NHL Entry Draft Your Preference for 2020-5th Overall Pick ?

Your Preference for 2020-5th Overall Pick ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He'd easily go in the top 10 of a redraft.

Seguin, Hall, Stone, Tarasenko and Kuznetsov are probably the only guys who are clearly ahead of him that year.
I dont think thats the case, he is clearly behind those players but there are alot of guys to consider taking ahead of him in a redraft Klingberg and Johansson for sure. He was probalby picked right around where he belonged maybe moving up a few spots. Still wouldnt have him in the top 5. He is a good player dont get me wrong but this is also a better draft. Atleast projected to be better going in than 2010.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I dont think thats the case, he is clearly behind those players but there are alot of guys to consider taking ahead of him in a redraft Klingberg and Johansson for sure. He was probalby picked right around where he belonged maybe moving up a few spots. Still wouldnt have him in the top 5. He is a good player dont get me wrong but this is also a better draft. Atleast projected to be better going in than 2010.
Agree to disagree on where to stick him in a 2010 redraft but i do agree this is a better draft. That said, Rossi to me is clearly a better prospect than Schwartz was even at the same age, and he's a center vice a winger which adds value, with no reason to suspect will have the health issues schwartz has.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Agree to disagree on where to stick him in a 2010 redraft but i do agree this is a better draft. That said, Rossi to me is clearly a better prospect than Schwartz was even at the same age, and he's a center vice a winger which adds value, with no reason to suspect will have the health issues schwartz has.
Schwartz had a better 17 year old season statistically, and his 18 year old season is right up there with Rossi’s. Schwartz had close to double the points of the next highest scorer on his team in his 17 year old season while leading the USHL in scoring, and led his NCAA team in scoring while playing 13 less games than the next highest scoring guy as an 18 year old.

They are very comparable guys, stylistically, in my opinion now that someone brought it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He got hurt two years in a row, there is every reason to be worried about his health moving forward considering his size. Thats a big reason why I prefer other players to him at 5, on top of the fact I think he is further ahead in his development with large limitations due to his skating relative to his draft counterparts.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This is what Consentino predicts will happen:
Lafreniere - Rangers
Stutzle - LA
Byfield - Sens
Perfetti - Wings
Sanderson - Sens
Drysdale - Ducks
Rossi - Devils
Holtz - Sabres
Raymond - Wild
Quinn - Jets

If Raymond drops to 9th....G.M Bill Guerin will be walking up to the podium like:

tenor.gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In a Sportsnet Mock draft today, Sam Consentino predicts Ottawa taking Sanderson at 5. His reasoning is that after taking a forward at 3, (Byfield) we will be looking for some bite on the back end. Out of Drysdale and Sanderson, he argues Sanderson is a much better fit to play with Chabot.

Personally I still want two forwards at 3 and 5 but it looks like the Sanderson support is gaining momentum.
Byfield & Sanderson have been my two picks for a while, really hope it goes that way but I have a hard time believing LA will pass on Byfield.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Never mentioned top 10. Quinn will be in the top 10 or close to it but not ahead of Rossi .. I am sure there are a few of you that believe otherwise.
Quinn will go high because of his goal scoring. He is not even close to Rossi as a playmaker. You project Quinn to have success and Rossi not to.. That's your own speculation... I am sure 9/10 McKenzie scouts that had him between 5 and 10 are projecting him to have success.
Quinn got picked ahead of Rossi. Looks to be projecting better at the pro level too.

Best ppg in the AHL. Lead Buffalo in shots in his first NHL game. I am glad my eyes didn't deceive me in watching so many viewings.

Glad to see the way Sanderson is progressing especially when considering organizational weakness. I wanted a D man at 5 but if they were picking a forward Quinn wouldn't have been a bad option. The top 13 of this draft is pretty remarkable. 13 players that warranted top 5 picks in most drafts.

Then I look at this up coming draft and boy is it underwhelming.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I had Perfetti, Raymond Quinn in that order. Love the Sanderson pick but I would be thrilled had we come away with Raymond or Quinn as well. Not sure on Perfetti as much in hindsight.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I wanted Drysdale at 5 due to RHD vs Sandersons LHD. I'm happy with how Sanderson has progressed but still think we have a hole at the top end of RHD position.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I had Perfetti, Raymond Quinn in that order. Love the Sanderson pick but I would be thrilled had we come away with Raymond or Quinn as well. Not sure on Perfetti as much in hindsight.
I had Raymond in the poll, don't recall who I had next (probably perfetti, I'm sure I made my preference clear in one of these threads). Rossi, Quinn, Holtz and Lindell all seemed like a tossup for me. Probably had Drysdale before them, so if I had to guess I think I had it, Raymond, Perfetti, Sanderson/Drysdale (I think I leaned towards Sanderson edit, just checked and it was the reverse, I had Drysdale a touch ahead of Sanderson), then the rest.

Was happy with Sanderson when we took him, I had been high on him for a while, funny thing is I was wanting one of Stu or Sanderson with our 2nd 1st round pick early on before we knew where they'd land and before they both climbed in the rankings so I was pretty happy with the end result. I saw a drop off after 3rd and then again around 9th so all the options were likely to leave me happy.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Not sure how this is in anyway comparable. Zadina was skilled good sniper who played a sound game. Raymond is a 2 way motor hound with skill and carries the play himself.

IMO, I see Raymond conservatively as Elias Lindholm, ceiling as Alfredsson. I think Raymond's high floor is why we will see him selected. He just plays the right way and fundamentally amazing. But I have gut feeling Detroit takes him at 4 and we select Sanderson at 5.

Same, but I feel Sens rate Sanderson higher, tbh.

Knew it would unfold this way. I think we would have still taken Sanderson ahead of Raymond had we picked 4th as well.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Quinn got picked ahead of Rossi. Looks to be projecting better at the pro level too.

Best ppg in the AHL. Lead Buffalo in shots in his first NHL game. I am glad my eyes didn't deceive me in watching so many viewings.

Glad to see the way Sanderson is progressing especially when considering organizational weakness. I wanted a D man at 5 but if they were picking a forward Quinn wouldn't have been a bad option. The top 13 of this draft is pretty remarkable. 13 players that warranted top 5 picks in most drafts.

Then I look at this up coming draft and boy is it underwhelming.

You were right about Quinn. I think we've discussed this recently. Glad to congratulate you again Bert.
Yah he got picked 1 spot ahead of Rossi lol. Both in the top 10.

Rossi lost the entire 20/21 year with a pretty significant heart condition caused by Covid so .. not sure how that impacts comparing him this year. Maybe its just an excuse.
Quinn has been doing great. Definitely has the sense to get open and he is a scoring threat with his shot. I've watched and followed them both in the AHL this year. Both recently had NHL debuts and both did pretty well. I watched both Wild games and the Sabres game.
I've liked what I have seen from both of them.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The poll was from Aug 2020 and a ton changed leading up to the draft itself. I made a seismic shift to Sanderson leading up to the draft over Drysdale.

But this was such a fun draft and had so much talent available. Tons of great players will emerge from this class.

Reactions: Micklebot

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Sort of goes to show that as of now, there were plenty of great picks they could've made at 5th overall. We're thrilled with Sanderson but we'd be thrilled with most of the guys on that poll as of today. Seth Jarvis is another guy that was picked early and looks great so far.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah he doesnt look to have as dynamic skating as Raymond, Quinn or Jarvis for that matter. Still incredible hockey sense, vision and skill but that is a bit of a limit on what he could become in comparison. As Raymond, Quinn and Jarvis have some pretty elite skill to go along with above average speed/elusiveness.

You were right about Quinn. I think we've discussed this recently. Glad to congratulate you again Bert.
Yah he got picked 1 spot ahead of Rossi lol. Both in the top 10.

Rossi lost the entire 20/21 year with a pretty significant heart condition caused by Covid so .. not sure how that impacts comparing him this year. Maybe its just an excuse.
Quinn has been doing great. Definitely has the sense to get open and he is a scoring threat with his shot. I've watched and followed them both in the AHL this year. Both recently had NHL debuts and both did pretty well. I watched both Wild games and the Sabres game.
I've liked what I have seen from both of them.
Thats true he did miss alot of time. I do think his size and skating will limit his ability to beat D men one on one but his hockey sense, vision and puck skills are elite in that he could be a really good distributer. He couldnt have gone to a better situation than Minnesota. They have no elite offensive centermen and they have a ton of size and scoring on the wings. Again what a deep draft in the top 13 or so. Crazy that Lundell wasnt even a top 10 pick.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We had Sanderson 4th for sure.

I think we had Raymond 5th and Drysdale 6th but cannot confirm that. 100% had Sanderson 4th though.

I think we had Sanderson ranked 3rd best.

Laf
Stutzle
Sanderson

Report from Bob Mackenzie's top 10 head scouts list said 2 NHL team head scouts had Sanderson ranked 3rd. Us and Ana were rumoured to be those 2 teams. Not entirely sure as Dorion said we'll pick whoever is left between Stutz and By but I think we had Sanderson 3rd.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
My dream draft was Byfield and Raymond. I had a feeling both would be gone when we picked. I was right about that. I wanted Drysdale at 5 once Raymond was gone but I can't complain with the pick at this point. Sanderson seems to be on a really nice development curve. Excited to see him make his pro debut (hopefully this year).

Also can't complain with ending up with Stü instead of Byfield. He's looking really promising.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think we had Sanderson ranked 3rd best.

Laf
Stutzle
Sanderson

Report from Bob Mackenzie's top 10 head scouts list said 2 NHL team head scouts had Sanderson ranked 3rd. Us and Ana were rumoured to be those 2 teams. Not entirely sure as Dorion said we'll pick whoever is left between Stutz and By but I think we had Sanderson 3rd.

Byfield was 100% #3 on our list

Reactions: edguy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad