NHL Entry Draft Your Preference for 2020-5th Overall Pick ?

Your Preference for 2020-5th Overall Pick ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Though a lot has to go right for this scenario to happen, the idea of icing a top line of Tkachuk-Byfield-Raymond just drives me up the wall with happiness. I just love the combination of size, skill, speed, and pretty much every tool a top line could and should possess.

So Raymond for me. If not Raymond then Drysdale would be next in line!

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I've said previously that I suspect they'll take either Quinn or Sanderson at 5. But if they don't, I'd be pretty excited about the player they pick because it means they feel he has so much talent that it outweighs any size/speed concerns they could have.
I’d be fine with Quinn or Sanderson. I like those picks.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is what Consentino predicts will happen:
Lafreniere - Rangers
Stutzle - LA
Byfield - Sens
Perfetti - Wings
Sanderson - Sens
Drysdale - Ducks
Rossi - Devils
Holtz - Sabres
Raymond - Wild
Quinn - Jets
Awesome. My picks get selected. I like cosentino and I like that mock.
But I can see Detroit taking drysdale

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Good post but Josh Norris is a Centre. He understands and can execute the defensive assignments at a high level. I see him centering a line with Batherson and Tkachuk this season with a little Colin White on the right side when Smith shakes things up.

To be clear I would only want that to happen in a world where Brown, Byfield and Rossi are all solid centres. That said Rossi could also be the one moved to wing or any of the four could be traded to upgrade the wing or D.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If we pass on Rossi, we may regret it. He made me a convert, supplanting Raymond who I also like. I like the 2-way centre with Alfie like dedication more. Just ask Andre Tourigny.

Tourigny: Marco Rossi had best season he's ever seen in an NHL draft eligible season

In my personal viewing experience, he reminds me of a bit like Datsyuk, perhaps less hands which are still great. He is very strong on his skates with his low centre of gravity and he is always working to get stronger and better.

That said, Raymond, Drysdale, or Perfetti aren't consolation prizes either. Rossi just solidifies the centre position for the franchise alongside Byfield/Stutzle, potentially allowing for two top-6 centres we haven't had forever.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
To be clear I would only want that to happen in a world where Brown, Byfield and Rossi are all solid centres. That said Rossi could also be the one moved to wing or any of the four could be traded to upgrade the wing or D.
Rossi is a lot like Norris in that he has advanced defensive awareness, he is not a winger.

Reactions: Bileur

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Rossi has an outstanding motor and two way game. I think he belongs in the running for a F at 5 along with Raymond and Perfetti. Raymond is a good player but he is being overrated in this poll. Went thru all this in 2018 with Zadina, Zadina , Zadina as well.

Not sure how this is in anyway comparable. Zadina was skilled good sniper who played a sound game. Raymond is a 2 way motor hound with skill and carries the play himself.

IMO, I see Raymond conservatively as Elias Lindholm, ceiling as Alfredsson. I think Raymond's high floor is why we will see him selected. He just plays the right way and fundamentally amazing. But I have gut feeling Detroit takes him at 4 and we select Sanderson at 5.

Its Drysdale or Raymond for me at 5 so I'm good with the vote

Same, but I feel Sens rate Sanderson higher, tbh.

Missing out on someone like Raymond/Perfetti would ******ing sting hard but having potentially best d in the league could help against the powerhouses in the East. Especially if we trade up big time for Quinn or Mercer.

Chabot-JBD
Sanderson-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Thomson
Zub

Reactions: DJB and Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure how this is in anyway comparable. Zadina was skilled good sniper who played a sound game. Raymond is a 2 way motor hound with skill and carries the play himself.

IMO, I see Raymond conservatively as Elias Lindholm, ceiling as Alfredsson. I think Raymond's high floor is why we will see him selected. He just plays the right way and fundamentally amazing. But I have gut feeling Detroit takes him at 4 and we select Sanderson at 5.

Missing out on someone like Raymond/Perfetti would ******ing sting hard but having potentially best d in the league could help against the powerhouses in the East. Especially if we trade up big time for Quinn or Mercer.

Chabot-JBD
Sanderson-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Thomson
Zub
just the fan level of support.. not comparing anything about the players

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
For those all about Rossi, would you be as bullish about him if he didn't play for the 67s?

Every write up I see has this mentioned.

I don't debate that he's skilled, I just think a beefier Raymond would serve our team better. His speed, motor, and 2 way game is made for our high tempo club.
I personally also feel that Rossi will be a winger to be most effective.
Id say most posters that are pushing Rossi didnt watch alot of 67 games as most of the same posters arent high on Quinn. The bullish Rossi supporters like to heavily lean on stats for the most part. So in short, no I do not think its because he plays for the 67's.

I do believe that there is a very low probability Rossi ends up an Ottawa Senator.

If we pass on Rossi, we may regret it. He made me a convert, supplanting Raymond who I also like. I like the 2-way centre with Alfie like dedication more. Just ask Andre Tourigny.

Tourigny: Marco Rossi had best season he's ever seen in an NHL draft eligible season

In my personal viewing experience, he reminds me of a bit like Datsyuk, perhaps less hands which are still great. He is very strong on his skates with his low centre of gravity and he is always working to get stronger and better.

That said, Raymond, Drysdale, or Perfetti aren't consolation prizes either. Rossi just solidifies the centre position for the franchise alongside Byfield/Stutzle, potentially allowing for two top-6 centres we haven't had forever.
Datsyuk was a physical freak, Rossi is tiny. He will never be close to the player Datsyuk was im sorry. He doesnt have as much skill or the power side of the game. If he was that good he would be going number 1. I really think alot of posters are massively over rating him.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Chabot-JBD
Sanderson-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Thomson
Zub

Seeing Jones's impact in CBJ games makes me value Sanderson a bit more. He doesn't handle the puck as well as I'd like, though. He's a left shot too, so he or Chabot would have to play their off side if they were the top pairing. I don't hope for Sanderson at 5, but I'm curious enough about his defensive skills, especially considering the offense-first teams we face in the East, as you said.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
In a Sportsnet Mock draft today, Sam Consentino predicts Ottawa taking Sanderson at 5. His reasoning is that after taking a forward at 3, (Byfield) we will be looking for some bite on the back end. Out of Drysdale and Sanderson, he argues Sanderson is a much better fit to play with Chabot.

Personally I still want two forwards at 3 and 5 but it looks like the Sanderson support is gaining momentum.

While I do agree we lack a dman like Sanderson in our prospect pool, both Chabot and Sanderson shoot left so they aren't going to be paired together.

I do continue to get a Ryan Suter, Ryan McDonough vibe from Sanderson the more I study him. If we are lucky he becomes our Seth Jones and we saw how he shut down the Leafs offense basically on his own.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Seeing Jones's impact in CBJ games makes me value Sanderson a bit more. He doesn't handle the puck as well as I'd like, though. He's a left shot too, so he or Chabot would have to play their off side if they were the top pairing. I don't hope for Sanderson at 5, but I'm curious enough about his defensive skills, especially considering the offense-first teams we face in the East, as you said.
Sanderson isnt close to as good a prospect as Jones or Werenski were id temper your expectations.

I do think McDonough is a great comparison and if he ends up that good he would be a terrific pick at 5. I think if he is there the sens will take Drysdale, he has more upside and just as high a floor.

Reactions: NB613

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
First and foremost, I'm aware of all the great traits that Sanderson possesses. He's got a great package of tools and any team would love him on their d-core.

That being said, my fear with Sanderson is that his rise up the mock drafts has come when absolutely no hockey has been played. It scares me. It's like the dialogue and the idea of what he can bring to a team is whats causing this rise more so than his actual on-ice abilities and what he's shown on the ice.

And now, with Seth Jones having a stellar playoffs, whom is often used as a comparable for Sanderson, more reasons beyond the things Sanderson has actually achieved on the ice is causing him to gain additional hype.

I'm well aware we're in a weird time and I want to say again that I actually love Sanderson's game, but I do believe that he has benefitted the most in terms of potentially gaining draft position due to this long layoff.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Id say most posters that are pushing Rossi didnt watch alot of 67 games as most of the same posters arent high on Quinn. The bullish Rossi supporters like to heavily lean on stats for the most part. So in short, no I do not think its because he plays for the 67's.

I do believe that there is a very low probability Rossi ends up an Ottawa Senator.

I think it's a bit unfair to frame those who don't want Quinn at 5 as not high on him. He's an excellent prospect among a strong cohort, having other guys ahead doesn't mean people aren't high on him.

As for those bullish on Rossi, we can point to his compete level, his mature style of play, his willingness to go to the tough spots on the ice, his top end of the class defensive game, his work ethic both on and off the ice, his extremely underatted skating, his elite puck skills, his great shot and release, his off the charts IQ, but the retort is always 5'9, and 18 year old season. Well, the latter point is refuted by looking at his production relative to historical 18 year old seasons; it's because of the attempts to invalidate Rossi's performance by saying his production is just the result of an extra year of development that spurs the statistical retort.

As for the low chance Rossi ends up picked by Ottawa, i tend to agree, Drysdale, Perfetti and Raymond are all strong possibilities to go ahead of him and even if you give them all even odds they'd individually only have 25% a piece, and that excludes realistic scenarios like picking Sanderson.

Datsyuk was a physical freak, Rossi is tiny. He will never be close to the player Datsyuk was im sorry. He doesnt have as much skill or the power side of the game. If he was that good he would be going number 1. I really think alot of posters are massively over rating him.
So why didn't Datsyuk go 1st (or even in the first round)?

Obviously it's a long shot anyone in this draft ends up as good as Datsyuk, but Datsyuk wasn't as good as Rossi is at the same age, there is a reason Rossi is ranked where he is.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

There are a lot more people outside Ottawa that are bullish on Rossi. Its not just HFSens posters who evidently are a lot more bullish on Raymond than Rossi. We get that you are more bullish on Quinn and have him ranked high compared to almost every source I have looked at. No issues with that .. you like the player .
I would think given the lack of evidence available on Raymond from his year last year that you would take more exception to him being ranked higher than Quinn on this board

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
First and foremost, I'm aware of all the great traits that Sanderson possesses. He's got a great package of tools and any team would love him on their d-core.

That being said, my fear with Sanderson is that his rise up the mock drafts has come when absolutely no hockey has been played. It scares me. It's like the dialogue and the idea of what he can bring to a team is whats causing this rise more so than his actual on-ice abilities and what he's shown on the ice.

And now, with Seth Jones having a stellar playoffs, whom is often used as a comparable for Sanderson, more reasons beyond the things Sanderson has actually achieved on the ice is causing him to gain additional hype.

I'm well aware we're in a weird time and I want to say again that I actually love Sanderson's game, but I do believe that he has benefitted the most in terms of potentially gaining draft position due to this long layoff.

His ranking has gone I think 16 - 9 - 8 if I recall.

Sanderson has always been highly thought of, but because he doesn't play a glamorous style its taken the average fan a little longer to realize he's in the mix to go top 5 -10

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Should have said Datsyukian or Datsyuk light. I see a surefire 2C in Rossi with the potential to improve. His height won't be an issue to succeed at the next level. After two seasons of sporadic viewing of the 67s - but every game I came away impressed.

Quinn has sublime hands with the ability to create his own opportunities to score - as Button puts it he is likely best goal scorer in this draft class. Rossi's been the better player - and Andre Tourigny should know a thing or two about who the best player is for the 67s. Rossi is a top-5 debate, Quinn is a 10-20 range draft pick who I would love with the NYI pick+.

I know the comment wasn't meant for me, but I am not a bullish supporter of Rossi. I just slowly gravitated towards him since April doing research on these prospects. By no means will I be disappointed with another high-end pick like Raymond or Perfetti. I will be disappointed with Quinn at #5.

Reactions: bert

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Quotes from NHL scouts from Rossi are all over the map. To me, that's not the kind of guy you want at 5. You want a guy with less question marks.

“He is already a finished product. Have you seen him off the ice? He is done growing and he’s already
made himself as strong as he’s going to get. Great player but you are already looking at a 95% finished
product. Meanwhile Perfetti still has a baby face.” - NHL Scout, October 2019

“I can’t help but get the feeling that Rossi might be the player that has a great package for the OHL
but might be the guy taken in the top 10 that busts. He’s been very ordinary in some of my viewings
unless he was playing teams like Kingston.who have one or two OHL calibre defenseman.” - NHL
Scout, January 2020

“He’s so competitive and that what I like about him so much. I think he’ll play through his
weaknesses and find a way to play down the middle too.” - NHL Scout, January 2020

“He’s a great player. I know you like Perfetti but I’ll take my chances on Rossi.” - NHL Scout,
January 2020

“He’s a pro. He works hard all day on getting better. This kid is all business.” - NHL Scout, February

“He’s going to make all the scouts who have Perfetti ranked ahead of him regret it.” - NHL Scout,
March 2020

“He’s smart, competitive and skilled. He destroyed the OHL this season. I’d love to have a team full of
players like him.” - NHL Scout, March 2020

“I think too many people are overrating Rossi and other guys based solely on their huge numbers this
year. Some of those stats guys might want to take a peek at the goalies in the OHL. right now. They
are messing up the OHL record books.” - NHL Scout, March 2020

“How many guys with his size and skating combination are playing centre in the NHL? Not sure he can
be effective on the wing so I have him where I’d never get him.” - NHL Scout, March 2020

“He’s small but strong. He’ll be ok and I think he can play centre.” - NHL Scout, March 2020

“Really good interview, I’d rate it as one of my best this year” - NHL Scout, April 2020

“Arguably the best defensive forward in the draft”– HP Scout Jérôme Bérubé

“He doesn’t have elite speed but I’m not as worried about that with him, his hockey sense is
excellent and physically he’s a tank and he can absorb the physical play better than most players of
his size.” – HP Scout Jérôme Bérubé

“To me he’s a great junior player. I know everyone loves him but he’ll need to be a winger in the NHL
and I agree that he’s smart but he’s not very dynamic. He’s only 5’8” and is an average skater. Put him
on North Bay and he’d be a 2nd round pick. He’s way down my list. He abused Kingston and North Bay
but was very ordinary against the good teams in the West.” - NHL Scout, May 2020

“I love Rossi. He is one of the best competitors I’ve seen in the OHL in years. This kid probably
eats pucks for breakfast off of an old shin-pad.” - NHL Scout, May 2020

“Great player. It’s so tight in this whole grouping of players.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad