Your thoughts: Paul Stastny to Toronto?

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Stastny has just 9 more points than Grabovski the last 3 seasons and we have guys saying lets buy out Grabovski.
Stastny gets more PP time and better scoring wingers, makes $1 million more per season and requires assets to acquire.
NO THANKS.

Stastny has had third line wingers for the last three years.

For three years now he's been stuck behind Duchene and O'Reilly on the depth chart. One could argue that for the last three years, Grabovski has been #1 on the depth chart other than the fact that he doesn't play with Phil Kessel.

Compare the linemates, based off of TOI at behindthenet.ca, between Grabo and Stastny the last three years

Stastny

2012- 2013, David Jones and Jamie McGinn
2011-2012, David Jones and Milan Hejduk
2010-2011, David Jones and Chris Stewart

Grabovski

2012-2013, Nik Kulemin and Jay McClement
2011-2012, Nik Kulemin and Clarke MacArthur
2010-2011, Nik Kulemin and Clarke MacArthur

There is no way in hell that Stastny has had better wingers. In fact, I'd say they have had very comparable ones, and Stastny didn't play in Wilson's defense-free system to boost point totals.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Stastny is a bad contract waiting to happen. He's been living on reputation for years; never seen a player hold credibility without doing a thing for so long.

Last edited:

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Absolutely. He would fit like a glove and put up 60+ points barely trying. He's just as good, if not better, than Bozak on the dot as well. Thats a big improvement for our top line. People are just stuck focusing on his dysmal numbers playing for a dysfunctional offense in Colorado. Take a look at the point totals on that entire roster, Parenteau and Duchene eclipsed 40 points and no one else had more than 24 (Stastny's 24 at that).

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Absolutely. He would fit like a glove and put up 60+ points barely trying. He's just as good, if not better, than Bozak on the dot as well. Thats a big improvement for our top line. People are just stuck focusing on his dysmal numbers playing for a dysfunctional offense in Colorado. Take a look at the point totals on that entire roster, Parenteau and Duchene eclipsed 40 points and no one else had more than 24 (Stastny's 24 at that).
So he hasn't been trying lately then?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As an amateur draft junkie, I wanted our Leafs to draft Paul Stastny with our 1st round pick in 2005, the year the Leafs took Tuukka Rask instead.

Well in fact I wanted Toronto to draft him in 2004, but Stastny dropped out of the draft that year making him ineligible. Draft rules were different back then as players needed to opt in, in order to be eligible if they were 18 years old.

I've scouted him and liked him as a player even before he was drafted while playing in the NCAA.

I think he would be a could fit in Toronto. Peter's boy Paul could always ask his uncle Marian Stastny what its like to play in TO as he played for the Leafs in 1985-86.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Stastny has had third line wingers for the last three years.

For three years now he's been stuck behind Duchene and O'Reilly on the depth chart. One could argue that for the last three years, Grabovski has been #1 on the depth chart other than the fact that he doesn't play with Phil Kessel.

Compare the linemates, based off of TOI at behindthenet.ca, between Grabo and Stastny the last three years

Stastny

2012- 2013, David Jones and Jamie McGinn
2011-2012, David Jones and Milan Hejduk
2010-2011, David Jones and Chris Stewart

Grabovski

2012-2013, Nik Kulemin and Jay McClement
2011-2012, Nik Kulemin and Clarke MacArthur
2010-2011, Nik Kulemin and Clarke MacArthur

There is no way in hell that Stastny has had better wingers. In fact, I'd say they have had very comparable ones, and Stastny didn't play in Wilson's defense-free system to boost point totals.

So we should pay the 3rd line centre from the last place team $6.5 million and throw in a couple players too...

Grapes03

Feb 27, 2012
Absolutely no Stastny.

Why? His cap hit for one, but more importantly.... he is a slow skater compared to our other top forwards.
Say what you want about Bozak and Grabo, but they are quick and keep up with our fast attack.
The Leafs' team speed is one of our few advantages over other opponents. Even Sidney Crosby said we are hard to play against because of our team speed.
With Stastny (likely) anchoring on our first or second line, it would hamper our attack, regardless of his (perceived) skill.

Leafs should save themselves the trouble and avoid Stastny.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Toronto the new United Nations.

JVR -- Stastny -- Kessel = (USA Line)
Lupul -- Kadri -- Clarkson = (Canada Line)
XXXX -- Grabovski -- Kulemin = (Euro Line)

Chemistry created via combining countrymen.

:D

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Stastny sounds fine on paper but we have to remember that he's been very average the last couple years on the stats sheet and his contract is huge for that kind of contribution.

You can blame his line mates or whatever for his lack of scoring but to me, it's still a cause for concern. That would be like trying to justify Grabovski's contract for the role and his line mates for the lack of production. I'm not comparing them, just the reasoning.

Anyway, I'm not sure what Colorado would ask for him but I'm not sure if I would be so quick to pull the trigger. It would have to be a really fair trade, sort of like the Phaneuf trade. An over payment would way to risky.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
With the news I heard today via Sportsnet, Colorado's VP said they will not be picking Seth Jones first overall. I think it's safe to say that they will be taking Nathan Mackinnon, that puts Stastny as basically their fourth line centre (behind O'Rielly, Duchene, Mackinnon), and since his father spoke out about the organization, I don't see him returning there..
As a Leafs fan, do you trade for him assuming we don't give up much? And all those who say he's washed up or what not, I believe it's because they have him playing almost third line, in the 2013 World Championships he led USA to bronze as Captain and a team leading 15 points (7G 8A) in 10 games.

He's 27 with an expiring contract making him a UFA, so he doesn't keep that terrible cap hit if he has a bad season. As a Leafs fan, do you trade for him and do you want him?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joe-sakic-says-colorado-avalanche-will-likely-pick-forward-first-overall-at-the-2013-nhl-draft-instead-of-seth-jones/

When did this happen?

Sure you aren't confusing it with ROR father?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Considering their weaknesses I'd bet on the Avs needing either Franson or Gunnarson in on any deal.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't know. After all this time I'm just as fine with never trading for this guy. Really do worry about the production and what we'd be paying to make this move. If it was a reasonable trade maybe, but just not hyped up to go for him.

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
I'd say there needs to be an option that says "Yes, depending on the cost" because I'm all for picking him up as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
Toronto the new United Nations.

JVR -- Stastny -- Kessel = (USA Line)
Lupul -- Kadri -- Clarkson = (Canada Line)
XXXX -- Grabovski -- Kulemin = (Euro Line)

Chemistry created via combining countrymen.

:D

Grabo-Filpulla-Kulemin? I like the sounds of that line, probably too expensive though

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Grabovski would have to be going the other way because of the cap hits. I'm down but I doubt Colorado would want to dump a bad contract only to receive another bad one. That said, I think Grabovski would fit in Colorado (who was also his favorite team growing up) if they play him as their #2. Duchene - Grabovski - O'Reilly - Mitchell down the middle is pretty good - likewise with Stastny - Kadri - ??? - McClement.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
like all of these discussions, it depends on the cost.

he has a bad deal, but its only for one year.

if its a softy deal, I do it all day

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
He would cost quite a bit via trade, and we would still be looking for an upgrade at centre the VERY next day.

Stastny-Kadri... it's a HUGE upgrade over what we've had in previous years, but it's NOT SC calibre top 6 centre depth.

Kopitar-Richards
Bergeron-Krejci
Toews-Sharp
Crosby-Malkin
Datsyuk-Zetterberg
McDonald-Getzlaf
Staal-Brind'Amour
etc

It simply doesn't compare to these duos. Offensively, it might compare to Bergeron/Krejci, but that duo is a huge upgrade over Stastny-Kadri defensively.

Don't forget Kadri is not a finished product. Bergeron or Krejci at age 22 weren't NEARLY as good as they are now.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
Only if Liles and Komo (and nothing else) go the other way.

If you can move Liles out with a pick and get statsny you do that all day.

He only has 1 year left on his deal, so if it doesn't work out next year, you move on. Simple as that.

Its funny that everyone cries that the leafs need a top Centre and one could potentially be available, but he is not good enough. Is Stastny in the Getzlaf, Crosby or Toews category? Not even by a country mile. You have to draft those players and since the leafs haven't drafted a top centre in the last 30 years, I don't see one coming up through the system any time soon.

Beggars cant be choosers

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I like his chances of bouncing back if he's put in a role to succeed, but the contract and likely trade cost are pretty sketchy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad