Post-Game Talk: You're a mean one, puck luck: Jets lose in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
My question: do you think that other teams will start seeing the Jets as a dirty team? Those of us who watch every game and post here know that the Jets seem to get an abnormally large of phantom calls, and teams seem to get away with a lot. I have heard announcers say that the Jets take a lot of penalties, because they do - which is sometimes not even their fault. I'd like to be a tough team to play against, not a dirty one though.

Maybe every fan has this worry about their team though.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
someone on the main boards capped one already

mtw4lh.gif

wow
so elbow
very dive
much embellish
wow

it does look unnatural but also doesn't look like a total dive (at least going by the lack of time between hit and reaction)
it's just weird looking

You would think he'd be a little more shaken up if it was a hard elbow to the chops. MacKinnon looked like Claude Lemieux circa 1997 in that clip.

Anyway, the minor penalty to Trouba was enough. Ridiculous that a few people on the main board were suggesting that Trouba would be getting a call from the NHL and possible fine.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
No question on the elbow. 2 minutes, easy.

I'm sure MacKinnon was shocked by the impact. But the contention on the main board that getting hit in the face makes you throw your head back is a little odd. Sure, that happens, but not in slow motion, whereby your head moves a little and then you subsequently fall like a mostly-chopped tree. If you get hit hard, your head snaps back quick and that just doesn't happen. Yeah, he reacts but not quite right.

I've got a bit of an issue with his hands being around Trouba for the length of time as well. Along the boards, fine, but they come off and MacKinnon takes a couple of little push steps while still impeding Trouba's progress. If you want to do that, you're going to get something in return for your efforts. Last night it was Trouba's elbow.

As for the Jets being dirty? No, not really. Penalized a lot? Yes, but much of it is poor decision making (late hits) and trying to make up for being lazy or out of position. I do think we get called for an inordinate amount of minor penalties that could be let go and aren't similarly called on other teams in the same game, but I think most fans think that about their team.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It reminded me of Mike Smith. Luckily a guy on the main boards informed me that when the head is touched in hockey, it's impossible to embellish, because... I don't know really.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No question on the elbow. 2 minutes, easy.

I'm sure MacKinnon was shocked by the impact. But the contention on the main board that getting hit in the face makes you throw your head back is a little odd. Sure, that happens, but not in slow motion, whereby your head moves a little and then you subsequently fall like a mostly-chopped tree. If you get hit hard, your head snaps back quick and that just doesn't happen. Yeah, he reacts but not quite right.

I've got a bit of an issue with his hands being around Trouba for the length of time as well. Along the boards, fine, but they come off and MacKinnon takes a couple of little push steps while still impeding Trouba's progress. If you want to do that, you're going to get something in return for your efforts. Last night it was Trouba's elbow.

As for the Jets being dirty? No, not really. Penalized a lot? Yes, but much of it is poor decision making (late hits) and trying to make up for being lazy or out of position. I do think we get called for an inordinate amount of minor penalties that could be let go and aren't similarly called on other teams in the same game, but I think most fans think that about their team.

The embellishment was in the full twist to land on his stomach after the head snap. That sort of reaction happens all the time in hockey, but you don't need to swirl around and fall on the ice to make it seem like you might be really hurt, when you're not.

Simple play.... MacKinnon and Trouba had collided a couple of times, and then MacKinnon was hanging onto Trouba like a parasite to keep him from joining the rush. Trouba gave him a stiff elbow that should give him a bit of room next time MacKinnon wants to try that sort of tactic.

The more egregious whine was when that big lug tried to paste Enstrom in the corner and ended up with something hitting his nose. The guy dropped his gloves on the ice and whined to the ref as though he expected some sort of call.

Anyone on the Avs board discussing the blatant interference on Seto on the face-off for the 2-2 score?

What about the blatant hook on Buff in the slot just before Slater's goalie interference penalty?

I didn't think so... :shakehead

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
That was a very entertaining game last night and we came up a little short.

Lets get a win against the Canucks on Wednesday!

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
My question: do you think that other teams will start seeing the Jets as a dirty team? Those of us who watch every game and post here know that the Jets seem to get an abnormally large of phantom calls, and teams seem to get away with a lot. I have heard announcers say that the Jets take a lot of penalties, because they do - which is sometimes not even their fault. I'd like to be a tough team to play against, not a dirty one though.

Maybe every fan has this worry about their team though.

We're not a dirty team, but perhaps a chippy team. Which I have no problem with. When some of your best players are guys like Ladd, Kane, Buff, Bogosian, and Trouba, things will be physical. Loved last night when Ladd shoved that Avs player down for standing over the top of Montoya. The way it should be.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I thought the effort and battle was great. Lots of A games, just one bad bounce in overtime. It happens sometimes. All we can hope for is a clean win against the Canucks to keep some hope alive down the stretch. Thats all I ask for at this point is limit the meaningless games please.

A little OT, but Little broke his career high in points tonight, and total season assist high. And is now re leading the Jets in points. Is in 30th in the league in points. He must be the least heard about/ underrated 50+ point player in the league. Has a decent shot at putting up 60.

This is true, I didn't even realize this! He sure flies under everyone's radar.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
yeah I saw the elbow. I just think Mckinnon was holding Trouba from getting back up the ice and Trouba was primarily trying to get free of him.

Heh, seeing that gif it looks worse than when I saw the replay. Yeah, definitely an elbow...not a deadly blow by any means. However, why was that not holding on Mckinnon? Troub's is getting a nice little bear hug there... :)

LOL, the more I watch that gif the funnier it looks. Looks like Mckinnon is trying to do something...err...immoral to trouba and Troub's gives him a "get the fack off me" elbow.

That's exactly what it looked like. If you don't want an elbow, don't try humping trouba.... he doesn't like it. :laugh:

Definitely a trouba penalty though....

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
We're not a dirty team, but perhaps a chippy team. Which I have no problem with. When some of your best players are guys like Ladd, Kane, Buff, Bogosian, and Trouba, things will be physical. Loved last night when Ladd shoved that Avs player down for standing over the top of Montoya. The way it should be.

This. Then you won't get beat up like Vancouver did against Boston in the finals.

Darth Handsome*

That's the best fan footage since the glass licker in Carolina.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Avalanche fan here (but, also a Jets season ticket holder). I hope I don't get flamed too much here. But, I must say that I was markedly impressed by both teams. The Avalanche played short handed with 10 forwards (Stastny and Parenteau being injured) and were coming off an emotional loss to St. Louis. Winnipeg was definitely trying to take some liberties with the Avalanche players (especially Varlamov). They fought through this adversity and came out with a win.

But, Winnipeg played well on the PK. Scored on their PP. Have really fast players on the wing that tested the Avalanche defense. The Jets have a lot of big players. Winnipeg clearly has a talented enough team to make noise if they can get some consistent goaltending now that coaching seems to be solidified.

I just hope both fan bases can somehow get along without trashing each other (especially when I visit Winnipeg). Cheers. :)

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Avalanche fan here (but, also a Jets season ticket holder). I hope I don't get flamed too much here. But, I must say that I was markedly impressed by both teams. The Avalanche played short handed with 10 forwards (Stastny and Parenteau being injured) and were coming off an emotional loss to St. Louis. Winnipeg was definitely trying to take some liberties with the Avalanche players (especially Varlamov). They fought through this adversity and came out with a win.

But, Winnipeg played well on the PK. Scored on their PP. Have really fast players on the wing that tested the Avalanche defense. The Jets have a lot of big players. Winnipeg clearly has a talented enough team to make noise if they can get some consistent goaltending now that coaching seems to be solidified.

I just hope both fan bases can somehow get along without trashing each other (especially when I visit Winnipeg). Cheers. :)

suggest you go have a talk with some of the whiners on the Avs site who think the jets are the broad street bullies 2

Whileee

May 29, 2010
suggest you go have a talk with some of the whiners on the Avs site who think the jets are the broad street bullies 2

:laugh::laugh:

Exactly. A lot of the posters there are acting like the Jets are some sort of goon squad. In truth, most of the penalties were ticky-tacky stick fouls. Most of the physical play from the Jets was from some of their best players - Kane, Trouba, Ladd, etc.

By the way, did anyone notice that big lug Bordeleau trying to run Enstrom from behind? He mostly missed Enstrom and injured his face. He flopped to his knees, threw off his gloves and whined at the referee.

If the Avs think last night's game was too physical, they are going to get a rude awakening in the playoffs. They certainly aren't going to get the type of reffing they got last night.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
:laugh::laugh:

Exactly. A lot of the posters there are acting like the Jets are some sort of goon squad. In truth, most of the penalties were ticky-tacky stick fouls. Most of the physical play from the Jets was from some of their best players - Kane, Trouba, Ladd, etc.

By the way, did anyone notice that big lug Bordeleau trying to run Enstrom from behind? He mostly missed Enstrom and injured his face. He flopped to his knees, threw off his gloves and whined at the referee.

If the Avs think last night's game was too physical, they are going to get a rude awakening in the playoffs. They certainly aren't going to get the type of reffing they got last night.

Bordeleau got clipped in the nose after the collision. They showed the replay on Pepsi vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad