NHL Entry Draft Your Preference for 2020-5th Overall Pick ?

Your Preference for 2020-5th Overall Pick ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
For me it’s a no brainer if Detroit don’t take Raymond, you have to take him. The second best skater after Stutzle, high iq , move his feet all the time, excellent shot close to Holtz. Can t wait to see him now that he gained weight

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Based on what exactly? Laf has yet to play a game in the NHL. Last year people would have you believe Hughes was going to put up 50 points easily and he was barely able to get half of that. Based on my viewings of both, the difference isn't astronomical and Rossi is better in some areas.
It's not just Laf (who I think is in a completely different tier than Rossi). I would be completely, utterly shocked if Rossi becomes better than Byfield. Byfield has much more upside and is already way better than Rossi was at the same age.

As far as Laf vs Rossi, I really don't see any areas where Rossi is better. And I don't see the relevance to talking about Hughes last year. They are completely different prospects. Lafreniere, since he was a pre-teen, has done nothing to suggest he won't be a surefire superstar in the NHL.

I have no problem if the Sens take him at 5 but to think he would end up top 2 in a redraft is baffling to me.

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It's not just Laf (who I think is in a completely different tier than Rossi). I would be completely, utterly shocked if Rossi becomes better than Byfield. Byfield has much more upside and is already way better than Rossi was at the same age.

As far as Laf vs Rossi, I really don't see any areas where Rossi is better. And I don't see the relevance to talking about Hughes last year. They are completely different prospects. Lafreniere, since he was a pre-teen, has done nothing to suggest he won't be a surefire superstar in the NHL.

I have no problem if the Sens take him at 5 but to think he would end up top 2 in a redraft is baffling to me.

You don’t need to think of everything in absolutes ... I don’t even like Rossi but I can concede he has enough skill that down the road he could possibly Redraft as a top 2.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
You don’t need to think of everything in absolutes ... I don’t even like Rossi but I can concede he has enough skill that down the road he could possibly draft as a top 2.
I didn't say it isn't possible. I said it's not something worth deleting your account over because the odds are low. If you want to risk deleting your account, just say he will be better than whoever we take at 5.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd be fine with Rossi or Holtz. Slight preference to Holtz if we can get Byfield or draft Stutzle with every intention to have him play centre. Would be nice to get some RW prospects with high end potential. After Batherson (who i still hope makes a case for the centre position), we have Abramov who can play either wing but it'd be nice to have a natural RW.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Rossi trust me. Rossi is the answer. If I end up wrong on this I will close my HF account.

I feel exactly the same way. I've posted numerous times how Rossi is going to be a star. Watch him and you see Alfie, Backstrom and Datsyuk. I was adamant about Tkachuk over Zadina and this year I have Rossi over Perfetti/Drysdale and he's tied with Raymond.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Whoops, forgot to include that I want Drysdale before Rossi or Holtz, but am assuming he gets scooped before our 5th overall selection! Won't be end of the world if we didn't get him but definitely prefer adding another RD prospect!

Reactions: NB613 and Viletho

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
For those all about Rossi, would you be as bullish about him if he didn't play for the 67s?

Every write up I see has this mentioned.

I don't debate that he's skilled, I just think a beefier Raymond would serve our team better. His speed, motor, and 2 way game is made for our high tempo club.
I personally also feel that Rossi will be a winger to be most effective.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
For those all about Rossi, would you be as bullish about him if he didn't play for the 67s?

I don't debate that he's skilled, I just think a beefier Raymond would serve our team better. His speed, motor, and 2 way game is made for our high tempo club.

Here's what stands out to me about Rossi. The guy is so mature and cool on the puck. He doesn't force anything and his passes are extremely crisp. That type of skill is a good indicator that he's going to be a star in the league. How many players in junior do we know that were all flash but zero substance. Way too many to count. Rossi doesn't shoot the puck like Holtz/Quinn, he doesn't drive the play like Lafreniere, he doesn't stickhandle like Stutzle, but he's way better at them at not making mistakes with the puck. That skill is very hard to come by (think of Mark Stone/Pavel Datsyuk).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Rossi has an outstanding motor and two way game. I think he belongs in the running for a F at 5 along with Raymond and Perfetti. Raymond is a good player but he is being overrated in this poll. Went thru all this in 2018 with Zadina, Zadina , Zadina as well.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Rossi has an outstanding motor and two way game. I think he belongs in the running for a F at 5 along with Raymond and Perfetti. Raymond is a good player but he is being overrated in this poll. Went thru all this in 2018 with Zadina, Zadina , Zadina as well.
Raymond is far superior to a guy like Zadina. Raymond is arguably the third best forward in this draft.

Reactions: Crosside

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Here's what stands out to me about Rossi. The guy is so mature and cool on the puck. He doesn't force anything and his passes are extremely crisp. That type of skill is a good indicator that he's going to be a star in the league. How many players in junior do we know that were all flash but zero substance. Way too many to count. Rossi doesn't shoot the puck like Holtz/Quinn, he doesn't drive the play like Lafreniere, he doesn't stickhandle like Stutzle, but he's way better at them at not making mistakes with the puck. That skill is very hard to come by (think of Mark Stone/Pavel Datsyuk).
IMO Perfetti has that same trait while being more dynamic with a higher offensive upside. Again just my opinion. Also I don’t think he’s way better than Lafreniere at what you are describing.

Reactions: bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Raymond is far superior to a guy like Zadina. Raymond is arguably the third best forward in this draft.
Now we can say that ...Zadina was widely expected to go 3OA and lots of Sens fans wanted him at 4 zall I am saying. I like Raymond as well . I hope he can do some of the magic he did at the U18s WJC and at the Hlinka .. in the SHL this year. I think Rossi is a safer pick .. while providing tons of upside as a complete player. Anyway Sens fans are overwhelmingly taking Raymond... I certainly would not be sad if the Sens took him.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
For me, Rossi's willingness to get his nose dirty and battle with much bigger opponents is what gives him a slight edge over Raymond. There's a video of Rossi flipping 6 foot 5 and 220 pound Serron Noel on his backside as they battled for position.

I don't think we can go wrong ... I'd be happy with any of Rossi, Raymond, Drysdale or Perfetti.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
he missed the cutoff for last years draft by 6 days I believe...
Sens like those older guys.. What else should Rossi have done this year as such an old player... You realize there are a number of 2001 late birthdays close to the cut off this year in the top 15.
3 - 4 months doesn't mean much either.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Sens like those older guys.. What else should Rossi have done this year as such an old player... You realize there are a number of 2001 late birthdays close to the cut off this year in the top 15.
3 - 4 months doesn't mean much either.

3-4 months?
He'll be 19 on Sept.23.
Raymond will be 19 at the end of march
Perfetti 19 end of January
Drysdale 19 beginning of April

Interesting to note Jack Quinn is also 19 Sept 19

For me there's too many question marks.

1. Can he improve his speed?
2. How will he be used within our lineup?--Do you see him supplanting L. Brown/J.Norris?
3. The disparity with his point totals vs weaker competition/stronger teams

The fact that he's almost a year past when he COULD have been selected is interesting.
Like , where would he have gone in last year's draft?

For me even the eyeball test is sorta lacking. Like if I watch tape between Rossi/Perfetti/Raymond--who appears to be the more dynamic player?

I'm not anti-Rossi....like I said earlier I think he's talented.
But for me he's in the 6-9 range.

Last edited:
Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad