Your thoughts: Paul Stastny to Toronto?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would have voted option 4 - Yes, depending on the cost.

In burke I trust*

I say yes but depending on cost because he is a ufa next offseason and I don't really like the idea of signing both kessel and stastny in the same offseason as both ufa's, most likely wont keep both. If nonnis gets stastny for a reasonable offer I would be really happy.

hockeyfanz*

I don't think that Stastny is a legitimate 1st line center... but he's an upgrade of legendary proportions compared to ahl caliber Bozak.

Sign him.

Getting Bozak off the team and bringing in Statsny can't be a mistake

Astute observations.

Stasny over Bozie improves the club substantially. Unless there is a better centerman available, Nonis has to jump all over this. Cannot stomach another season with Bozak as #1. I'll vomit uncontrollably.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
JVR - Stastny - Kessel, or better yet, Lupul - Stastny - Kessel turns Kessel into a 100 point player, quite easily.

Bozak does nothing but hold Phil back. I like Tyler, and would love him as our 3C, but get him off of Phil's line, PLEASE.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Astute observations.

Stasny over Bozie improves the club substantially. Unless there is a better centerman available, Nonis has to jump all over this. Cannot stomach another season with Bozak as #1. I'll vomit uncontrollably.

I'm sure Kessel and his back to back years in top 10 scoring in the NHL does not agree with you, neither do JVR and Lupul who had career years with this player that makes you vomit uncontrollably.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
JVR - Stastny - Kessel, or better yet, Lupul - Stastny - Kessel turns Kessel into a 100 point player, quite easily.

Bozak does nothing but hold Phil back. I like Tyler, and would love him as our 3C, but get him off of Phil's line, PLEASE.

Holding back Kessel in his back to back top 10 scoring in the NHL? You honestly cant be serious?? I guess Phil on his own can up points? If that were the case, why is it Phil struggles with a better offensvie center in Grabo, yet flourishes with this career AHLer in Bozak?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Would love to have Stastny. He's been on my #1C candidate radar for quite some time now.

He's trapped behind Duchene and O'Reilly on the Colorado center depth chart. For a team with an internal cap and with him on an expiring $6.6M contract, I feel the writing is on the wall that he will not be back by in an Avs uniform in 2014-15. In all likelihood, they will look to trade him.

Stastny's 4 most frequent wingers at even strength this season were Gabriel Landeskog (on a down year), Jamie McGinn, David Jones and Aaron Palushaj. That's just desperate when he could be playing with Phil Kessel, Joffrey Lupul and James van Riemsdyk. This is a playmaking center who has eclipsed 70 points three times in his career with good linemates. He thrilled at the most recent World Championships with 15 points in 10 games. Put him in a situation to succeed and he will.

If the price is reasonable, I feel it's worth paying. Just nothing too over the top, since he is technically a rental. Perhaps we could speak to his people about the framework for an extension before consummating a trade.
Of course this could be part of the trade. For example a 2013 2nd and the 2014 2nd pending him resigning. We have the room for his 6.6 this year and we can reassess at the end of next season.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Holding back Kessel in his back to back top 10 scoring in the NHL? You honestly cant be serious?? I guess Phil on his own can up points? If that were the case, why is it Phil struggles with a better offensvie center in Grabo, yet flourishes with this career AHLer in Bozak?

Phil and Grabovski have basically never played together. A few shifts here and there. Grabo isn't much of a passer, or a simple goal scorer- he's a sniper (not even that, really, anymore). Those aren't the types of players that should be paired together.

How many assists did Bozak get on Phil's goals last year? 4? Oh boy, Bozak sure his elevating him to elite status.

Bozak is a fine player, but he does NOTHING for Kessel. Get Phil a player who can actually pass the puck and put in the easy goals, and you'll see the difference.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

Yes, he and Grabbo struggled In both of those games three years ago.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
So you want to give up assets to acquire a guy that will be our highest paid player at $6.6 million/year and have him potentially exit as a UFA after 1 season.
Coming off 24 points in 40 games.
and 53 and 57 point seasons.
REALLY!!!!
I say he is a amnesty candidate at those $$$

We bring in a guy who is making more than Phil and try to get phil to sign for
a home town discount. If we bring in PS then Phil's agent will want 8m a year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Don't forget Kadri is not a finished product. Bergeron or Krejci at age 22 weren't NEARLY as good as they are now.

Bergeron put up 73 and 70 points in back-to-back seasons as a 20/21 year old.

At age 22, Krejci put up 73 pts.

I think offensively, Kadri is likely to be comparable to these guys. But Bergeron is a Selke winner and Krejci is also among the top two-way centres in the league.

So even if a Kadri/Stastny combo is comparable offensively, it's miles behind defensively.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

thats rediculous

we didn't sign him to that number. colorado did. paul would be an FA, at that point the numbers would better reflect their contributions. phil will get 8, and paul's number will reflect how well he does this coming season.

Geese_Howard*

players going into UFA usually light it up and play amazing.

I saw him at the World's this year and he looked pretty damn good.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For me it depends on what the cost is to trade for him. If Colorado asks for Rielly, Gardiner, or Kadri then I say no deal. However because Stastny can become a UFA after next season and since the Avalanche will need to trade him if they were to draft MacKinnon to replace him at Centre, then I can't see them asking for a lot in return.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

Both their contracts are up at the same time. Statsny won't be making more than Kessel next year. Bringing in Statsny at his current 6.6m has 0 impact in negotiating Kessel's future contract.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He is a good two-way player, good on the boards, great playmaker.

Would be perfect between JVR and Kessel.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I'd much rather Stastny at 6.6 with 1 year remaining than Bozak at 4.5+ long term

If Stastny works great, resign him, if he doesn't you haven't committed yourself long term

Their top 6 is pretty set so assuming they'd be interested in D
maybe something around Gunnar and a prospect (Ashton?)

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Pomminville and a 4th (minus some salary) was traded for 1st, 2nd, Hackett (A- prospect like Kadri a few years back), Larsson (B prospect like Colborne).

That would be like trading 1st, 2nd, Colborne and a very good prospect (Kadri or Gardiner a few years back). I'm not interested at that price.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Pomminville and a 4th (minus some salary) was traded for 1st, 2nd, Hackett (A- prospect like Kadri a few years back), Larsson (B prospect like Colborne).

That would be like trading 1st, 2nd, Colborne and a very good prospect (Kadri or Gardiner a few years back). I'm not interested at that price.

not sure the situations are comparable
Pomm was 1st line and captain of the team

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
thats rediculous

we didn't sign him to that number. colorado did. paul would be an FA, at that point the numbers would better reflect their contributions. phil will get 8, and paul's number will reflect how well he does this coming season.

so what if he puts up 70 points/ can we afford to give him 7M kessel 8M
and dont forget we still have to sign Phaneuf at the same time
Thats a lot of millions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad