Your Plan Going Forward

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Just as the title says, If you were the GM what would your plan be?

Personally my plan would be nothing to drastic, other than trading off Clarkson purely for cap reasons. The leafs have the cap room, provided the cap does increase to $73m as its supposed to, to resign the 3 big RFA's (Bernier, Franson and Kadri) all in contracts between $4m and $5m. They can also sign Santorelli to roughly $3m and Winnik for roughly $1.5m. Unfortunately this leaves less than $700k for the 12th forward and no room to carry extra players in case someone gets hurt. If Clarkson is moved, even if we have to retain the max 50% salary then the leafs would have an additional $2.6m for depth players. It's not much but it's enough that guys like Kozun Levio Nylander Panik and Percy can fill spots on the teams depth positions. More than 2/3rds of the league still has a compliance buyout, 9 teams have cap space and a compliance buyout. Florida currently has Cap room and a compliance buyout along with an owner who is willing to pay money. Maybe sending a prospect such as Loov or a second round pick could take on Clarkson. There is also the connection in Calgary with BB. Deryk Engelland coming back for an ordinary buyout helps them dump a bad contract. The flames may decide not to use the compliance buyout right away as Clarkson as he could fit into Hartley's system and with the hardworking players in Calgary he could find rejuvenation. All this assumes that Calgary is not one of the listed teams for his MNTC. As it is right now if Clarkson cannot be moved Gardiner is the easiest player to replace with Stu Percy ready to jump in, as much as it pains to see a guy like him go. I say this because Kessel is an elite talent, Bozak and Kadri are the teams only real Centre depth, and after JVR and Lupul the team really doesn't have much for reliable scoaring. Lupul also brings great off ice assets and JVR is signed to a sweet contract that makes him too good to trade for cap room. You won't get value for Jake however, but he is the easiest of the bunch to replace should a Clarkson deal prove too difficult to make.

The next move I would make is addressing coaching. Again Carlyle is not the sole problem with this team however his system does not fit the group of players he is working with. The system named "the swarm" relies on having strong defensively responsible players. Leafs have high talent that love to skate and are far from being defensively responsible. Moving away from this system that only works for teams such as Boston LA Nashville (under Bary Trotz) and NJ can only help. Furthermore it would do wonders for Jake Gardiner. Not that I think he dislikes Carlyle, I don't get access to the dressing room so how would I know, but that I think he is the player most affected by this system. If he begins to become the player we all know he can be and play the way he did during the Boston series, then this makes Phanuef expendable for assets to address other areas and offer more cap room. Dan Balsyma I don't believe anybody fualts for what's happened in the past with Pittsburgh, much of that blame is on Ray Shero for not supplying Balsyma with sufficient wingers for Crosby and Malkin and letting the defence fall to shambles. This isn't to say that I wouldn't take Babcock but I'm not getting my hopes up for him. The move is too risky for Babcock's legacy and if he wants to win he's better off where he is. Other name's that could be in the mix are Steve Spott who coached quite an offensive system in Kitchener, knows the players and seems to have a good rapport with them. Pual Maclean who is a very good coach and his firing shows how detrimental an owner like Ryan Melnyk can be to the team. Finally Todd Mclellen could be on the chopping block if San Jose blows another playoff series, and every team should jump on him if it happens.

Lastly is the development of young players and movement of roster players. I touched on how if Gardiner bounces back that makes Phanuef expendable to save salary and bring in assets. The same can be said about Tyler Bozak. The leafs currently do not have a ton of depth at the centre position, however if Nylander develops into a top 6 forward capable of playing Centre then that makes Bozak expendable. Holland is a cheaper option on the third line and McKegg, Carrick, and Gauthier all can develop into reliable 4th line options. Then with the assets brought in through Bozak and Phanuef and potential Free Agent Signings similar to Santorelli's additional options could exist.

To sum up my plan, I'm not changing much to the roster. Anyone who looks at the roster and does not believe this team is not one of the top 5-10 teams talent wise is kidding themselves. I do believe a great deal of their current woes is related to systemic problems and speed on the top defensive pairing and lack of reliability from Jake Gardiner. We know the team has good goaltending, we know we have Riemer for at least another year, so a backup does not need to be addressed for Bernier until then. Developing our younger talents such as Kadri, Gardiner, Nylander, Percy and Rielly along with continuing to produce players like Levio or potentially Conner Brown (Guy's who can play between the second and third lines) and pick up players such as Kozun, MacArthur, Panik, Raymond, Santorelli and WInnik through FA signings, trade and Waiver Wire will help make the team competitive as early as 2-3 years from now optimistically.

Finally a brief overlook of drafting choice's. This year there looks to be a whole heap of Centres at the top and in the middle. This draft class looks even better than the 2013 one even. Grabbing an additional player there to increase the depth would be a great idea. Another Option is there seems to be a few RHD in the first round that could end up as solid choices to replace Robidas when the time comes. Also a big need that the team needs to address is finding a big fast Power Winger to play top 6 mins (These guys can be found in the late first through the second round (see Burrow's, Brown, Lucic Kesler ect.)

So that's mine, what's yours?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Short version:

• I change MLSE's vision. The goal is not competing for the playoffs… goal is to dominate the playoffs
  • Invest heavily in player development. Figure out what Detroit is doing for its draft picks and do it better
  • Sorry boys but draft. That's the only way to get quality players. UFAs don't become available in the numbers they used to. Trades don't often result in quality players coming our way.
  • The core goes. Top 6 & Blue line. Only Reilly is on my no trade list. I'm one of those that look at this core and salary structure and think, we can't win with this. You see top 5, I don't see Top 5. I don't even see Top 15. Prospects and picks are all I want in return. I don't want position players at this stage. I want prospects and the next 2-3 drafts to start to peak at the same time.
  • Next coach gets an 8 year contract so we don't have this discussion about changing coaches when the results aren't there.
  • and make no mistake, the results won't be there for awhile.
  • I build a culture with Komarov type guys that will work with the youngsters.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Short version:

• I change MLSE's vision. The goal is not competing for the playoffs… goal is to dominate the playoffs
  • Invest heavily in player development. Figure out what Detroit is doing for its draft picks and do it better
  • Sorry boys but draft. That's the only way to get quality players. UFAs don't become available in the numbers they used to. Trades don't often result in quality players coming our way.
  • The core goes. Top 6 & Blue line. Only Reilly is on my no trade list. I'm one of those that look at this core and salary structure and think, we can't win with this. You see top 5, I don't see Top 5. I don't even see Top 15. Prospects and picks are all I want in return. I don't want position players at this stage. I want prospects and the next 2-3 drafts to start to peak at the same time.
  • Next coach gets an 8 year contract so we don't have this discussion about changing coaches when the results aren't there.
Give or take a few things for the most part I feel this is the way I would go as well. I feel we need a change to the core and need to put a huge focus on drafting talent. There are guys on the roster currently I would be more than ok with keeping, but we do need some change of player personnel.

In the end drafting and player development trumps all when building a team, this needs to be emphasized more in the Leafs organization. Hopefully they're on the verge of realizing that.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
impossible question without knowing who is available on other teams and what the value is of the players we have.

As a broad strategy mine would be to just keep building. People get caught up in this you are either a tank team or an elite team. The reality is there are very few truely elite teams year in and year out. The reality is the league is made up of mostly slightly below average to slightly above average teams. We're already in that group, it's tough to get out of it on either direction.

Keep drafting, keep developing, in time the holes on the team will be filled. As more and more players develop internally you make existing players expendable and they can be turned into futures to keep the cupboard stocked.

With a little luck you end up with a very good team that competes in the playoffs every year. But the days of building a stacked team are long gone. You can luck into one like Chicago did, but good luck repeating that.

In the East is all just about getting into the dance. The Rags are not a great team, but they made the Finals. The Devils were not great either and they made it. whoever wins the east this year likely won't be a great team but they will have a good shot at a Cup.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Here's some food for thought.

Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger on TSN radio on the Maple Leafs: “The only point that mgmt in Toronto embraces the thinking that it’s not working & they have to fix it is when the market dictates that it’s worth stepping in & doing something significant” … “That’s why Nonis for the most part since he’s been GM has virtually left all players as marketable. There are no untouchables.” …. “Then you get into the semantics of are they listening on Lupul & Gardiner or shopping?” … “The gap between that semantics game will narrow if things go poorly for the Leafs in the 2nd half of the season.” … “The players that would fetch a decent return are players that this team still feels they need to build around” … “What I can tell you is talking to other teams around the league they look at the Leafs & say they’re doing great.” … “Those other teams look at the standings. They don’t analyze like we do.” … “Closer to home it seems more desperate than how it really is around the league.” … “Where is this organization? Are they a playoff team? Maybe, but they’re not a contending team.” … “Maybe they do have some, not glaring, but weaknesses that mgmt is going to have to address. Can Kadri develop into that 1C?” … “If Kadri doesn’t develop into that 1C is Bozak good enough as a 1C to lead you deep into the playoffs? We don’t know. I like him, but I’m not convinced on a deep team he’s [Bozak] a 1C.” … “Are any 1 of the Leafs so called top 4 D screaming to be a #1 on a real good contending team? No they’re not.” … “So yeah there are some holes that, if they’re not filled internally by development, that maybe sooner rather than later in the next year plus that Toronto as a mgmt group is going to have to address that.” … “Big question always the same: how? Top players aren’t available often by trade & Leafs are a cap team unable to spend in the summer” … “Gauthier & Nylander are top prospects but part of the issue again is that there are no blue chip guys coming up. That’s part of the problem when you’re drafting 10 or lower””

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Short version:

The only problem I see here with your version is that this is what needed to be done when BB cam in and to do it now would be suicide for a GM. There is quite a bit of talent on the roster just too much of the same type and you won't get value for trading them off trading Kessel just to make the team worse and only getting a 2nd and a couple of fringe players (see Gaborik) would result in an instant torching and Bell and Rogers would never let go of there most marketable player (see temple of phil). The only coach that deserves an 8 year contract is Babcock and if he is signed he may very well get that plus an absurd amount of money which he should.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well this thing we have is not terrible.

I would like to go forward with trading the entire first line. Not signing Franson and Gardiner would have to go too. So there is FIVE right quick. Get some Two-way players coming back with an eye on reducing our cap to below the high end and maintaining a young two-way team for infinity.

ha I don't know really. That's a tough one!

If you aren't a two-way player they wouldn't be on my team. Simple but sound prerequisite I think. Can't be against the cap period and always have room for deadline additions.

That's as simple as I can put it.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Here's some food for thought.

Well I see this team drafting in the 5-10 mark by the end of this year, we are seeing that the wheels are beginning to fall off again. It's likely this team is hanging around bellow Boston Columbus NYR Washington Florida and Washington by the end of this month. After that how low they draft depends on how they deal with it during the later quarter of the schedule. So I'm seeing at least another blue chipper. With decent drafting solid prospects like Finn could appear. Andreas Johnson was being ranked around the around the late 1st to early 2nd when the leafs drafted. Why he fell is still a mystery but it seems that it's due to poor scouting of him and him being under sized, still could be a good player like Goudreau has been for Calgary.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
impossible question without knowing who is available on other teams and what the value is of the players we have.

I think we have some reasonable idea of what players are worth by comparing trades of similar players and what teams got them for at both the deadline and off season.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
^ Not a bad plan but an oversight I find is that you still need to ice an NHL roster without throwing all of the prospects the Leafs do have to the wolves .. The Leafs have some good prospects that I think bodes well for the future but the key is to change the culture of the NHL roster into a hard working team that commits to two way hockey.

My plan would be to ride out this season with Carlyle behind the bench and fire him/Nonis on day 1 of the offseason - bring in a new coach/GM that have that same idea of the culture change.

By the trade deadline move out Franson, Booth, and Reimer for picks/prospects .. If a trade can come up for Bozak, Lupul, Phaneuf, Gardiner, and/or Kessel those are some to considering if it's a package of younger players/picks .. IMO they may not be easily moved because of their contracts at the deadline, but if the offer is there for picks/prospects you take a look at the offer. But move those guys over the offseason - it's a lot of players to trade and it's unlikely that it will all happen but what the hell, this is a pipe dream isn't it?

I'd look to build the roster next year around:

JVR - Kadri (resign ~5 years) - Santorelli (resign ~3 years)
Komarov - Holland - Panik
Winnik (resign ~2 years) - ______ - Clarkson

Note - I keep JVR because of his contract and the skill set he brings, and I liked that he steps up in the playoffs; I also have Clarkson because I don't think we'll find a suitor for a trade

Rielly - Polak
Robidas

Bernier

Now I don't expect some of these players to be able to fill their roles right away but 1) some cheap short term UFA stop gaps will be needed; 2) add in some Marlies prospects that could get some minutes next year (Leivo, Carrick, Brown, Percy, Loov, Granberg); and 3) whatever trading the core players gets the Leafs can also be added - the Leafs then play through next season and finish where ever, and build off of that

I'd like to have Santorelli, Komarov, Winnik, Robidas, Polak, and (to a lesser extent) Clarksons as veterans who can hopefully put a hard working mindset into the young guys coming up from the minors through the system (I think the Leafs have some prospects with this type of attitude already which is encouraging). I also keep some young talent that in my eyes could be valuable younger pieces when the Leafs turn a corner into a competitive playoff team (JVR, Kadri, Panik, Holland)

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Well this thing we have is not terrible.

I would like to go forward with trading the entire first line. Not signing Franson and Gardiner would have to go too. So there is FIVE right quick. Get some Two-way players coming back with an eye on reducing our cap to below the high end and maintaining a young two-way team for infinity.

Like I have said in previous posts, trading Kessel is Suicide and Bell/Rogers would never approve of it. JVR would be an interesting piece to put on the trade block. If Hall is available then maybe a big deal could be made around that (unlikely) Lupul I don't like the idea of trading because he brings too much off ice while still being a good player on ice. Bozak and Kadri as i mentioned are all we have at centre and I don't feel we can move them w/o a devastating blow to the team. Franson may end up going this off season, which would be sad as he is a tremendous asset on the RHS, I can see why people may not like him as his footspeed is kinda scary however if paired with Gardiner or Rielly we could have a tandem like the Keith Seabrook one but with more offensive flair (which is the one thing this team is oozing with).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What I would Do - an Opus by Daisy.

--I would do a John Davidson for the fans and media. Basically say, I can't promise that we'd win a cup in x years - but we will work hard. every night. If players don't want to do this, they won't be Toronto Maple Leafs Players.

--- that we'd be committed to building Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey. this means accountability from every facet (not just on the ice, but behind the bench, in conditioning facilities, in scouting, management, etc). I don't want to 'chase' other teams. but apply good aspects from other areas (including CHL/AHL) and use it to craft something that is uniquely our own.

---that we will be strongly, and firmly be committed to drafting the best skilled players, but want to strengthen our ties to the GHTL and try to draft some strong Canadian/Ontario born players. (ie: get some Leaf Fans onto our team)

--the Leafs will use their significant resources to have state of the art everything.

--we will no longer be giving out no move/no trade contracts. we will compensate instead with term and dollars. if this isn't acceptable for players then they can play for the 29 other teams that will give one out. we will no longer be hamstrung by unmoveable contracts.

--if players no longer want to be a Maple Leaf, we will move them out right away, and while the return may seem like it's not fair - i'd rather have an unfair return, than a player who doesn't want to be a Leaf.

and if everyone gets on board (media , fanbase and us - we'll accept the two day OH MY GOD WE LOST?!!! reaction but no pressure to change every little thing), we'll achieve our goal of not just winning #14... but 15 and counting.

Ace88*

Short version:

Great, enjoy the basement for the next 10 years.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Only point point I really need to make about the full tank job is look at Edmonton. It can get ugly and scary plus the trading of Kessel I don't believe would ever happen. With that I would rather build to make use of his talent while he's here than waste it trying to build for when he leaves

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think we have some reasonable idea of what players are worth by comparing trades of similar players and what teams got them for at both the deadline and off season.

sort of, but every player is unique. Who is the Phil Kessel equivalent that hs been traded in the last say 18 months? What about Dion?

On top of that you can't just suggest random teams will even enter negotiations without knowing if they are interested in our players. Then add on the wrinkle of limited no trade clauses and it becomes a daunting if not impossible task to get any real grasp on who could go where and for what.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA

--I would do a John Davidson for the fans and media. Basically say, I can't promise that we'd win a cup in x years - but we will work hard. every night. If players don't want to do this, they won't be Toronto Maple Leafs Players.

--- that we'd be committed to building Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey. this means accountability from every facet (not just on the ice, but behind the bench, in conditioning facilities, in scouting, management, etc). I don't want to 'chase' other teams. but apply good aspects from other areas (including CHL/AHL) and use it to craft something that is uniquely our own.

---that we will be strongly, and firmly be committed to drafting the best skilled players, but want to strengthen our ties to the GHTL and try to draft some strong Canadian/Ontario born players. (ie: get some Leaf Fans onto our team)

--the Leafs will use their significant resources to have state of the art everything.

--we will no longer be giving out no move/no trade contracts. we will compensate instead with term and dollars. if this isn't acceptable for players then they can play for the 29 other teams that will give one out. we will no longer be hamstrung by unmoveable contracts.

--if players no longer want to be a Maple Leaf, we will move them out right away, and while the return may seem like it's not fair - i'd rather have an unfair return, than a player who doesn't want to be a Leaf.

and if everyone gets on board (media , fanbase and us - we'll accept the two day OH MY GOD WE LOST?!!! reaction but no pressure to change every little thing), we'll achieve our goal of not just winning #14... but 15 and counting.

It's pretty sad that the leafs aren't doing a number of these things already...

As for the NTC bit BB sort of implemented that by giving guys MNTC which seems to be the way alot of teams are going

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I typed a long post on my phone and put it in the wrong thread.

Hopefully Mod will move it here.

This team needs to make major changes and not little Santorelli ones.

We need better players, not only in talent. But in character, leadership, drive, courage, IQ.

Purge this complacent bunch in essence. Or this team will be stuck where we are.

[Mod note - here it is]

When i have stopped evaluating this team.

Which would take 5 mins. I would target 2 blockbuster deals to rebuild this team.

The core players need to be gutted.

The only player I would retain and build from would be Rielly. But even he could be had at the right price.

Kessel and Dion would be on top of my list to move. Due to salary they will be difficult. But if there are takers I would explore prospect and pick.

Bozak and JVR are low cap hits, they would bring back picks and prospects too from contending teams.

Kadri has to be moved. He is part of this team's failing core, at 24 he has proven too complacent and flawed to be a core player.

Gardiner like Kadri is another of the flawed group. Move him to any taker.

Bernier and Reimer out so we can tank the rest of the year to bring us closer to Eichel. Neither are Belfour, besides I want Niemi.

Lupul and Clarkson are likely not going to get much. I am reluctant to give players away. We hold them and hope they can support a new core group of hopefully driven 2 way players.

So out goes Dion, Kessel, Kadri, JVR, Bozak and perhaps Bermier and Reimer.

What we get back hopefully will change the culture of this team.

Typed on a BlackBerry

Edit wrong thread. Should be in your plan going fwd thread. Mod pls move post.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
You know, I look back on when we have had success in the past and, those teams were all veteran laden with kids sprinkled in. Pat Burns had a no name defense that played as well or better than any six in the league. The forwards were all leaders with a couple young kids learning from their every move. This team oozed of character and was not a young team built through the draft.
Pat Quinns teams were identical. Who else in the league could throw the character over the boards like we could? Sundin, Tucker, Roberts, Mogilny, Owen Nolan, Domi, etc.
I think the point I am trying to make is that it takes a certain kind of player to play in Toronto. Veterans who have been in the league for a while and know what to expect. I like the idea of drafting/developing our own but, the kids need veteran leaders they can look up to as well. Unfortunately, our leaders aren't getting it done.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well I see this team drafting in the 5-10 mark by the end of this year, we are seeing that the wheels are beginning to fall off again. It's likely this team is hanging around bellow Boston Columbus NYR Washington Florida and Washington by the end of this month. After that how low they draft depends on how they deal with it during the later quarter of the schedule. So I'm seeing at least another blue chipper. With decent drafting solid prospects like Finn could appear. Andreas Johnson was being ranked around the around the late 1st to early 2nd when the leafs drafted. Why he fell is still a mystery but it seems that it's due to poor scouting of him and him being under sized, still could be a good player like Goudreau has been for Calgary.

They thought Johnson was lazy but had a sports type asthma apparently.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
It's pretty sad that the leafs aren't doing a number of these things already...

As for the NTC bit BB sort of implemented that by giving guys MNTC which seems to be the way alot of teams are going

Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant my man.:handclap:

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014

Friggin' Brilliant my friend. If the players cared half as much as the fans , we wouldn't need these forums.

Durkin67

Just as the title says, If you were the GM what would your plan be?

Personally my plan would be nothing to drastic, other than trading off Clarkson purely for cap reasons. The leafs have the cap room, provided the cap does increase to $73m as its supposed to, to resign the 3 big RFA's (Bernier, Franson and Kadri) all in contracts between $4m and $5m. They can also sign Santorelli to roughly $3m and Winnik for roughly $1.5m. Unfortunately this leaves less than $700k for the 12th forward and no room to carry extra players in case someone gets hurt. If Clarkson is moved, even if we have to retain the max 50% salary then the leafs would have an additional $2.6m for depth players. It's not much but it's enough that guys like Kozun Levio Nylander Panik and Percy can fill spots on the teams depth positions. More than 2/3rds of the league still has a compliance buyout, 9 teams have cap space and a compliance buyout. Florida currently has Cap room and a compliance buyout along with an owner who is willing to pay money. Maybe sending a prospect such as Loov or a second round pick could take on Clarkson. There is also the connection in Calgary with BB. Deryk Engelland coming back for an ordinary buyout helps them dump a bad contract. The flames may decide not to use the compliance buyout right away as Clarkson as he could fit into Hartley's system and with the hardworking players in Calgary he could find rejuvenation. All this assumes that Calgary is not one of the listed teams for his MNTC. As it is right now if Clarkson cannot be moved Gardiner is the easiest player to replace with Stu Percy ready to jump in, as much as it pains to see a guy like him go. I say this because Kessel is an elite talent, Bozak and Kadri are the teams only real Centre depth, and after JVR and Lupul the team really doesn't have much for reliable scoaring. Lupul also brings great off ice assets and JVR is signed to a sweet contract that makes him too good to trade for cap room. You won't get value for Jake however, but he is the easiest of the bunch to replace should a Clarkson deal prove too difficult to make.

The next move I would make is addressing coaching. Again Carlyle is not the sole problem with this team however his system does not fit the group of players he is working with. The system named "the swarm" relies on having strong defensively responsible players. Leafs have high talent that love to skate and are far from being defensively responsible. Moving away from this system that only works for teams such as Boston LA Nashville (under Bary Trotz) and NJ can only help. Furthermore it would do wonders for Jake Gardiner. Not that I think he dislikes Carlyle, I don't get access to the dressing room so how would I know, but that I think he is the player most affected by this system. If he begins to become the player we all know he can be and play the way he did during the Boston series, then this makes Phanuef expendable for assets to address other areas and offer more cap room. Dan Balsyma I don't believe anybody fualts for what's happened in the past with Pittsburgh, much of that blame is on Ray Shero for not supplying Balsyma with sufficient wingers for Crosby and Malkin and letting the defence fall to shambles. This isn't to say that I wouldn't take Babcock but I'm not getting my hopes up for him. The move is too risky for Babcock's legacy and if he wants to win he's better off where he is. Other name's that could be in the mix are Steve Spott who coached quite an offensive system in Kitchener, knows the players and seems to have a good rapport with them. Pual Maclean who is a very good coach and his firing shows how detrimental an owner like Ryan Melnyk can be to the team. Finally Todd Mclellen could be on the chopping block if San Jose blows another playoff series, and every team should jump on him if it happens.

Lastly is the development of young players and movement of roster players. I touched on how if Gardiner bounces back that makes Phanuef expendable to save salary and bring in assets. The same can be said about Tyler Bozak. The leafs currently do not have a ton of depth at the centre position, however if Nylander develops into a top 6 forward capable of playing Centre then that makes Bozak expendable. Holland is a cheaper option on the third line and McKegg, Carrick, and Gauthier all can develop into reliable 4th line options. Then with the assets brought in through Bozak and Phanuef and potential Free Agent Signings similar to Santorelli's additional options could exist.

To sum up my plan, I'm not changing much to the roster. Anyone who looks at the roster and does not believe this team is not one of the top 5-10 teams talent wise is kidding themselves. I do believe a great deal of their current woes is related to systemic problems and speed on the top defensive pairing and lack of reliability from Jake Gardiner. We know the team has good goaltending, we know we have Riemer for at least another year, so a backup does not need to be addressed for Bernier until then. Developing our younger talents such as Kadri, Gardiner, Nylander, Percy and Rielly along with continuing to produce players like Levio or potentially Conner Brown (Guy's who can play between the second and third lines) and pick up players such as Kozun, MacArthur, Panik, Raymond, Santorelli and WInnik through FA signings, trade and Waiver Wire will help make the team competitive as early as 2-3 years from now optimistically.

Finally a brief overlook of drafting choice's. This year there looks to be a whole heap of Centres at the top and in the middle. This draft class looks even better than the 2013 one even. Grabbing an additional player there to increase the depth would be a great idea. Another Option is there seems to be a few RHD in the first round that could end up as solid choices to replace Robidas when the time comes. Also a big need that the team needs to address is finding a big fast Power Winger to play top 6 mins (These guys can be found in the late first through the second round (see Burrow's, Brown, Lucic Kesler ect.)

So that's mine, what's yours?

I'd start with deciding who fits the Shannahan model. The rest are expendable, regardless of pedigree or price tag.

So, what is the Shannahan model?

Im not 100% sure of all that it might entail because I'm not Shanny, but I believe it begins with character. If you're a skill guy without a team first mentality, you're not needed, no exceptions.

Lock up your goalie long term and determine your D core. For me, that is Phaneuf, Franson, Rielly, Robidas and Polak, who is a fantastic bottom pairing shutdown guy.Leave a spot open for someone to step up and claim it.

Top 6 is a poorly engineered mish mash of randomly assembled pieces that just don't work together. No attention to detail, no commitment to winning the 50-50 battles, no desire to fall back and support the D properly.

Lupul was a cap dump to justify moving Gardiner for Beauchemin. He'd be an overachiever at 4 million a year, but considering his age and his injury history, you have to wonder how useful he is going forward.

Bozak is the best 3C in the game, miscast as a top centre, because he's the only one with the rapport necessary to play with Kessel.

JvR is highly skilled, but appears to be mentally disenfranchised at times.

Kessel is a sniper who will begin to slow down before the team is a contender.

Kadri is never going to be that game breaker we all seem to expect every top ten pick to become. But, that's ok...as long as he doesn't expect to be paid like a game breaker.

Clarkson was acquired to be that character guy who can play the game on whatever level is needed; physical or offence oriented, while providing the leadership a championship team needs. On a more cohesive team, he'd be more successful.

Reimer wants to be a starter. But, he isn't going to get that shot here. He needs a shot in a new city.

Conclusions:

Keesel is out
Lupul is out
Gardiner is out
Kadri, for anything north of 4.5 million is out*
Gardiner is out
Reimer is out
* if a package for a legit 1C or future 1C includes Kadri, he's out

Players of Interest:

Anyone named Staal
Leon Draisaitl
Ryan O Reilly
Brayden Schenn

There's no fast track but I think you start with establishing an identity based on commitment to doing the detail things, and maintaining a strong work ethic. In LA, it's a pack mentality and everyone checks the egos and attitudes for the greater good. If they don't, the pack will sort them out in a hurry. Detroit has a similar philosophy. No rock stars, just a group committed to winning as a unit.
Toronto is all rock stars with no commitment to doing the little things. They hang their D and their goalies out to dry by waiting to be sprung so they can make the highlight reel. Complete opposite of that pack mentality that champions all demonstrate.

Hopefully, Shanny gets down to business and starts weeding them out, but as I said elsewhere, I think he's just handing them the rope and observing whether they use it to hang themselves, or to cooperate and all pull on it together.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You know, I look back on when we have had success in the past and, those teams were all veteran laden with kids sprinkled in. Pat Burns had a no name defense that played as well or better than any six in the league. The forwards were all leaders with a couple young kids learning from their every move. This team oozed of character and was not a young team built through the draft.
Pat Quinns teams were identical. Who else in the league could throw the character over the boards like we could? Sundin, Tucker, Roberts, Mogilny, Owen Nolan, Domi, etc.
I think the point I am trying to make is that it takes a certain kind of player to play in Toronto. Veterans who have been in the league for a while and know what to expect. I like the idea of drafting/developing our own but, the kids need veteran leaders they can look up to as well. Unfortunately, our leaders aren't getting it done.

It's a completely different game with the cap. When guys hit UFA they get into that territory of being paid more than what they deliver on the ice.

In today's game you need a bunch of your key guys to be young and under reasonable contacts. Plus it's more of a speed game today, which favours the kids.

i do think this team could use more leaders among the top 6 forwards. When Phil is your beacon, you're going to have a lot of shipwrecked boats. We seem to have added some character in the bottom 6, but we need it throughout. i guess we're hoping it develops from within, but that takes time. Steve Yzerman wasn't known as a great leader from jump street, but he developed into one. Can a guy like Kadri do that down the line?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Friggin' Brilliant my friend. If the players cared half as much as the fans , we wouldn't need these forums.

yes because the teams would be out of business due to mismanagement.

i love when people use the logic that evil management doesnt care. These people are used to winning in life, they don't want to lose. And they LOVE money, which they would get much more of If the team was successful. But sure Johnny 6 Pack who comes home and watches the Leafs on TV cares more about building a successful team than the people who's jobs are riding on their success or failure.

honestly people, get a clue.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
keep-calm-and-nuke-it-all-2.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad