Your UFA Wishlist

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Who are you hoping TOR signs in the free agency "frenzy" coming up?

And, aside from just a specific name or two, what type of signing do you want them to make?

Big Fish?
Complimentary player?
Former Leaf re-tread?
Vet leader?
Depth player?
Reclamation project?
Scrap heap?
Stand pat?

What's your preference?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I hope they're not planning on any big fish signings. And it's not like there's cap space for one, even if they wanted to.

I'd go after reclamation projects mostly. (And perhaps re-sign Schenn or ROR.)

Ekman-Larsson would be fun for cheap.
Would Lucic be crazy?
Sam Gagner seems to be everyone's best friend. Maybe that's a glue guy a team can use.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Big picture - Matthews and Nylander are the priorities so without knowing what happens there, we don't know how much cap space we have so not possible so say much here.

I guess we have cap space for Schenn so let's do that.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
One of Mayfield, Soucy, Graves would fill a need. Maybe Hamonic.

Connor Brown seems like a good candidate to take a discounted 1 year contract.

Reactions: banks

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I hope they're not planning on any big fish signings. And it's not like there's cap space for one, even if they wanted to.

I'd go after reclamation projects mostly. (And perhaps re-sign Schenn or ROR.)

Ekman-Larsson would be fun for cheap.
Would Lucic be crazy?
Sam Gagner seems to be everyone's best friend. Maybe that's a glue guy a team can use.
Is OEL even a #6 at this point in his career? Honestly asking

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Domi
O'Reilly
Mayfield
Perry
Lemieux
Schenn
Hägg
Hayden💪

All G's who'll protect a teammate and help build a proper, more fearless Leafs culture... no more clown cowards like Bunting please...

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

HomelessPepper

Jul 1, 2019
For me, Soucy and Rodrigues are top 2 UFAs I'd target. Mayfield, Schenn, Acciari, Brown, and Comtois all secondary options.

Edit: add Barbashev to the short list of top UFAs I'd target.

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Connor Brown would be great for the 3rd line. Miss him.

Would like Noel Acciari back as well.

Wouldn't mind ROR back but honestly the guy makes John Tavares look like Rico Fata.

Garnett Hathaway wouldn't be a bad get either to add some sandpaper.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Up front in no particular order.

ROR
Domi
Killorn
Hathaway
Perry
Lucic
Comtois
Wood
Wheeler
Towes if he's healthy
Tarasenko
Kane at the right price
Barbashev
Brown
Bertuzzi
Accari

Defense
Soucy
Mayfeild
Dumba at the right price.
Schenn
OEL at the right price

You will notice the forward list is quite extensive and that's because I think that's where the VAST majority of the work needs to be done.

You need at least 1 top 6 forward because even if you think Knies can replace 1 top 6 forward you can't replace both of Bunting and Kerfoot with Matthew Knies so you need at least 1 top 6 forward regardless.

You need a minimum of 3 bottom 6 forwards you got Jarnkrok, Lafferty and MAYBE Holmberg that can fill bottom 6 roles,

On defense I don't think there is nearly as much work to be done, there is some.

Personally I don't mind Reilly, Brodie and McCabe as a trio, and I want Schenn back.

I think there is a hole in the top 4 but there isn't 6 or 7 like there is up front

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Top 4 D - Mayfield, Dumoulin, or Dumba.
Bottom pairing D - one of Schenn or Soucy. Maybe OEL.
Middle 6 winger - Connor Brown. Alternate options of Bunting, Domi, or Rodrigues
Middle 6 centre - ROR or Pius Suter
Depth forwards - Acciari, Comtois, Wood, Kampf, Frederic, Sundquist, etc

All depending on contracts. Need to avoid overpaying - I'm assuming for example Orlov. Bertuzzi, etc will be overpaid.

Reactions: Eric bungay

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Is OEL even a #6 at this point in his career? Honestly asking

Fair question, as he clearly struggled with a top 4 role this year with VAN.

But I think that's a risk worth taking. He still played 20+ minutes a game, sometimes way more. And he has the potential to rebound. That sounds like a good reclamation project.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Fair question, as he clearly struggled with a top 4 role this year with VAN.

But I think that's a risk worth taking. He still played 20+ minutes a game, sometimes way more. And he has the potential to rebound. That sounds like a good reclamation project.

I have a feeling because of his name someone will take a shot at over 3 million (kind of like Strome and WSH)

A lot of people I'd like to add (Bertuzzi, Barbashev, Orlov, Wood, Mayfield), but I think they may get overpaid.

Some players who may be reasonable for what they offer in my opinion are:
Acciari, Soucy, Bjugstad, Eller, Killorn, Donato, Dumoulin, Schenn, Rodrigues, Zucker, Brown.

A lot of 3rd/4th liners, I know, but I think the top end is going to get overpaid by a lot since there are not a lot of them.

If Pacioretty is healthy, I'd look at him too on a "show me" deal.

Another scoring C would be ideal, but not sure one will be available in free agency, I'd also be fine giving Holmberg a look at 3C with Nylander. I think he may surprise a lot of people, he produced well as a 4th liner last year and is defensively responsible.

I'd like to look into Duclair too if he is cheap enough, I think he'd pair well with Tavares, and then we can move Nylander to drive his own line.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I do think Treliving should look to add one higher skill type forward. It can't all be good grunts. Probably an older guy at a lower cost. It's hard to say who? Tomas Tatar? Does Paul Stastny have anything left? Gustav Nyquist?

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Big Fish -> Scott Mayfield
Complimentary player -> Nikita Zadorov
Former Leaf re-tread -> Connor Brown
Vet leader -> Max Pacioretty
Depth player -> Klim Kostin
Reclamation project -> Alex Fomenton (if innocent)
Scrap heap -> Riley Tufte
Stand pat -> Noel Acciari

Reactions: banks

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Ryan Graves and Tyler Bertuzzi are the two I would really like to see them sign.

More realistically it's gonna be another year of scrap heap finds. There isn't enough money for any big names. If they can afford someone like Miles Wood or Jesper Fast I wouldn't mind seeing the Leafs take a chance on those guys.

Hopefully there will be a lineup of UFA's willing to take a hometown discount to come play for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

There must be a former star over 35 they haven't tried yet. Maybe the opportunity to take a pay cut so the core can continue to milk the team for every last cent they can will be irresistible to one of them. One thing we can be sure, whoever it is will be hyped more than whatever rusty piece of junk that guy on American Pickers finds next.

Another Leafs sales job on a player on their way out of the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad