Your the GM, What Changes do you make to the lineup this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Cap stuff

Seems to me that excluding Buch, Strome, like they are gone and no cap came back.

Panarin, Trouba, Kreider, Lindgren = ~29M

They have Shesty and Chytil to sign, = ? (I'd guess like 6 to 8M)

So like 35-37M in 6 players

Next summer is where I think the bigger cap hits come into play

Zbad, Fox, Kakko, Krav. That seems like 18-22M

If so ~53-58M in 10 players.

Add in the buyouts, IR wiggle room, and a backup and I feel like that is somewhere about 60M in those 11-12 players.

~20M left to field 11-12 more players is not a lot of cap room left.

Assuming they keep the entry levels, Laff, Miller, Jones, Barron, at 925K each, another 3.7M

So like give or take a bit, 16M left for 8-9 players.

Assuming they have some less expensive guys like Rooney, Blackwell, Bite that they had this year, another ~2.2M

~14M left for 5-6 players.

Again assuming some of those 5-6 players are cheapish, entry level or cheap signing, say 3M for 3 more players. (Richards, Lundkvist, Robertson, just for examples sake)

11M left for 2-3 players by 2022-23 (and that is without Buch/ Strome)

My point being, the next off-season after that they will have Laff, Miller, Jones, Barron to extend (or their replacements, maybe Lundkvist, Richards, Robertson too) and the bridge they gave out this summer to Chytil will also maybe be ending.

I just am not sure I see their ability to sign or even add in cap hits that are very expensive if those contracts run through that. It's not like they get cap space by trading lower cap hit players out.

My take away, grabbing someone like Thomas is a good idea in terms of cap structure, and acquiring any cap hit(s) that go two years or longer, which are above say 4M in total is probably going to mean them scrambling to move out cap when it comes time to extend Laff/Miller/Lundkvist/Richards/Robertson assuming they are not bridging all of them, and even if they are replacing them it can't be for bigger cap hits)

Counting on them being able to move away from Panarin, Trouba, Kreider in the next three years seems pretty iffy to me. Nor am I super optimistic the cap rises all that much if at all between now and then.

What I'd do, be very careful and look for entry levels players or those who ended them recently who were or can be extended to inexpensive bridge deals even if those players have some question marks. Using Buch and Strome to try to get them.

Good post.

The flat cap has changed the game significantly. The #1 priority has to be to play the cap game the smart way. Look at Tampa as an example who are effectively playing with a huge cap bonus in the playoffs. The Rangers want to limit the dead cap to nothing or a bare minimum when the window is open for real.

The team has already made some long term cap decisions that have consequences for future decisions, can't afford too many more of those or the team will hobble it's own chances needlessly.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I cannot see both Lundkvist and Schneider being here for too long. Lundqvist has more trade value and Schneider seems to have a game that the Rangers are looking for.
Agreed on both not being here long-term, and I agree that Schneider is more what they lack right now. As far as who, have to look at the entire package. Drury floats both of their names out, gets an offer on both. To keep it simple, let's say Lundkvist can get a middle-6 C and a 2nd, Schneider can return a decent 4th line center and a 2nd.

Do you want Schneider+ Middle 6 C, and 2nd or Lundkvist+decent 4th line C+2nd?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Didn't want to start a new thread for this (or maybe I should), but first I am studying everyone else's roster.

When I look at the Rangers, I only see 6 forwards and 2 Dmen who are worth protecting in the expansion draft. There has to be teams with either 8 F's (or more) or 4D's (or more) they would want to protect and will hate to lose for nothing. Yes, they could offer Seattle a pick to not select a player, but they may also be willing to trade the player for cheap just to get back something, rather than lose for nothing or have to give up something to keep.

For example, Tampa up front has Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Palat, Gourde, Johnson, Cirelli, Killorn, Maroon. On D, McDonagh, Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev, I have not looked to see which of those HAVE to be protected due to clauses. They going to lose 1, so can't hurt to call and see if you can steal 1 or 2. Then again, that is a total of 13, so they could try to trade 2 F's and 1 D and lose someone else that won't matter. OR, just accept they losing 1 and keep the other 2?

Then they just lose two players instead of one and can only take back an exempt player or picks.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Good post.

The flat cap has changed the game significantly. The #1 priority has to be to play the cap game the smart way. Look at Tampa as an example who are effectively playing with a huge cap bonus in the playoffs. The Rangers want to limit the dead cap to nothing or a bare minimum when the window is open for real.

The team has already made some long term cap decisions that have consequences for future decisions, can't afford too many more of those or the team will hobble it's own chances needlessly.

I mean, I guess they could trade Shesty and go with someone who would be cheaper yet without good tending where does that leave them?

They could not extend Zbad and try to go cheaper there, yet he is pretty much their top line center and I don't think say Strome (anyone really who'd be cheaper) as their top line center works even for say like 3M less. I guess on that note they could try to trade for a center to replace Zbad and not sign Strome, yet trading for a top line center seems like he is going to carry nearly the same amount of cap space and it would require the entry level contracts they need to go the other way.

Most of any cap saving with any of that will probably go to bottom 6F or #4-6 defenders and again not sure how that really helps.

My guess, they go with the, we'll figure it out later idea and it will be painful later.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Chara is interesting we know we offered him a deal he went with Washington because they had the better chance to win.

is he still going to feel that way for next season? Not so sure. We might have the leg up going into next year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There are two guys I absolutely do not want to see back here and that’s Hajek and Georgiev.

Kinkaid is the obvious guy available to Seattle so I think you’re going to have to live with Alex as the backup and IMO neither Huska or Wall look to me ready to challenge for the job.

Hajek is seviceable but Jones/Robertson could/will push him out.

Reactions: bernmeister

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He’s not going to have a spot unless Buch is traded, but I could see where your going. I think Gallant would be an excellent choice to coach Gaut as well
Well...there will be an opening if Buch gets moved for sure at some point and I think that Gauthier has those tools that are not teachable in speed and size and if some coach can find the magic button.....they just might find another level in him that could be invaluable to us and not worth discarding just yet .

Him and Kreider on opposite wings with a rambunctious center could make for a 3rd line that causes a lot of turnovers on an aggressive fore check . We can't have all 4-5 million dollar guys up front as we move along .....some cheaper guys will be needed to fill out the roster as the more expensive guys get more money under that low cap.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Omg. Bern 3.2V confirmed.

no not confirmed.
Not surprising, jumping to seeing what you want to see, not what is actually there.

2 posters.
1 actually uses proper English.
Always.

the other... not so much.

The closest analogy is your original bern is superman and the other is obv Bizarro impression.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
no not confirmed.
Not surprising, jumping to seeing what you want to see, not what is actually there.

2 posters.
1 actually uses proper English.
Always.

the other... not so much.

The closest analogy is your original bern is superman and the other is obv Bizarro impression.
Ok ok.

He’s the Robin to your Batman.

The Beavis to your Butthead.

The Stimpy to your Ren.

:DD

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ok ok.

He’s the Robin to your Batman.

The Beavis to your Butthead.

The Stimpy to your Ren.

:DD

I appreciate what I am taking on this occasion as a good natured attempt at humor.

But that said,
again NO.

Among the few constants in the universe:
there is one, AND ONLY ONE, bernmeister

never settle for anything less than real, genuine, unadulterated bernmeister
accept no imitations
ever.

Reactions: Rongomania

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I appreciate what I am taking on this occasion as a good natured attempt at humor.

But that said,
again NO.

Among the few constants in the universe:
there is one, AND ONLY ONE, bernmeister

never settle for anything less than real, genuine, unadulterated bernmeister
accept no imitations
ever.
The RC Cola to your Pepsi?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The RC Cola to your Pepsi?

oh, RC Cola was no joke, just born at the wrong time.

RC Cola was like a poor man's Yzerman without a Stanley Cup while Super Mario and #99 skated around. Put RC Cola vs Dr Pepper and it's a RC knockout!!!

back to hockey . . .

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Can't we just stick to NYR tradition and overpay for some vets that just don't work out? Maybe Stastny at $8.25M or Getzlaf at $9.5M?

Also, maybe get Danault at a bargain after a really bad season.

lol, thanks for preparing me.

So many decisions to make yet it all circles around the better players. Idk when Laf or Kakko and company will be ready to win but imo it's those players who have to outperform the opponents best players. The pieces around them are kinda window dressing.

Reactions: CLW

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Increase tenacity. Whether it be a coach that can instill it in the young players we have or add players that bring that element.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The biggest addition to this team has already occurred. His name is Gallant. Even if the roster was exactly the same he would have this team playing better. That and the additions of Lundkvist and Barron at the very least has me excited for next year.

Reactions: Rongomania

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'd ask Artemi if he wants to get paid but not play for the season until we (definitely) make the playoffs (lol)

I'd then use that money to get some sexy FAs or sumthing.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
We need some big greasy vets. Adding more kids won't solve our issues.
This seems obvious. We can't keep perpetually be (re)building our team up. Eventually we need the horses to make a deep run.

Sure, occasionally a young gun finds his game and can be a super productive cheap member of the team and can help lead to a cup, but that only happens outside Rangerland. Hockey's different here.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Kinkaid is the obvious guy available to Seattle so I think you’re going to have to live with Alex as the backup and IMO neither Huska or Wall look to me ready to challenge for the job.

Hajek is seviceable but Jones/Robertson could/will push him out.
Kinkaid is not going to seattle, they have much better goalie choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad