Trouba was primarily trying to get free of him.

Heh, seeing that gif it looks worse than when I saw the replay. Yeah, definitely an elbow...not a deadly blow by any means. However, why was that not holding on Mckinnon? Troub's is getting a nice little bear hug there... :)

LOL, the more I watch that gif the funnier it looks. Looks like Mckinnon is trying to do something...err...immoral to trouba and Troub's gives him a "get the fack off me" elbow.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Should have kept the gif going so you can see MacKinnon looking in the direction of the ref waiting for the call to be made.

Penalty for both on the play and be done with it. The refs didn't want to call anything against the Avs all night, they held on for dear life and got friendly calls all night.

If he really got elbowed hard it would have hurt and hurt bad. The fact that he got up after the call was made and was back out there for the PP makes it a bogus call

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
So funny reading the Avs game thread - man you`d think we were the second-coming of the broadstreet bullies.

And the belly-aching about the reffing - I guess a 6-1 PP advantage that the Avs enjoyed despite being outplayed all night just wasn`t quite good enough [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad