Your Plan Going Forward

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Even if we go on another 10 game win streak and keep playing the way we are, the way we win makes me sick to my stomach. I just have a hard time watching the games. I know we are not a playoff (cup) team, and prime for another collapse.

Some things I would do (and others mentioned similar)

1) Nonis gone. Terrible contracts. I like the guy, but you cannot give money because your afraid someone is going to not sign with you. Too many NTC!

2) For what we say is the best hockey market in the work, the ACC is terrible. KILL the platinum club, close it, I don't care. It's terrible watching games with that building so flat (are we sure the Raptors play in the same building?!?), but watch a game in Detroit, Buffalo, well anywhere Northern USA and with just a few hundred leaf fans it will be louder then 20 thousand. Just sad. MLSE needs to look at Corporate ownership.

3) If no major trades can be pulled off with current roster for 1D/1C then we really need to look at a fire sale. Really in danger of being stagnate for more years to come. Not at the bottom, but just a couple points out. Safe 1st round picks (no blue chip prospects).

4) NEVER let a UFA walk when your not contending. If Franson is unassigned by trade deadline, trade him... Let's not kid ourselfs, we are not winning the cup, lets get something good back.

5) Something that I'm not sure that's allowed or not, but I would do my best to eliminate some media members access to players. The amount of turmoil, and lack of actual reporting they do is just disgusting. It's turned into sensationalism, not sports news. That's got to be a negative for UFA's to sign with the Leafs.

Just my opinions/wishes, I know management will not do anything to correct half of these in the next 10 years..

I don't think I was ever a part of tank nation, and I think the coaching staff is pretty good (dont kill me for that), players seem to like them. You need to look at the talent, what they are able to do. These guys are doing what they can.. and that's why unless we could pick up a couple core pieces and move a couple out, I gut it and actually build towards something.

Durkin67

Even if we go on another 10 game win streak and keep playing the way we are, the way we win makes me sick to my stomach. I just have a hard time watching the games. I know we are not a playoff (cup) team, and prime for another collapse.

Some things I would do (and others mentioned similar)

1) Nonis gone. Terrible contracts. I like the guy, but you cannot give money because your afraid someone is going to not sign with you. Too many NTC!

2) For what we say is the best hockey market in the work, the ACC is terrible. KILL the platinum club, close it, I don't care. It's terrible watching games with that building so flat (are we sure the Raptors play in the same building?!?), but watch a game in Detroit, Buffalo, well anywhere Northern USA and with just a few hundred leaf fans it will be louder then 20 thousand. Just sad. MLSE needs to look at Corporate ownership.

3) If no major trades can be pulled off with current roster for 1D/1C then we really need to look at a fire sale. Really in danger of being stagnate for more years to come. Not at the bottom, but just a couple points out. Safe 1st round picks (no blue chip prospects).

4) NEVER let a UFA walk when your not contending. If Franson is unassigned by trade deadline, trade him... Let's not kid ourselfs, we are not winning the cup, lets get something good back.

5) Something that I'm not sure that's allowed or not, but I would do my best to eliminate some media members access to players. The amount of turmoil, and lack of actual reporting they do is just disgusting. It's turned into sensationalism, not sports news. That's got to be a negative for UFA's to sign with the Leafs.

Just my opinions/wishes, I know management will not do anything to correct half of these in the next 10 years..

I don't think I was ever a part of tank nation, and I think the coaching staff is pretty good (dont kill me for that), players seem to like them. You need to look at the talent, what they are able to do. These guys are doing what they can.. and that's why unless we could pick up a couple core pieces and move a couple out, I gut it and actually build towards something.

I got this...check it out...

If you're not in your seat 5 minutes after puck drop at the start of the period, you lose your seat for the rest of that period. Anyone with a valid ticket can claim it for the next 15 minutes. Problem Solved. Someone give Shanny the memo.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Points 1 to 3 are well done and are good ideas. The GM may have to make some exceptions to point 2 depending on the player, but it should be done across the board.

For the fourth point none of these trades are feasible. Edmonton was willing to take on Clarkson originally, but you don't handcuff 40% of that salary retention for the next five years on Toronto's salary cap.

IF you want to pay Clarkson that much for the remainder of the contract, you are in trouble. He isn't going to ever live up to the contract that he got and it will cost you more to buy him out than to trade him for a smaller contract with salary retained. I believe you save yourself 250k for the first 3 years and then it will cost you 2.1 mill for 4 years after that.

Winnipeg would not take on almost $2 million more in salary for an older defenseman in Phaneuf versus Bogosian. You have to look at what Winnipeg's needs are first and not just what Toronto needs.

Phaneuf is the better defenceman. Even if people don't want to admit it. A deal could be made, but like I said this would just be the basis of the deal.

The O'Rielly + 1st is possible, but the Duchene is not. Duchene grew up an Avs fan when he was a kid, so why bring in someone whose heart would not be with the Leafs?

It will take a lot more to pry Yandle from Arizona. Gardiner would be a downgrade to Yandle so that plus would have to be at least JvR for them to even start listening.

Yandle wasn't as good as the player he used to be. Gardiner right now is a downgrade, but is also 5 years younger.

There is a reason why Robidas was not re-signed with the Stars. Jim Nill was on record stating they had lots of defensive prospects in the pipeline and there is no room for Robidas on the Stars roster, so why would Nill trade for him?

Robidas was traded to Anaheim for a big playoff run. He could have been signed in the off-season but I doubt he would have got 3 mill. The Dallas defence is awful. Just an idea, but he would have to go to a team that is gearing up for a playoff run.

Why would the Rangers want Bozak over Kreider or Miller who are younger and cost less? Once again you have to think about the other team's needs not just the Leafs.

It's not just about costing less. JT Miller might never be the player they expect. Bozak is playing big minutes and puts up points. So while they would be moving a good young player, they would also be getting a good player back.

No coach should be given a long-term contract like that. Coaches in Toronto do not last long so at most give the coach a three year deal and then extend where necessary.

This is the problem. It's a revolving door of trying to figure out what players are right for the system and then trying to figure out what coach can do it. Why not have a coach in place that has his own style and then give him the players he needs. Because within the last 3 years we've gone from the "truculence and pugnacity" to a "rush team" and now we're a swarm team? I'm really not even sure what they are.

A lot needs to change tho. And the Leafs need to stop relying on free agency and other teams to build their own.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I got this...check it out...

If you're not in your seat 5 minutes after puck drop at the start of the period, you lose your seat for the rest of that period. Anyone with a valid ticket can claim it for the next 15 minutes. Problem Solved. Someone give Shanny the memo.

love it.. Better yet, bring someone from outside in the square cheering at the big screen.. :D

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
If I were GM . . .

1. Fire Carlyle. Hire best available coach - prerequisite is having coached a good NHL team in the last 5 years to a successful season or two.

2. Trade Bozak ... possible trade might be him and Percy for Ryan O'Reilly before the deadline. (If it take more than Percy, so be it.)

3. Finish off the year on a low as per usual, we'd probably draft a top 10 pick. Treat it as if it were the most important pick of the franchise.

4. In the off-season trade Phil Kessel. Impossible to speculate, but I'd go for the best deal obviously . . . which means not taking back anyone of even doubtful character or work ethic, and someone who has an unquestionable work ethic. If he's got half the talent and puts up half the points, he'll at least have twice the leadership value. Oh, and it probably needs to be a centre.
Jordan Staal and picks? Thornton straight up? RNH even if we had to add something?

Then I watch the chia pet grow.

Durkin67

If I were GM . . .

1. Fire Carlyle. Hire best available coach - prerequisite is having coached a good NHL team in the last 5 years to a successful season or two.

2. Trade Bozak ... possible trade might be him and Percy for Ryan O'Reilly before the deadline. (If it take more than Percy, so be it.)

3. Finish off the year on a low as per usual, we'd probably draft a top 10 pick. Treat it as if it were the most important pick of the franchise.

4. In the off-season trade Phil Kessel. Impossible to speculate, but I'd go for the best deal obviously . . . which means not taking back anyone of even doubtful character or work ethic, and someone who has an unquestionable work ethic. If he's got half the talent and puts up half the points, he'll at least have twice the leadership value. Oh, and it probably needs to be a centre.
Jordan Staal and picks? Thornton straight up? RNH even if we had to add something?

Then I watch the chia pet grow.

1. As much as I don't blame Carlyle for this team's lack of compete and character, they need a jolt. Let Spotter run the bench if you wanna make a change and wait until the offseason to address the vacancy.

2. Bozie would thrive in COL. He's familiar with Mile High city. I like...up the ante and add Gardiner. take a first rounder.

3. two firsts in a deep draft? maybe package them and move up? lots of options there...not a lot of untouchables on this roster.

4. ROR and J Staal are similar in roles. Again, up the ante and take both Staals. You're dead on about the character issue. Make that you priority, every time.

As much as the numbers guys scoff at "intangibles" like leadership, character, and commitment, it's the first thing out of the mouths of champions like Johnny Toews when discussing what it takes to win.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Make sure the players that play the most are real soft with low compete level.

When other teams see this, they'll say "come out hitting hard and often" and the Leafs will wilt early.

Let these other teams take shots at as many players as possible without causing any hurt back. Establish a reputation around the league for being a soft target.

Call up AHLers to replace injured players. Don't call up players that play tough.

Make sure any trade deadline assets are injured at the trade deadline. Any uninjured unsigned potential UFAs get kept at the trade deadline. Better to stay status quo for job security. Ditto for keeping the coach. If he goes, the GM is next. Can't have that.

Make a few changes to the infrastructure and hold a few press conferences to make it look like we're being proactive.

Coddle your highest paid players regardless of their dedication. If a guy has a big contract, he gets lots of ice time, no matter what.

Try to stay low key in dealing with the players. No one gets upset.

Keep trading away draft picks. The people want mediocrity NOW.

Repeat yearly.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

When other teams see this, they'll say "come out hitting hard and often" and the Leafs will wilt early.

Let these other teams take shots at as many players as possible without causing any hurt back. Establish a reputation around the league for being a soft target.

Call up AHLers to replace injured players. Don't call up players that play tough.

Make sure any trade deadline assets are injured at the trade deadline. Any uninjured unsigned potential UFAs get kept at the trade deadline. Better to stay status quo for job security. Ditto for keeping the coach. If he goes, the GM is next. Can't have that.

Make a few changes to the infrastructure and hold a few press conferences to make it look like we're being proactive.

Coddle your highest paid players regardless of their dedication. If a guy has a big contract, he gets lots of ice time, no matter what.

Repeat yearly.

Now, that's a plan I can get on board with! :sarcasm: :shakehead

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
While it is too late to tank I still hope for an absolutely stunning collapse the rest of the way. I think Nonis has assembled the ideal mix of players to let it happen as well. Even MLSE would have to do something drastic then.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto

Repeat yearly.
That's brilliant. I bet you would have been willing to do Shanahan's job for a lot less than he's commanding to do absolutely **** all.:D

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
My plan going forward is to keep much of the team intact.

Kadri
Lupul
Komarov
Clarkson (unfortunately)
Phaneuf
Polak
Gardiner
Rielly
Robidas
Holzer
Panik
Smith
Holland
JVR
Berner

Santorelli, Winnik and Franson get re-signed.

Move Booth for a pick.

Carlyle is gone.

During the off-season, move Bozak and Kessel to Florida.

Something like:

Bozak
Kessel

for

Barkov
1st '15
2nd '15
Cap dump
+

It's a lot of salary for Florida to take so they may not be into taking Bozak but if not, I feel like Edmonton would pay a decent price for him.

It leaves Florida's top-nine looking something like this:
Huberdeau - Bjugstad - Trochek
Hayes - Bozak - Kessel
Jokinen - Bolland - Boyes

We look like:
JVR - Kadri - Santorelli
Lupul - Barkov - Nylander
Komarov - Holland - XX
XX - Smith - XX
XX = Clarkson, Winnik, Panik

I believe this sort of deal takes the time constraints off the team. Lupul doesn't have huge value, and despite what some say, he works hard and scores. He sets a good example as far as I'm concerned. So keeping him around is beneficial in my opinion.

Likewise, our only other huge contract is Phaneuf's and there's always options to move a guy like that if we want to.

This changes the core of the team to younger players, resets the clock and gives us two guys who will likely continue to get better. Additionally, we move out two guys who are the worst Corsi players in the NHL. While Nylander may not be a great defensive player, the team as a whole should be better defensively.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad